++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 03-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #91
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by WeatheredWoman) Let me quote JOSEPH SMITH:

To the EDITOR of the TIMES & SEASONS. SIR: Through the medium of your paper, I wish to correct an error among men that profess to be learned, liberal and wise; and I do it the more cheerfully, because I hope sober-thinking and sound-reasoning people will sooner listen to the voice of truth, than be led astray by the vain pretentions of the self-wise. The error I speak of, is the definition of the word "MORMON". It has been stated that this word was derived from the Greek word mormo. This is not the case. There was no Greek or Latin upon the plates from which I, through the grace of God, translated the Book of Mormon. Let the language of that book speak for itself. On the 523d page, of the fourth edition, it reads:

"And now behold we have written this record according to our knowledge in the characters, which are called among us the Reformed Egyptian, being handed down and altered by us, according to our manner of speech; and if our plates had been sufficiently large, we should have written in Hebrew: but the Hebrew hath been altered by us, also; and if we could have written in Hebrew, behold ye would have had no imperfection in our record, but the Lord knoweth our language; therefore be hath prepared means for the interpretation thereof."

Here then the subject is put to silence, for "none other people knoweth our language", therefore the Lord, and not man, had to interpret, after the people were all dead. And, as Paul said, "the world by wisdom know not God", so the world by speculation are destitute of revelation; and as God in his superior wisdom, has always given his saints, wherever he had any on the earth, the same spirit, and that spirit, as John says, is the true spirit of prophesy, which is the testimony of Jesus, I may safely say that the word MORMON stands independent of the learning and wisdom of this generation.

Before I give a definition, however, to the word, let me say that the Bible in its widest sense, means good ; for the Saviour says according to the gospel of John, "I am the good shepherd"; and it will not be beyond the common use of terms, to say that good is among the most important in use, and though known by various names in different languages, still its meaning is the same and is ever in opposition to bad. We say from the Saxon, good; the Dane, god; the Goth, goda; the German, gut; the Dutch, goed; the Latin, bonus; the Greek, kalos; the Hebrew, tob; and the Egyptian, mon. Hence, with the addition of more, or the contaction, mor, we have the word MORMON; which means, literally, more good.

Yours,
JOSEPH SMITH

Times and Seasons, vol. 4, p. 194 (1843)
I know what mormon means. The post you took that quote from of Professor Blair's research (if you read the heading on it) as about the word "Mormon" meaning Gates of Hell and other dirivites in Chineese. It was about how that meaning came about from english to chineese. Not what the word litterally means in english.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 03-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #92
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) I know what mormon means. The post you took that quote from of Professor Blair's research (if you read the heading on it) as about the word "Mormon" meaning Gates of Hell and other dirivites in Chineese. It was about how that meaning came about from english to chineese. Not what the word litterally means in english.

Ah! My misinterpretation... you're right on that one H_D !!! Sorry, I apologize... I've had another read of that post!

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 03-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #93
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by WeatheredWoman) My thoughts exactly.

And Faceless? I know that we will agree to disagree but what's wrong with venting??? No one needs to tell this woman to kind of "shut up" in other words! Didn't mean to scare you of though...
yes again its used for controling people I thank God IM FREE!!!
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 03-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #94
facelessman
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to facelessman Send a message via MSN to facelessman
Quote: (Originally Posted by WeatheredWoman) This post was directed to H_D Face!! And according to the "we stopped all this crap"-thingy : FREEDOM OF SPEECH my boy!!! Never heard of???
i never told you to shut up. i was just letting you know that we stopped with all that, so chill
and ive seen more guts on 11 year old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home
I hope theres ice on all the roads
and think of me when you forget your seatbelt
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
Seventy Times Seven- Brand new
Old 03-12-2004, 05:40 PM   #95
facelessman
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to facelessman Send a message via MSN to facelessman
my religion doesnt control me...i still have my free agency, but i choose to follow the teaching of it. and so far its goin good for me.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #96
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
I love you Faceless

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 03-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #97
facelessman
USER INFO »
Old 03-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #98
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 03-12-2004, 06:37 PM   #99
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by facelessman) my religion doesnt control me...i still have my free agency, but i choose to follow the teaching of it. and so far its goin good for me.
;[well good for you aside from that i think ur alright]
But u really need to give the bible a chance bro!!! ok i will shut up i promise
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 03-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #100
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Ta!!!! You have to remove some of your pm's 'cause your pm-box is full! No one can send you a pm anymore

You will see this... I'm sure

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #101
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedsister) ;[well good for you aside from that i think ur alright]
But u really need to give the bible a chance bro!!! ok i will shut up i promise
We do love the Bible. It and the BoM are used as companions in our church. Remember all... if you ever have any questions (as opposed to accusations), feel free to ask me anytime. PM would be best. or consult www.lightplanet.com/mormons. It is not owned or operated by the church, but it is an extremely good site.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 03-12-2004, 10:04 PM   #102
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by WeatheredWoman) Ta!!!! You have to remove some of your pm's 'cause your pm-box is full! No one can send you a pm anymore

You will see this... I'm sure
Hey calm down i got right On it!!! At least u knew Were to find me stef this is A total Embarasament For Me i never delite my Pms Sorry I need The Chair
Old 03-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #103
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) We do love the Bible. It and the BoM are used as companions in our church. Remember all... if you ever have any questions (as opposed to accusations), feel free to ask me anytime. PM would be best. or consult www.lightplanet.com/mormons. It is not owned or operated by the church, but it is an extremely good site.

H-D
Thank you No hard feelings Higher Desire I Will Say This then i will shut up [Im praying For ya} And You to Dan} jesus Loves U both Very Much Regardless Of Religions Why Because He first Loved U And He chose You You Did Not Choose Him!! I will Shut Up Now!!! Peace be whicha you
[
Old 03-13-2004, 01:54 AM   #104
SleeplessAngel
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to SleeplessAngel Send a message via MSN to SleeplessAngel
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) Just out of curiosity, do you believe that the movie "The Godmakers" is an amazing documentary? I have never heard of Jesus coming back in a corn-field. That just ain't going to happen.

As your post seems to indicate, you were baptized at a fairly early age, learned the customs of the church, yet didn't learn of how things came about, or to say, the basis of those customs, and then were easily swayed by either misunderstaing teachings or hearing non-doctrinal teachings, and have solidified your ideas in stone, possibly due to hostility towards the church. Just a guess.

H-D

First of all I've never even heard of that Documentary. Thanks. Second of all, I was raised as a Mormon, till I realised it was a bunch of crap, of course that's my opinion. I was in that church until I was 17. The best thing I ever did for myself was to quit attending. You have your opinion, I was just adding mine. You are obviously happy with your religion. I happen to believe it a form of a cult. Two seperate opinions, but that's ok. I don't have hostility towards the church, but if you can PROVE to me in stone, that all of their prophets, and such are REAL, then I'll think about changing my opinions. Oh, and I don't usually misunderstand things, I'm one of those annoying people who ask a million questions until the meaning is crystal clear.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:27 AM   #105
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) [b]
The symbol that was actually selected is the character specifically used to represent a like sounding syllable in foreign words. When not used to render a meaningless syllable of a foreign word, this character suggests "smoothing something with the hand." (If one were to take this literal rendering seriously, one could explain "Mo-Men" as meaning "hand-smoothed Gateway, " or "way smoothed by hands." Further, interpolation might suggest that it was the bleeding hands of Jesus Christ that smoothed the way to Salvation!)

What the crafty enemies of the Restored Church have done is to pervert the facts in such a way that only those knowing Chinese can see their fraud. From the thirty characters which have been reading Mo, they substituted the one which means "devil" (and which is not the one used by the Church) and then propagated the lie that in Chinese the word "Mormon" means "Devil's gate," or "Gateway to Hell."

H-D
OK
1. Smoothed by hands? What they said as the understsanding of that was totally not what I was thinking!!!!!

Sorry but I just read this and got annoyed.

Also
2. The restored church? That just makes me so mad. it's obvious that info from this site: http://www.irr.org/mit/ would be considered as anti-mormon to you guys cos You think as the restored church, that you are more enlightened than us, so any info from any other source is just crap right?

The site has the original book of mormon and various other things that make U guys look bad, but the thing is unless a site like this posts the original versions, U guys will never be aware of the changes. Prophecies included.

ROCK HARD!!!