++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Political Banter
Today's Posts «

Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Chase
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Most in U.S. Favor Death if Saddam Is Convicted

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187215,00.html

WASHINGTON — Most people in the United States want Saddam Hussein to hang if he's convicted at his trial, a view not shared by some longtime American allies, according to AP-Ipsos polling.

In eight other countries, where the death penalty mostly has been abolished, the poll found that people there prefer that the former Iraqi leader spend the rest of his life in prison. The countries are Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, South Korea and Spain.

Similar, but less dramatic, disparities were found when U.S. attitudes were compared with the eight countries on whether Saddam is getting a fair trial and whether Iraqis are better off since he was driven from office in a U.S.-led invasion nearly three years ago.

Saddam, who was captured nine months after the invasion, and seven co-defendants are being tried on charges of carrying out torture, illegal arrests and executions. They face death by hanging if convicted.

Almost six in 10 in the U.S., 57 percent, said Saddam should be executed if he's convicted in the trial now in its fifth month in Baghdad.

"If he truly destroyed as many lives as they say he did, then he doesn't deserve to live," said Craig Larson, a military retiree who lives in Chesapeake, Va.

The death penalty has been abolished in seven of the nine countries polled. South Korea has talked about abolishing it. In the United States, where 1,012 have been executed over the past 28 years and at least 3,300 more are on death row, public support remains strong for state-sanctioned executions.

A study by Amnesty International found that more than nine of the 10 executions worldwide in 2004 were carried out in the United States, China, Iran and Vietnam.

Public support for sending Saddam to prison for life was strongest in Spain and Italy, where seven in 10 favored a life sentence over death. A similar sentiment was expressed in Germany, where residents are still sensitive to the violence of the Nazis and Adolph Hitler during World War II.

"I hope that [Saddam] will be not sentenced to death," said Giovanna Cippitello, sitting on a wall near the Pantheon in Rome, "but that he is made into a living example for other dictators around the world."

In the United States, the survey found more than one-third favoring life in prison for Saddam if he is convicted.

"I am not one for putting people to death," said Molly Gearin of Bullhead City, Ariz. "I'm not God."

The poll found 73 percent of those surveyed in the United States saying Saddam is getting a fair trial.

Many in the other countries surveyed aren't so sure. A third or less of the people in Mexico, Spain and South Korea say Saddam is getting a fair trial. Less than half in France say he is getting a fair shake.

"The trial is not fair," said Evelyne Jacotot, 56, a seller of rare stamps in Paris. "We're judging him little by little, for each act he's committed."

The polling also found that two-thirds of the people in the U.S. were convinced that Iraqis are better off now than they were under Saddam — a higher percentage than in the other countries polled.

People in Mexico, South Korea and Spain were far more inclined to say Iraqis are doing worse. In Germany and France — two countries that strongly opposed the U.S. invasion of Iraq — people were about evenly divided on that question.

Residents of Britain, Italy and Canada — while not as optimistic as people in the United States — were more likely to say Iraqis are better off now than they were under Saddam than to say they are "worse off." Britain and Italy have been among the strongest allies of U.S. Iraq policy.

The AP-Ipsos Poll interviewed 1,600 people in Mexico and about 1,000 adults in each of the other eight countries. The surveys were conducted from Feb. 10-19 and had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points in Mexico and 3 percentage points in the others.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Re: Most in U.S. Favor Death if Saddam Is Convicted

Well...I think he must to be condemned by the justice to pay for all of his cruel acts...but I dont think about the death penalty as a solution...

and for the poll in countries you mentioned Im surprised that you dont add Brazil as a country that has people who supported Saddam governement since I live here...lol
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

Last edited by Ana4Stapp : 03-25-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Well...I think he must to be condemned by the justice to pay for all of his cruel acts...but I dont think about the death penalty as a solution...

and for the poll in countries you mentioned Im surprised that you dont add Brazil as a country that has people who supported Saddam governement...

Good deal for Hussein then. Gets to brutally execute thousands of his own people and only gets life... which will most likely include 3 meals a deal, a roof over his head, and some showers. A little better than what those victims had. You know, the ones who were all thrown into one giant hole in the ground and were stacked on top of each other while there family members at home had no idea where they were. I don't know if there is punishment great enough for people like this. I do believe that the Iraqis should convict him and execute him.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Good deal for Hussein then. Gets to brutally execute thousands of his own people and only gets life... which will most likely include 3 meals a deal, a roof over his head, and some showers. A little better than what those victims had. You know, the ones who were all thrown into one giant hole in the ground and were stacked on top of each other while there family members at home had no idea where they were. I don't know if there is punishment great enough for people like this. I do believe that the Iraqis should convict him and execute him.

Chase!!!!!

Jesus ...are you advocating death penalty as the solution?????? I mean you dont believe in justice????? Only in wars/death/executions??? Didnt you say to me that you were a pacifist?

And dont you think that killing him...he wont pay for all the things he did? I mean like Milosevic who died WITHOUT paying for his cruel acts ?????
I chose to see all this kind of people in jail for years and years paying for the cruelty they commited...
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Chase!!!!!

Jesus ...are you advocating death penalty as the solution?????? I mean you dont believe in justice????? Only in wars/death/executions??? Didnt you say to me that you were a pacifist?

And dont you think that killing him...he wont pay for all the things he did? I mean like Milosevic who died WITHOUT paying for his cruel acts ?????
I chose to see all this kind of people in jail for years and years paying for the cruelty they commited...

Yes I am advocating the death sentence for a man who enjoyed killing thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians. This man tortured, raped, and murdered. The majority of Iraqis want to see this man executed because it'll provide them with closure and a bit of justice. Someone who has killed at that magnitude does not deserve to live the rest of his life being fed, housed, and bathed by the same people who he tortured, raped, and murdered.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
Chase
USER INFO »

*Double Post*

Last edited by Chase : 03-23-2006 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
facelessmike
USER INFO »

Let him die! Think he'd let you live? I am surprised there are only 2/3 in favor. Enough time and money is being wasted on him for this trial.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Yes I am advocating the death sentence for a man who enjoyed killing thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians. This man tortured, raped, and murdered. The majority of Iraqis want to see this man executed because it'll provide them with closure and a bit of justice. Someone who has killed at that magnitude does not deserve to live the rest of his life being fed, housed, and bathed by the same people who he tortured, raped, and murdered.

So you dont believe in justice? Is this your point?
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) So you dont believe in justice? Is this your point?

Justice? Justice is convicting this man of the genocide that he committed and carrying out whatever punishment the Iraqis want. In this case, they've said that if convicted, Saddam Hussein will be executed. If you're advocating that the Iraqis don't follow through with their judicial beliefs, then it is you who is not believing in justice.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Justice? Justice is convicting this man of the genocide that he committed and carrying out whatever punishment the Iraqis want. In this case, they've said that if convicted, Saddam Hussein will be executed. If you're advocating that the Iraqis don't follow through with their judicial beliefs, then it is you who is not believing in justice.

If he dies he wont suffer and pay for his crimes;...why cant you see that???

And are you advocating the use of more violence to respond to his violence???
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #11
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) If he dies he wont suffer and pay for his crimes;...why cant you see that???

And are you advocating the use of more violence to respond to his violence???

Here's what you don't understand. The majority of Iraqis see Saddam Hussein's execution as justice. If they didn't want him executed they would've sent him to the Hague. And what does this mean: "If he dies he wont suffer and pay for his crimes?" Everybody dies... so I don't know what you're trying to imply. In the Arab world, executions are used as a means for carrying out justice... just because you don't think that it's justified to execute a man who's responsible for the brutal murders of thousands of innocent people does not mean that they can't have a different interpretation of what justice is. They want him to die... and I happen to support their position. Saddam Hussein executed innocent men, women, and children... and you're telling me that that's not enough justification for him to meet that same fate. If anything, he's going to die a more peaceful death (regardless of whether or not he's executed or a guy who dies in prison).

If your government was responsible for the violent murder of your family members, you would rather have that government continue its acts instead of having someone end that regimes violence towards innocent civilians? I mean, you're essentially telling me that going war against Adolf Hitler was wrong.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #12
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Here's what you don't understand. The majority of Iraqis see Saddam Hussein's execution as justice. If they didn't want him executed they would've sent him to the Hague. And what does this mean: "If he dies he wont suffer and pay for his crimes?" Everybody dies... so I don't know what you're trying to imply. In the Arab world, executions are used as a means for carrying out justice... just because you don't think that it's justified to execute a man who's responsible for the brutal murders of thousands of innocent people does not mean that they can't have a different interpretation of what justice is. They want him to die... and I happen to support their position. Saddam Hussein executed innocent men, women, and children... and you're telling me that that's not enough justification for him to meet that same fate. If anything, he's going to die a more peaceful death (regardless of whether or not he's executed or a guy who dies in prison).

If your government was responsible for the violent murder of your family members, you would rather have that government continue its acts instead of having someone end that regimes violence towards innocent civilians? I mean, you're essentially telling me that going war against Adolf Hitler was wrong.

You know...you are the one who doesnt understand....

I said that I want Saddam paying for his crimes (after his presence in a law court) in a prison jail...if he dies he wont pay enoughly for them(I used dies refering to his execution...please dont mock with my poor english) because I chose to belive in justice (actually if i wasnt a teacher Id like to be a lawyer)

I grrew up in a Western society...with western values as democracy, freedom, respect and justice...so I cant advocate violence (execution ) as a solution, even if in this case we are talking about Saddam Hussein.
and even though some of the cities of my country (not the whole country) have a very sad problem regarding to violence/criminal rates (like you are constantly posting this on board) theres no death penalty here: because we still believe in Justice.

Saying that war against Adolf Hitler is wrong is completely pointless !!!! Theres no connection with this issue...please STOP changing my words here!!!!!!!
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) You know...you are the one who doesnt understand....

I said that I want Saddam paying for his crimes (after his presence in a law court) in a prison jail...if he dies he wont pay enoughly for them(I used dies refering to his execution...please dont mock with my poor english) because I chose to belive in justice (actually if i wasnt a teacher Id like to be a lawyer)

I grrew up in a Western society...with western values as democracy, freedom, respect and justice...so I cant advocate violence (execution ) as a solution, even if in this case we are talking about Saddam Hussein.
and even though some of the cities of my country (not the whole country) have a very sad problem regarding to violence/criminal rates (like you are constantly posting this on board) theres no death penalty here: because we still believe in Justice.

Saying that war against Adolf Hitler is wrong is completely pointless !!!! Theres no connection with this issue...please STOP changing my words here!!!!!!!

Bringing up Adolf Hitler is a completely valid argument. Using your logic, you wouldn't support going to war against a man that killed millions of Jews. That is your logic, I'm not changing anything here.

Iraqi culture and Middle Eastern society in general believe in execution as a means for carrying out justice. You don't have to agree with it, but it's a cultural form of sentencing in their society. A lot of Iraqis who lost loved ones at the hands of Saddam Hussein believe that watching him die will bring them with some sense of closure. To them, justice will be carried out. I was brought up in a Western society, but most Americans still believe that the death penalty is fair. If someone kills a pregnant women, or rapes and kills a small child... tell me why we as tax payers should pay for their jail cell for 50 years? It's very costly to keep someone in prison for life. If they killed someone in cold blood... why should they be allowed to live at the tax payers expense? In terms of Saddam Hussein, you should respect what the Iraqis want and what their culture advocates. They want him to die and they should be able to carry out that sentence.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Bringing up Adolf Hitler is a completely valid argument. Using your logic, you wouldn't support going to war against a man that killed millions of Jews. That is your logic, I'm not changing anything here.

Iraqi culture and Middle Eastern society in general believe in execution as a means for carrying out justice. You don't have to agree with it, but it's a cultural form of sentencing in their society. A lot of Iraqis who lost loved ones at the hands of Saddam Hussein believe that watching him die will bring them with some sense of closure. To them, justice will be carried out. I was brought up in a Western society, but most Americans still believe that the death penalty is fair. If someone kills a pregnant women, or rapes and kills a small child... tell me why we as tax payers should pay for their jail cell for 50 years? It's very costly to keep someone in prison for life. If they killed someone in cold blood... why should they be allowed to live at the tax payers expense? In terms of Saddam Hussein, you should respect what the Iraqis want and what their culture advocates. They want him to die and they should be able to carry out that sentence.

YES, you ARE!!!!!

I dont see you understand about logic...because your points are ilogical...
I said I chose justice --waht means dont advocate executions/;death penalty because I dont believe in this as a real punishment...Its so clear! I cant believe you cant understand it!!!!
Ill try again: If Saddam dies he WONT pay for his CRIMES!!!!! He wont suffer in a prison jail for years... If he dies he wont suffer and pay enough for his crimes...Do you think that Milosevic paid for his crimes??????

NO he didnt pay...because he died...and if Saddam dies he wont pay for this terrible crimes against iraquian people...it s obvious!!!!!
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #15
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Chase, are you God? Can you give someone life? Why then do you believe you have the right to give someone death.

Let God deal with Saddam's eternal fate. Saddam should be locked away. Besides. From a purely secularist, materialistic, immoral point of view, death would be too good for him anyway.