++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 02-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
RoffeDH
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Creed made Stapp?

I was just wondering, if Stapp hadn't been with Creed would he ever have been succesfull, I mean since Marks signature sound is a part of his solocareer too now. Without it would he have been a sucess at all?

Woudl mark have been a sucess without Stapp? I mean, it's his sound, shure Stapp wrote alot of the songs (most of them on MOP and HC atleast), couldn't Mark have made it with another singer? Or would he just have been a metal head and not at all able to be mainstream?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
titan9
USER INFO »
Re: Creed made Stapp?

Well, it's really debatable. But I personally don't think either could have made it without the other one. If Creed had Myles as their lead singer and not Stapp, I don't think Creed would have been as big as they were, simply because Stapp's vocals are more radio friendly. And if Creed didn't have Mark's catchy riffs, who's to say Stapp's vocals and lyrics would have been enough to win over fans?

I think what's telling is what is happening post-Creed. Alter Bridge isn't that well known at this point. If you ask a mainstream music fan who they are, they won't know. Whereas if you had asked about Creed during their heyday, said mainstream music fan would have known exactly who you were talking about.

Stapp is a bit more known, at this point, than AB is....simply because he was the frontman for Creed and has gotten some, well, not so nice publicity over the last few months. Still, the vast majority of mainstream music fans have forgotten about Stapp, as evidenced by the fact that TGD hasn't sold a million records yet and isn't close to that mark yet.

Bottom line is this: Creed was something special. I've heard people on here remark that Creed was like "lightning caught in a bottle". I'd have to agree with that. Bands like Creed don't come along all that often...and I don't think you can attribute their success to any one member. But I do think you can say that every band member, from Flip to Brian to Mark to Scott, played a role in the massive success of the band.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »

I've thought about this and I would say no. It would be hard to manufacture a true ROCK super group. I mean right place, right time and right combination that just takes off like a widfire. There's just an element of raw emotion that the true rock fan appreciates. They'll probably do ok seperately, but I don't believe they'll ever see the level of success they had in CREED. What are the odds of having that perfect combination and it's frustrating to see that thrown away. Billy Corgan thought he could do it on his own and now he's desperately trying to gather the Pumpkins for another Smashing album. If lightning strikes twice for AB or Scott I will be pleasantly surprised.

-Homer Simpson

Old 02-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
bilal
USER INFO »

yeh .......... creed was special............and although ......Marks riffs where a solid foundation................. stapp had a dominating position all thorough out......... imean only those guys interested in guitars and those who undersatnd music would have admired tremonti....otherwise i think it was 90% stapp.........but i guess Mark is resoponsible for that too....cause some how he was glad to be on the back seat...........even in all Creed videos.....its just stappp ..........take for example bullets video........but yeh.........stapp could have never made it without MArt........no .........no.............and no.......

i will disagree with u about ur thoughts on Alter Bridge............. AB might not have that catchy sound of creed .......... but AB to me is far more Valuable then all of creeeds work...........cause its not just about riffs............its about total guitaring experience............. amazing amazing guitar solos..............and i think MYles is absolutely great ................... MYles voice might not be as ..........what shud i say.......... complete as that of STapps.............but Myles is a much better singer .........or a better rock singer.................

but yes..............Creed was an entity of its own............and Stapp and Mark cudnt have done without each other.....................(hey dont forget Flips and brian............)

Last edited by bilal : 02-27-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Creed7352
USER INFO »

well, i know i started listening to creed cause of mark...cause i play guitar.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Well, it's really debatable. But I personally don't think either could have made it without the other one. If Creed had Myles as their lead singer and not Stapp, I don't think Creed would have been as big as they were, simply because Stapp's vocals are more radio friendly. And if Creed didn't have Mark's catchy riffs, who's to say Stapp's vocals and lyrics would have been enough to win over fans?

Bottom line is this: Creed was something special. I've heard people on here remark that Creed was like "lightning caught in a bottle". I'd have to agree with that. Bands like Creed don't come along all that often...and I don't think you can attribute their success to any one member. But I do think you can say that every band member, from Flip to Brian to Mark to Scott, played a role in the massive success of the band.

Exactly! Creed was a combination of the right people in the right place at the right time...
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 02-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) well, i know i started listening to creed cause of mark...cause i play guitar.

For me personally, the whole band brought me in. The vocals, the lyrics, the riffs, all of it made me a fan. I can say that Tremo has inspired me to be a guitarist....just as Stapp and Bono have inspired me to be a lyricist.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Exactly! Creed was a combination of the right people in the right place at the right time...

Yup. But I do think that if they were no-talent hacks and weren't any good....they wouldn't have been famous. Well...unless they were a boy band playing cruddy pop music...or Nickelback....then I guess talent doesn't really matter.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) For me personally, the whole band brought me in. The vocals, the lyrics, the riffs, all of it made me a fan. I can say that Tremo has inspired me to be a guitarist....just as Stapp and Bono have inspired me to be a lyricist.

Yup. But I do think that if they were no-talent hacks and weren't any good....they wouldn't have been famous. Well...unless they were a boy band playing cruddy pop music...or Nickelback....then I guess talent doesn't really matter.

No...no...titan...of course they had talent ...actually I deleted the word talent...not sure why...lol
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 02-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
Agent D
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Bottom line is this: Creed was something special. I've heard people on here remark that Creed was like "lightning caught in a bottle". I'd have to agree with that. Bands like Creed don't come along all that often...and I don't think you can attribute their success to any one member. But I do think you can say that every band member, from Flip to Brian to Mark to Scott, played a role in the massive success of the band.

Exactly, couldn't have said it any better myself. Say what you will about whichever member of Creed or regardless if you prefer Alter Bridge, Creed would not have been Creed without Stapp or Tremo, or even Flip or Brian.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

I must agree... I belive that Mark could have had some sucess without Stapp or the otherguys, but never as big, Stapp I belive would have had less sucsess, seeing how he steals Marks signature sound and all o his solo album. But without eachother it would never have been as big as it were.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #11
creedlvr
USER INFO »

Let me start by saying that I don't want to offend the Flip and Brian fans.

However, I think that it's true that Creed would not have been as successful without both Scott and Mark. Together, they made great music. I don't agree that anyone is "stealing" anyone else's sound. The music they created was a collaboration ... not Mark's sound and Scott's lyrics. I believe they worked together on developing a sound they were both happy with ... and as it turns out ... so were the fans.

As for Flip and Brian ...
I'm not minimizing their skills as bassist or drummer, but I think that the sound that Scott and Mark developed would have been just as successful if they had other people in those roles.

Not right or wrong ... just my opinion.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
Creed7352
USER INFO »

once brian left, it just wasn't the same for me...brett was good on bass, but it just wasn't creed to me. so brian needed to be there too, and flip.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
MissSeeker
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by creedlvr) Let me start by saying that I don't want to offend the Flip and Brian fans.

However, I think that it's true that Creed would not have been as successful without both Scott and Mark. Together, they made great music. I don't agree that anyone is "stealing" anyone else's sound. The music they created was a collaboration ... not Mark's sound and Scott's lyrics. I believe they worked together on developing a sound they were both happy with ... and as it turns out ... so were the fans.

As for Flip and Brian ...
I'm not minimizing their skills as bassist or drummer, but I think that the sound that Scott and Mark developed would have been just as successful if they had other people in those roles.

Not right or wrong ... just my opinion.

I agree...

"...in the frozen night I prayed, for a touch of warmth so long delayed...
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) once brian left, it just wasn't the same for me...brett was good on bass, but it just wasn't creed to me. so brian needed to be there too, and flip.

When brian left, creed to me were a incomplete band.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) once brian left, it just wasn't the same for me...brett was good on bass, but it just wasn't creed to me. so brian needed to be there too, and flip.

When brian left, creed to me were a incomplete band.