++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
MissSeeker
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The Great Divide vs. Alter Bridge

In my opinion Alter Bridge made a better album than Scott. Scott seems to be only complaining about personal life on the album while Alter Bridge is more spiritual. I love Scott very much but he and Tremonti toghether make better music.

"...in the frozen night I prayed, for a touch of warmth so long delayed...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
IamFilthy
USER INFO »
Re: The Great Divide vs. Alter Bridge

I disagree,... I feel that the lyrics on ODR are are pretty close to terrible. Although TGD isn't Scott's best work lyrically, it is a far cry better than Alterbridge's work. I also feel(IMO) that TGD is a helluva lot catch-ier than ODR and sounds like a more thought-provoking record.
I've been living a double life
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Rawker
USER INFO »

i have to disagree with filthy, i think the great divide sucks, i deleted it off my computer after hearing half of track one and half of track 2, i just thot "this sucks" so i went back to listening to ODR which is (imo) alot catchier, the guitar work is ALOT better (not imo thats a fact) and myles voice is better aswell.
this is just my opinion so dont jump down my throat
Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
titan9
USER INFO »

Not to jump down your throat, but in all fairness, I do not think you can judge an album based on half of the first two tracks. For TGD in particular, I think a few full listens(listening to the album from the first track to the last) are needed to really judge the album. Just my opinion.

As far as the topic at hand, well, I'll be honest: I like ODR and TGD equally. There are qualities about both that I really enjoy(for ODR, it is Myles' soaring vocals and Mark's amazing solos and for TGD, it is Stapp's smooth vocals and decent lyrics) and weaknesses in both(TGD's music is fairly simplistic while ODR's lyrics are kinda boring to me[outside of a few tracks, like FTR]). Honestly, I can draw more spirituality from TGD(by listening to the CD from the first to the last track) than from ODR. I really look at the way TGD's tracks are arranged as taking a person through a journey. I guess I just relate more with the lyrics because, well, spiritually speaking, I've been through some of the same things Stapp has. The CD basically takes me back to where I once was, and brings me back(by the last track) to where I am today(if that makes any sense, whatsoever). ODR doesn't do the same thing for me and I don't have as much of an appreciation for the lyrics on that CD. I guess it's just that I'm used to lyrics that aren't overly simplistic and really make you think.

For the next Stapp album, I'd like to see improved music and better lyrics. For the next AB album, I'd like to see more solos and Myles writing the lyrics. Both artists put out good debuts, imo, but both have a good bit to improve upon. Neither album, to me, is on the same level as Creed's classic MOP CD, but I think both artists could approach that level with their next CDs...if things are done to improve upon the debut CDs. We'll see, I guess.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
RobertGene13
USER INFO »

Alter Bridges' lyrics on ODR are better and create a better picture, but to me, Scott Stapp lyrics flow better and are easier to understand. Although I was impressed by the music on TGD, I feel like ODR did a better job. I agree, Stapp and Tremonti made the best music, that's why we're all here.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
The Lithium
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by MissSeeker) In my opinion Alter Bridge made a better album than Scott. Scott seems to be only complaining about personal life on the album while Alter Bridge is more spiritual. I love Scott very much but he and Tremonti toghether make better music.
I'm glad to see that coming from a Stapp fan, 'cause I totally agree!

But I think this thread is pretty unnecessary, since there has been too much talk about this already, on this board!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor

Last edited by The Lithium : 01-26-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Not to jump down your throat, but in all fairness, I do not think you can judge an album based on half of the first two tracks. For TGD in particular, I think a few full listens(listening to the album from the first track to the last) are needed to really judge the album. Just my opinion.

As far as the topic at hand, well, I'll be honest: I like ODR and TGD equally. There are qualities about both that I really enjoy(for ODR, it is Myles' soaring vocals and Mark's amazing solos and for TGD, it is Stapp's smooth vocals and decent lyrics) and weaknesses in both(TGD's music is fairly simplistic while ODR's lyrics are kinda boring to me[outside of a few tracks, like FTR]). Honestly, I can draw more spirituality from TGD(by listening to the CD from the first to the last track) than from ODR. I really look at the way TGD's tracks are arranged as taking a person through a journey. I guess I just relate more with the lyrics because, well, spiritually speaking, I've been through some of the same things Stapp has. The CD basically takes me back to where I once was, and brings me back(by the last track) to where I am today(if that makes any sense, whatsoever). ODR doesn't do the same thing for me and I don't have as much of an appreciation for the lyrics on that CD. I guess it's just that I'm used to lyrics that aren't overly simplistic and really make you think.

For the next Stapp album, I'd like to see improved music and better lyrics. For the next AB album, I'd like to see more solos and Myles writing the lyrics. Both artists put out good debuts, imo, but both have a good bit to improve upon. Neither album, to me, is on the same level as Creed's classic MOP CD, but I think both artists could approach that level with their next CDs...if things are done to improve upon the debut CDs. We'll see, I guess.

great post.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
GregS
USER INFO »

One Day Remains is alot better than the great divide. Tho TGD is a great album , still a fan of Scott. I just think The vocals , lyrics , guitar etc is better on ODR than on TGD.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
facelessmike
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by The Lithium) But I think this thread unnecessary, since there has been too much talk about this already, on this board!
Yeah, I just saw the thread title and was surprised it wasnt closed!
Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

I'm gonna post my opinion but if it's closed I'm not sorry since these almost allways include posts like "Stapp rocks and AB sucks hard" or vice versa... But if we keep this at a sofistikated level it could work... Now for my post...

TGD isn't that good of a record, Stapps vocals aren't that smoth imo. Not on the "hard" tracks, they just don't seem to flow with the music on thos, on the other hand on the "soft" tracks (seeing they're all soft for me) they float better with the music but I'm missing THAT feeling. The lyrrics are realy realy bad on TGD, he uses the same lyrrics over and over again like "Welcome friend" on the three first tracs (if I'm not misstaken me).
ODR imo is a very good album, sure the lyrrics could be better, but with Myles in the writing that wont be a problem. Otherwise, just make it harder and you have all of it prefekt imo. More solos, more Myles, more everything and we have a winner, oh... And a new record company!
The reson I don't think ODR lyrics are bad is becouse imo they really really stand out, not like they're a master pice but WYW, SMS, TEIH, ILM, ODR, FTR, okey, all of them for me have a meaning, wouldn't say spiritual (imo TGD have a more spiritual tone but there are spiritual tones in ODR) but down to earth and they're positive, don't blame anyone just tells them to watch what they're saying
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »

As a whole, ODR is better than TGD: it's solid and more versatile. The lyrics are metaphorical, which make them harder to understand and apply to ourselves when we don't know what inspired them to do it. But they can be improved.

Stapp's lyrics are "catchier" and more radio friendly, yet I don't think it's a reason to make it better or worse. The music is quite simple, but it's good Stapp did some "experimental" tracks like on Justify, which is like he's telling a story and talking on the 1st person instead of singing.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp

In all honesty I like ODR a lot than TGD. ODR like Marcos said is more versatile (Metalingus, ODR, Broken Wings are very different ) and TGD seems to continuously repeat the same theme, except by Justify. L

yricaly, TGD is extremely inferior and I am quite disappointed by them. Stapp songs on TGD do not seem to be writen by the same guy that wrote Faceless Man or WTLF...

I always disliked TGD single, but I had a hope that the others songs could be more 'consistent'.

I still can listen to ODR after all this time( I bought that cd a one year ago), but I barely remember when was the last time I listened to TGD...
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

Last edited by Ana4Stapp : 01-26-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

I wanted to like TGD, but it's impossible. I think Stapp's lyrics took a step down on this one and the whole thing feels like it was done just to satisfy a record contract. I don't know, I have tried to listen to it, but the music is boring for the most part. The only song that has any life for me is Justify. The rest of it sounds rehashed to me. I also don't think his voice sounds all that smooth anymore. It sounds rough and forced in some spots, especially on the songs where he's trying to reach notes.

For me, ODR is a much better album, music-wise, although it still gets only a B- from me. A few of the tracks sound very Creed-ish to me. I think the lyrics are fair at best, but I'm hoping that will change for the next album. I think Myles' musical contributions could blend in an interesting way with Mark's. They need to develop their unique sound.
I hope the record label gives them a little more creative control. I felt like some of the songs were made to satisfy the radio, which is never good, IMO.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
MissSeeker
USER INFO »

I guess both TGD and ODR are not as good as Creed. I hoped TGD would be like Creed, but there's just something missing, the sound is less harmonious. Maybe Scott would be better off with a real band.

"...in the frozen night I prayed, for a touch of warmth so long delayed...
Old 01-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #15
MackaN
USER INFO »

Tremo was the guy behind the success of Creed. Not Stapp. Mark's sound was the main thing why Creed was such a success. Cause let's face it, Creed had a special sound. Tremo is a genius.

This really shows on these two records. Tremo wrote plenty of Creed songs too so he can do that sort of thing. So lyricly One Thing Remains is great. Not to mention the sound ! You can really see that AB enjoys every show. Mark can do whatever he want. In Creed he was unhappy. Im glad for him, Flip and Brian. AND, Myles sings the shit out of Stapp.

TGD isnt nearly as good. The lyrics isnt as good as Stapp wrote in Creed. The music sucks. I dont like Stapp at all, but if TGD was a decent record I would be the first to say so.

I listened to TGD a couple of times when I first got it in november. Never listened to it since...