++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Other Creed-Breakup-Related Articles...

Just thought I'd provide a useful service and copy some other articles floating around out there regarding the official breakup, just so people that are interested don't have to go searching around.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST UNLESS YOU ARE COPYING A *NEW* ARTICLE.

If you do copy an article, be sure to provide the URL. Thanks.
By the words of men who have no ground

Can't sleep beneath the trees of wisdom
When your axe has cut the roots that feed them
Forked tongues in bitter mouths
Can drive a man to bleed from inside out

- "What If", Creed

Last edited by velocityidp : 06-05-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Creed Calls It Quits
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14248,00.html

by David Jenison
Jun 4, 2004, 5:45 PM PT

Apparently Creed was doing a little fortune-telling when it released the track "One Last Breath."

The 2002 single is, fittingly, the band's swan song.

After eight years and three hugely successful albums, Florida's rock superstars Creed have thrown in the towel.

The band, whose My Own Prison, Human Clay and Weathered sold more than 30 million copies worldwide, released a statement Friday announcing the break-up.

"Creed was one of the most amazing journeys through music and friendship I am blessed to say I was a part of," says singer Scott Stapp. "I made memories I can never replace! I just want to thank the fans who supported us and became a part of the Creed experience. We could not have accomplished anything without you [fans]!"

Though the band didn't give specifics for the split, it appears to have been in the works for some time, as all parties involved have new projects in the works.

First up, Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti and drummer Scott Phillips are reuniting with original bassist Brian Marshall as Alter Bridge, named after a bridge in Tremonti's childhood hometown of Detroit. To handle vocals, the new group recruited former Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy, whose original band opened for Creed back in 1998.

Marshall, who departed Creed before Weathered was released in 2001, started work on the new band's songs from his home studio, and the music caught the attention of Tremonti during time off last year. Alter Bridge's debut album, One Day Remains, is due out on Wind-up Records Aug. 10, followed by a world tour.

"It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one," says Tremonti in the same statement. "We'll always be proud of the music we made with Creed, but Alter Bridge gives me the opportunity to start over with a different perspective and a more evolved direction. This band begins and ends with the love of the music."

Says Phillips, "Creed was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I'm really excited to be starting over as well. The most significant things that we are taking from the Creed experience are the lessons that we learned. We truly believe that the decisions we've made for our future are the right ones. After writing and rehearsing the new material, we are confident that we've made the right choices."

Stapp--who has dealt with some personal issues in recent years, including a nasty divorce, injuries suffered in a car crash and a lawsuit brought by fans who claimed he was so intoxicated at a concert that he was unable to sing--has been working on his own solo career.

He recorded four songs inspired by Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ (featuring Lenny Kravitz on bass) that will appear on the all-star compilation album The Passion of the Christ: Songs of Inspiration, due out Aug. 31 also on Wind-up, with the first single titled "Relearn Love."

Additionally, he is working with producer 7 Aurelius (Ashanti, 50 Cent) and has tapped Canadian rockers the Tea Party to help with his solo debut, slated for release at the end of the year.

Formed by high-school pals Stapp and Tremonti in Tallahassee in the early 1990s, the band scored four hits off its debut disc, My Own Prison: "Torn," "What's This Life For," "One" and the title cut. They followed up with the chart-topping Human Clay, featuring "Higher," "What If" and "With Arms Wide Open," which earned Stapp and Tremonti a Grammy for Best Rock Song. The band also added Billboard and American Music Awards to the trophy case.

Creed's final album, Weathered, topped the charts upon its release in 2001 and held the position for eight straight weeks, tying an all-time record shared by Eminem and 'N Sync.

In the break-up announcement, the band also announced the inevitable Creed Greatest Hits album is in the pipeline, reportedly for a fall release.

- "What If", Creed

Last edited by velocityidp : 06-04-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Creed disbands, members start other projects
By Bethany Deitemeyer, USATODAY.com
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...disbands_x.htm

NEW YORK — The band Creed has decided to call it quits after eight years together. The group has released three albums —My Own Prison, Human Clay, Weathered— selling more than 30 million worldwide.

"It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one," said MarkTremonti, Creed songwriter and guitarist.
By George Walker IV, USA TODAY

Creed songwriter and guitarist Mark Tremonti says he's formed a new band named Alter Bridge with Creed's drummer Scott Phillips, Creed's original bassist Brian Marshall and former Mayfield Four singer and songwriter Myles Kennedy.

"It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one," Tremonti said. "We'll always be proud of the music we made with Creed, but Alter Bridge gives me the opportunity to start over with a different perspective and a more evolved direction."

Creed songwriter and singer Scott Stapp hopes to release his first post-Creed recording August 31. The album will include compositions by several artists inspired by the film The Passion of the Christ. He also plans to continue work with producer 7 Aurelius and Canadian rockers The Tea Party to work on his solo debut.

"I made memories I can never replace," Stapp said. "I just want to thank the fans who supported us and became a part of the Creed experience. We could not have accomplished anything without you."

Wind-up Records plans to release Creed Greatest Hits by the end of the year.

- "What If", Creed

Old 06-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Rock Band Creed Calls It Quits After 8 Years
Fri Jun 4, 2004 08:53 PM ET
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...ryID=5 350583

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock band Creed, whose spiritually tinged music sold more than 30 million albums worldwide, has broken up after more than eight years as its members pursue new projects.
The Florida-based band, one of America's most successful rock acts in the post-grunge era of the late 1990s with such hits as "Higher" and "With Arms Wide Open," announced its dissolution in a message posted Friday on its official Web site.

Creed's songwriter-guitarist Mark Tremonti and drummer Scott Phillips will join the band's original bassist, Brian Marshall and former Mayfield Four member Myles Kennedy in a new band, Alter Bridge, which will release its debut album on Aug. 10, the group said.

"It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one," Tremonti said in the band's statement.

Co-songwriter and singer Scott Stapp will make his first post-Creed appearance with contributions to an upcoming collection of music inspired by Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ," due out Aug. 31.

Both the Alter Bridge album and "The Passion" project will be released by Creed's Wind-up Records label. Stapp also is working with Canadian rockers The Tea Party on a future solo debut.

"Creed was one of the most amazing journeys through music and friends I am blessed to say I was a part of," Stapp said. "I made memories I could never replace.

Creed's last studio album, "Weathered," opened in December 2001 at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 pop chart and has sold more than 6.2 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Founded in 1995 in Tallahassee, Florida, by Stapp and Tremonti, who had been high school buddies, Creed formed its own label and recorded its first album, "My Own Prison," for a limited run in 1997. But a remixed version of the album subsequently released by Wind-Up Records, an imprint with distribution through Sony Music, scored a major success.

The reissued album yielded a string of No. 1 singles and paved the way for the band's blockbuster sophomore album, "Human Clay," which landed at the top of the charts in the fall of 1999 and sold 10 million copies over the next two years.

The album's first single, "Higher," spent a record-breaking 17 weeks as the most played song on rock radio, and "With Arms Wide Open" became the band's first No. 1 pop single and clinched a Grammy for best rock song.

Reuters/VNU

- "What If", Creed

Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Creed Disbands To Pursue Separate Projects
(LAUNCH, 06/04/2004 3:00 PM)
http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news.asp?contentID=218431

By LAUNCH Radio Networks

Florida-based rockers Creed, one of the most commercially successful bands of the last decade, have decided to split up after eight years and three albums together. The group sold over 30 million copies worldwide of their three releases, 1997's My Own Prison, '99's Human Clay, and 2001's Weathered, and scored numerous radio hits, including "What's This Life For?", "My Sacrifice," "With Arms Wide Open," and "Torn."

Creed singer Scott Stapp is working on a solo album with members of the Canadian band the Tea Party, and will also have his first post-Creed recording available on August 31, as part of a collection of songs inspired by the film The Passion Of The Christ.

Meanwhile, Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti and drummer Scott Phillips have gotten together with original Creed bassist Brian Marshall and ex-Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy in a new outfit called Alter Bridge. Their debut album will emerge on August 10.

Tremonti commented on the end of Creed, "It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one. We'll always be proud of the music we made with Creed, but Alter Bridge gives me the opportunity to start over with a different perspective and a more evolved direction."

Scott Stapp added, "Creed was one of the most amazing journeys through music and friendship I am blessed to say I was a part of. I made memories I can never replace! I just want to thank the fans who supported us and became a part of the Creed experience. We could not have accomplished anything without you!"

A Creed greatest hits collection is due out later this year.

- "What If", Creed

Last edited by velocityidp : 06-04-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Creed Breaks Up, Scott Stapp Recruits The Tea Party
Friday June 04, 2004 @ 03:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff
http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/06/0406.cfm

Creed

After nearly 10 years together, Creed is no more. But Scott Stapp has vowed to go on, with The Tea Party standing behind him.

Stapp has gone back into the studio and is currently working on a solo album with hip-hop producer 7 Aurelius and his new backing band, The Tea Party. Yes, our Tea Party — Stapp and Jeff Martin are at last working as one. Before we see that gem, Stapp will provide a track on an album filled with songs inspired by The Passion Of The Christ, due out August 31.

While Stapp is moving forward, Creed fans are still crying over the announcement of the band’s demise. The band’s unabashedly straightforward Seattle grunge sound that critics slammed for being derivative and formulaic was exactly what certain music fans were looking for. Neither the heavy seriousness nor the Christian, spiritual content would effect their massive mainstream success and after eight years and three albums, selling more than 30 million copies worldwide, Creed became one of the biggest bands of the past decade.

Creed’s sophomore release, 1999’s Human Clay, propelled the band beyond the smattering of post-grunge disciples who faltered after their initial releases. Songs like "With Arms Wide Open" and "Higher" became radio mainstays and their third (and final) studio release Weathered debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in December 2001. Damn the critics, damn the alterna-Christian labeling and damn creative experimentation in their music. Creed was entrenched in a formula that worked, and Stapp, along with bandmates Mark Tremonti, drummer Scott Phillips and bassist Brian Marshall were on top of the world.

[rest is dumb, read online if you want]

—David Missio

- "What If", Creed

Last edited by velocityidp : 06-04-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
Shadow
USER INFO »
Creed Calls It Quits
June 04, 2004, 9:25 AM ET

Billboard

The members of Creed have confirmed that they will split after almost a decade together. The announcement comes three months after Creed songwriter/singer Scott Stapp told Billboard that his bandmates would take a break.

In a statement issued today (June 4) and posted on the band's official Web site, Stapp says, "Creed was one of the most amazing journeys through music and friendship I am blessed to say I was a part of."

Creed's last studio album, "Weathered," debuted in December 2001 at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and has more than 6.2 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. A spokesperson for the Wind-up Records act says the band's three albums have accrued worldwide sales to date in excess of 30 million units.

Going forward, Creed songwriter/guitarist Mark Tremonti will collaborate with the band's drummer Scott Phillips, original Creed bassist Brian Marshall and former Mayfield Four singer/songwriter Myles Kennedy on a new project called Alter Bridge. The band's debut album will be released Aug. 10 through Wind-Up.

"It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one," Tremonti says in the statement. "We'll always be proud of the music we made with Creed, but Alter Bridge gives me the opportunity to start over with a different perspective and a more evolved direction. This band begins and ends with the love of the music."

An Alter Bridge promotional acoustic tour of radio stations is planned for the summer. A worldwide tour will begin in late August or early September. The band has already established a Web presence at alterbridge.com.

As previously reported, Stapp will contribute material to a compilation of compositions inspired by the film "The Passion of the Christ." The set is due Aug. 31 via Wind-Up.

The singer will also continue to work with producer 7 Aurelius, best known for his work with such hip-hop heavyweights as Nelly and Ja Rule, on his solo debut. Canadian rock act the Tea Party has been tapped to work on the set. Stapp has also claimed his own Web space at scottstapp.com, which promises a full site is coming soon.

Finally, Wind-Up will release a Creed greatest hits compilation later this year.

-- Lars Brandle, London
Old 06-04-2004, 10:11 PM   #8
velocityidp
USER INFO »
Creed breaks up after three albums
Three members of spiritually inclined group to form new band
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:28 p.m. ET June 04, 2004
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5138592/

NEW YORK - The spiritually inclined band Creed, whose anthemic hits “Higher” and “With Arms Wide Open” helped them become one of the top-selling rock acts of the past decade, has called it quits.

Three former Creed members immediately announced they were forming a new band — minus singer Scott Stapp — but were quick to say it was not “just Creed with a different singer.”

Creed’s three albums sold a combined 24 million copies in the United States. While many critics dismissed them as pale Pearl Jam imitators, Creed members used that as creative fuel and laughed all the way to the bank.

Lyricist Stapp grew up with a strict religious upbringing and often explored those topics in song. At one point five of the first eight queries on the “frequently asked questions” section of the Florida-based band’s Web site dealt with Christianity, including “Is Creed a Christian band?”

The band always said no.

Stapp and guitarist Mark Tremonti were longtime friends and songwriting partners whose relationship soured in the past couple of years, as Tremonti explained in a recent interview with MTV.com.

That caused tension in the band. “There was a lot more drama,” drummer Scott Phillips told The Associated Press on Friday. “It wasn’t necessarily created by anyone in particular. It just stopped being fun.”

Stapp was not available for comment, said a spokesman for Wind-up Records.

Creed took most of last year off, and reconvened in the winter to come up with new material. “The vibe just wasn’t the same,” Phillips said.

Still, they weren’t about to casually disband such a successful unit. The band had initially figured on taking a hiatus, but a side project was working out so well they decided not to turn back, Phillips said.

The new band, Alter Bridge, features Tremonti, Phillips and former Creed bassist Brian Marshall. Singer-songwriter Myles Kennedy, formerly of the band Mayfield Four, was recruited as the fourth member. Their first album is due out in August.

Phillips described the music as edgier than Creed, with the musicians given more space to show off their chops.

“We don’t want to make it seem like it’s just Creed with a different singer,” he said.

Stapp’s first solo recording will be on a soundtrack of music inspired by the film “The Passion of the Christ.” He’s working on a solo album with the Canadian band the Tea Party.

- "What If", Creed
Old 06-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #9
Shadow
USER INFO »
Creed Calls It Quits

Written by: Brenna Boyce

TheCelebrityCafe

Creed disbands, members find new projects

After 24 million albums sold and three successful albums, contemporary rock act Creed has called it quits. The band famous for radio-friendly songs such as “Higher” and “With Arms Wide Open” had taken most of 2003 off as a much-needed hiatus from the limelight, though when members Scott Stapp, Mark Tremonti and Scott Phillips hit the studio this past winter to work on new material, they did not feel the same energy that had once permeated their music. Instead of extending their reclusion, band members announced Friday that they would go their separate ways.

Stapp will be trying his hand at solo work, with a release of a compilation of songs inspired by the film “The Passion of the Christ” and he is currently working with Canadian band Tea Party. Tremonti and Phillips have joined former Creed bassist Brian Marshall in forming the band Alter Bridge. Though many of the members of Creed have moved on to this other project, they want it made clear this Alter Bridge is not just Creed with a different singer. This new band will give them more room to experiment musically.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #10
Shadow
USER INFO »
musicNEWS: Creed Break Up, Move On To New Projects
06-04-04 Keavin

Antimusic

It has been expected for a few months but now it has become official--Creed has called it quits. The band announced their break up in a statement on Friday (June 4) and the key members are already working on the next chapter of their musical story.

Creed was one of the only modern rock bands that proved capable of competing with the boy band and teen pop of the late 90s on an equal sales footing. While often accused of mimicking the style of pioneering grunge group Pearl Jam, Creed was able to bridge that style with some elements of the nu-metal movement to create a slick sound that won over the masses to the tune of 30 million albums sold worldwide.

For their critics, to paraphrase Richard Nixon, “you won’t have Creed to kick around any more”, but you will have the group’s key players--lead guitarist Mark Tremonti and vocalist Scott Stapp--who both plan to move forward with new projects.

Below is the official statement issued by the band:

After nearly a decade together, Creed has decided to disband. During their 8 years and 3 albums together (My Own Prison, Human Clay, Weathered) Creed achieved countless Rock & Roll milestones and sold over 30 million albums worldwide. With their unprecedented success at radio and their captivating live shows, Creed became one of the most successful acts to rule the charts over the past ten years.

Creed songwriter/ guitarist Mark Tremonti has decided to join forces with Creed drummer Scott Phillips, original Creed bassist Brian Marshall and former Mayfield Four singer/ songwriter Myles Kennedy. The new band, named Alter Bridge, will release their debut album on Wind-up Records on August 10th of this year. Expect a promotional acoustic tour of radio stations later this Summer, followed by a worldwide tour to begin in late August or early September.

Creed songwriter / singer Scott Stapp has been busy in the studio writing and recording over the past several months. His first post-Creed recording will be featured on an album coming on August 31st via Wind-up Records that will pool together superstar talent, as they individually offer compositions inspired by the film The Passion of the Christ. Simultaneously to tracking his contributions to the Passion title, Stapp will continue to work with producer 7 Aurelius, and has joined forces with Canadian rockers The Tea Party to work on his solo debut.

On the dissolution of Creed, Tremonti commented, "It's kind of sad to end a chapter of your life, but it's also exciting to be starting a new one. We'll always be proud of the music we made with Creed, but Alter Bridge gives me the opportunity to start over with a different perspective and a more evolved direction. This band begins and ends with the love of the music." Phillips continues, "Creed was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I'm really excited to be starting over as well. The most significant things that we are taking from the Creed experience are the lessons that we learned. We truly believe that the decisions we've made for our future are the right ones. After writing and rehearsing the new material, we are confident that we've made the right choices."

Stapp shared, "Creed was one of the most amazing journeys through music and friendship I am blessed to say I was a part of. I made memories I can never replace! I just want to thank the fans who supported us and became a part of the Creed experience. We could not have accomplished anything without you!(fans)."

Also in 2004, Wind-up Records will be releasing a Creed Greatest Hits compilation. Details will be made available as plans for the album take shape