++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 02-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
theironhorse
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band

CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Musi...eut/index.html
Old 02-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
creedsister
USER INFO »
Praise The Lord
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
theironhorse
USER INFO »
The following was posted on the Passion Breeds Followers (a Scott Stapp) board by rulzo529:

Brian 'Head' Welch Leaves Korn, Citing Moral Objections To Band's Music
Guitarist plans to further explain his decision to a church congregation in Bakersfield, California, on Sunday.

Guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, a founding member of Korn, has left the band and has rededicated his life to Christianity, according to the group's management.

"Korn has parted ways with guitarist Brian 'Head' Welch, who has chosen Jesus Christ
as his savior, and will be dedicating his musical pursuits to that end," a statement from the band reads. "Korn respects Brian's wishes, and hopes he finds the happiness he's searching for."

The announcement puts to rest weeks of rumors that Welch was unhappy with Korn's direction. On February 8, he had apparently written a "letter of resignation" to the band's management. In the note, Welch detailed a long list of reasons for leaving the band, including increased moral objections to Korn's music and videos. In particular, he was upset by how he was portrayed in the clip for their cover of Cameo's "Word Up," off their recently released Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 album. In the video, Welch's face was superimposed on a dog patrolling a strip club.

Welch plans on further explaining his decision to leave Korn this coming Sunday, when he'll address the congregation at the Valley Bible Fellowship in Bakersfield, California. And on February 28 he plans to leave for Israel.

Korn formed in 1992 as the Bakersfield metal act LAPD, which featured Welch and guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer, bassist Reggie "Fieldy" Arvizu and drummer David Silveria. In 1993, vocalist Jonathan Davis joined the group, and they rechristened themselves Korn. Their self-titled 1994 debut went double platinum and was hailed as a landmark album in the burgeoning nü-metal scene. The group released six studio albums with Welch, sales of which have topped the 11-million mark in the U.S. alone. Their final album with Welch, Take a Look in the Mirror, was released in 2003.

According to Korn's management, the band is currently in the studio working on a new record, which is due in stores in September.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
wow its always fantastic when a high-profile person makes such a decision. too bad he couldn't be a positive witness inside the band i guess..........
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #5
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »
In 1998, Korn released one of their best records ever...

~Follow The Leader~

Perhaps it's just a matter of time before the band catches on???

Heaven

Old 02-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by HeavenBesideYou) In 1998, Korn released one of their best records ever...

~Follow The Leader~

Perhaps it's just a matter of time before the band catches on???

Heaven that album rocked

Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 02-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
titan9
USER INFO »
Well, I've never been a Korn fan, but it's great to hear about anyone who finds God. I say, good for him.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
goddess_bb
USER INFO »
Personally I am shocked, I am a huge Korn fan and what is it exactly that you feel makes Korn unchristian or so bad one of it's members had to leave??
Don't get me wrong I am happy that Brain Head Welch is doing what his conscience dictates but I have never understood the stance that music that isn't religious in nature is bad..would someone please explain this to me. I am very sincere and not making fun here...
Someone tries to hide himself
Down inside himself he prays
Someone swears his true love
Until the end of time
Another runs away
Separate or united
Empty or insane
And be yourself is all that you can do
All that you can do

Be Yourself~Audioslave

~Ignore me, I dare you~
Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 AM   #9
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
Quote: (Originally Posted by goddess_bb) ...I have never understood the stance that music that isn't religious in nature is bad..would someone please explain this to me. I am very sincere and not making fun here...

Sincere...did somebody call my name? hehehehehe!!!

This is a huge subject but a damn good question and I will try to help. If U want any more, feel free to ask or pm me. My post is long but it took me a while so please try to be patient lol

OK here are some opinions. Just understand that I dont share these but as a believer, I understand where they are coming from.

Christians are a little different where music and lyrics are concerned. The lyrics to some bands, take Korn for instance, can be extremely negative, and though I think Korn's lyrics are full of honest truth, and sometimes fairly theraputic, Christians do have a hard time appreciating and absorbing them.

They see words as having strong power so they try to stay away from stuff that will feed their minds and hearts with negativity, violence, (what is seen as) sexual immorality etc. Some say its the swearing but we arent just talking swearing, though its biblical that Christians arent sposed to use foul language.

I hope that helps a bit.

What sorta drives me nuts is the ignorance that is in alot of churches concerning music these days. I think music is so important and gives us a window into a world that we havent experienced, so we can see where people are coming from.

Art is sacred, and churches shouldnt be scared of it. But some christians feel that most music is part of the advancing of satans kingdom on earth so they rally against it. Take Phil from Pantera. I saw the video where those christians were in his face and stuff and I got so mad! Cos I have a heart for the guy and I sorta know where the anger with God is coming from and I would rather help him to get healing than tell him he is going to hell or something. So dumb! What they did was just making the situation worse.

Also there is another opinion that any instruments that arent in the bible are of the devil, but oh man I aint even gonna go there!!!! grrrr!

Quote: (Originally Posted by goddess_bb) Personally I am shocked, I am a huge Korn fan and what is it exactly that you feel makes Korn unchristian or so bad one of it's members had to leave??
Well I dunno what went on with Korn, cos I dont go on the road with them and stuff, but when U r trying to get right with God, its hard in an atmosphere where there is stuff that relates to your past. sometimes U just have to get outta there for a while. Like someone getting off heroin. Hanging out with a crowd that does the stuff while U r trying to get right may cause U 2 backslide or something.

When someone comes to know Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, He is then not just some God in Heaven; He is their best friend, and they take him everywhere. Understandably, perhaps Brian didnt want to have Jesus come onstage with him while his band were going through K@#%! or a song like that. Listening to it is a different thing. When U r representing the music of your band, its heaps harder to go there.

Look at these Korn lyrics:

Is there ever any wonder
Why we look to the sky
Search space
Asking why?
All alone
Where is God?
Looking down
We don't know

Some Christians would look at this and say, how dare they attack God like that! Others like myself, see it as searching. But I know one thing: Me thinks that the question was answered for Brian. Yay.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 03-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #10
goddess_bb
USER INFO »
Sincirr,
Thank you so very much for answering my questions, I didn't think anyone would. I appreciate your thoughtful and intelligent answer it has given me alot to think over.
You are the first Christian to actually give me a straight answer and not only do I appreciate that I find that I agree with most of what you said. It makes sense that under God's love that you would avoid negativity which is a good thing don't get me wrong. What bothers me is that sometimes people of a religious nature try to act like things of a negative nature never happen. I think you are right about Brian Welch I read somewhere that he said that "he loves the guys in Korn and they love him, but then something about getting over the anger or there is more than anger" Truthfully I am very happy for him because what more can we hope for in this life but alittle peace.
I have hopes that eventually religion will evolve to be more realistic. I am a huge history buff and I can attest that religion has evolved ALOT. I watched Ray last night about Ray Charles..and he was the first to combine r&b with gospel hymns and he was accused of being the devil..here was a man who was very successful and gave alot back. So why would God allow this man to have the blessings he did if he was supporting the devil??
Religion needs to understand that people who listen to heavy metal are not devil worshippers but more likely just people like me who have issues with the realities of life. All religion has ever done is judge us and tell us that it was wrong to feel the way we do. I have a relationship with God but I don't believe in any religion. ANd that is because of the people not God.
Again Thank You so much for taking the time to answer my questions it really means alot to me..
Until the end of time
Another runs away
Separate or united
Empty or insane
All that you can do

Be Yourself~Audioslave

~Ignore me, I dare you~
Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #11
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
INTELLIGENT! OH MAN! Youre WAY too kind

Seriously though, no problem at all!

I recon an excellent book for U 2 get a hold of is "Addicted to Mediocrity", by Author Francis Schaeffer. His opinion is HEAPS similar to yours and mine, and many other believers out there.

I think the typical church view of music needs to change too, heaps. And all this 'be joyful even though your life is falling apart'! What crap!

In Job, God was understandably angry with Job's friends cos instead of being his loving friends when he was suffering so bad, they accused him of doing something wrong and that God was punishing him. A big lesson to us when dealing with our friends who are going through! Anyways I am really glad we had this talk.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #12
goddess_bb
USER INFO »
Thanks Sincirr, I will check it out the book would you mind talking to me more then??
Until the end of time
Another runs away
Separate or united
Empty or insane
All that you can do

Be Yourself~Audioslave

~Ignore me, I dare you~
Old 03-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Oh yeh of course. I love to talk! Whether others like it or not is another thing, ha!!! But yeh I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Sincirr) Oh yeh of course. I love to talk! Whether others like it or not is another thing, ha!!! But yeh I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
ME 2 ~ HAAAAAAA Cant Shut Me Up
Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 AM   #15
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedsister) ME 2 ~ HAAAAAAA Cant Shut Me Up
AAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!!! Oh and I LOVE IT! HAHAHAH!!!! Bring it on, 'Bama-girl!!

ROCK HARD!!!