++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 04-14-2004, 03:05 AM   #166
sdarr
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Myles is freaking amazing!

Seriously, I went out of my way to register for this forum at like 3 a.m. just to tell you guys how great of a singer myles is. I'm a singer my self and aside from Jeff Buckley and Jimmy Gnecko Myles has had a huge influence on my singing.

It is truly inconcievable that he will be with talent such as Mark. Listen to The Mayfield Four - Eden or Don't walk away. Those are more ballody, but he has some rocking stuff too. I just wanted to make it clear that at least in my oppinion how good myles is. I really don't want to be this ballsy, but although I'm a huge creed fan and have nothing but respect and love for Scott, Myles is by far technically better then him as far as range, vibratto, control etc...

Also, in case you guys didn't know Bret Hesla is a pretty good singer himself. Check out some Virgos Merlot tunes and you will be pretty surprised.

So don't doubt Myles, I've been waiting for him to sing for years, he started to get a hearing problem and possibly wouldn't ever sing again. But now I hear this.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:46 AM   #167
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
Quote: (Originally Posted by Trees of Wisdom) I'll check out Yield.
Yes, defenitly do so.

sdarr, welcome to the board, are you planning to stay? If so, hope you enjoy it here, and thanks heaps for your input, that was interesting, and even thouh I haven't heard Myles voice yet, it's good to have that positive energy coming from someone about him, I really can't wait!!
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 04-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #168
RockGoddess
USER INFO »
Quote: Myles is by far technically better then him as far as range, vibratto, control etc...

Can I get an amen?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #169
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) Can I get an amen?

amen....but with a condition!

I agree 100% that Myles is technically a better then Scott is. He has greater range, better control and the like but from what I have heard he doesn't affect me emotionally the same way that Scott does. Listen to two of their respective singles for instance One Last Breath and Eden (Turn the Page). While Myle's control, power and range do impress me greatly the emotion that Scott can communicate is just amazing.

I think as a general rule singers such as Jeff Buckley, Chris Cornell and Myles Kennedy are far greater technically but emotionally baritones such as Eddie Vedder and Scott Stapp (also Weiland) can communciate their emotions better. Layne Staley is probably also in this group BTW. Maynard James Kennan probably gets close to full marks in both categories which would probably places him as no.1 contemporay vocalist.

I am right with you in regards to Brett Hestla that man has some serious talent and its a shame that its not being used by Creed. Having him as a seconary vocalist in the studio would add a whole new layer to Creed IMO. Listen to Brother of Mine and tell me those lyrics don't move you and that his voice while a little different isn't fantastic.

RockGoddess can I get you to explain how Myles is different from a live setting compared to the studio? Also you said that Flip has come into his own? Can you elaborate?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:18 AM   #170
RockGoddess
USER INFO »
Quote: RockGoddess can I get you to explain how Myles is different from a live setting compared to the studio? Also you said that Flip has come into his own? Can you elaborate?

It would be unfair of me to make any judgements about Myles' "live performance" based upon the showcase I was at. It was a rehearsal studio, a cramped one at that, and he had terrible difficulty hearing his own voice. A couple of times he walked back and forth between speakers just trying to pick up any sound. There wasn't too much room for he, Mark, and Brian to move around. And it wasn't really a "performance", more of a run-through. We, the listeners, at times had trouble hearing him becuase the instruments in that type of space just put out a much bigger sound than his voice can compete with. Keep in mind, that it won't be that way in a recording studio, or in a concert setting with sound engineers.

What I came away with most about Myles is the way he uses his voice and the way he can change it depending on what the song requires style wise. He can make it soft and gentle and sweet, and then belt out the proverbial rock scream in the very next song.

No he isn't a baritone. And I understand where you are coming from on that. There is something to be said about a deeper voice and the way it can move you and convey emotion. Myles' voice to me is more old school, straight up rock & roll. The kind of sound I grew up with (at the risk of dating myself) I personally miss that kind of sound and am so looking forward to what this band can do.

Flip - I don't how to describe it. (I'm not a musician although I grew up in a family of musicians). His playing just seems to have matured. The sound was more bold, more creative, like he's thinking outside the box. Does that make sense? I believe that this new band has given him opportunities to expand in ways that he couldn't or didn't with Creed.

Did that help at all? LOL
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 AM   #171
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) It would be unfair of me to make any judgements about Myles' "live performance" based upon the showcase I was at. It was a rehearsal studio, a cramped one at that, and he had terrible difficulty hearing his own voice. A couple of times he walked back and forth between speakers just trying to pick up any sound. There wasn't too much room for he, Mark, and Brian to move around. And it wasn't really a "performance", more of a run-through. We, the listeners, at times had trouble hearing him becuase the instruments in that type of space just put out a much bigger sound than his voice can compete with. Keep in mind, that it won't be that way in a recording studio, or in a concert setting with sound engineers.

What I came away with most about Myles is the way he uses his voice and the way he can change it depending on what the song requires style wise. He can make it soft and gentle and sweet, and then belt out the proverbial rock scream in the very next song.

No he isn't a baritone. And I understand where you are coming from on that. There is something to be said about a deeper voice and the way it can move you and convey emotion. Myles' voice to me is more old school, straight up rock & roll. The kind of sound I grew up with (at the risk of dating myself) I personally miss that kind of sound and am so looking forward to what this band can do.

Flip - I don't how to describe it. (I'm not a musician although I grew up in a family of musicians). His playing just seems to have matured. The sound was more bold, more creative, like he's thinking outside the box. Does that make sense? I believe that this new band has given him opportunities to expand in ways that he couldn't or didn't with Creed.

Did that help at all? LOL

yeah that does help, i did want an indication of any difficulty in hitting notes such as F sharp that he hits so effortsely in "summergirl" for instance and then holds for an eternity. can we expect any of that on the record? i get what you mean about old school, more robert plant although the baritone in popular music does date back to the Lizard King at least. It sounds like Flip has just really improved his skills, rather then being inhibited by Creed, i'm estastic to hear he has gone to a new plain. without giving away too much of the record i would like to know one more thing. are the solos mostly "big" solos slash style? thanks......
Old 04-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #172
RockGoddess
USER INFO »
Oh jeez, I'm really getting in over my head here.

I did not detect any difficulty whatsoever in anything he did. (Again, other than hearing himself. He said later that he was basically guessing at the notes and had no clue whether or not he was hitting them. I didn't hear anything that was off) And Michael and I have discussed Myles' voice and his ability to hit the high notes. Myles does so effortlessly. And he's able to do it with out having to use falsetto. I believe it's what they call a counter-tenor; a tenor that can get into his upper register without going into falsetto.

Mark - Uhm, I don't know! LOL I just know that he has solos, some in the middle of a song, some at the end. As I had mentioned in the one song temporarily titled "Metalingus", Mark's playing was fucking insane. You're going to hear him play like he never played in Creed (well, I shouldn't say never, but not often). I felt with Creed, that you'd be teased with little bits here and there of what Mark could do. Now his guitar work plays a much more substantial role.

Last edited by RockGoddess : 04-14-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #173
rainfall
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by sdarr)

Seriously, I went out of my way to register for this forum at like 3 a.m. just to tell you guys how great of a singer myles is. I'm a singer my self and aside from Jeff Buckley and Jimmy Gnecko Myles has had a huge influence on my singing.

It is truly inconcievable that he will be with talent such as Mark. Listen to The Mayfield Four - Eden or Don't walk away. Those are more ballody, but he has some rocking stuff too. I just wanted to make it clear that at least in my oppinion how good myles is. I really don't want to be this ballsy, but although I'm a huge creed fan and have nothing but respect and love for Scott, Myles is by far technically better then him as far as range, vibratto, control etc...

Also, in case you guys didn't know Bret Hesla is a pretty good singer himself. Check out some Virgos Merlot tunes and you will be pretty surprised.

So don't doubt Myles, I've been waiting for him to sing for years, he started to get a hearing problem and possibly wouldn't ever sing again. But now I hear this.

Right on sdarr, you rock, but I would have to say that this is the usual reaction I hear when someone has really been able to experience Kennedy, I know he can surpass limits that have been set and blow peoples mind, and I am preparing for him to do so in this next endeavor of his musical journey.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:07 PM   #174
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) Oh jeez, I'm really getting in over my head here.

I did not detect any difficulty whatsoever in anything he did. (Again, other than hearing himself. He said later that he was basically guessing at the notes and had no clue whether or not he was hitting them. I didn't hear anything that was off) And Michael and I have discussed Myles' voice and his ability to hit the high notes. Myles does so effortlessly. And he's able to do it with out having to use falsetto. I believe it's what they call a counter-tenor; a tenor that can get into his upper register without going into falsetto.

Mark - Uhm, I don't know! LOL I just know that he has solos, some in the middle of a song, some at the end. As I had mentioned in the one song temporarily titled "Metalingus", Mark's playing was fucking insane. You're going to hear him play like he never played in Creed (well, I shouldn't say never, but not often). I felt with Creed, that you'd be teased with little bits here and there of what Mark could do. Now his guitar work plays a much more substantial role.

thanks for that, it was basically what i was looking hitting the high notes without too much effort just like on cd. falsetto can be very annoying (Hawkins from The Darkness anyone?). That voice and Mark going insane can't wait! I actually like the name Metalingus they should keep it!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:35 PM   #175
RockGoddess
USER INFO »
Quote: falsetto can be very annoying (Hawkins from The Darkness anyone

Myles is soooooooooooooo not like that! He's completely different in that regard. He can run through his entire range without ever sounding feminine. Falsetto is that feminine sound. Myles never goes there. He hits the notes without ever having to resort to falsetto.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 PM   #176
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) Myles is soooooooooooooo not like that! He's completely different in that regard. He can run through his entire range without ever sounding feminine. Falsetto is that feminine sound. Myles never goes there. He hits the notes without ever having to resort to falsetto.

you are right does anyone think its almost jeff buckley singing "summergirl"?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #177
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) Myles is soooooooooooooo not like that! He's completely different in that regard. He can run through his entire range without ever sounding feminine. Falsetto is that feminine sound. Myles never goes there. He hits the notes without ever having to resort to falsetto.

Thanks for telling us this info.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 AM   #178
sdarr
USER INFO »
Myles can deff. take Mark to new levels.

I'm really happy that their are some people familar with Myles and his amazing voice. Myles deffinetly is humble and I think this characteristic will allow Mark to really shine. I don't know why Myles and his last band didn't rocket to fame and fourtune, probably something to do with thier label, but I still feel like this whole Myles, Mark situation is too good to be true. I won't believe it untill I hear the first song. I'm sure it's very real but I've been waiting for myles to do something forever. I wonder how his hearing is doing, Somone mentioned that he was having trouble hearing himself? I'm wondering if his tenitus had something to do with that. Anyways, Does anyone have any idea of when to expect thier first song?

Oh yeah, it seems that you guys have a good taste and appreciation for good singers. I would love for you guys to check out Jimmy Gnecko. Aside from Myles, Buckley, and even Stapp. This guy is my biggest influence and I can't wait for you guys to see what he's capable of. His band name is called "Ours" Listen to anything off of Distorted Lulibies.
If you like Comercial stuff listen to "Sometimes"
If you love melodies listen to " Monster, Dizzy, Meet me in the tower (my fav)"
If you want to hear him show off and hear his Buckley influence listen to "Broken" he hits a high g# if i remember right, off of thier second album "Precious"

Thiers no inbetween with this band, you either love him or hate him. I'm interested to see what you guys think.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:12 AM   #179
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by sdarr) I'm really happy that their are some people familar with Myles and his amazing voice. Myles deffinetly is humble and I think this characteristic will allow Mark to really shine. I don't know why Myles and his last band didn't rocket to fame and fourtune, probably something to do with thier label, but I still feel like this whole Myles, Mark situation is too good to be true. I won't believe it untill I hear the first song. I'm sure it's very real but I've been waiting for myles to do something forever. I wonder how his hearing is doing, Somone mentioned that he was having trouble hearing himself? I'm wondering if his tenitus had something to do with that. Anyways, Does anyone have any idea of when to expect thier first song?

Oh yeah, it seems that you guys have a good taste and appreciation for good singers. I would love for you guys to check out Jimmy Gnecko. Aside from Myles, Buckley, and even Stapp. This guy is my biggest influence and I can't wait for you guys to see what he's capable of. His band name is called "Ours" Listen to anything off of Distorted Lulibies.
If you like Comercial stuff listen to "Sometimes"
If you love melodies listen to " Monster, Dizzy, Meet me in the tower (my fav)"
If you want to hear him show off and hear his Buckley influence listen to "Broken" he hits a high g# if i remember right, off of thier second album "Precious"

Thiers no inbetween with this band, you either love him or hate him. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

perhaps you could give us a link? I think Michael mentioned something about a single late June-early July and an album late July-early August. about not being hearing himself i believe that was a sound issue rather then a physical ailment but perhaps rockgoddess can fill us in there.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:14 AM   #180
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: he hits a high g# if i remember right, off of thier second album "Precious"

WOW, pretty cool!

I'm still trying to find some Mayfield Four stuff, so I'm not familiar with him, but I like all of the singers he's compared with, like Jeff Buckley and of course, Cornell...
Thanks for the info on the other band as well. And welcome to the board.