++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #31
ctfan
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) From the RIAA wesbsite....

"The RIAA® Gold® and Platinum® Awards program was launched in 1958 in an effort to create a standard by which to measure sales of a sound recording. In the beginning, there was only a Gold® album award for the sale of 500,000 copies. As the industry grew, other awards were developed. The Platinum® award (1,000,000 sold) was created in 1976 and with the advent of the compact disc and the subsequent increase in sales, the Multi-Platinum™ award was created in 1984. On March 16, 1999, the RIAA® launched the Diamond® Awards, honoring sales of 10 million copies or more of an album or single."

It's 500,000 SOLD, not shipped.

Sorry, I didn't think to add this to my reply. Here is a link for more info on certifications....

http://www.riaa.com/gp/certification/default.asp
Old 09-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #32
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Maybe they issued the plaques in anticipation of selling 500,000 CDs? I don't know, just a thought. I always thought it was for records sold as well.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #33
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Xterminator27) Yhea so backstreet Boys sold more singles then creed, man they must be WAY better

Read what I said....I agreed that sales don't indicate a band's talent.

I got friends that listen to rap music....I don't go out to clubs with them cause thats the kind of places they go. I can't worry about other people's taste in music. In my opinion the Backstreet Boys are a joke. If someone else wants to waste their money buying their crap....that's their perogative. I stick to what I like....listen to what I like....and buy what I like. I don't care how many people listen to NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears or anybody of that ilk. They can buy all the crappy CDs they want....but you will never find any of that in my CD collection....cause in my opinion....its CRAP.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:56 PM   #34
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) From the RIAA wesbsite....

"The RIAA® Gold® and Platinum® Awards program was launched in 1958 in an effort to create a standard by which to measure sales of a sound recording. In the beginning, there was only a Gold® album award for the sale of 500,000 copies. As the industry grew, other awards were developed. The Platinum® award (1,000,000 sold) was created in 1976 and with the advent of the compact disc and the subsequent increase in sales, the Multi-Platinum™ award was created in 1984. On March 16, 1999, the RIAA® launched the Diamond® Awards, honoring sales of 10 million copies or more of an album or single."

It's 500,000 SOLD, not shipped.

Isn't it Human Clay that in the past year was Certified Diamond, after they SOLD 11 million copies?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #35
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
I found this:

What does it actually mean to have your album go gold or platinum? Who decides which records get this award?

In the United States, Gold, Platinum, Multi-Platinum, and Diamond awards are granted by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) based on certified album sales. These titles are legally registered by the RIAA and cannot be awarded or used by anyone else in the U.S. without authorization.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #36
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
Thanks for everyone's input to my question. I would think in order to be certified Gold...it would have to actually sell that many. Otherwise, a record label could ship out 500,000 cd's everytime they want to promote a band and say it's Gold. What if the cd's sit on the shelves in the stores and don't sell? Then it would be unfair to say your cd is Gold when it really isn't.

I'm not dumping on Ab here just so you know, or trying to take anything away from them but I'm just trying to understand how it all works. Maybe a label saying a cd is certified gold is different to the RIAA gold certification??
I have no clue, lol.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #37
Xterminator27
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji_2) Read what I said....I agreed that sales don't indicate a band's talent.

I got friends that listen to rap music....I don't go out to clubs with them cause thats the kind of places they go. I can't worry about other people's taste in music. In my opinion the Backstreet Boys are a joke. If someone else wants to waste their money buying their crap....that's their perogative. I stick to what I like....listen to what I like....and buy what I like. I don't care how many people listen to NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears or anybody of that ilk. They can buy all the crappy CDs they want....but you will never find any of that in my CD collection....cause in my opinion....its CRAP.

No thats not my point,

My point is

WHY DOES IT MATTER???

As long as they keep making songs for me, im happy, who gives a shit on how many CDs they sell worldwide or how many "platnum" cirtificates they get. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER

Then shut the hell up and eat your damn lemons!

BUY MY MERCHANDISE
http://www.cafepress.com/xterminator27
Old 09-25-2004, 09:30 PM   #38
ctfan
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Xterminator27) No thats not my point,

My point is

WHY DOES IT MATTER???

As long as they keep making songs for me, im happy, who gives a shit on how many CDs they sell worldwide or how many "platnum" cirtificates they get. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER

It makes no difference to me at all, cause I don't care for the cd. I just put the info out there because Michael was wrong in saying that it's certifed based on the # of cd's shipped...not sold. It may be certified as far as Wind up is concerned, but according to the RIAA, Alter Bridge hasn't earned it yet.

If you like the cd...that's great.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #39
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
It doesn't matter......AB has out sold creed in its first month, that was the original point. Countering the argument that AB is not selling.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:22 AM   #40
WhatsUrCreed
USER INFO »
AB sold more than Creed's first album cuz they are running on Creed's glory...and they will run THAT into the ground as well...
Old 09-26-2004, 05:08 AM   #41
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) The RIAA awards are based on SHIPPED not SOLD as far as I know.
Exactly, thanks Steve!! That way ABBA could sell cold before the CD was released - it's ture!! So, One Day Remains sold gold in 2/3 days, end of story!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #42
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by THE LITHIUM) Exactly, thanks Steve!! That way ABBA could sell cold before the CD was released - it's ture!! So, One Day Remains sold gold in 2/3 days, end of story!

Go ahead...think whatever you want little dude.....but all the information found so far states its based on CDs SOLD. The RIAA is the only organization that awards those certifications in the U.S....and everything you find about them says SOLD. But if it makes you feel better...think what you want.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:50 AM   #43
joy division
USER INFO »

i think people need to realize that now a days and more so in the future, Creed is going to be looked at as a group that people will never admit to liking....kinda like Vanilla Ice.

thats going to be the #1 reason why AB and Stapp will never be selling out arenas or having huge selling albums. a big part of Creed's audience was the same crowd who bought NSYNC in 2000. but people grow up and their musical tastes mature.

no one really wants anything to do with Creed anymore. the general public isnt going to embrace Alter Bridge or Scott Stapp. i'll be surprised if either record goes platinum.

now with that being said, all of you guys are ridiculous. its just music. if Stapp really likes the music he's making and it only sells 100,000 copies then SO WHAT?? would that be a failure? not at all. commercially maybe but to the artist it wouldnt be. that applies to Alter Bridge as well. they look like theyre having a blast they say that they're making the best music of their lives. they like their music - if it doesnt sell SO WHAT??

FACE REALITY EVERYBODY (THAT INCLUDES ALL OF YOU). YOURE NOT GOING TO GET THE PAST BACK. TRY TO SEE WHATS REALLY IMPORTANT.

-your favorite newbie.

Last edited by joy division : 09-26-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #44
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: a big part of Creed's audience was the same crowd who bought NSYNC in 2000.

Hahaha, you really don't have a clue about Creed fans. The people I know who like NSYNC despised Creed. If you're here to start trouble (troll alert), take it somewhere else.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #45
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by WhatsUrCreed) AB sold more than Creed's first album cuz they are running on Creed's glory...and they will run THAT into the ground as well...

lol, how exactly will they do that? And you have yet to counter my agrument that they will make new noncreed fans, but I guess you will ignore that i ever said that.....What have alter bridge run into the ground?