++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
titan9
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: A Blackbird Review

I think you can tell that, lyrically, Myles did a lot more work on this CD. And the lyrics are much better than the stuff on ODR, in my opinion. Obviously, the lyrics aren't as good as the earlier Creed stuff, but, hey, they're definitely better than before.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #17
RMadd
USER INFO »

Overall, the album is a more sonically pleasing experience. Maybe after I've listened to it about 100 times, I'll care whether the lyrics are better than on, say, My Own Prison, but for now, I'm pretty happy. I wasn't expecting Zeppelin-esque lyrics, but they certainly did a better job than on ODR.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
titan9
USER INFO »

Exactly. I enjoy these lyrics a whole lot more.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
caseycarson
USER INFO »

I'll preface this post by saying I am a huge Creed fan. I was one of the harsher critics of ODR. I didn't didn't like ODR at all. (or Stapp's piece of shit for that matter.) I picked up a copy of Blackbird this weekend. This was everything I was looking for in ODR. It didn't have to "grow" on me the way many new cd's have to. I loved this cd from the start to the finish the first time I heard it.....I would encourage all of you to pick yourself up a copy.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

I've only listened to it twice, and a shortage of listenings can be good or bad, but my initial impressions are of dissapointment.

Apparently, for all their talk of not wanting to be constrained by Wind Up, AB still lacks the courage to really try anything new. Maybe they just don't have the talent, but that seems absurd to me. Sure, their rythym section is mediocre at best, but Tremo and Myles are superhero talents, and they are capable of more than this.

Myles' voice is, as usual, impeccable, and a joy to listen to. Tremo's riffs are great, and his solos are always worth it. But as I listened to this album I couldn't exorcise the sneaking suspicion that I have heard it all before. Everything is well done, it has just all been done before--by themselves at times, for that matter. I like the idea of a heavier album, but they seemed to have contented themselves with being heavy and forgotten that that isn't enough.

And when reading the lyrics you can tell from a mile away which ones have Myles' influence and which ones are mostly Mark. I mean, wow, Myles is good at writing lyrics and Mark just sucks, plain and simple. Props to them for some good lyrics and slops for some horrid cliche-ridden nonsense as well.

Also, Blackbird is a seriously self-indulgent song that doesn't back up its 8 minutes of length with enough substance. Make that song half the length and it works. As it is, it simply gets repetative.

Ties That Bind is a great song to start off with and gave me high hopes but it never really goes beyond that. Some of the tracks are just ignorable.

I liked listening to it, and I definitely like it more as an album than ODR (which had four worthwhile songs) but for never dipping to ODR's lows (no I will NOT open my eyes...) it also never really achieved its highs. There is nothing on here that compares particularly favorably to Metalingus or One Day Remains (the latter's pitiful lyrics notwithstanding). There is also nothing that rakes your ear drums with pain the way a few songs did on ODR.

If this had been just another album by just another band, I would have been taken aback and pleasantly surprised. As it is I guess I was just hoping for more from AB, and for how long it took them to make this album, I didn't get it.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #21
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by revisfoot)
They left out the "I am not your new messiah and I will not take you higher" line in Come to Life, though, which I REALLY wanted to hear. Kind of like a finger straight to Wind-Up.

Wow. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, it is sort of indicative of the entire album. That line would have been inarguably AWESOME, and there is no reason they shouldn't have put it on here. Take a chance, dangit.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #22
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) Overall, the album is a more sonically pleasing experience. Maybe after I've listened to it about 100 times, I'll care whether the lyrics are better than on, say, My Own Prison, but for now, I'm pretty happy. I wasn't expecting Zeppelin-esque lyrics, but they certainly did a better job than on ODR.
Hi Ryan dont even start picking on me its pms time But anyways i,ve took my own deeper listien and reviews And My OVERALL OPION i find it mind blowing the lyrics are put together perfect the hardcore sound thats in this album for those who find it to much ITS HARDCORE ALBUM AND IT KICKS ASS, i find burried alive to be one of my faves as a matter of fact an album has not gripped me this much Since APPATITE FOR DESTRUCTION as far as loving it and putting it in and not having to skip tracks It good over all It Good i give it 10 ********** i give it 10 stars ROCK ON !!!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #23
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Having listened many more times now, my opinions mostly stand, but my appreciation for Ties that Bind has grown. Terrific song.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #24
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »

I've given this cd a thorough "road" test and I love it.The lyrics offer plenty of depth and the music is damn solid. My Jeep has two twelves, two four way six by nines, a pair of four by six plates(dash mount) and it's pushed by a pair of six hundred watt amplifiers(just giving some backround of my personal listening experience). That said perhaps those who don't appreciate the songs aren't listening to them LOUD ENOUGH
Ties That Bind and Buried Alive sound f*cking vicious at the right volume

-Homer Simpson

Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »

It's now sitting at number 70 on the Billboard 200!!!!!! The Peak was number 13.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #26
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) It's now sitting at number 70 on the Billboard 200!!!!!! The Peak was number 13.

damn

-Homer Simpson

Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #27
J-Man
USER INFO »

But AB is at number 4 on the active rock charts!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 AM   #28
RMadd
USER INFO »

AMG finally reviewed the album, gave it 3.5 stars of 5. Not too shabby, considering they gave ODR a 2. And, as most other reviews have already stated, the title track is pretty much the best thing on the album.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #29
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) AMG finally reviewed the album, gave it 3.5 stars of 5. Not too shabby, considering they gave ODR a 2. And, as most other reviews have already stated, the title track is pretty much the best thing on the album.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

-Homer Simpson

Old 04-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
nagpo
USER INFO »

delete

Last edited by nagpo : 04-26-2008 at 10:22 PM.