++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Shadow
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
New/Different Article about Break-up

Thanks to Z at PBF for finding this article.

This article should make Scott's fans a little happier then the MTV interview that Mark and Flip did.

MARK TREMONTI WON'T BLAME SCOTT STAPP FOR CREED SPLIT

New Rock News provided by LaunchDaily

Because the three other original members of the recently disbanded Creed remain together in a new band called Alter Bridge, people are wondering if the breakup was caused by frontman Scott Stapp. But guitarist Mark Tremonti -- who's still working with drummer Scott Phillips and bassist Brian Marshall -- isn't blaming Stapp entirely. Tremonti told us that Creed's split was simply a case of the musicians growing apart: "I don't want to point any fingers, but people just have different views. At the time of the breakup, me and Scott Phillips shared the same views, so we went our separate ways. But, you know, I don't want to specifically say anybody had anything to do with it. It's just me and Scott Phillips had a different outlook as to where we wanted to be."

Tremonti also told us that Creed made several attempts at recording their fourth album last year, but they didn't work out: "You know, just personal differences outweighed our progress in the band. And, you know, when we talked about doing the fourth record and got together three times, it just wasn't happening, and we realized it was gonna be way too much of an uphill battle to get this next record out."

Marshall was dismissed from Creed in August of 2000, after criticizing Pearl Jam in a Seattle radio interview.

Alter Bridge -- which also features former Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy -- will release their debut album on August 10th. The first single, which is called "Open Your Eyes," comes out this month.

Stapp is working on a solo album, and he'll also contribute music to an album inspired by the film The Passion Of The Christ. That record is due out August 31st.

A Creed greatest hits album should also be released before the end of the year.

In case anyone is interested - here's the link: The Point 105.7
Old 06-15-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
ctfan
USER INFO »
Wait, I'm all confused. First, Mark and Scott Phillips blamed pretty much the whole disbanding thing on Stapp. Even went so far as to say he didn't seem as "focused" or as "driven". But now, they've suddenly changed their minds??

I don't get it...did they go back and read the MTV interivew over again and decide just how bad they made themselves look, and thought to themselves "damn, that was a pretty crappy interview, we better do something". Or is this the way they really felt about the whole thing to begin with?

Jeez....which one is genuine, and which one isn't

Thanks for the link Shadow
Old 06-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
hockeymom97
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) Wait, I'm all confused. First, Mark and Scott Phillips blamed pretty much the whole disbanding thing on Stapp. Even went so far as to say he didn't seem as "focused" or as "driven". But now, they've suddenly changed their minds??

I don't get it...did they go back and read the MTV interivew over again and decide just how bad they made themselves look, and thought to themselves "damn, that was a pretty crappy interview, we better do something". Or is this the way they really felt about the whole thing to begin with?

Jeez....which one is genuine, and which one isn't

Thanks for the link Shadow

I don't believe that it is how bad they made themselves look. It's MTV. They hate Stapp and I am pretty sure that the wording they put in their type is their interpretation of the talk they had with Mark. Other media outlets have pretty much said the same as the above article and others have made it seem as if Mark was blaming stapp. It's the media and they will put whatever spin they want on things. Until you hear it from Marks, Scotts, Flips, Myles or Brians mouths, I personally will take things in type with a grain of salt.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) Jeez....which one is genuine, and which one isn't
I think they are both genuine. When Mark and Flip sat down with MTV, they didn't know what would and what would not get put down into black and white. Micheal said MTV was with them for over two hours - I'm sure ALOT was said. The point is, no "one" person is to blame.

I'm still waiting for some word from Scott's camp - I really thought he would come out with a statement by now. I guess he is just not ready yet.

Quote: Tremonti also told us that Creed made several attempts at recording their fourth album last year, but they didn't work out: "You know, just personal differences outweighed our progress in the band. And, you know, when we talked about doing the fourth record and got together three times, it just wasn't happening, and we realized it was gonna be way too much of an uphill battle to get this next record out."

Would any of us, as fans, really want a record that wasn't as heart felt as the others were? I know I wouldn't. I want to see Mark and Scott back together writing when it's right for them. I like to hold onto the belief that anything is possible for the future. Time and circumstances change people and their feelings. So, who knows what the distant future might hold.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
hockeymom97
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) I think they are both genuine. When Mark and Flip sat down with MTV, they didn't know what would and what would not get put down into black and white. Micheal said MTV was with them for over two hours - I'm sure ALOT was said. The point is, no "one" person is to blame.

I'm still waiting for some word from Scott's camp - I really thought he would come out with a statement by now. I guess he is just not ready yet.

Would any of us, as fans, really want a record that wasn't as heart felt as the others were? I know I wouldn't. I want to see Mark and Scott back together writing when it's right for them. I like to hold onto the belief that anything is possible for the future. Time and circumstances change people and their feelings. So, who knows what the distant future might hold.

I agree Shadow. I'm just tired of hearing how Mark and Flip abandoned (sp?) and backstabbed Scott and all the negativity regarding the press releases. I am excited to hear both AB and Scotts new stuff.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
People need to keep in mind that the MTV interview was several hours if I'm not mistaken. We've only seen/heard parts of it, not the entire thing.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 06-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #7
hockeymom97
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) People need to keep in mind that the MTV interview was several hours if I'm not mistaken. We've only seen/heard parts of it, not the entire thing.

Absolutely Steve.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #8
Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) People need to keep in mind that the MTV interview was several hours if I'm not mistaken. We've only seen/heard parts of it, not the entire thing.
Steve is sleeping on the job again

Look vvvvv
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) Micheal said MTV was with them for over two hours - I'm sure ALOT was said.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #9
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) Marshall was dismissed from Creed in August of 2000, after criticizing Pearl Jam in a Seattle radio interview.
I was driving to school one morning listening to that interview. I was really psyched to hear an interview from one of the members as Creed is hardly even ever played on the radio here. I actually thought that it was funny what he said. People seemed to take it the wrong way, as it seemed to me like he was just supporting his band.

In my opionion, what people need to ultimately realize something; it's something I have finally been able to accept. I'm as dissappointed about the breakup as much as anyone, but we need to remember, THEY ARE PEOPLE TOO. They're primary function on earth is not to give us their music. It's just one of the things they do. They have lives outside of the band. They have things they have to do. They have families. They have arguments and feelings. Just because they're in the limelight, doesn't mean that there is one primary function that they absolutely HAVE to do. Just my

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
Kim V.
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) I think they are both genuine. When Mark and Flip sat down with MTV, they didn't know what would and what would not get put down into black and white. Micheal said MTV was with them for over two hours - I'm sure ALOT was said. The point is, no "one" person is to blame.

Amen!!

If there's one thing I hope I showed you... Just Give Love To All

Next Time I See This Face, I'll Say I Choose To Live For Always....So Won't You Come Inside and Never Go Away

There's Still Time...All That Has Been Devastated Can Be Recreated.....Realize, We Pick Up The Broken Pieces Of Our Lives, Giving Ourselves to Each Other, to Rest Our Head On
Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 PM   #11
Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) I'm as dissappointed about the breakup as much as anyone, but we need to remember, THEY ARE PEOPLE TOO. They're primary function on earth is not to give us their music. It's just one of the things they do. They have lives outside of the band. They have things they have to do. They have families. They have arguments and feelings. Just because they're in the limelight, doesn't mean that there is one primary function that they absolutely HAVE to do. Just my
Colin, you are so right. They are just people, and making music is their job (a great job at that). I was thinking the exact same thing today about them.

As far as the Pearl Jam comment - I never did pay much attention to it - I still don't. It (that comment) was definitely blown way out of proportion.

I don't listen that much to the radio - I usually have a CD in, but I must say every time I put the radio on the local rock station here - Creed has been on. It took a break-up of the band to get the radio station to start playing them frequently again. I haven't heard them mention AB yet.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #12
Kim V.
USER INFO »

Darn double post!

AMEN!

Amen!!

If there's one thing I hope I showed you... Just Give Love To All

Next Time I See This Face, I'll Say I Choose To Live For Always....So Won't You Come Inside and Never Go Away

There's Still Time...All That Has Been Devastated Can Be Recreated.....Realize, We Pick Up The Broken Pieces Of Our Lives, Giving Ourselves to Each Other, to Rest Our Head On

Last edited by Kim V. : 06-15-2004 at 10:53 PM. Reason: OOPS! Double post
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 AM   #13
ctfan
USER INFO »
I understand the way the media works and all that , and I realize who has control over editing...but they had to know what MTV would do to their interview.

It just seems to me that with every interview they do, the more they distance themselves from what was said in the original...almost as if it's an "uh oh, what did we do, look at the crap we are taking for it " kinda thing. I dunno, just my opinion
Old 06-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #14
SandMan
USER INFO »
My Opinion here only:

If the split was because one member didn't seem focused, think for a second what a divorce is like? Then think for another second What being a single Father is like? Think about probably how many times his son cried for him, because he didn't want him to leave, but he had to go because it was the way he provided.

Then think about all the other things going on stalking, death threats, other businesses, bashings by crazy people. I wouldn't be focused either.

I don't know what happened, but seems like friends left one that was truly in need of support and understanding, after I saw the interview of everyone blaming Scott. He is only human and they were more than friends in my opinion they were family, and family takes the good with the bad on all occasions.

If Creed is over that is one thing..it's a band..Starting over with new ideas and sharing them is a good thing. But I don't think it should take presedence over Love for one another and the family. The human side of the issue should always come first.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:57 AM   #15
Sheila63
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) In my opionion, what people need to ultimately realize something; it's something I have finally been able to accept. I'm as dissappointed about the breakup as much as anyone, but we need to remember, THEY ARE PEOPLE TOO. They're primary function on earth is not to give us their music. It's just one of the things they do. They have lives outside of the band. They have things they have to do. They have families. They have arguments and feelings. Just because they're in the limelight, doesn't mean that there is one primary function that they absolutely HAVE to do. Just my

Very well said, Colin. I totally agree with you.

Relearn Love
Closed Thread