++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
NeedforCreed
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Relearn Love vs OYE

I have just recently heard Relearn Love and have heard OYE some time before. I must say RL is closer to the Creed than OYE. Being a hard core Creed fan, thats what I'm looking for when I listen to each. I heard OYE yesterday and heared to turn it off. It's not that I don't like it. I keep getting the impression that Myles Kennedy is trying to imitate and not replace Scott Stapp. It seems like AB is less without Stapp than what Stapp is losing without the band. I hope that makes sense. I may end up buying both, but right now, if a Scott Stapp cd were put beside an AB cd, I would reach for the Stapp cd. Scott does need a good lead guy though.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by NeedforCreed) I have just recently heard Relearn Love and have heard OYE some time before. I must say RL is closer to the Creed than OYE. Being a hard core Creed fan, thats what I'm looking for when I listen to each. I heard OYE yesterday and heared to turn it off. It's not that I don't like it. I keep getting the impression that Myles Kennedy is trying to imitate and not replace Scott Stapp. It seems like AB is less without Stapp than what Stapp is losing without the band. I hope that makes sense. I may end up buying both, but right now, if a Scott Stapp cd were put beside an AB cd, I would reach for the Stapp cd. Scott does need a good lead guy though.

i disagree with just about everything you said;
Being a hard core Creed fan, thats what I'm looking for when I listen to each.
why would you want creed repeated? don't you like variety?

I must say RL is closer to the Creed than OYE.
again i disagree OYE is the most creed like song on that album and more creedish than relearn love. that makes sense because its the same man writing the music.

I keep getting the impression that Myles Kennedy is trying to imitate and not replace Scott Stapp.
if you are imitating aren't you replacing in a way? furthermore he is not trying to replace him because he is own man. he has sung this way since his citizen swing days in the early to mid 90's. he is also a tenor so how can he in any way, shape or form resemble stapp in the slightest? he is also technically at least a superior vocalist.

Scott does need a good lead guy though.
he does and his name is the jeff martin from the party, the guy can seriously play.

your honour i rest my case!
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 08-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Why must there be a "Relearn Love" vs. "Open Your Eyes" question anyway.

NEITHER ONE ARE CREED....they come from two different groups of Musicians...whether they were associated in the past...they are now two different entities...so, why should they be compaired to what they WERE...

They are WHAT THEY ARE NOW...Like it or not...

"Relearn Love" is all stapp...it is his passion and emotion channeled into musical form steming from the inspiration he found from seeing the film Passion Of The Christ...and relating it to himself...as he stated in an interview on how the song was written.

This is NOT CREED or a creed sound

OYE, tho it sounds somewhat "Creedy"... that was Mark and the rest of AB expressing themselves...as for what the lyrics mean, other than having personal meaning to Mark, i have no idea as they and the most of their album, for me, is painful to listen to...the rest of ODR...does not sound anything like OYE

This is still NOT CREED or a creed sound

therefore if you must compair them on separate planes with musicians/music other than their former self...that i could understand...AB to me is a early, before "Black Hole Sun" Soundgarden/Chris Cornell sound....that is something to compair them to if they must be compaired.

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 08-09-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) Why must there be a "Relearn Love" vs. "Open Your Eyes" question anyway.

NEITHER ONE ARE CREED....they come from two different groups of Musicians...whether they were associated in the past...they are now two different entities...so, why should they be compaired to what they WERE...

They are WHAT THEY ARE NOW...Like it or not...

"Relearn Love" is all stapp...it is his passion and emotion channeled into musical form steming from the inspiration he found from seeing the film Passion Of The Christ...and relating it to himself...as he stated in an interview on how the song was written.

This is NOT CREED or a creed sound

OYE, tho it sounds somewhat "Creedy"... that was Mark and the rest of AB expressing themselves...as for what the lyrics mean, other than having personal meaning to Mark, i have no idea as they and the most of their album, for me, is painful to listen to...the rest of ODR...does not sound anything like OYE

This is still NOT CREED or a creed sound

therefore if you must compair them on separate planes with musicians/music other than their former self...that i could understand...AB to me is a early, before "Black Hole Sun" Soundgarden/Chris Cornell sound....that is something to compair them to if they must be compaired.

stapp actually started on relearn love before seeing the film.........
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 08-10-2004, 01:32 AM   #5
NeedforCreed
USER INFO »
Further

Suppose I sounded a little resentful. It was not meant to be as such. I have no animosity toward Scott Stapp nor AB. I wish both the best. I just think MOP is the best cd I have heard from any band and that is what I have judged each cd Creed has made since and will judge what the remaining members record with. My mind isn't made up. I may listen to the new cd of AB and decide they surpassed Stapp, although now I admitedly lean toward Scott Stapp. Each will play out and only history will tell.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #6
The Lithium
USER INFO »
No talking, Open Your Eyes. It's soft, but has the heavy guitars... Relearn Love is soft with NO heavieness at all, gets a little boring at some parts.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 08-10-2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
Relearn Love b/c of the Passion in it. Some rock gets boring when its all hard and heavy stuff.

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101
Old 08-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Sorry, but I really think Stapp, for the first time, is missing the passion... Got a little disappointed, even if I like the song now. It's not close to be as good as Alter Bridge or Creed.

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 08-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #9
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
I'm not really sure that there should even be this argument.

But I will throw my 2 cents in anyway.

Alter Bridge certainly sounds like Creed at points. This is entirely understandable as it is 3/4 of the original band playing the music. Myles is not a Scott clone. At first listen of OYE I thought he was but he could hit high notes. After listening to the rest of the album he certainly is not a Scott clone and has many assets that Scott didn't. Don't get me wrong, I still love Scott and will support his projects but Myles adds something different, hence being called Alter Bridge and not continuing on as Creed.

As for RL, I thought it was a little dull. It's growing on me but it didn't strike me as much as OYE did at first. I think the final verdict will be determined when Scott releases his first solo album, until then Alter Bridge is playing with a stacked deck. 11 songs to 1.

OYE vs. RL
my decision goes to OYE.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
The Lithium
USER INFO »
I pretty much agree with you besides from the fact that AB sounds like Creed. There's like 3 songs on the album that does, and the rest 8 is totally different!!

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 08-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
WhatHappened
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to WhatHappened Send a message via MSN to WhatHappened
All I have to say is that Myles Kennedy is neither imitating or replacing Scott Stapp. Thee reason is because this is a totally new band and there was no previous singer to this band be fore Myles. So therefore he is not replacing Scott even if this new band has all the other guys from Creed. And for OYE and RL, I would have to say that AlterBridge is better than Scott so far, but we'll have to see when I get Scott's CD. I would have to agree with THE LITHIUM on this because it just doesn't seem so good, but I still like it I have ton say I think he could have done a little better of a job on the song though, but OYE is a great song.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #12
WhatHappened
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to WhatHappened Send a message via MSN to WhatHappened
Well I am just listening to RL again(it's been awhile since I have) and I have to say it is better than I was thinking and now I don't know which one is better. I have to say that they tie, but when the Scott Stapp CD comes out we will see if AlterBridge or Scott Stapp is better. I have AlterBridge's CD now and Broken Wings is an excellent song, it might be my favorite, but most of them are great it's hard to choose. I agree with Ann Allusion about how we shouldn't be relating these bands to Creed because this is their music now and not Creed's. We can see if their music is as good as Creed's, personally I think Creed is still the best band ever and AB is great, but Creed still has the better music.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #13
WhatHappened
USER INFO »
Sorry for all the posts, but I forgot to say that the lyrics on Relearn Love are great!!! That's one thing I love about Scott Stapp, he has great lyrics.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #14
cyndeelouwho
USER INFO »
Quote: I keep getting the impression that Myles Kennedy is trying to imitate and not replace Scott Stapp.
Myles Kennedy has his own style and a great range. His voice is not Stapps! Are you deaf? RL music sounded like elevator music.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 PM   #15
cyndeelouwho
USER INFO »
Quote: ["Relearn Love" is all stapp...it is his passion and emotion channeled into musical form steming from the inspiration he found from seeing the film Passion Of The Christ...and relating it to himself...as he stated in an interview on how the song was written.

I think Scott Stapp is confusing Love and Apathy. Relearn love,,,,you have to know what love and commitment is first. I hope he someday learns what true LOVE is, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.