++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 12-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #1
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Steroids in Sports!!!

This is a bunch of BS that Bonds is saying. I'm sorry but the man A) should be stripped of ALL his records/awards, B) probably kicked out of baseball. Sorry guys I'm a huge baseball fan, and when guys get away with this stuff it drives me insane! It's time they laid down the law on steriods in baseball...

Bonds unknowingly used steroids
Believed BALCO products were legal supplements

By Rich Draper / MLB.com

• Selig: Drug policy needs to be tougher
• Commissioner's statement
• Players saddened by Giambi news
• Giambi quiet amid speculation

SAN FRANCISCO -- There's a new twist to the ongoing investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, known as BALCO, with Giants outfielder Barry Bonds reportedly telling a federal grand jury he used substances supplied by the company but didn't believe they were steroids.
According to a report on the San Francisco Chronicle's Web site late Thursday night, Bonds testified that he used a clear substance and cream during the 2003 season and was told by his personal trainer, Greg Anderson, they were nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis.

Prosecutors claim BALCO distributed undetectable steroids to athletes in the form of a clear substance taken orally and a cream rubbed onto the body.

Bonds has always denied he took steroids.

The Chronicle reported a transcript of Bonds' testimony revealed that prosecutors confronted him with documents and billing information which allegedly detailed Bonds' use of steroids, human growth hormone and other performance-enhancing substances between 2001 and 2003.

Bonds told his questioners that he had never seen the documents and had never paid Anderson for steroids. Bonds also said Anderson "wouldn't jeopardize our friendship" by giving him banned substances.

"Greg and I are friends," Bonds reportedly testified. "I never paid Greg for anything. ... You're going to bring up documents and more documents. I have never seen anything written by Greg Anderson on a piece of paper."

When asked about the allegations, Bonds' attorney Michael Raines told the Chronicle that he suspected the government leaked the secret testimony.

"My view has always been this case has been the U.S. vs. Bonds, and I think the government has moved in certain ways in a concerted effort to indict my client," said Rains. "And I think their failure to indict him has resulted in their attempts to smear him publicly."

Bonds told prosecutors that Anderson brought the products he believed to be legal supplements into the Giants' clubhouse at the San Francisco ballpark "once a homestand," according to the Chronicle.

Bonds reportedly testified, "I never asked Greg" [about what the products contained]. When he said it was flaxseed oil, I just said, 'Whatever.'

"It was in the ballpark ... in front of everybody. I mean, all the reporters, my teammates. I mean, they all saw it. I didn't hide it."

Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi and his brother Jeremy testified a week after Bonds that they had injected themselves with performance-enhancing drugs supplied by Anderson. Other players reportedly admitting they used such drugs were former Giants Benito Santiago, Bobby Estalella and Armando Rios.

Anderson was indicted on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to distribute steroids in February. His attorney told the Chronicle he never knowingly broke the law.

Before testifying, Bonds was reportedly told he would not be prosecuted for any crimes he admitted under oath if he answered questions truthfully, but could be subject to prosecution for perjury if he lied.

Bonds' long-time friend, Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield, reportedly testified that Bonds arranged for him to receive "the cream" and "the clear" and "red beans" -- which prosecutors identified as steroids pills manufactured in Mexico -- while working out in the Bay Area prior to the 2002 season. Sheffield also said he was not told the substances were steroids.

Attorneys for Sheffield and Santiago were dismayed the grand jury secret testimony had been leaked, according to the Chronicle.

Rich Draper is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)
Old 12-03-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
benkenobi
USER INFO »
This is driving me up the wall!!! Bonds is going to end up getting away with all his records and nothing seems is going to be done about it. They know for sure he used the stuff. Even if for some ridiculous reason he didn't know it still doesn't take away the fact that he was using performance inhancing supplements to achieve his records. They should be taken away from him because it's not fair to the players of the past when steriods weren't even heard of!

I also know that it would probably open a whole new case of finding out if other players (even retired) were using steriods, and it will probably never be totally cleared up. The Commissioner of Baseball has already said we need a "tougher" system so I think you have to start with punishment somewhere or it will only get worse.

Anybody else have any comments?
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)

Last edited by benkenobi : 12-03-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #3
RMadd
USER INFO »
I know Barry Bonds is on steroids. How could he not be? I mean, they say your testicles shrink, and if you've heard him talk, his voice is wayyyy up there, at lot higher than you'd expect from a normal, muscular black dude (of course, it could be just b/c he's in San Francisco)... I don't care if he claims he used the product w/o knowing--something tells me the BALCO fella told all those guys along the way. In the very least, I hope they all realize: Hey, Ken Caminiti died in his 40s, and it probably wasn't only due to the drug overdose. The 'roids likely had something to do w/ it as well. I, too, think guys who test positive for steroids should, like Pete Rose, be banned from baseball. And those who set records or achieved big accomplishments, such as MVP, should have those stripped if it can be proven they used the 'roids during those years or records.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
If they strip Bonds, they'd have to address all others who took steroids, too. That stuff is rampant in baseball, end of story. I don't believe for a second that Bonds didn't know what he was doing. I really hate it when people just insult the public's intelligence with utter lies. I have his baseball cards from the 80s and early 90s and he was pretty thin. Not to mention that he pretty much averaged about 30 homers until 2000 or so, when the explosion hit, along with his weight climb. Coincidence? I think not. Same with Sosa and McGwire. Those guys used stuff, too. And look at Marion Jones, another who insists she never took 'roids. She's full of shit, too.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
RMadd
USER INFO »
ahhh, but McGwire used Androtestosterone or whatever it is. though it is now illegal in the MLB, it was perfectly legal when he hit his 70 HR's in 1998. McGwire, he'd always been a big bopper (hit a rookie-record 49 HRs), he just added more bulk thru andro. and Sosa, if you consider cork "stuff", then I guess he's guilty lol
i agree that all players using steroids should be banned for life, not just Bonds.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Regardless of what was legal and illegal, it taints the game. I think the money has a lot to do with it, along with the thirst for offense: home runs. It's one thing to have a protein drink or whatever, but to use substances that alter your body chemistry and result in unnatural bulkiness, not to mention the side effects, is not fair in my mind, especially to those who aren't using. Baseball needs to level the playing field, so to speak.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
Chase
USER INFO »
I'm from San Diego and a HUGE Padre fan. Since our neighboring city to the south is Tijuana, steriods are very easy to get for some of these athletes. Ken Caminiti is a good example of this. Although he was one of the greatest Padres in the history of the ballclub, he really tarnished his image by using steriods and ultimately becoming an alcoholic and drug addict. He was great athlete... but look at what happened to him. I'm positive that steriods were a contributing factor to his early death. I'm remember seeing Sammy Sosa play when I was a kid. The man was some skinny Dominican guy... now look at him. The same with Bonds... look at him during his Pittsburgh Pirates days... and look at how fast he was around those bases. He was lanky. The man is not and will never be as good as Babe Ruth. Could you image what the Babe could've done if he was around today? He would have around 900 homeruns, at least. Look at what poor shape he was in for most of his career... and look at how many wins he had as a pitcher and how many homeruns he had. It's amazing. Look at how thin Ted Williams was... and look at how amazing of a hitter he was. Same with Cobb and Dimaggio. Now don't get me wrong, I think Bonds is a phenomenal hitter and player (I've seen him play many times), but I firmly believe that he's on steriods. I also don't think that he should get away with what he's doing either. It's cheating and it's sending a bad message to high school and college players. It's telling them that they don't have a shot at being drafted by a major league team UNLESS the juice up and become massive men. I played high school ball and I've seen teammates use the stuff because people judge by home runs more than batting average these days. The prestige of baseball needs to be saved from this garbage.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #8
Lechium
USER INFO »
I think that steriods are ok in a way because yeah they get performance boost, but in the long run they're fucked. If guy is willing to trade his health and fertility for being officiall called guy who did that many homeruns.... well i think he's getting a pretty bad deal if you think of it.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
RMadd
USER INFO »
here's a link to pics of Bonds every year since his rookie season
http://espn.go.com/mlb/gallery/19379070.html
check out pictures 11 (1998), 12 (1999) and 13 (2000) for a little "surprise"

Old 12-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
RMadd
USER INFO »
eh, here's the direct link to those 3 particular pics
11 ('98) http://espn.go.com/mlb/gallery/193790710.html
12 ('99) http://espn.go.com/mlb/gallery/193790711.html
13 ('00) http://espn.go.com/mlb/gallery/193790712.html

Old 12-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
It really is a shame. Baseball is my favorite sport; those records need to be returned to the rightful owners.

Funny, no on has mentioned the juicing of the balls over the last decade...