++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 01-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #31
Julbright
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I don't think we can totally blame his voice troubles on cigarettes but we can certainly assume it doesn't help matters! So many performers smoke so that isn't the only culprit. It just adds another piece of the story to me - that he seems to be going down the road to falling apart - I am not judging him - just wishing I could help him. If he needs support and coping skills - I could be his crutch!!!
I laid beside you I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need's a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man to relearn love
RELEARN LOVE _ SCOTT STAPP

When shadows paint the scenes where spotlights used to fall...I will be there for you Scottie
Old 01-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #32
SCTMM's hubby
USER INFO »
OMG!!! he's smoking SO WHAT . At least he's not hanging from the rafters shooting heroin or doing crack.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #33
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Geez, it's just a cigarette. I only brought it up because I was surprised no one else had seen it in that picture. Steve's right, it's not like there's a picture of him fondling little boys or holding Jagger while feeding hungry crocodiles.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 01-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #34
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JenRN) Yes I noticed this right away as well. But I hate to break it to you, the 2 times I was in the pit I saw him smoke first hand behind the stage. When they would take a brief break someone handed him a smoke and he took some drags off of it. I also saw him spit his wad of tobacco as well at one show. The one time he was right in my face singing I could see his pearly white teeth and I wondered how the hell he kept them so damn white especially if he chews. All I know is he had beautiful teeth, I just wanted to reach up and kiss him he was so damn close

He was THAT close to you?? OMG!!! I would just die! I was within arm's length of him at the NYE show and I thought THAT was exciting! WOW! I'm SO jealous!

Anyway, I did notice him spit a couple of times at Alcatraz.

As far as the white teeth ...
I always comment on how perfect they are. (Of course...his father IS a dentist!)
Old 01-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #35
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JenRN) I guess I am the black sheep of the bunch. I personally could care less if he smokes or chews, that is his business. Of course it affects his voice, that is no mystery.
You are not the black sheep! I agree! I mean ... of course I'd prefer that he not smoke ... not only for the obvious health reasons but also because his voice is his career and to risk that is just silly. But the bottom line is ... he's a big boy! I'd be far more upset if he was shooting heroin or something! It's just a cigarette for God's sake! I am not a smoker and do think that it is a gross and dangerous habit ... but I don't think he's commited a crime or anything.
Quote: (Originally Posted by JenRN) I think that for him especially he is "scrutinized" to the extreme for whatever he does and it simply is not fair. I like him smoking or not, I myself am a non smoker but I just look a little deeper before I pass too much judgement. Who knows maybe it is his only coping mechanism?
I agree that it is ridiculous how much he is scrutinized! The poor guy can't make a move without people passing judgement on him. It's really no wonder he's having personal issues ... how could he not!?!?

I say we give the guy a break so maybe he could stop feeling like he wants to hide in a hole somewhere and get back to wanting to give us great music!
Old 01-03-2004, 12:32 PM   #36
Sheila63
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JenRN) I guess I am the black sheep of the bunch. I personally could care less if he smokes or chews, that is his business. Of course it affects his voice, that is no mystery. I think that for him especially he is "scrutinized" to the extreme for whatever he does and it simply is not fair. I like him smoking or not, I myself am a non smoker but I just look a little deeper before I pass too much judgement. Who knows maybe it is his only coping mechanism?

I guess I'm another black sheep too. First of all let me say that I'm not a smoker, I've never smoked in my life. But, like Jen said so well, that's his business. It doesn't change the way I feel about him in any way. IMO, most of us have habits we'd like to break or change, he's human like the rest of us.

Relearn Love
Old 01-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #37
Frankie
USER INFO »
Well...I am very happy to see the turn around in this thread...my goodness...as others have said it's a cigarette for crying out loud.
I have never smoked in my life...but I would NEVER ever call someone an ass...a liar...or loose respect for someone because they do. I cannot believe how judgemental some people are where Scott is concerned. It's not a character flaw and does not make him less of a good person...it's just a habit...one that I understand is extremely hard to break.
And just to clear up one more thing...Scott was terribly, terribly sick during the Alcatraz performance...any spitting you saw was NOT tobacco...just clearing his nose and throat as "guys" tend to do. He may be very talented...and he can chew gum and sing at the same time ...but hardly doubt he could pull off singing with tobacco in his mouth.
Sorry Teri that your innocent observation turned into this.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #38
JenRN
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedlvr) He was THAT close to you?? OMG!!! I would just die! I was within arm's length of him at the NYE show and I thought THAT was exciting! WOW! I'm SO jealous!

Anyway, I did notice him spit a couple of times at Alcatraz.

As far as the white teeth ...
I always comment on how perfect they are. (Of course...his father IS a dentist!)
YES at one show I was that close, so close I could smell him I locked eyes with him several times, gave me feelings "all over"

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 01-03-2004, 02:46 PM   #39
creedlvr
USER INFO »
I don't blame you! I'm getting "feelings" just thinking about it!
Old 01-03-2004, 03:01 PM   #40
mamm1234
USER INFO »
This was a cool discussion, it's great to talk about Creed, everything can't be good unless we think they're perfect which we don't.

What we all want is for all the guys, but especially Scott who seems to be having the most difficulty right now, to be healthy and whole.
I can't even bear to look at pictures of him now. Seeing those celebrity poker pictures make me want to cry. My heart goes out to him.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #41
SCOTTSMYMAN
USER INFO »
When I first saw the cigarette I admit it pissed me off a little bit! It's only because I'm an x-smoker and know what it can do to you! I didn't loose any respect for him and believe me my fantasy book as not been deserted! It just took me aback at first! I just hope if not for his sake for Jagger's that he quits! Scott, I still LOVE ya baby!

"I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies "
Old 01-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #42
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Don't you feel kind of betrayed. When you think of all fans went through because of all the cancellations. But, oh, if it was only ciggies....we wouldn't have had shows like we had at the end of the tour, State College and Chicago eg.

Hell, no, I don't feel betrayed just because the man smokes. Give me a break. And, having just watched the PSU show, that man gave it all he had to make that show go on, as did Mark, Flip and Brett. I lost count of how many times he gestured his appreciation to the crowd for hanging in and being patient, singing along and helping him out. He had a smile on his face for most of the show after the power outage, and that was at about song six, Who's Got My Back. There are plenty of singers who smoke like chimneys, but they have learned to take care of their voices and not overdue the touring. Chris Cornell is an amazing vocalist and he smokes like a fiend. Layne Staley smoked, too, but they had coaches who helped them keep their vocal cords in shape. Scott can do that, too, smoking or not, and learn to sing less from his throat and more from his diaphragm.

Last edited by Dogstar : 01-03-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:56 PM   #43
MrSeeker
USER INFO »
creed is dead

Favorite bands,
As I Lay Dying
Demon Hunter
August Burns Red
Becoming The Archetype

Voices are hidden
Giving shame to my name
Am I no better forgiven
If I leave this world the same.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:47 PM   #44
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by MrSeeker) creed is dead
Way to keep the faith!!
Old 01-03-2004, 07:19 PM   #45
The eyes have
USER INFO »
Didn't you know that?

If any of you have Webshots downloaded (you can see several candid pictures of the band) and in one Scott and his bandmates are on top of a building looking at the city and he's got a great big fat Marlboro in his hand.
Come on I thought you guys were the last word on Creed info. I think this
pic was taken in 95 or 96.