++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 12-19-2002, 10:52 PM   #16
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Most impressive!!

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 12-20-2002, 03:49 PM   #17
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by JenRN
GGG23.... I guess your kids are the exeption!  I did not say ALL were that way, hey I was not raised that way either, I worked for MANY years to get everything I have and I am STILL paying on student loans after 8 years!  So yes there are exeptions to the majority for sure!  I hope your girls know what they are getting into with nursing!  I love taking care of patients BUT nursing is a daily struggle for many to keep their head above water, and the responsiblity is IMENSE!!!!!!!!!!

They are bright girls, and they know what they are getting into...Their deceased grandmother"My Mother" was a nurse also.. it's in their blood....
Old 12-20-2002, 03:57 PM   #18
JenRN
USER INFO »
GGG23.... I wish them the best!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 12-20-2002, 04:42 PM   #19
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Thank you JenRN
Old 12-21-2002, 04:02 AM   #20
souldancer
USER INFO »
Thanks GGG for your examples - good for them and you! I know we all generalize and look at the 'norm' when these kinds of questions arise. I appreciate Aimee's disclaimer about 'generalizations' .

While I have been exposed to the 20sh profiles mentioned earlier, and agree that's fair to say there are some like that. However, I have also been fortunate to meet some very responsible, compassionate and independent 20 year olds. Just tonight I was with three social service outreach workers, two females and one male, dedicated to helping homeless teens - making peanuts, but doing it because they cared and wanted to be part of a system that was proactive rather than reactive and built aroud blame and punishment. I admire them for their courage to face the pain they see, the strength to build boundaries and the hope that maybe a fraction of their clients will survive to be middle-aged.
The question here should really be - 'what kind of society, parental development and educational system produces these generalized 20 year olds?'..they aren't this way for NO FRIGGIN REASON! And, I see lots of 50-60 year olds with the same narcissistic qualitites. I'm not denying that we have a problem, just would like to see some constructivity. Was it Mandella that said, 'be the change you want to see?' Why can't this wealthy, educated nation nurture children to be 20 year olds filled with integrity?! We can produce lots of sophisticated weapons and high tech media devices...but, when it comes to developing healthy, vital, whole self-realized compassionate humans - I guess we are blind to the long-term investment!
Old 12-21-2002, 09:33 AM   #21
Altair
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by souldancer We can produce lots of sophisticated weapons and high tech media devices...but, when it comes to developing healthy, vital, whole self-realized compassionate humans - I guess we are blind to the long-term investment! [/b]

Too true. Unfortunately, we're such a mechanic society and even if we did pour a substantial amount of energy into education, it would only be into teaching reading, writing, math, social studies, and science. Health is lost in this picture. You'll see it on the report card, but it's usually left blank by the teacher because it isn't taught. I guess we figure the parents are responsible for teaching their children how to become "healthy, vital, whole self-realized compassionate humans." The problem is, they are the blind trying to lead the blind. It's cyclic. How can unhealthy, weak, fragmented, cold-hearted people teach their children to be otherwise? Their parents failed to teach them and they will fail to teach their own children.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 12-21-2002, 10:13 AM   #22
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by souldancer
The question here should really be - 'what kind of society, parental development and educational system produces these generalized 20 year olds?'..they aren't this way for NO FRIGGIN REASON!  And, I see lots of 50-60 year olds with the same narcissistic qualitites.

That was the point I was trying to make before. It's not just 20-somethings. Apathy and greed are equal opportunity afflictions. They affect people of all ages, genders, colors, ethnicities, etc. And it need not be an institution. You can choose for yourself whether you're going to be a productive, contributing member of a good society, or you can choose your own path of destruction (of which there are many to choose).
Old 12-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #23
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by souldancer
The question here should really be - 'what kind of society, parental development and educational system produces these generalized 20 year olds?'..they aren't this way for NO FRIGGIN REASON!  And, I see lots of 50-60 year olds with the same narcissistic qualitites.  I'm not denying that we have a problem, just would like to see some constructivity.  Was it Mandella that said, 'be the change you want to see?'  Why can't this wealthy, educated nation nurture children to be 20 year olds filled with integrity?! We can produce lots of sophisticated weapons and high tech media devices...but, when it comes to developing healthy, vital, whole self-realized compassionate humans - I guess we are blind to the long-term investment!

its the allmighty dollar. if you remember the first day the stock market opened up after 911, what did everybody do? they all sold thier stocks. bill maur was the only one i remember saying anything about it and he got shit listed for it. its money.... why do most kids want to be rock stars? fame and money. why do record execs hire bands that they know we'll want. money. why do college kids want to grow up to be doctors, lawyers, computer geeks (me intended, with a pun!), architects, or business majors? money. how many kids do you actually see wanting to be teachers? i admire a person who wants to grow up to be a high school teacher. anyone can teach elementary and middle school. college professors dont care as much as high shcool teachers cause they spend most of thier years trying to reach tenure. i tutor kids in math and computers, i've thought of going into education as something to fall back on, but its just not as tempting as the computer world. sure its a lot less stress full than the the IT world and theres more satisfaction then almost anywhere else, but that doesnt seem to be the motivation i need to make a career change.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:20 PM   #24
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Bill Maher's troubles had nothing to do with his mentioning the stock market. He caught Hell for saying, "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."
Old 12-21-2002, 10:02 PM   #25
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I never liked Bill Maher and was glad that his show was cancelled.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 12-22-2002, 12:26 AM   #26
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
i liked bill maher, he was funny. think the new colin quinn show is better, same PI idea just better.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:51 AM   #27
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Bill Maher was OK, but sometimes he was just annoying.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:34 AM   #28
souldancer
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Altair
 The problem is, they are the blind trying to lead the blind.  It's cyclic.  How can unhealthy, weak, fragmented, cold-hearted people teach their children to be otherwise?  Their parents failed to teach them and they will fail to teach their own children.
OK, but what if we had healthy, strong, whole, warm-hearted children that grew up to be parents to teach their own children...a cycle founded on love and integrity? I would like to hope for a glimmer of light. Do you see a flicker? And, yes, I agree that education needs to be broadened - for the whole child's needs about Living - not just the traditional content - regurgitation.

Quote: Originally posted by Mulletman
its the allmighty dollar....

Yeah, maybe if we had some stocks called "children and the future" and we had the Fortune 500s investing, THEN maybe there would be an incentive....maybe people would invest all their resources, financial, time, talent, creativity and caring to develop human potential.

MULLET - our society needs good teachers, especially sensitive male rold models......reconsider!

Dang, I used to love Bill Maher! Kind of lost interest lately, but I admired his bold truths and fearless provocations, and think that sometimes we need to get our of our comfort zones of this surreal Hollywoodesque pretty little world and face the ugliness to move forward. Many people are so apathetic - a little riled up inner revoution is needed to break through to a higher level.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:39 AM   #29
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
So true, SD. People, politicians chief among them, are so afraid to get *political* and take action for fear of alienating their benefactors. They are so afraid to lose their *contributions* that they barely take stands on anything anymore. Makes you wonder what they hope to accomplish other than stuff their pockets full of dough.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:41 AM   #30
souldancer
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
. Makes you wonder what they hope to accomplish other than stuff their pockets full of dough.
...yeah, maybe another term or trading for their own party. I hate to be so cynical but.... guess I am feeling that way right now...