++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 04-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
New Bruce Springsteen Album This Fall

From http://www.backstreets.com

BREAKING NEWS... SONY SEZ: NEW SPRINGSTEEN STUDIO ALBUM DUE THIS FALL

At the big Sony sales meeting this week, much of the excitement revolved around Prince's presence in the building. But to us (with all due respect to the purple one), the big news regards the Artist Currently Known as Springsteen. As an industry source tells Backstreets, label sales reps have just been informed by Sony that a new studio album from Springsteen is planned for later this year -- that's right, a mere two years and change after The Rising. No further details at the moment -- no title, no release date, no recording info (though word has it that Bruce has been logging hours in his home studio this year). And as always, we've gotta maintain a believe-it-when-we-see-it outlook when it comes to a new Springsteen record (he's changed his mind before). But according to the ones who'll be selling his Rising follow-up, it's not too much further up the road.
-------------------------------------------------

Got my fingers crossed that it's true. Also hope it's full band though I love Bruce solo.

Now, I need money. Lots and lots of money.
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/
Old 04-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
LOL, SmilinSkullRing...this is cool news. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Lechium
USER INFO »
Get ready to flame me, kids.

Springsteen is pretty boring musically, and lyricly even more so... no fresh ideas for years had came from him... my folks actually bough his last cd for some wierd reason, but never even finished listning to it for the first time i think lol
Old 04-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Lechium) Get ready to flame me, kids.

Springsteen is pretty boring musically, and lyricly even more so... no fresh ideas for years had came from him... my folks actually bough his last cd for some wierd reason, but never even finished listning to it for the first time i think lol

Hmm, nah you are wrong. Musically he draws from the great rock acts to bring his own sound. He's paved his way and many people call him an influence. Lyrically he is one of the best of all-time. He's up there with Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. Of course, you can argue that Dylan is better and you will have valid points nonetheless Bruce stands the test of time with his lyrics.

His last cd isn't his best, but it's pretty damn good and a classic. You won't find many artists in the industry for 30 years still putting out relevant and fresh music instead of just rehashing the past.

Examples that clearly show he's great lyrically. I would say better than Creed (which he is), but from reading your posts it wouldn't matter because it seems you don't care for Creed.

Note: not complete songs

Lost In The Flood

That pure American brother, dull-eyed and empty-faced
races Sundays in Jersey in a Chevy stock super eight
He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got Bound For Glory in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy The Saint
Well the blaze and noise boy, he's gunnin' that bitch loaded to blastin' point
He rides head first into a hurricane and disappears into a point
And there's nothin' left but some blood where the body fell
That is, nothin' left that you could sell
just junk all across the horizon, a real highwayman's farewell
And he said "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm
Or was he just lost in the flood?
Eighth Avenue sailors in satin shirts whisper in the air
Some storefront incarnation of Maria, she's puttin' on me the stare
and Bronx's best apostle stands with his hand on his own hardware
Everything stops, you hear five, quick shots, the cops come up for air
And now the whiz-bang gang from uptown, they're shootin' up the street
And that cat from the Bronx starts lettin' loose
but he gets blown right off his feet
And some kid comes blastin' round the corner but a cop puts him right away
He lays on the street holding his leg screaming something in Spanish
Still breathing when I walked away
And somebody said "Hey man did you see that? His body hit the street with such a beautiful thud"
I wonder what the dude was sayin' or was he just lost in the flood?

Growin' Up

I stood stone-like at midnight suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strolled all alone through a fallout zone and came out with my soul untouched
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Ooh-ooh growin' up

New York City Serenade

Billy he's down by the railroad tracks
Sittin' low in the back seat of his Cadillac
Diamond Jackie, she's so intact
As she falls so softly beneath him
Jackie's heels are stacked
Billy's got cleats on his boots
Together they're gonna boogaloo down Broadway and come back home with the loot
It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute
It's a mad dog's promenade
So walk tall or baby don't walk at all

Prove It All Night

Everybody's got a hunger, a hunger they can't resist,
There's so much that you want, you deserve much more than this,
But if dreams came true, oh, wouldn't that be nice,
But this ain't no dream we're living through tonight,
Girl, you want it, you take it, you pay the price.

There's much more.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #5
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
better then Creed? that is blasphemey....banish you! i'll seriously think about buying this so many records, so little money!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) better then Creed? that is blasphemey....banish you! i'll seriously think about buying this so many records, so little money!

LOL.

Yeah definitely so many records, so little money. Have you bought anything by Bruce yet? If not I would recommend Darkness On The Edge Of Town though Essential Bruce Springsteen gives a very nice overview, but doesn't quite give good enough examples in my opinion.

I'll have to send you something again and soon....if you like.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:23 AM   #7
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by SmilinSkullRing) LOL.

Yeah definitely so many records, so little money. Have you bought anything by Bruce yet? If not I would recommend Darkness On The Edge Of Town though Essential Bruce Springsteen gives a very nice overview, but doesn't quite give good enough examples in my opinion.

I'll have to send you something again and soon....if you like.

yeah sure if you want to......i haven't bought any Bruce yet! I haven't even bought all the PJ and Creed related stuff that I want and I will be getting Velvet Revolver's album the day it comes out. I will get it his Essentials though..........
Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 AM   #8
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) yeah sure if you want to......i haven't bought any Bruce yet! I haven't even bought all the PJ and Creed related stuff that I want and I will be getting Velvet Revolver's album the day it comes out. I will get it his Essentials though..........

I plan on getting Velvet Revovler's album as well. Once you do pick up a Bruce album let me know what you think.

I'll pm you when I get ready to send something of Bruce's. I'll probably pick a 1978 boot.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:35 AM   #9
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by SmilinSkullRing) I plan on getting Velvet Revovler's album as well. Once you do pick up a Bruce album let me know what you think.

I'll pm you when I get ready to send something of Bruce's. I'll probably pick a 1978 boot.

I hope VR doesn't dissapoint i'm really psyched to hear their album! Sure 78 the good ol' days! he's not bad on the guitar is Bruce.......i'm also meant to buy a Social Distortion album. I have this deal with crazy marge where she'll buy Second Skin if I buy a SD album. None of us have done it yet!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:44 AM   #10
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) I hope VR doesn't dissapoint i'm really psyched to hear their album! Sure 78 the good ol' days! he's not bad on the guitar is Bruce.......i'm also meant to buy a Social Distortion album. I have this deal with crazy marge where she'll buy Second Skin if I buy a SD album. None of us have done it yet!

I hope so as well! The good ol' days. Haha, yep. Now if only I was alive then. He's definitely not bad on the guitar, and I think some older stuff will enhance your feelings of that.

Buy a SD album for sure! They are great. Mike Ness is a Bruce fan and a Johnny Cash fan. It so happens on his solo album "Cheatin' at Solitaire" he and Bruce sing together on "Misery Loves Company". Great song.

Second Skin? Mayfield Four album, right? I still need that.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #11
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by SmilinSkullRing) I hope so as well! The good ol' days. Haha, yep. Now if only I was alive then. He's definitely not bad on the guitar, and I think some older stuff will enhance your feelings of that.

Buy a SD album for sure! They are great. Mike Ness is a Bruce fan and a Johnny Cash fan. It so happens on his solo album "Cheatin' at Solitaire" he and Bruce sing together on "Misery Loves Company". Great song.

Second Skin? Mayfield Four album, right? I still need that.

yeah MF4 album it is very good, such a good voice and not bad on the axe either. A Mike Ness and Bruce duet well I would never.......will buy that but you know how it is!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #12
Mr.Anderson
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Anderson Send a message via AIM to Mr.Anderson Send a message via MSN to Mr.Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.Anderson
Quote: (Originally Posted by Lechium) Get ready to flame me, kids.

I have to agree with you here Lechium. Personally I find Bruce Springsteen one of the most overrated musicians out there. Plus I hate it when people claim him to be a great guitarist, the guy uses a kappo for pete's sake. Plus like Lechium mention is music isn't much when it comes to his lyrics. There extremely linear and he spouts off cheesy lines about US to get people into his music.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I disagree, at least with his earlier stuff. He was writing about life and a lot of people could relate to his stuff. And there's not a thing wrong with linear writing. If you reach people with your words, then you've done your job. It doesn't have to be way out there to be good. He's written some very moving songs over the years, linear or not. And a lot of fun songs, too.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson) I have to agree with you here Lechium. Personally I find Bruce Springsteen one of the most overrated musicians out there. Plus I hate it when people claim him to be a great guitarist, the guy uses a kappo for pete's sake. Plus like Lechium mention is music isn't much when it comes to his lyrics. There extremely linear and he spouts off cheesy lines about US to get people into his music.

Sure, he's not a fantastic guitarist technically, but I get tired of perfect technique. He uses riffs and such very well to convey the message of his songs. I hear some solos that these perfect guitarists play and it has no feeling and does nothing to enhance the song. You can take a solo that Bruce plays and watch him play it and you will feel that song without even knowing the lyrics. I'll take that emotion and passion over perfection/technique anyday. I've heard many good guitarists defend capos by the way. Some people get snobby in their musical abilities or leanings and go against it, but it seems many who know what they are talking about don't really mind them.

Cheesy lines about the U.S.? Let me guess, you think Born In The U.S.A. is a flag-waving jingoistic song don't you? People should really listen to the lyrics.

Bruce's writing isn't that linear, and I see where you are coming from. Still doesn't take away the fact that he's one of the best. Seriously, go read his lyrics from anytime you want, but especially the '70s. Don't just rely on Born In The USA when you are getting the meaning wrong anyway.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #15
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) yeah MF4 album it is very good, such a good voice and not bad on the axe either. A Mike Ness and Bruce duet well I would never.......will buy that but you know how it is!

I just saw that BMG Music has the MF4 album. I think I'll order it soon if I can. I have Misery Loves Compnay on my computer and may have someone upload it so you can download it.