++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #16
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I don't like DSD all that much, but it's a lot better than RL. RL just seemed thrown together. I thought it sucked.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #17
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) DSD and RL are on an equal level, imo. Neither song is a great song, but both songs are a heckuva lot better than 99% of what's on Pop radio today.
yeah that!

Although the acoustic version of RL was better than the original, imo.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #18
titan9
USER INFO »
Agreed about that. Although I sorta liked that little solo in the original. Kinda surprising Stapp allowed a guitar solo in his first solo song.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #19
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I don't like DSD all that much, but it's a lot better than RL. RL just seemed thrown together. I thought it sucked.

So did I. lol

I just see Stapp as a male version of *insert female pop singer here*. I mean, sure, he "writes" his lyrics but anyone can do that. He plays to the same type of audience.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 PM   #20
titan9
USER INFO »
So he's a male version of Michelle Branch?

And anyone can write lyrics? Yeah, anyone CAN do that, but not that many can write competent lyrics. And I believe he's one of those that writes competent lyrics and pretty good ones(imo, anyway) at that. Sure beats the lyrics to *insert pop, r&B or rap song here*.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #21
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) So he's a male version of Michelle Branch?

And anyone can write lyrics? Yeah, anyone CAN do that, but not that many can write competent lyrics. And I believe he's one of those that writes competent lyrics and pretty good ones(imo, anyway) at that. Sure beats the lyrics to *insert pop, r&B or rap song here*.

His lyrics are nothing special Titan, you should know that. Any good lyricist, poet, songwriter will tell you that. He does not have any special amount of lyrical talent. But, by the way, a lot people would put a lot of Creed's songs INTO that "pop" category. I mean, "Can you take me higher" is not exactly the stuff of Shakespeare.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #22
titan9
USER INFO »
Yeah, but if you know the story behind "Higher", then it's not your typical pop song. You know, the typical "my girlfriend dumped me or I hate my parents" inspired pop song. Lots of Creed songs addressed social issues(do you hear any songs on pop radio by a pop artist that address suicide?) and just had more meaning than your average pop, r&b and rap song. Lots of people, who know what's behind those songs, will tell you that.

Like you've already said, lyrics are a very subjective subject. To me, Scott's a very good lyricist and his lyrical ability is "special". As I've already mentioned, I'm a lyricist and have been for over a year now. It's a release for me and it's something that I very much enjoy. Do you know who made me want to write lyrics, in the first place? Stapp did, because there are several Creed songs that, from a lyrical standpoint, I love. That made me want to write. Stapp might not be as influential as Bono(well, I know he isn't) but he's influenced me, in terms of how I write my lyrics. Just like Tremonti has influenced me to pick up a guitar and play it.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #23
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Yeah, but if you know the story behind "Higher", then it's not your typical pop song. You know, the typical "my girlfriend dumped me or I hate my parents" inspired pop song. Lots of Creed songs addressed social issues(do you hear any songs on pop radio by a pop artist that address suicide?) and just had more meaning than your average pop, r&b and rap song. Lots of people, who know what's behind those songs, will tell you that.

Like you've already said, lyrics are a very subjective subject. To me, Scott's a very good lyricist and his lyrical ability is "special". As I've already mentioned, I'm a lyricist and have been for over a year now. It's a release for me and it's something that I very much enjoy. Do you know who made me want to write lyrics, in the first place? Stapp did, because there are several Creed songs that, from a lyrical standpoint, I love. That made me want to write. Stapp might not be as influential as Bono(well, I know he isn't) but he's influenced me, in terms of how I write my lyrics. Just like Tremonti has influenced me to pick up a guitar and play it.

The story behind Higher was a dream Stapps had every night, wasn it? And that stoppped since he wrote the song.

And yeah, titan, Stapp is a very good lyricist--I love most of the Creeds lyrics-and if he was influeced by someone like Bono, (what I can see clearly in several songs-)thats why his lyrics are so good. Im a fan of both. (In true, my first favorite band of all time was U2- since I was 15.)

By the way, Higher has very influence of a U2 song (funny cause i cant remember the title now...lol)
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 08-06-2005, 12:20 PM   #24
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Yeah, but if you know the story behind "Higher", then it's not your typical pop song. You know, the typical "my girlfriend dumped me or I hate my parents" inspired pop song. Lots of Creed songs addressed social issues(do you hear any songs on pop radio by a pop artist that address suicide?) and just had more meaning than your average pop, r&b and rap song. Lots of people, who know what's behind those songs, will tell you that.

Meh. Might not be the typical pop song to those who know this "story" but do you really think them millions who made it big cared? It is an EXTREMELY catchy song, that is why it is famous.

But yeah, lyrics are extremely subjective. When I write lyrics, the first thigns I ask myself about them is "Would linkin park write something like this?" If so, they are gone. Next I ask "Would Stapp write something like this"...

Old 08-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #25
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) But yeah, lyrics are extremely subjective. When I write lyrics, the first thigns I ask myself about them is "Would linkin park write something like this?" If so, they are gone. Next I ask "Would Stapp write something like this"...

No comments!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Last edited by Ana4Stapp : 08-07-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #26
titan9
USER INFO »
Yeah, the story was pretty much what you said, Ana. I think the exact story was(and I believe it originally appeared in a Rolling Stone article) that Stapp was having the same dream for a while, about a guy chasing him. Everytime, no matter what he did in his dreams, the guy caught him and I guess killed him. Well, apparently Stapp read some book and the dreams stopped. That's the short version of the story, I think.

In response to uncertain, I don't even ask myself if another band would write the song that I am writing. It completely comes from the heart, because I don't worry about what everyone else will think about it. Just as long as I'm satisfied, that's what matters.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #27
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) But yeah, lyrics are extremely subjective. When I write lyrics, the first thigns I ask myself about them is "Would linkin park write something like this?" If so, they are gone.

That's a good measuring stick
Old 08-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #28
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Yeah, the story was pretty much what you said, Ana. I think the exact story was(and I believe it originally appeared in a Rolling Stone article) that Stapp was having the same dream for a while, about a guy chasing him. Everytime, no matter what he did in his dreams, the guy caught him and I guess killed him. Well, apparently Stapp read some book and the dreams stopped. That's the short version of the story, I think.

In response to uncertain, I don't even ask myself if another band would write the song that I am writing. It completely comes from the heart, because I don't worry about what everyone else will think about it. Just as long as I'm satisfied, that's what matters.

yeah, titan, I think you are quite right about the Higher's story and thanks for your explanation.

As for the lyrics, again you are right--cause if they come from your heart so this is the most important thing, no matter what other people think about them.

Someone worried about other's opinion only shows how unreliable about his talent he is..
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Last edited by Ana4Stapp : 08-07-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #29
creedsister
USER INFO »
i agree with ya,s
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 08-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #30
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Meh, we all worry about what others think when we write music. We don't write music so that people will hate it, we try to make it so thta people will like it. Trying to say "It just coems from the heart" is all well and good but you aren't going to sing a song to your girlfriend that goes liek this:

I love you
You are awesome
You are so cool
Wow I love you
Oh yeah
I think we
Were meant to be
don't you see
You make me want to be
What I can be

You jsut aren't. Everyone KNOWS those lyrics suck beyond words, and yet technically you coud play the "heart" card or the "opinion" card. Some things are objectively better than others, even in music. Otherwise, there would be no such thing as singing "off"-key.