++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 07-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
NeedforCreed
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Better Than Creed?

Heard OYE the other day for the first time and I tell you, it sounded really weird. The big thing is though that at the end the dj told the name of the song throwing in the line that it was better than Creed. I think for someone to point that out is probably someone who never liked Creed to begin with. I think Creed was (hard to put it like that) a band very polarizing. Either you loved them or hated them. I think AB has a hill to climb, being under the shadow of Creed and lines like this dj stated won't make it any easier. The only thing it does is make the comparison to Creed, a band unique in it's own right.

Last edited by NeedforCreed : 07-24-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I posted this somewhere else so please forgive the repetition, but after the dj's here in the Philly/So. Jersey area played OYE, all three stations mentioned that it was the guys from Creed with a new name and a new lead singer. It definitely will be a chore for them to break free from the Creed name and make a name for themselves. By that I mean they'll probably need to prove themselves to those that were never Creed fans, not to people like us who liked them.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 07-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #3
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
its a double-edged sword in my view. there are the obvious problems already stated but some major benefits as well. it certainly helps to get the name out there and would be really tough to get out there if none of the members were in famous bands previous to AB.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 07-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by NeedforCreed) Either you loved them or hated them. I think AB has a hill to climb, being under the shadow of Creed and lines like this dj stated won't make it any easier. The only thing it does is make the comparison to Creed, a band unique in it's own right.
I never understood how people hated them so much. They say it was because of Scott Stapp. Have you ever been to a Creed concert? It was Scott that made the show. (These statements are not directed at you needforcreed, just talking in general)

I was watching a bootleg last night and it was Scott that "covered" all bases in the show and walked the "catwalk". During some songs you couldn't even hear Scott because the audience knew all the words. Amazing is all I have to say about Scott's stage presence.

People can hate Creed all the want - but they sold millions of CD's and played to sold-out shows night after night.

I have been to literally hundreds of concerts and there are only a few bands that really have that "Magic". Creed was one of them.

Will Mark, Scott P., Brian and Myles have that? I don't think to the same degree. Mark will always be a great guitar player but Myles just doesn't do anything for me. I'll get the CD and probably see them live, if it's convenient for me. But, it will never be the same, never.

There is just something about Scott that draws people in. AB will be in Creed's shadow for a long time.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
I agree with you that Scott had amazing stage presence and as much as I love Mark's guitar work he just seemed to stand up on stage. He certainly didn't put on a "show". After watching the OYEs video I don't think Myles has the same, whatr would the word be....., maybe magnetism that Scott has. Scott seemed to draw you in and feel the emotion of the songs. I didn't get that vibe from the OYEs video but then again it is only a video. I plan on seeing them here in Philly on the 9th of October so I will have a better view then.

As for DJs and others mentioning Creed when they talk about Alter Bridge is going to happen for a long time. Look at Velvet Revolver, the members of that band come from two of the biggest bands around. I only see the Creed name dropping as helping them. It gets the word out there to others that, "Hey these guys used to be in Creed, check out this new kick ass song they did." I only see that as something good, there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I hardly think you can judge stage presence through a video. The comparisons are inevitable, though, which is unfortunate. It's different music, a different band. I will agree that Scott S. was a great frontman, but he hasn't and won't be the only one.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:25 AM   #7
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
no i agree and that is why i said i would have a better view on it after i saw the band on the 9th of October.

You are entirely right that Scott wasn't the first, nor will he be the last great front man. But damn he was great.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #8
RMadd
USER INFO »
I think people who hated Creed did so b/c they viewed Stappo as a sort of egomaniac, and to be quite honest, I can see how they got that impression. One specific thing about concerts I've heard people didn't like were his Messianic, Christ-like poses.
But but to OYE... I can't get enough of that song! When it was first released for streaming online, it wouldn't work for me uninterrupted, so that sucked balls. But now, after having bought the album Tues. morning, WOW!!! Sure it's different. But Tremo's shred in the song is off the heezy! Sure, it's not Eddie Van Halen or anything, but who is? I love the song, simple as that. I also like Burn It Down, Broken Wings, and In Loving Memory. All in all, a solid album.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
WhatsUrCreed
USER INFO »
WTF ARE YOU TALKEN ABOUT?!?! THIS ISNT A POLITICAL THREAD AND FRANKLY I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT BUSH OR KERRY...(so when is Hillary Clinton running?)
Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
WhatsUrCreed
USER INFO »
nvm...i am an idiot
Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #11
cyndeelouwho
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) I
Will Mark, Scott P., Brian and Myles have that? I don't think to the same degree. Mark will always be a great guitar player but Myles just doesn't do anything for me. I'll get the CD and probably see them live, if it's convenient for me. But, it will never be the same, never.
It is not suppose to be the same. If they wanted it to be the same the guys would have stayed with CREED. They are keeping it real. If its not fun anymore why bother? Money,,,,,I am glad Tremonti and Flip finally got out! And as for Myles, I think he sounds great!
Old 08-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #12
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) There is just something about Scott that draws people in. AB will be in Creed's shadow for a long time.

DEFINATELY!!! Our beloved Scott has the amazing X-factor...

Alter Bridge isn't that bad IMO... I like 'em!!! But THE MAGIC??? Nah! Won't happen.

Scott made CREED extra special... No doubt about that!!!

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 09-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #13
Redeemer
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Redeemer Send a message via MSN to Redeemer Send a message via Yahoo to Redeemer
All of you guys have a point...I was listening to the radio when OYE came on for the first time...the DJ then commenced to bashing Stappy just because he wasn't in AB and because he felt that the dude was an egomaniac, yadda yadda yadda. All that bull all over again.
I like AB too, and OYE really reminds me of Creed (I guess it's the fact that there are THREE MEMBERS OF CREED in the band...that should have something to do with it, right? ), makes me kind of nostalgic to hear it because I'll never hear anything new from Creed, I'll never jump up and down when the DJ announces a new single...ah, whatever.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #14
cariocawlad
USER INFO »
Well, for me OYE, DTML, FTR and a few other songs remind me of Creed...the album has that smell of Creed and I think that's why I really love It! Let's face: There are three Creed member in the band...It couldn't sound so different.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #15
Redeemer
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Redeemer Send a message via MSN to Redeemer Send a message via Yahoo to Redeemer
Quote: (Originally Posted by cariocawlad) Let's face: There are three Creed member in the band...It couldn't sound so different.
Well, yeah. That's what I was trying to say.