++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #31
StappsSaviour
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to StappsSaviour Send a message via MSN to StappsSaviour Send a message via Yahoo to StappsSaviour
Re: I love Tremonti

he is great but still not near the top. i would rate him in the top 150 guitarist though.

what about the rest of u?

Dedicated to a lost soul now found
My oldest brother

Nathan Kenneth Malcom Williams

Even Though You're Gone, You Still Mean The World To Me
11.08.1987-12.06.2005

I will love you and honour your memory always.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #32
bilal
USER INFO »

may be tremonti might not be even in top 100 if you consider other TECHNIQUE players....... but most of the listeners arnt really guitar players.....who realy dont know what mode is shifting and how good scales are being improvised....what count is what feels good to them in theri ears......and thats where tremonti rules......he makes good music.....
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #33
metalchris25
USER INFO »

amen.^
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #34
StappsSaviour
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to StappsSaviour Send a message via MSN to StappsSaviour Send a message via Yahoo to StappsSaviour

yea thats very true but u still never know...

hes my number one anyways

My oldest brother

11.08.1987-12.06.2005

Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 AM   #35
MissSeeker
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by StappsSaviour) he is great but still not near the top. i would rate him in the top 150 guitarist though.

what about the rest of u?

He is number one to me for sure next to James Hetfield!

"...in the frozen night I prayed, for a touch of warmth so long delayed...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #36
GregS
USER INFO »

Tremonti is defintly my favourite guitar player ,top of the list for me.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #37
RenoV
USER INFO »

Same here, there might be many better players out there, but he's the nomber one for me, he's the kind of guitar player that makes you come back to listen the same songs over and over again, and being amazed on how good his performance is, no matter if it's the 10,000th time you listen to that song!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #38
StappsSaviour
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by MissSeeker) He is number one to me for sure next to James Hetfield!

james hetfield?
really?
that is rather interesting... i think that Kirk Hammet is a million times better than him
really because James is the rhythm guitarist not lead...

but go Tremonti, Vai, Hendrix and Dimebag... R.I P

My oldest brother

11.08.1987-12.06.2005

Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #39
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Tremonti is a terrific guitarist. Unfortunately, he can't write a song to save his life but oh well.

In terms of sheer musicianship, I'd have him on my top 100 list, most likely. But so many guitarists are as good or better than him, yet can still write a song. Not really his fault. You can't practice creativity. His solos are good, but not really original. They often don't really fit the song either. But he has some fantastic ones, i.e. FTR, pity for a dime, etc.

He is also pretty dang good at making cool riffs, but even there, dozens of other guitarists are just as good if not better. He is still great though. If he would just let Myles write the songs...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #40
J-Man
USER INFO »

^^^You are uncertain. Mark is not only a terrific guitarist, but he is also a terrific writer. He has written many of the songs you bob your head too and sing along with.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #41
StappsSaviour
USER INFO »

i disagree with almost everything you have said uncertaindrummer

i kno that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what you have just said may offend alot of people, not to mention that i think and know that you are not in the position to be criticising a professional, especially Mark Tremonti.

so, Mark can write songs. He seems to not have a problem with it. Look at Torn on My Own Prison. i think thats a great song, no soloing but a great song. they way that he used that simple beginning guitar riff to start and then progressed to expand on the main melodic idea. and the contrast between the verse, chorus and the rest of the song.

and look at him now.
what about Burn It Down off One Day Remains
that initial chord progression makes the vocal melody so much more noticable not to mention very memorable and hard to forget.
and the solo in the song...cant say that is unoriginal...
it may sound it to you and it may have some similarities with others but its definately a great solo, in my opinion.

and yes true, there are alot of guitarists that are better than him but you do have to accept that he has made a rather good name for himself.

in comparrision from Myles to Mark i think that Mark is trillions times better at writing songs then Myles... As more or less already stated but if you would like me to go on then sure...

let it rest for me for now here

My oldest brother

11.08.1987-12.06.2005

Last edited by StappsSaviour : 10-18-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #42
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by J-Man) ^^^You are uncertain. Mark is not only a terrific guitarist, but he is also a terrific writer. He has written many of the songs you bob your head too and sing along with.

Umm, no, he hasn't.

The guy can clearly write riffs, but he cannot write songs. And writing catchy radio melodies doesn't count. Anyone can write them. For that matter, ANYONE can write melodies you bob your head to. The simpler and less original something is, the easier it is to sing along with.

He is at his best when he goes with heavy riffage. FTR is a fantastic song, because he doesn't try to go outside of himself. He wrote a great riff for the verse, and it works perfectly. The solo in that song is also awesome. Bullets, Unforgiven and Metalingus are also examples of Mark at his best. Those songs are all terrific. But when he gets bogged down in formulaic radio hooks, we get WAWO and higher, two songs that a monkey with a lute could "write".

His ballads are just nonsense. They all sound similar due to their predictable formula, they lack any type of originality...

And his lyrics are just unbelievably awful. I think Scott Stapp wrote better lyrics than Mark, and... for any who knows me, that is saying quite a lot.

Burn it Down is his best attempt at songwriting though, no question there.

Quote: i kno that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what you have just said may offend alot of people,

Heh, because that really worries me. I think Mark would most likely be the first to tell you that his songwriting is not his strong point. His technical proficiency and strong riffs and solos are his forte.

Quote: not to mention that i think and know that you are not in the position to be criticising a professional, especially Mark Tremonti.

LOL, that has to be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #43
J-Man
USER INFO »

Your name "Uncertain" fits you perfectly. You obviously have a beef about Mark so why bother arguing a moot point w/ you. It's people like you that make others roll their eyes in misbelief due to nonsensical gibberish. In other words, you talk trash. Since you don't care about offending others - I'm sure you can take it.

He wrote most of the songs (if not all on ODR). ILM is by far the most beautiful and heartfelt song he's written. I know you are trying to turn this into a Stapp vs. Tremo debate, but it's all been said. Been there done that. Grow up.

Last edited by J-Man : 10-19-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #44
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by J-Man) Your name "Uncertain" fits you perfectly.

It wasn't funny the first time, it is just freaking lame the second time.

Quote: You obviously have a beef about Mark so why bother arguing a moot point w/ you.

First of all, it is "beef WITH Mark", not beef "about" Mark, and second of all...

WHAT?! I love Mark Tremonti. You are so off base it is hilarious. Ask any of the people who used to be regulars here (where did they go by the way? Titan, Ana, etc.?) and they will tell you I am a big fan of Mark's. The more I like something, and the more I listen to it, the more I can pick out things that need improvement.

Quote: It's people like you that make others roll their eyes in misbelief due to nonsensical gibberish.

Uh, not really. That would be people like you. Everything I have said has been intelligible and based on experience. All you have said is "shut up, you hate mark, he's awesome". I wonder who is spouting nonsensical gibberish.

Quote: In other words, you talk trash.

Talk trash? What is this, a basketball game? People were discussing Mark's relative talent and abilities, I shared my thoughts on him. That isn't talking trash.

Quote: Since you don't care about offending others - I'm sure you can take it.

Actually, I do care about offending others, the gist of the statement was that if my posts regarding Mark offend anyone, then said group of people need to grow up.

Quote: He wrote most of the songs (if not all on ODR).

Uh, duh? I have been listening to and reading about Alter Bridge since months before ODR came out. I know more about them than you do.

Most of the songs are simply not very good writing. They have terrific riffs and solos (though OYE is way out of place), but the lyrics are just awful, and the melodies are... unoriginal. There are great songs, though. FTR is a fantastic song. He does a great job on the verse, and his solo is unreal. Also, the lyrics on the verse are very good. Myles wrote them. The chorus lyrics are... lame. Mark wrote them.

ODR is another terrific song, and once again, Mark is not messing around with attempts at intricate song writing, he is playing fast and aggressive, and it works, spectacularly. The lyrics are not very good, but since the rest of the song is so darn awesome, that does not matter much.

Metalingus is probably the best song on the album. It relies on heavy riffs and aggressive drumming, along with Myles' soaring vocals. It doesn't get caught up in the weaknesses of Mark's ballads or his lyrics. When you are just beating the tar out of your instruments--and doing it very very well--you do not really need to worry much about that other stuff. (WYW is another example of a strong Tremo song).

ILM is just an open chord tuning with a repetative little melody. Absolutely nothing original or different about it. The lyrics are not very good. I mean, I am sure they are heartfelt, but they are at best mediocre.

Quote: ILM is by far the most beautiful and heartfelt song he's written.

Hmmm... I hope not. Actually, someone mentioned Torn a while ago, and that actually is a really good song. The problem is, he hasn't diverged from it in a long, long time. He needs to loosen up and try some new things. He certainly has the chops to play whatever he wants.

Quote: I know you are trying to turn this into a Stapp vs. Tremo debate,

I have engaged in dozens of Stapp/Tremonti debates. There is no debate. Tremonti is fantastic, Stapp is a loser on all counts. I definitely don't need another one of those. Not only am I not attempting to start one, I don't even know where you got that impression.

Quote: but it's all been said.

I know. I said most of it.

Quote: Been there done that.

Indeed? In your 90 posts?

Quote: Grow up

I always am.

Last edited by uncertaindrumer : 10-20-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:08 PM   #45
StappsSaviour
USER INFO »

uncertaindrummer...is just a smart ass... there r always some on everypost site...

but i must say this one thing...
i think the reason behind people loving ILM is because of their own personal experiences and its something that they can relate to...
i know that i can...

and there are not many songs like that that are so good in the Rock genre anymore... the first time i heard that song i loved it... then when my brother died i loved it even more...

u go and have your opinions uncertaindrummer just know that there are things that people can do about it

My oldest brother

11.08.1987-12.06.2005