++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 02-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #16
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Re: Who wrote the lyrics for the songs of Creed?

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) Another great example is Scott himself - a tortured soul if ever there was one. Think of him and look at the lyrics to the My Own Prison album.

Wasn't it revealed Mark wrote the most lyrics on the MOP album? Or was it the other way around? I forget...

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 02-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) Wasn't it revealed Mark wrote the most lyrics on the MOP album? Or was it the other way around? I forget...

I think it has been revealed that Mark wrote Torn, the chorus to My Own Prison and the first verse to What's This Life For - Mark's brother posted this in an old thread. I believe that Scott wrote the majority of the album.

Take Torn for example - even that is lyrically different to the rest of the album.

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 02-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #18
titan9
USER INFO »

I swear it was the other way around, Steve. I think the only songs Mark had a big role in(on MOP) were Torn(he wrote all of that), MOP(he wrote the chorus that he sings), Pity for a Dime(wrote the chorus) and WTLF(wrote the first verse and I think the chorus). I believe Stapp did all the rest, but I may be wrong on that.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #19
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) I swear it was the other way around, Steve. I think the only songs Mark had a big role in(on MOP) were Torn(he wrote all of that), MOP(he wrote the chorus that he sings), Pity for a Dime(wrote the chorus) and WTLF(wrote the first verse and I think the chorus). I believe Stapp did all the rest, but I may be wrong on that.

Forgot that one!

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 02-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #20
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) I think it has been revealed that Mark wrote Torn, the chorus to My Own Prison and the first verse to What's This Life For - Mark's brother posted this in an old thread. I believe that Scott wrote the majority of the album.

Take Torn for example - even that is lyrically different to the rest of the album.
i agree with u

btw ur scott qoute is funny" its good to be king" lol
Old 02-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #21
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) I have found absolutely no similarities whatsoever between Creed and Alter Bridge lyrically.

... and i can't believe some people are still in denial over this!!! songs like OYE, BW, TEIH, and the other slower, more "post-grungy" tracks (not FTR ODR and Metalingus).... they're veeeeeeery Creedish!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #22
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) ... and i can't believe some people are still in denial over this!!! songs like OYE, BW, TEIH, and the other slower, more "post-grungy" tracks (not FTR ODR and Metalingus).... they're veeeeeeery Creedish!

You have given 3 (dubious ) examples out of a possible 11. Broken Wings I agree with.

As I said in a previos post, Mark is trying too hard to write like Scott - so it's inevitable that certain songs will sound Creedish. You also have to take into consideration that Mark did write the music to Creed - so it's also inevitable that certain songs will sound like Creed.

I found no similarities lyrically, not musically.

Take Care

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #23
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) The only song Scott wrote? Didn't that win them a Grammy? Oh well, not a bad record!

Funny you should reapeat me on this one... I didn't say WHAT prise they won just that they did since I had forgotten whitch one it was seeing there so many of them.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #24
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

No Titan, Steve's right...

Robin, I think you have a bit too much belife in Stapp, I had too much belife in him once...

Robin, you say that Mark is trying too hard to write like Stapp? Still you're saying you can't find any kind of traces of Mark writing the Creed lyrics when you look at AB songs, this for me is two things that can't be combined.

Yes, I give it to you, Stapp uses Friend alot in Creed... BUT! Friend... Come on! Friend, that is such a used word allready...

I'd say BW isn't Creedish since it's got a bluesy feel to it.

Yes, Torn dose stand out from the rest of the songs on the album, but I'd say every CD has that song... Look at ILM on ODR, or WAWO or Signs... Now Signs is a good example to compare to Torn... They both have the same structure right? I mean, they don't tell a storie like most Creed songs try to do, they just stagger things up...

Now Stapp actually have a song where he does just this... Let Go, here he just stagger things up on a pile...

Take Care

Oh but before I go, where did you read/hear Stapp say "it's good to be the king"?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #25
titan9
USER INFO »

Considering I haven't seen any proof of Mark writing the majority of MOP's lyrics(meaning posts by Michael Tremonti, or interviews), I don't subscribe to that belief.....ESPECIALLY after taking AB's lyrics to heart. How anyone can think a song like My Own Prison is comparable to ANY song on ODR(from a lyrical standpoint) just boggles my mind.

As far as lyrical style is concerned, AB's lyrics are far more simplistic than Creed's were. Look at a song like "Faceless Man" and compare that to "Open Your Eyes". No comparison, as far as style and complexity is concerned.

"Torn" sticks out like a sore thumb on MOP...for it's lyrical simplicity. Let's look at the lyrics, shall we?

"Peace is what they tell me
Love am I unholy
Lies are what they tell me
Despise you that control me
(chorus)
The peace is dead in my soul
I have blamed the reason for
My intentions poor
Yes I'm the one who
The only one who
Would carry on this far
Torn, I'm filthy
Born in my own misery
Stole all that you gave me
Control you claim you save me
(chorus)"

And let's compare it to a song that we know Stapp wrote most of(excluding the chorus).....MOP:

"A court is in session
A verdict is in
No appeal on the docket today
Just my own sin
The walls cold and pale
The cage made of steel
Screams fill the room
Alone I drop and kneel
Silence now the sound
My breath the only motion around
Demons cluttering around
My face showing no emotion
Shackled by my sentence
Expecting no return
Here there is no penance
My skin begins to burn......

I hear a thunder in the distance
See a vision of a cross
I feel the pain that was given
On that sad day of loss
A lion roars in the darkness
Only he holds the key
A light to free me from my burdens
And grant me life eternally
Should have been dead on a Sunday morning
Banging my head
No time for mourning
Ain't got no time.....

I cry out to God
Seeking only His decision
Gabriel stands and confirms
I've created my own prison".

Let's then compare MOP to "Broken Wings":

"Fight the fight alone
When the world is full of victims
Dims a fading light
In our souls

Leave the peace alone
Now we all are slowly changing
Dims a fading light
In our souls

In my opinion seeing is to know
The things we hold
Are always first to go
And who's to say
We won't end up alone

[CHORUS]

On broken wings I'm falling
And it won't be long
The skin on me is burning
By the fires of the sun
On skinned knees
I'm bleeding
And it won't be long
I've got to find that meaning
I'll search for so long

Cry ourselves to sleep
We will sleep alone forever
Will you lay me down
In the same place with all I love

Mend the broken homes
Care for them they are our brothers
Save the fading light in our souls

In my opinion seeing is to know
What you give
Will always carry you
And who's to say
We won't survive it too."

Let's now compare "Broken Wings" to "Faceless Man":

"I spent a day by the river
It was quiet and the wind stood still
I spent some time with nature
To remind me of all that's real
It's funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone
And remember that you feel

Again I stand against the Faceless Man
Again I stand, lord I stand, against the Faceless Man

Now I saw a face on the water
It looked humble but willing to fight
I saw the will of a warrior
His yoke is easy and His burden is light
He looked me right in the eyes
Direct and concise to remind me
To always do what's right".

Given Stapp's strict religious upbringing, the fact that he was often "forced" to read the Bible as punishment, and the fact that many of Creed's lyrics were quite spiritual(such as "Faceless Man"), it would appear that Stapp was responsible for the vast majority of Creed's lyrics. Remember: lyrics are a VERY personal thing. That much, as a lyricist, I can attest to. Stapp's spiritual struggles, his upbringing, are reflected in Creed's lyrics. That leads me to believe that he, not Tremo, wrote the majority of the Creed lyrics....especially when I see what Tremo has written for AB.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #26
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RoffeDH) No Titan, Steve's right...

Robin, I think you have a bit too much belife in Stapp, I had too much belife in him once...

Robin, you say that Mark is trying too hard to write like Stapp? Still you're saying you can't find any kind of traces of Mark writing the Creed lyrics when you look at AB songs, this for me is two things that can't be combined.

Yes, I give it to you, Stapp uses Friend alot in Creed... BUT! Friend... Come on! Friend, that is such a used word allready...

I'd say BW isn't Creedish since it's got a bluesy feel to it.

Yes, Torn dose stand out from the rest of the songs on the album, but I'd say every CD has that song... Look at ILM on ODR, or WAWO or Signs... Now Signs is a good example to compare to Torn... They both have the same structure right? I mean, they don't tell a storie like most Creed songs try to do, they just stagger things up...

Now Stapp actually have a song where he does just this... Let Go, here he just stagger things up on a pile...

Take Care

Oh but before I go, where did you read/hear Stapp say "it's good to be the king"?
his sex tape
Old 02-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #27
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9)
Given Stapp's strict religious upbringing, the fact that he was often "forced" to read the Bible as punishment, and the fact that many of Creed's lyrics were quite spiritual(such as "Faceless Man"), it would appear that Stapp was responsible for the vast majority of Creed's lyrics. Remember: lyrics are a VERY personal thing. That much, as a lyricist, I can attest to. Stapp's spiritual struggles, his upbringing, are reflected in Creed's lyrics. That leads me to believe that he, not Tremo, wrote the majority of the Creed lyrics....especially when I see what Tremo has written for AB.
same here
Old 02-19-2006, 06:20 AM   #28
facelessmike
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RoffeDH) Oh but before I go, where did you read/hear Stapp say "it's good to be the king"?

I think Scott's a fan of Mel Brooks' History of the World Pt. 1. (hilarious movie.)
Old 02-19-2006, 08:39 AM   #29
IamFilthy
USER INFO »

Scott writes the vast majority of lyrics..........here is an exerpt from an interview with Mark in the April 2001 issue of Guitar World magazine :

GW: What do you each(Stapp and Tremonti) bring to the table?

Tremonti: I'm the heavy guy. When we first got together, Scott wasn't very well versed in rock n' roll music. He liked U2 and the Doors. He liked singers that told a story and had some substance in their lyrics. Scott is a brilliant lyricist; he writes real deep and meaningful stuff. I write music and hum stuff pretty well. I come up with garbage kind of words, some that stick and most that don't. So when we get together, I put all my effort into the music and he puts all his into the lyrics. Then we finish the melodies together. We fill each other's voids. I have trouble writing lyrics and Scott can't play guitar.
Stapp wrote the VAST majority of MOP. Let's face it,...Tremonti is not a good lyricist. He has said so himself along with ODR speaking loudly as well.
I've been living a double life
Old 02-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #30
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

Titan... Yes, Scott was brought up in a strict christian home that would make the Creed lyrics fit his world perfect, I must agree (being a lyricist myself I know this). But I can also look at a movie and just feel how that movie could be a great song and how to the song would be built up, Mark could have written lyrics ABOUT Stapp, lyrics that was formed by Stapps life.
One reson as far as I see it, why you can't compare ODR lyrics to MOP lyrics is becous they're written with 10 years difference. Take Don't Stop Dancing witch Mark reportedly have said he regreat ever written becouse of the way that Stapp sings it:

"At times life is wicked and I just can’t
see the light
A silver lining sometimes isn’t enough
To make some wrongs seem right
Whatever life brings
I’ve been through everything
And now I’m on my knees again

But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many
feel this way

Children don’t stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away…away

At times life’s unfair and you know
it’s plain to see
Hey God I know I’m just a dot in
this world
Have you forgot about me?
Whatever life brings
I’ve been through everything
And now I’m on my knees again

But I know I must go on
feel this way

Am I hiding in the shadows?
Forget the pain and forget the sorrows

But I know I must go on
feel this way

Children don’t stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away…away

Am I hiding in the shadows?
Are we hiding in the shadows?"

This is so unlike the anything we've seen on MOP, and IF Stapp wrote this then he's changed his style of doing the lyrics. Witch Mark should have too if he wrote the lyrics.

You say that Torn sticks out like a "sore thumb" on MOP, well, I don't know about you but when I get this inspiration lighting strike I tend to not write like I use to write, it tend to be more direct and not hidden behind over thought lines and stuff, perhaps Mark has the same writing style. Just look at ILM, that sticks out kind of alot from the rest of the songs doesn't it?

You compare Faceless Man to Open Your Eyes, that's just lame. OYE isn't Marks best tune at all, it's too popish... Come on! There is (as far as I know) one other spiritual song on that record, namely Down To My Last. And that for me is compareble to Down To My Last.