++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 01-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) Countries should only give what they can afford to give without hurt themselves. Sending obsurd amounts of money does not solve much. People complain that the U.S. only offered a meager 35 million to start and refuse to count the monetary value that military ads. Look sending money does not solve anything. You can sell a kidney to donate money, but its not going to value much if there is nothing to make the money work. X or King - UAE, Saudia Arabia, and Kuwait are the richest countries in the world. I understand that the U.S. makes more money, but when you factor in the amount of money it consumes, whats left over isnt as grand.

Sending money helps because the money is used to buy supplies for various projects, so i don't think there could be too much money, and as i said before we shouldn't point fingers, we should just give.

Word
Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #17
HigherGirl
USER INFO »
Teri,
I totally agree with your letter 100%..You hit the nail right on the head!!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:08 AM   #18
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by King X) This is made up but gives you an idea of what im talking about

K so Qatar makes like 5 bil a year and gives 25 mil
- they give 0.005 of their money to that place

America makes 150 trillion a year and gives 350 million
- They give 0.00002% of their money to that place
ok... if i'm not mistaken, we're talking about the government itself giving money that was (presumably) "raised" through taxation, and not about the GDP as a whole. thus, we'll use the number $1.782 trillion, as culled from the CIA World Factbook (you also might notice that the GDP for the US is not even 1/10 of what X claims it to be: it is actually just under $11 trillion).
Thus, for the US 100(350,000,000/11,000,000,000,000)=0.00318%
Qatar's actual gov't revenues, in '04, were estimated at $8.202 billion.
Thus, 100(25,000,000/8,202,000,000)=0.304%
Thus, though a disparity still exists, it is not quite so grotesque as your statistics would indicate. Get a job with CBS. I hear they've got 4 positions that just opened up in the past couple of days.
I must also point out that your calculations were incorrect, as you did not adjust the numbers (by multiplying by 100) for percentage form. F.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:15 AM   #19
Xterminator27
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) Thus, though a disparity still exists, it is not quite so grotesque as your statistics would indicate..

of course, thats why i said in the first place that i made the numbers up as im giving you as an example of what I was talking about.
and EXAMPLE, saying i made it 100% off the top of my head and didnt bother to caculate a dime.

- Id also like to point out that mulletman called me king,

STEP ONE OF WORLD DOMINATION COMPLETE

Then shut the hell up and eat your damn lemons!

BUY MY MERCHANDISE
http://www.cafepress.com/xterminator27
Old 01-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #20
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by King X) if australia makes 1/30th of americas income and can donate over 2x more money, then we know somethings not right.
additionally, Australia's per capita GDP is $29,000, as compared to $37,800 in the US. furthermore, with a GDP of $574.1 billion, Australia's overall GDP is roughly 1/20th (5%) of that of the US (as was mentioned in my pvs post, just a hair under $11 trillion).
I know you've got this incessant need and desire to hate the United States whenever possible (and even sometimes when it's not), and I respect your right to do so, so long as you get your facts straight. (is it just me who's got this feeling I need to make another Dan Rather/CBS wisecrack?)

Old 01-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #21
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by King X) of course, thats why i said in the first place that i made the numbers up as im giving you as an example of what I was talking about.
and EXAMPLE, saying i made it 100% off the top of my head and didnt bother to caculate a dime.
well i thank thee for showing all thy loyal subjects how truly honest and thorough though art.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #22
Xterminator27
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) I know you've got this incessant need and desire to hate the United States whenever possible (and even sometimes when it's not), and I respect your right to do so, so long as you get your facts straight. (is it just me who's got this feeling I need to make another Dan Rather/CBS wisecrack?)

Might have something to do with the fact that america is the key to the appocolipse and the permenant end of the human race

Then shut the hell up and eat your damn lemons!

BUY MY MERCHANDISE
http://www.cafepress.com/xterminator27
Old 01-11-2005, 04:07 AM   #23
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) additionally, Australia's per capita GDP is $29,000, as compared to $37,800 in the US. furthermore, with a GDP of $574.1 billion, Australia's overall GDP is roughly 1/20th (5%) of that of the US (as was mentioned in my pvs post, just a hair under $11 trillion).
I know you've got this incessant need and desire to hate the United States whenever possible (and even sometimes when it's not), and I respect your right to do so, so long as you get your facts straight. (is it just me who's got this feeling I need to make another Dan Rather/CBS wisecrack?)

Well you haven't destroyed his case because the U.S GDP is 20 times and yet they've given less. again this is not a competition and the u.s is obviously funding two wars at the moment but for the sake of a fair discussion. i think the u.s has given as much as can be expected. its some of the countries that i listed in the first post that i think can give more.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #24
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
does a country exist that america isnt soley monetarily responsible for?

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller
Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #25
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) Well you haven't destroyed his case because the U.S GDP is 20 times and yet they've given less. again this is not a competition and the u.s is obviously funding two wars at the moment but for the sake of a fair discussion. i think the u.s has given as much as can be expected. its some of the countries that i listed in the first post that i think can give more.
We have a medical hospital ship in the area and thats only part of a fleet thats there. Those ships cost the American tax payer 350 million in a matter of hours. But those ships, and thier crew can do things that the 350 million cannot.

Flutter - No, there is not. You'd shit yourself if you knew how much money the US gave to other coutries on a daily basis. But it has too, if payment where to cease on any of theses countries thier economy would collapse in a matter of hours and cause a domino effect in the worlds economy.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #26
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) Well you haven't destroyed his case because the U.S GDP is 20 times and yet they've given less. again this is not a competition and the u.s is obviously funding two wars at the moment but for the sake of a fair discussion. i think the u.s has given as much as can be expected. its some of the countries that i listed in the first post that i think can give more.
i hear ya.
in my intergovernmental relations class today we were discussing almost these very points. and the point about the US being involved in a couple of wars was brought up. we are providing assistance in other methods. we have no obligation to be helping (unless you consider an ethical/moral pov); and yet we've provided $350 million, not to mention assistance through air support and military personnel coming ashore to assist with distribution. so that's a little more than $350 in net worth. and just a thought/question: how much aid did Floridians receive from other nations late this summer and early fall?

Old 01-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #27
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) i hear ya.
in my intergovernmental relations class today we were discussing almost these very points. and the point about the US being involved in a couple of wars was brought up. we are providing assistance in other methods. we have no obligation to be helping (unless you consider an ethical/moral pov); and yet we've provided $350 million, not to mention assistance through air support and military personnel coming ashore to assist with distribution. so that's a little more than $350 in net worth. and just a thought/question: how much aid did Floridians receive from other nations late this summer and early fall?

fair point in your closing question but the u.s can help itself. countries like sri lanka and indonesia just don't have the means to help themselves after such an event. about what fluttergirl said flutter are you saying that if the u.s ceased to exist all countries would fall apart including all the first world countries? i think it would be devestating but the world would recover in time. the u.s has an empire of sorts but like all empires before it, it will go and will be replaced. besides there are many countries in this world where their citizens have a better standard of living than the average american.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 01-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #28
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) fair point in your closing question but the u.s can help itself.
oh, really? then why are we expected to help others so much? with a war going on & gov't spending being over-budget, using millions of dollars to help with relief at home, then be expected to give over 1/3 of a billion of dollars, and get our asses reamed for 'not giving enough'? give me a break. i know it's a nice thing to do. but hey, how much is the pvt sector here giving? i heard it was, when combined w/ gov't giving, already upwards of a billion. ahhh, yes, the evil empire is quite stingy.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #29
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) oh, really? then why are we expected to help others so much? with a war going on & gov't spending being over-budget, using millions of dollars to help with relief at home, then be expected to give over 1/3 of a billion of dollars, and get our asses reamed for 'not giving enough'? give me a break. i know it's a nice thing to do. but hey, how much is the pvt sector here giving? i heard it was, when combined w/ gov't giving, already upwards of a billion. ahhh, yes, the evil empire is quite stingy.

what occured in florida was terrible but are you honestly comparing that to the horror of the tsunamis that ravaged asia and northern africa? i never said the u.s wasen't giving enough, but i did say that the oil rich countries should give more as should israel. what you described at the start shows was has happened to the republican party IMO. its not conserative econmically under Bush and the neo conseratives.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 01-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #30
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) its not conserative econmically under Bush and the neo conseratives.
you're telling me... it's a disgrace to real conservatism
sorry aussie... i'm not saying you called the US stingy; most of my remarks are aimed at those (such as X, whom I criticized in my first post in here) who do.