++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 AM   #1
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The band "Yes"

Anybody like these Prog Rock badass? I am a new fan of theirs an i own "Relayer", "Fragile", "Closer to the edge". They're old so i don't expect anybody to like them, but i figured i would give it a shot.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hehehe, well, I'm old, and they are one of my all-time favorite bands. I was absolutely obsessed with them in high school and college. I have seen them (back in the day and even more recently) about six or seven times. Close to the Edge is a great album, along with Fragile. I also have Tales of Topographic Oceans and just about everything they put out up through Tormato (1978, I believe). They are one of the bands that helped me open my mind a little bit more when it came to music.

Dek, The Yes Album also is worth getting. I didn't really get into the Trevor Rabin era (1980s), as I thought they changed their sound a little too much for my liking. I still listen to them regularly and despite their advancing years, they are kick-ass live. Jon Anderson still manages to hit some of those higher notes, though I'm sure they tune down a little bit to help him out. There is a 35th anniversary DVD that has a lot of interview footage where the band discusses a lot of their history. It's worth getting if you want to learn more about them.

Also, their cover art was really cool. I used to pore over the art for hours while listening to the music. That's what I miss about vinyl, the cool art. CDs are just too small to really appreciate the artwork.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Hehehe, well, I'm old, and they are one of my all-time favorite bands. I was absolutely obsessed with them in high school and college. I have seen them (back in the day and even more recently) about six or seven times. Close to the Edge is a great album, along with Fragile. I also have Tales of Topographic Oceans and just about everything they put out up through Tormato (1978, I believe). They are one of the bands that helped me open my mind a little bit more when it came to music.

Dek, The Yes Album also is worth getting. I didn't really get into the Trevor Rabin era (1980s), as I thought they changed their sound a little too much for my liking. I still listen to them regularly and despite their advancing years, they are kick-ass live. Jon Anderson still manages to hit some of those higher notes, though I'm sure they tune down a little bit to help him out. There is a 35th anniversary DVD that has a lot of interview footage where the band discusses a lot of their history. It's worth getting if you want to learn more about them.

Also, their cover art was really cool. I used to pore over the art for hours while listening to the music. That's what I miss about vinyl, the cool art. CDs are just too small to really appreciate the artwork.

Cool, thanks for the info, I am relatively young (18), but one of my friend's dad recommended them to me, so i decided to give them a shot. And boy was I amazed. There bassist, drummer and keyboardist are all badasses. I think ill check out The Yes Album, and i think i remember dling 90125? and i didn't like it as much as their other stuff, I think thats in the early 80's, not sure though. They changed their sound as you have said.

Are they doing solo projects now? When did they break up?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yes, 90125 or whatever it was sucked, IMO, and it was in the early 80s sometime. I remember a friend taped it for me, and I gave it a couple of listens, but I really didn't like it. They have had a few lineup changes over the years and they are back together in some form and have toured the last few years. In fact, I was supposed to see them in May. I had a great seat, but I got really sick with a virus and couldn't go. I was bummed. Rick Wakeman, the keyboardist, is/was amazing. You should check out some of his solo stuff. Almost has a classical feel to it. Bill Bruford was the original drummer and was pretty bad-ass in his day. I believe Alan White is now on the kit. Chris Squire is the bass player and Steve Howe the guitarist. They are always working on solo stuff, but they still tour together.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
I like Yes. Probably more than is healthy.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Alter Shredder
USER INFO »
dont know a lot of their music but i like what I have heard. My Dad is a big Yes fan...He tells me about their concerts every now and then.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Yes is quite possibly the most unique band i have ever heard. Amazing stuff that you have to listen to over and over in order to grasp what the hell is going on. Great stuff though.

They give Prog rock a good name, unlike Tool (who i never got into), that stuff seems like just one big wank-fest, but that is just me.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Ohhhh, I LOVE Tool, and I'm not sure what I'd classify them as, but it's kick-ass . You should listen to Lateralus. You might actually like that one as it's a little different from their previous stuff.

Said Eyes...LMAO at what you said

Alter_Shredder, you're dad has great taste in music, hehe.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
RMadd
USER INFO »
Prog-Rock kicks ass! And Yes is one of those awesome bands.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Ohhhh, I LOVE Tool, and I'm not sure what I'd classify them as, but it's kick-ass . You should listen to Lateralus. You might actually like that one as it's a little different from their previous stuff.

Said Eyes...LMAO at what you said

Alter_Shredder, you're dad has great taste in music, hehe.

Lateralus is the only tool album i have......its alright in small doses.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Oh, OK, hehehe...Then get Aenima