++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 06-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Jane's Addiction breaks up.....again

seems like a matter of time until its announced officially;

The long-term future of JANE'S ADDICTION appears uncertain this afternoon (June 23) with rumours abound they're to split.

The band, who reformed in 2002 after ten years apart and released Strays an album of new material in 2003, have been on a hiatus for much of this year.

A statement has been published online said to be from all the band members, apart from singer Perry Farrell saying that their "volatile combination" means they will be no more.

The statement on Navarro's website reads:

"We know we can't avoid this anymore so we will give it our best shot. What's the deal? The deal is that it simply didn't work out. Sometimes things just don't work out. In all honesty, we have broken up and rejoined roughly four times over the years. Perhaps that should shed some light as to where we are now. We really don't know. We do know that we really gave it everything we had this time and we actually made a really great record after so many years of silence.

That was definitely a great thing and we are all proud of it. We were able to do a lot of shows and travel and see the world again. We had some amazing times. Why didn't it work out? So many reasons. Some of them over 15 years old, some of them new and none of them worth mentioning. Maybe we are just a volatile combination. Maybe that is why we were so great. The bottom line is that we are all extremely creative and motivated people and I know we will all continue to create and work on many different projects.

After 20 years, just like in any relationship, you have your highs and lows and some amazing memories that can never be replaced. We were able to create great music together, and for that... We feel blessed. But sometimes relationships don't work, no matter how much time or energy you put into them... and at that point... you realise it is healthier to go your separate ways than to keep trying to recreate the magic of the early years. Sometimes people grow apart in the relationship, it is nobody's fault really... just a fact of life... an inevitable creative dissolution. Sometimes the best creative relationships are the most combustible and they aren't meant to last forever.

We know this doesn't answer all of your questions, but hopefully it answers some of them. We would personally like to say, thank you for all of the love and support you have shown us over the years, we greatly appreciate it and we love you."

A UK spokesperson for the band was unable to confirm the authenticity of the posting.

Jane's are considered one of the most influential bands of the last 20 years. Their albums Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual are both modern classics, and a noted influence on bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Music.

Perry Farrell got Scott Stapp syndrome which is a disease that spreads to lead singers where business interests take over, money becomes very important and the ego grows. No cure is known at this point and why it only attacks lead singers. Perry also runs the Lallopoolza festival which was just cancelled for this year and is also a DJ under the name "DJ Peretz".

The other three members of the band have started another project and are looking for a lead singer (sound familiar?).
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 06-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yep, it sounds as if they are going in different directions for sure. I really liked Strays and I'm glad I got to see them at Lollapalooza last year.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Yep, it sounds as if they are going in different directions for sure. I really liked Strays and I'm glad I got to see them at Lollapalooza last year.

as we learnt its awfully fishy if the members of a band except the singer go off an start a new band. perry had an arrangement where the other members of the band were employees and he was making 70% or so of the money from touring, merchandise and cd sales.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Heh, Perry's a smart dude. I didn't know that about the 70% deal.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:08 PM   #5
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Man. Everyone always copies Creed.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 06-25-2004, 12:39 AM   #6
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) Man. Everyone always copies Creed.

H-D

hehe Perry might be a smart businessman but I think it would have being shocking for band harmony.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 06-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #7
Shadow
USER INFO »
Here's the story from Rolling Stone. Somehow this breakup doesn't upset me the way the Creed break-up did

Jane's Addiction Split

Group calls it quits after reunion tour, album

Jane's Addiction's reunion is officially over, as the influential alternative group has called it quits again. Guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Chris Chaney issued a statement through Navarro's Web site announcing the split.

"The deal is that it simply didn't work out," the statement read. "Sometimes the best creative relationships are the most combustible and they aren't meant to last forever."

The group (including original bassist Eric Avery) formed in Los Angeles in 1984 and released two influential studio albums, 1988's Nothing's Shocking and 2000's Ritual de lo Habitual. The group split after headlining the inaugural Lollapalooza Festival -- the brainchild of frontman Perry Farrell -- in 1991.

Ten years later, the members of Jane's announced their plans for a reunion. A new studio set, Strays, was released last year to lukewarm commercial response.

The news falls just days after Farrell had to announce the cancellation of this summer's Lollapalooza due to poor ticket sales.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) Guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Chris Chaney issued a statement through Navarro's Web site announcing the split.

"The deal is that it simply didn't work out," the statement read. "Sometimes the best creative relationships are the most combustible and they aren't meant to last forever."
Isn't that exactly what the Creed breakup statement said?

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 06-28-2004, 10:04 PM   #9
Shadow
USER INFO »
Well, here's another similarity....

Jane's Addiction members form new band
28 June 2004

NEW YORK: The latest reunion of Jane's Addiction is on the rocks, and Perry Farrell's three bandmates have joined forces with another vocalist to form a new group.

"The deal is that (the reunion) simply didn't work out," guitarist Dave Navarro wrote in a web post this week.

"Sometimes things just don't work out. In all honesty, we have broken up and rejoined roughly four times over the years. Perhaps that should shed some light as to where we are now. We really don't know. We do know that we really gave it everything we had this time and we actually made a really great record after so many years of silence."

Jane's Addiction has been inactive since completing touring and promotion for its reunion album, Strays, which has sold a modest 396,000 copies in the United States since its July 2003 release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Now, Navarro, bassist Chris Chaney and drummer Stephen Perkins have formed a new band with Skycycle vocalist Steve Isaacs. The as-yet-unnamed group has penned three songs and has begun recording with producer Danny Saber, who worked with Navarro on his 2001 Capitol solo debut, Trust No One.

For his part, Isaacs emphasised he was not replacing Farrell as vocalist in Jane's Addiction.

"Dave, Stephen, and Chris and I are just taking some time to do what is the most fun thing in the world to do – make music and write songs," he wrote on his official website.

The news comes just days after the Farrell-reared Lollapalooza tour, originally conceived in 1991 as a farewell tour for the first incarnation of Jane's Addiction, cancelled its entire summer run due to poor ticket sales.