++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 05-27-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The real meaning of "Higher"?

I've always wondered what the song was about but I'm still convinced it's about suicide. It seems pretty obvious. I know there are stories about Scott using weird dream techniques and that's what caused this song to exist but I find that really odd. I know they always say it's up to the listener what it means, but seriously.

What do you all think it's about?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Suicide???

I think it's about going to Heaven, where the Love is. That he's sick of the lack of love on earth, but not that he wants to kill himself.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
But what about "Let's go there, let's make our escape..."? I understand that he's sick of the hate on earth.

And I swear in the background of the bridge of the song you can hear police sirens ever so slightly. Am I the only one who ever noticed this?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
no.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Kim V.
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) Suicide???

I think it's about going to Heaven, where the Love is. That he's sick of the lack of love on earth, but not that he wants to kill himself.

I'm with you on this one, Marcos....case in point, these lyrics:

Can you take me higher, to a place where blind men see (Jesus healed a blind man)
Can you take me higher, to a place with golden streets (Heaven is said to be paved with streets of gold)

All throughout the song, Scott sings of TRADING the life he lives while he's awake (life in a world full of hate and pain) for the life in his dreams (a place full of love and comfort).

If there's one thing I hope I showed you... Just Give Love To All

Next Time I See This Face, I'll Say I Choose To Live For Always....So Won't You Come Inside and Never Go Away

There's Still Time...All That Has Been Devastated Can Be Recreated.....Realize, We Pick Up The Broken Pieces Of Our Lives, Giving Ourselves to Each Other, to Rest Our Head On
Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
perfect!!!

I couldn't have said it better.

Just for the record: Jesus healed many blind men!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Kim V.
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Hellboy) But what about "Let's go there, let's make our escape..."? I understand that he's sick of the hate on earth.

And I swear in the background of the bridge of the song you can hear police sirens ever so slightly. Am I the only one who ever noticed this?
"Let's go there, let's make our escape, let's go there, let's ask can we stay?"
most likely, escaping from this world into the world in his dreams, full of comfort and peace (heaven) and asking to stay there.

Next Time I See This Face, I'll Say I Choose To Live For Always....So Won't You Come Inside and Never Go Away

There's Still Time...All That Has Been Devastated Can Be Recreated.....Realize, We Pick Up The Broken Pieces Of Our Lives, Giving Ourselves to Each Other, to Rest Our Head On
Old 05-27-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Yes. But, how is he going to do this other than taking his own life? He wants to die so that he can end the suffering.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:30 PM   #9
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
What the hell are you talking about? Heaven is not in your dreams!!! That's some crazy theology you got going on there...
Old 05-27-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
Kim V.
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) perfect!!!

I couldn't have said it better.

Just for the record: Jesus healed many blind men!

hehe, yeah I knew that!! Well, to be honest, I didn't trust myself to remember and I was a little lazy to go to my bible to be sure!
But anyway, the whole song sounds like he's singing about heaven...
Up high I feel like I'm alive for the very first time...
Said up high I'm strong enough to take these dreams and make them mine.
This is one of my very favorite Creed songs!

By the way, the thing about the sirens - nah, it just sounds like the song building, like you hear that part and feel like you're being taken higher!

Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM   #11
Kim V.
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Hellboy) Yes. But, how is he going to do this other than taking his own life? He wants to die so that he can end the suffering.

Not to start a religious debate or preach, or try to force my beliefs on anyone, because I don't like to do that, BUT....the only way I can explain it is, when you have Jesus and His spirit, you are here on this earth but always longing to be closer to Him and the Father in heaven....and if He is in your heart, you can experience His presence and feel close to heaven even while here on earth. It's the thing that keeps me going, being here on earth in all the hate and pain around me, but knowing I can be as close to Him as I choose to be, just by asking for His presence and peace to surround me. So you don't have to die to end the suffering. Sorry if I confused you; but that's my take on it, from my own experience.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #12
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Hellboy) I know they always say it's up to the listener what it means

What do you all think it's about?
And this is WHY it's up to the listener to decide what they think it's all about. And what one thinks it's about doesn't necessarily mean that's what EVERYONE'S take will be on a song.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Hellboy) What the hell are you talking about? Heaven is not in your dreams!!! That's some crazy theology you got going on there...

HER perspective, if it's not yours, there's no need to bash her beliefs.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
Echelon122
USER INFO »
I recall an interview where he said it was about lucid dreaming to help stop a recuring bad dream.

That was a long time ago, and I don't recall just when it was.

But whatever people get from it is all cool.

I thought it was about finding God. I was a church youth director at the time I found Creed LOL...

I might be a newbie here, but I've been
around a long time.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #14
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Echelon122) I recall an interview where he said it was about lucid dreaming to help stop a recuring bad dream.

That was a long time ago, and I don't recall just when it was.

But whatever people get from it is all cool.

I thought it was about finding God. I was a church youth director at the time I found Creed LOL...

i thought creed were a christian rock band to start with, thats how i got into creed. i'm sure i'm not alone here......

yes he did an interview that i did read over at www.christianmusic.com (could still be there) where he said it was about a book he was reading on lucid dreaming. he was having a recurring nightmare that occured every night and after this technique he didn't suffer from that again as far as we know.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 AM   #15
DangerousDan85
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Hellboy) And I swear in the background of the bridge of the song you can hear police sirens ever so slightly. Am I the only one who ever noticed this?

i noticed that sound too, it could be a guitar phaser sound effect or something, if it's not a siren

When dreaming I'm guided through another world
Time and time again
At sunrise I fight to stay asleep
'Cause I don't want to leave the comfort of this place
'Cause there's a hunger, a longing to escape
From the life I live when I'm awake

he's talking about his "dreams" here, no indication of suicide

Although I would like our world to change
It helps me to appreciate
Those nights and those dreams
But, my friend, I'd sacrifice all those nights
If I could make the Earth and my dreams the same
The only difference is
To let love replace all our hate

talking about how he wishes the real world was like his "dreams"

Up high I feel like I'm alive for the very first time
Up high I'm strong enough to take these dreams
And make them mine

still talking about the "dreams"

Here's part of a Spin magazine article

Creed finish with "Higher," which Stapp says is not about Christ's ascension to heaven or taking a big bong hit - it's about the power of lucid-dreaming. "You're physically asleep, but you're awake in your mind," he explains.

He read a book about Hindu monks who have perfected the technique and thought it might help him squelch a recurring nightmare: He's running down a highway, closely pursued by a man with a gun. He turns left and hides behind a pillar beneath an overpass but gets shot anyway. Stapp says that once he learned how to lucid-dream, he was able to alter the nightmare so that he turned right and escaped. After he wrote "Higher" about the experience, he never had the nightmare again.
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Alice in Chains- Nutshell