++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The Prodigal Son

Luke 15:11 "And He said, "A certain man had two sons:"

Naturally there will be a separation here, as with the other two parables.

Luke 15:12 "And the younger of them said to his father: `father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me.' And he divided unto them his living."

This younger son is asking for his inheritance before his father is gone. He wants to get out on his own and "live it up". So the father gives out what by law falls to both the elder son and the younger son.

Luke 15:13 "And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living."

There are many people today who squander their lives like this. Burning through their money and assets, living day to day, check to check, and hey we all can run into difficulties at times. Especially these days, and with this economy. But you know, when you get too focused on the things of this world and having a good time and take your eyes and mind off the common sense and wisdom that comes from our Father, you run into problems.

Luke 15:14 "And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in the land; and he began to be in want."

It's all gone. This poor boy blew through his inheritance and then when conditions got tough and there wasn't much in the way of even food to be had. If he had utilized common sense and wisdom and stayed with his father, flesh and spiritual Father, instead of focusing on just "having a good time" he probably would not have put himself in this situation.

Luke 15:15 "And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine."

This is about as low as you can get. In this parable, there's definitely reason to believe that the father had a fair amount. This young man blew through it all and is now feeding the hogs.

Luke 15:16 "And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him."

They didn't even feed him or pay him to take care of the swine. His pay, his food came from whatever the pigs didn't eat. Often times when people hit the bottom of the barrel or the gutter, that's when they finally look up and come to some sense about themselves.

Luke 15:17 "And when he came to himself, he said, `How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!"

Again, there's reason to believe that his father isn't exactly poor. More to the point, he takes care of his servants. How much more would he have taken care of this boy, his own flesh and blood?

Luke 15:18 "I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, `Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,"

It's interesting that he acknowledges sin against his Heavenly Father first, and then against his flesh father second. That's the way it should be for all of us, even though family here in the flesh is so important. Remember too, this is a parable, so there will always be a focus on the spiritual.

Luke 15:19 "And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants

This is where it really started to hit home for me. How many of you can say that you've ever felt this way? I can. I've gone to the Father and said or felt, "I don't even deserve to have you listen, or be considered one of your children.... but I'm asking for forgiveness and I'm going to trust that you'll do just that... in Jesus' name.

So how's it going to work out?

Luke 15:20 "And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him."

I can imagine that father going out there every day and looking down that road every single day, hoping he would see his son coming down that road, and coming back home. Can you see the love our Father has for those who are completely lost? Even those who were in good standing and sinned and haven't come to repentance yet. This man in the parable still had the elder son living with him, staying faithful. He wasn't alone. But he was still out there watching, hoping for his child who was lost to return home, and be blessed.

So long as you're in the flesh on this earth, it's not too late. You may think that you're the worst sinner in the world and that what you've done is so awful and makes you so unlovable that if you were standing looking at God face to face there's no way you could look Him in the eye, and there's no way He could ever forgive you or accept you.

But guess what? He doesn't see it that way.

Luke 15:21 "And the son said unto him, `Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.' "

Exactly word for word what the boy said he was going to tell his father. What will his father do? What will your Father do?

Luke 15:22 "But the father said to his servants, `Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:"

This boy probably was a sorry looking site, rolling around in the swine pen, eating their leftovers. All he wanted from his father was, just make him a servant. I don't deserve to be called your son, but I'm in a sorry state. Just give me a job so I have food to eat.

A ring and sandals were the signs of a free man. Servants went barefoot at the time.

How sorry of a state are some people in spiritually speaking? The Pharisees saying "Oh look at Him eating with those sinners". Well, those sinners were eating with Jesus because they wanted the truth. But again, it doesn't matter how sorry of a state you're in spiritually, upon repentance, you're clean. You're free. You're not a servant to sin or the ways of the world anymore. Doesn't mean you won't sin again, but upon repentance, guess what? Clean again....free again... nothing against you marked in the Book of Life.

Luke 15:23 "And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:"
Let's all celebrate together. Why?

Luke 15:24 "For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to be merry."

Oh the compassion our Father has for those who are lost. Now we'll see and hear from the other son.
Luke 15:25 "Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing."
Again, this elder son stayed with his Father. He was working in the field, which is symbolic of the world. He was planting seeds, spiritually speaking even.
Luke 15:26 "And he called on of the servants, and asked what these things meant."
Luke 15:27 "And he said unto him, `Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.' "
Now this son should be happy with the news? Will he be?

Luke 15:28 "And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him."

Luke 15:29 "And he answering said to his father, `Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:"

This elder son has stayed faithful to His father. But he does have one problem. He took his eye off the whole point of his work in the field. He lost sight of what seed planting in the world is all about. Yes he followed his Father's law and will, and did His work, and now he's feeling left out because he never had a big party thrown for him. He never received his reward.

Ultimately your true reward comes later in heaven. Any earthly rewards are temporary, though blessings do come from our Father. But your crown is in heaven. That's when your true reward, your true inheritance comes.

Luke 15:30 "But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.' "

Maybe the son was living with harlots. But guess what? It's been forgiven. It's as if it never happened in Father's eyes. Never hold sin that's been confessed and repented to the Father over another person's head. That's like saying that you're better able to judge a person than God Himself is, and that's not a good thing to be doing. Still, this older son has been faithful and just got a little impatient and a little jealous. He will get his reward, his inheritance, his party. But we've got a lost soul returning to the Father here... that's amazing.

Luke 15:31 "And he said unto him, `Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine."

Luke 15:32 "It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.' "

All those lost souls out there are your brothers, and your sisters. They may be spiritually dead, but we were all created by one Father. It truly is an amazing thing, because as it is written in this chapter at an earlier place, there is joy in heaven when one sinner repents, when one soul returns out of repentance and love and respect to God, even the angels rejoice.

So once again, it doesn't matter what you've done or how bad you believe you are. God Himself just doesn't see it that way... IF AND ONCE you come to true repentance.

For as it is written in 2nd Peter

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

He's not willing that any should perish. Unfortunately, they will, for it is written that they will. But one even one soul is pulled from the fire, all of heaven rejoices, and GOD rushes to greet them.

Jason
Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: The Prodigal Son

PRAISE JESUS The Saving Grace Of Jesus its very powerfull AND His Love Through Death Of The Cross Is The Reason We Live The Word Tells Us He Will Forsake 99 and rush to one PRAISE JESUS There Is Many REASONS PRAISE JESUS AND GLORY TO GOD HE IS CALLED OUR LORD AND SAVIOR insightfull post jason concering The Prodigal son Enjoyed It Praise God i got a chance to read it tonite Peace be with you brother Glory