++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
God and Country Rally Flyby Nixed

You know, I heard and saw this story on Fox and Friends this morning. Now earlier we got into a little bit of a discussion, or there was a comment made, about there not being a war on religion, or a war on faith. I'm not going to call that person out, per se, and certainly not by name or screen name, out of respect to them and the friendship I've had with them. At the end of the day, we can disagree. But I have to wonder, as the pastor who brought it up this morning mentioned, they have gotten the clearance for flybys 42 years running. What's changed after 42 years? We've got a new commander in chief. We've had some presidents of all shapes and sizes in 42 years... liberal and conservative, democrat and republican, good, bad, and everything in between. Now we've got this one who some would probably actually have you believe is more enlightened, progressive, and fair than the rest. Well, at the end of the day God is the judge, though we all can discern and should discern the words and actions of this president who called himself christian before the American people, and since being sworn into office has basically sought to distance himself from that label and has shown little regard or concern as to the opinion of the christian voters, even the christian majority in this country. Which, getting right down to it, means the Christians who are willing to stand up for truth, and not compromising on it for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

I'm reminded of a couple of verses.

Matthew 10:32 "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven."

Matthew 10:33 "But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

You see, it's easy to stand up and say, "Oh yes, I'm a christian." But we also have a saying that says actions speak louder than words. None of us are perfect, and God loves us all, and we should thank and love God for that. But you can confess Christ with your lips to benefit yourself and your image, and yet deny Him with your actions. As I said, not a single one of us is perfect. But it doesn't take too much discerning a lot of times with some people to see where they truly stand... whether they are even trying to please God, or whether they're trying to please man.

I thought of another verse too, as this pastor brought up the "covering up of Christ" at Georgetown. These verses I believe are talking about something else, more about the rapture doctrine I truly believe, which is another subject. But nevertheless, I couldn't help but think of it when you get to this "covering up".

Ezekiel 13:17 "Likewise, thou son of man, set thy face against the daughters of thy People, which prophesy out of their own heart; and prophesy thou against them,"
These false teachers, these false prophets who say "I am from Christ and God has a message for you."

Ezekiel 13:18 "And say, 'Thus saith the Lord God; Woe to the women that sew pillows to all armholes, and make kerchiefs upon the head of every stature to hunt souls! Will ye hunt the souls of My People, and will ye save the souls alive that come unto you?"

What this is talking about is a false religious doctrine. A "fly away" doctrine even. But this sewing pillows to all armholes, do you know what this is really saying?

What this is saying is that God Himself, Jesus Christ has His saving arms stretched out to His children and you go and try to cover up those outstretched arms of salvation with your false doctrine. Man can not save a soul. He can not save his own soul, let alone another soul. Again... covering up the outstretched arms of Jesus Christ with lies... hey I hope that our president has a change of heart. I don't really expect it to happen, but I hope he does. One thing I do know... man can't "cover up" God. Man can't remove God, and man can't save himself or anyone else. Those who seek truth, those who call on the name of the Lord, they will be saved. Lies just will not hold up in the face of truth.

Last edited by Faithwalker012 : 07-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Re: God and Country Rally Flyby Nixed

Now, here is the story. I'm sorry, I just had to get all that out of the way first.

Hey, again, God is judge, so it's not up to us to say certainly that any person is worthless or unrepentantly evil or going to hell... though sometimes with some people you might be tempted to think that. But I know He's watching, and I can guarantee He's not happy with the way this country is being led.

http://christianfighterpilot.com/blog/?p=362

Air Force Nixes Flyby at Patriotic Christian Event
July 6th, 2009

According to local news reports, the Air Force denied the request of the “God and Country Festival” in Nampa, Idaho, for an aircraft flyby during their July 2 celebration. Reportedly, the festival has had a flyby for the past 42 years, and was surprised by the Air Force’s decision to deny the request this year because of the festival’s religious content.

After receiving an email denying the request, the organizer reportedly called the Pentagon:

“I called him immediately and said we’ve been doing this for 42 years, we’ve had flyovers, what is the problem? He said, we have looked up your website and everything on your website seemed to focus on Christianity, ministry booths. In fact, ma’am, it sounds like it focuses on Christianity. It would be great to go to, in fact, if I personally, could come I would, but we can’t endorse such an endeavor, so they couldn’t do the flyover,” said Syme.

Some took umbrage with the military’s denial of the flyby:

For the Obama Administration to deny a flyover for the first time is a slap in the face to all those who proudly serve our country especially when we are at war. These flyovers have been a special part of the ‘God and Country Rally’ for many years.

Will the new policy of President Obama be that a person has to surrender their faith tradition to honor and pay tribute to our courageous men and women who serve in the military?

Michael Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation praised the decision, saying that the flyby would have

allowed [Christianity] to dominate the others by engaging the awesome power, prestige, and financial heft of the state.

(He also accused the organizers of being “fundamentalist,” and suggested they hold the festival in North Korea or Saudi Arabia–an ironic statement, given the fatal persecution of Christians in those countries.)

One defense noted that the point of the flyover was that any religious content of the event was incidental to the reason for the flyby:

It must be stressed that the flyover was not to honor Christianity but to honor our fallen heroes who have proudly given their lives to protect our country and advance the cause of liberty around the world.

The flyover of a religious event by the military is not inherently an endorsement of any religion, nor is the denial of such a request inherently hostility toward it. Every organization that has ever asked for a flyby knows that they are difficult to come by, and logistics and military necessity take precedence. However, when the reason given for the denial is religion, religion does enter the picture.

[On another note, it is somewhat disingenuous to associate the decision with the “Obama administration,” as the decision was probably made far below his level and irrespective of his input or even his knowledge.]

While the Pentagon spokesman may have had the best intentions, his logic was also faulty. Nothing in the regulations governing aerial demonstrations prohibits religious content in events, nor do the regulations assume that a military flyby is a government endorsement of an event or its content. The Tech Sergeant said:

As you may recall…, the DoD authorizes the Air Force to participate in flyovers for…events held in direct support of the five patriotic holidays…Your…request doesn’t fall into [that] approved category, as such, we are unable to approve it.

That’s not exactly what the instructions actually say:

Requests for off-base flyovers will be considered only for aviation-related events…or for patriotic observances held in conjunction with formal observances, open to the public, on [holidays including] Independence Day…when held within seven days of the holiday date.

Since it is evident the festival was not an aviation event, what the Tech Sgt was communicating was that the “God and Country Festival” was determined not to be an inherently patriotic observance associated with Independence Day. That is a legitimate criterion, though the organizers’ complaint about the decision is equally valid (since the festival’s own history and website indicate it is a “patriotic…formal observance, open to the public…” occurring the Wednesday prior to July 4th every year). Even so, that point is debatable without referencing religious topics. Unfortunately, he went on to say:

Air Force and DoD policy prohibit [sic] support for events which appear to endorse, selectively benefit, or favor any special interest group, religious or ideological movement.

While the Pentagon spokesman may have had the best intentions, his logic was faulty. Nothing in the regulations governing aerial demonstrations prohibits religious content in supported events, nor do the regulations assume that a military flyby is a government endorsement of an event or its content. There is similar guidance in ethics regulations, but it was an inappropriate and overly-restrictive application of those rules in this case.

In short, while there is nothing that requires the military to support any event with a flyby, the Air Force should not have used religious association of the event to deny the request. That said, it is highly unlikely that it was a malicious attempt at hostility toward Christianity; rather, the decision was likely the result of a hypersensitivity to religious topics now present in the military.

Not all official military interaction was removed from the event. The same news articles indicated four services were represented, and 79 men and women were sworn into the service.

Jason
Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »
Re: God and Country Rally Flyby Nixed

PRAISE JESUS, Wonderfull Post Jason Wonderfull Post You Brought A Lot Of Stuff And Issuies Thats Regarding Everybodys Feelings And Thoughts Nobody Is Beyond Prayer We Are Not The Judge BUT THE PRECIOUS LORD Of Host Is And Daily Im Binding THE DESTROYER And Searching And Praying For Those Who Despise Me PRAISE JESUS And Lord Search Me If Im Wrong BUT PRAISE JESUS 9 Times Out A Ten Im Back On The Battle Field PRAISE JESUS In These Days Of Decption False Spirts And False Leaders GLORY TO GOD I TRUST JESUS THE WORD OF GOD BE Our Strongest Weapon Proverbs 16>The Lord Weighs The Way Of A Man THE PREPARATIONS Of The Heart Of A Man And The Answer Of The Tounge Is From The Lord All The Ways Of A Man Are Clean In His Own Eyes But The Lord Weighs The Spirts The Word Tells Us To Commit Thy Works Unto The Lord And Thy Thoughts Shall Be Established PRAISE JESUS You Can Tell The Liar The Constant WORKER Of INQUITIY THE LORD HATH MADE ALL THINGS FOR HIMSELF YEA EVEN THE WICKED FOR THE DAY OF EVIL PRAISE JESUS These Things HAS No Place To Overcoming Us WHEN JESUS CHRIST KING OF KING AND LORD OF LORDS Is The Constant Unseen Glory In Our Lifes PRAISE JESUS LUKE>1>68>71 BLESSED BE THE LORD OF ISAREL For He Hath Visted And Reedemed His People And Hath Raised The Horn OF SALVATION For Us In House As He Spake By The Mouth Of His Holy Prophets Which Have Been Since The World Began THAT We Should Be Saved From The Hand Of All That Hate Us Peace Be With Ya Jason