++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 AM   #16
Echelon122
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Some artists love downloading. I recall Dido made it big cause she had a following cause of Napster years back...that's how she got her name out.

The only songs I downloaded on Napster in the day were Parodys (which you can't find on actual CD's to buy), Live version (this was before I knew about bootlegs LOL), and stuff like that...things that people didn't put out there to actually buy.

I'm semi-torn about downloading....casue CD prices are insane nowdays. I remember when $9 was a LOT for a CD, when you could get them for $7.50 and $8. Now the average CD is $12-15 dollars. When I figure that into what I make...I make $8 an hour...it takes me 2 hours of work to get one CD.

I always wondered how they figure out what % goes to the actual artist themselves...what % to the record company, producer, enginieer, managment, artists, all that fun junk. On one CD it's pennies...but you add millions to that and it's a decent chunk....plus revenue from tours and merch and other liscensing and publishing...I don't really feel bad if the John Lennon estate doesn't get my money ..ya know?

But at the same time...I know a lot of smaller Christian bands...that CD's are how they make their living. They're independant bands, and I know the money goes directly to support their ministry and to help them have gas money and food. I gladly plunk down the $10 a CD for them in a heartbeat cause I know where it goes.

I usually hear songs on the radio and buy the album when it comes out or I want it anyways. I guess I do feel that they put their craft out there for people, they should earn their keep from it. If I were in their shoes, I'd want people to recognize my job as well. *shrug*

Now if they could actually prove that Napster, Kazza, et all actually had made a real dent in CD sales, I might have not thought Lars was such a dick-head the way he went about trying and getting Napster shut down. Maybe bad CD sales mean people don't actually like your stuff.

I might be a newbie here, but I've been
around a long time.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 AM   #17
multifast1
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji_2) I really don't care how wealthy someone is.....a musician's music is their product...they sell it, and make an income from it....I don't really think how rich they are should make it okay to take it without paying for it.

Once again you missed my point like usual... I agree it's wrong and doesn't matter how wealthy they are in principle.. But when you ARE that wealthy don't say that some kids downloading songs is robbing you blind. He making it sound worse than it is. Look, Metallica is one of my all-time favorite bands and I respect the hell out of them all as musicians, but Lars got way caried away in going after people for what was effectly pocket change to them.

I also buy all my CD's.. have over 300 that have contributed to the wealth of many deserving stars, but I have also gone on Kazaa and even Napster to check out songs from bands someone recommended before buying the CD.. or if I was going to a concert I would check out some music of an opening band to get a feel for them first. File sharing does have it's place if used properly.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #18
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Echelon122) I always wondered how they figure out what % goes to the actual artist themselves...what % to the record company, producer, enginieer, managment, artists, all that fun junk.

Approximately one dollar per cd.

I don't buy CDs anymore. Too expensive for a CD in which only 2 songs are good and the rest is crap. No way in fuck I am paying 0.99$ for a song either. I do pay for my music but I get it from Russia.

- Club Mp3 Search
- All of Mp3

This is completely legal under the RIAA so you can leech to your hearts content. Pricing is 0.99 per song, but under Russian currency. So if you factor that out it comes out to pennies in American dollars - one penny per megabyte. They have a huge library, there are several of these Russian sites up but these are the most popular ones. I use them, havent had a single problem.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #19
multifast1
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) Approximately one dollar per cd.

Who gets the $1 per CD? I assume you mean the artist. Actually it's based on a point system that is negotiated in their contracts. Each party involved gets a certain amount of points (100 points per CD sale). I don't know the averages but I do know the points the artists get varies widely from band to band. And if the artist is also a producer or has a stake in the distributing or record label, he/she get's a bigger piece of the pie too.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #20
Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Echelon122) Some artists love downloading. I recall Dido made it big cause she had a following cause of Napster years back...that's how she got her name out.
Exactly! New artists want to have their music heard and downloading is a great way to do that.

My MP3 player came with a list of web-sites where you can download from. And of course the only free downloads were from up-and-coming bands that want their music heard.

The price of CD's is out of control. In Best Buy last week I saw some that were over $17.00. When I purchased Shinedown last month, I was shocked that it was only $9.99.

Mulletman - thanks for that information!
Old 06-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #21
multifast1
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) ...The price of CD's is out of control....

Finally, something I don't think anyone will argue about.. except maybe record execs!