++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Altered State (NY Post article).

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/31141.htm
NY POST

ALTERED STATE

By DAN AQUILANTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 3, 2004 -- THE decision to crash Creed, a band that sold more than 30 million albums, had to be a hard one. Or perhaps not.
As former Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti told The Post from his Orlando, Fla., home, "When you break up a million- dollar band and people congratulate you, you realize you made the right choice."

Differences in work ethics, clashing egos, and a lack of focus by frontman Scott Stapp have all been blamed for the break-up.

When it went down earlier this year, Tremonti, along with bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips - all Creed alumni - knew they wanted to start a new band, without Stapp.

Tremonti said Stapp and the band had no choice. "We didn't see things eye-to-eye anymore."

With Stapp out of the picture, the trio hired Myles Kennedy as their voice, wrote new songs for the album "One Day Remains," and Alter Bridge was born.

"We're not the same struggling artists we were in the early Creed days," Tremonti says of his new outfit, "but on the road we're trying to live lean, and really earn it all again."

So on Thursday, when Tremonti brings Alter Bridge to Irving Plaza, don't look for the luxury buses outside the club. The boys are riding in cramped vans, staying at Holiday Inns, and earning respect the old-fashioned way - with the music.

What made Creed good?

At the core it's our songs. Making good songs meant a lot to us.

And you were the guy who wrote most of those Creed songs.

That's what I do. I write songs.

So what went sour?

When you're writing music in a band, it's like a marriage. You all have to agree. When you don't have that, the writing relationship becomes hard. We wanted to make music and Scott [Stapp] didn't.

Can you and Stapp ever be friends again?

We haven't talked since February. It's like an ex-wife situation. Time may make us friends again, but there'll never be a Creed reunion.

Do you put all the blame on him?

I'm not going to point a finger.

Do you blame yourself?

The only way I'd blame myself is that I'm a workaholic and I'm not satisfied if I'm not making music.Scott didn't love touring as much as the rest of the band did.

You're rich from Creed. How does that wealth affect this fledgling outfit?

The difference between touring as Creed and as Alter Bridge is we now stay at cheap hotels. We're trying to get back to basics. Alter Bridge has to stand on it's own in every way - especially financially.

How about the fans? Some of them must hate you for breaking up Creed.

We've had a positive reaction from most of the fans. Some Scott Stapp fans curse our every move, but we're after those who are in it for the music - not for the personalities.

Did you question any of the new songs for sounding a lot like Creed?

I wrote most of the music for Creed. We used these songs to bridge the gap between the two bands. It was really for the fans. We didn't want to alienate everyone. (***so the second album will be completely different???***)

If a new band asked you how to stay together, what would you say?

Everybody has to want to work. When one member is pushing hard and another member is getting lazy, there's lots of room for resentment.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
StillACreedFan
USER INFO »
Quote: I wrote most of the music for Creed.
Then why for a decade did all the band members give stapp credit for most of the songs?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
don't start it! he said music, not lyrics.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: Can you and Stapp ever be friends again?

We haven't talked since February. It's like an ex-wife situation. Time may make us friends again, but there'll never be a Creed reunion.

I would consider that to be the BEST of ALL situations. Friendship is what REALLY matters.

Quote: Do you blame yourself?

The only way I'd blame myself is that I'm a workaholic and I'm not satisfied if I'm not making music.Scott didn't love touring as much as the rest of the band did.

nothing wrong with being a workaholic and finding your music the most important thing in your life...but once Mark has a child...i bet he will have to make compromises..and will understand that touring isn't always feasable.

Quote: How about the fans? Some of them must hate you for breaking up Creed.

We've had a positive reaction from most of the fans. Some Scott Stapp fans curse our every move, but we're after those who are in it for the music - not for the personalities.

Music is personal, and i believe Mark realizes this...some will like them, some will not...no matter how much of a CREED fan people were. As for being in it only for the music, not the personalities...something to think about...it's the personalities that play a BIG part of making a band what it is...people not only get attached to the music, but to those making it...one way or another...

Quote: If a new band asked you how to stay together, what would you say?

Everybody has to want to work. When one member is pushing hard and another member is getting lazy, there's lots of room for resentment.

I would have to ask...please define "LAZY"...lazy because there is no longer an interest in the band? Or what APPEARS to be "lazy" because one is not emotionally or physically up to their best self? Want to keep a band together?...Then COMMUNICATION is what is needed...understanding of one another is what is needed...healthy work ethics stem from those things...

found this article interesting on the level that it mentioned stapp approximately 8 times...the name Creed approximately 12 times...the name Alter Bridge approximately 4 times...and Brian, Flip, and Myles were mentioned only once....

For an Alter Bridge fan who is in it, as Mark said FOR THE MUSIC, not the personalities..find it odd the talk always centers around the PAST more than the FUTURE of Alter Bridge?

all i have said is just how things hit me when i read this article...my opinions..nothing more.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
StillACreedFan
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) I would consider that to be the BEST of ALL situations. Friendship is what REALLY matters.

nothing wrong with being a workaholic and finding your music the most important thing in your life...but once Mark has a child...i bet he will have to make compromises..and will understand that touring isn't always feasable.

Music is personal, and i believe Mark realizes this...some will like them, some will not...no matter how much of a CREED fan people were. As for being in it only for the music, not the personalities...something to think about...it's the personalities that play a BIG part of making a band what it is...people not only get attached to the music, but to those making it...one way or another...

I would have to ask...please define "LAZY"...lazy because there is no longer an interest in the band? Or what APPEARS to be "lazy" because one is not emotionally or physically up to their best self? Want to keep a band together?...Then COMMUNICATION is what is needed...understanding of one another is what is needed...healthy work ethics stem from those things...

found this article interesting on the level that it mentioned stapp approximately 8 times...the name Creed approximately 12 times...the name Alter Bridge approximately 4 times...and Brian, Flip, and Myles were mentioned only once....

For an Alter Bridge fan who is in it, as Mark said FOR THE MUSIC, not the personalities..find it odd the talk always centers around the PAST more than the FUTURE of Alter Bridge?

all i have said is just how things hit me when i read this article...my opinions..nothing more.
Great points.

A main issue in the breakup seemed to be touring. Stapp wanted to spend time with his kid, Mark and Phillips wanted to spend all their time doing music.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Flip has a baby girl and yet he wants to tour.

And COMMUNICATION works both ways, as far as I understand. If someone tries to communicate but the other part doesn't, then you'll have a monologue...therefore, no communication.

And I believe the part on asking Creed questions was perfectly answered by Dogstar on the other thread, although you keep pushing the same key over and over...
Old 10-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) found this article interesting on the level that it mentioned stapp approximately 8 times...the name Creed approximately 12 times...the name Alter Bridge approximately 4 times...and Brian, Flip, and Myles were mentioned only once....

Why would anyone even take the time to go back and count how many times each was mentioned? Ann, please tell me why you bother reading in the Alterbridge forum at all?

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by TeriB19) Why would anyone even take the time to go back and count how many times each was mentioned? Ann, please tell me why you bother reading in the Alterbridge forum at all?
Amen. For someone who keeps criticizing Mark for dredging up the past over and over, you seem not to be able to move on as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #9
StillACreedFan
USER INFO »
Quote: Flip has a baby girl and yet he wants to tour.
Good for him.

Stapp is also a signle parent. I'm not sure about Flip.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #10
musiclover291
USER INFO »
Ann has a right to state her point of view as long as she is not bashing anyone and I think she did that. I think if Stapp doesn't want to tour and spend more time with Jagger and Flip has a child and still wants to tour it's a personal choice. I don't think one way is wrong and one way is right. I was glad to here that Mark and Scott's friendship can be restored in the future but for right know it is probably best that they don't speak because they both still have to heal from the entire process.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 PM   #11
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: Why would anyone even take the time to go back and count how many times each was mentioned? Ann, please tell me why you bother reading in the Alterbridge forum at all?

Why do i bother reading the AB forum?...because i can...

but on a more serious side...because they are 3/4 of a band that touched me with their music like none other...and whether i like their music in this incarnation or not doesn't mean i have no right to speak up when i feel they are being unfair in their assessments of certain situations...i've never had a problem with them as MUSICIANS and have always wished them well in their present endeavours as a band...my "counting" was done just to prove a point...

as for letting go of the past, Dogstar...not a problem, when they quit discussing it...

~peace

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-06-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by musiclover291) Ann has a right to state her point of view as long as she is not bashing anyone and I think she did that.

Nobody said she didn't have that right.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #13
musiclover291
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Nobody said she didn't have that right.

That statement was just a general statement to say cut her some slack. Nothing more.
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #14
BobbyMcGee
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by StillACreedFan) Good for him.

Stapp is also a signle parent. I'm not sure about Flip.

Flip is married and I assume has a stable home life and a loving wife. Scott unfortunately didn't have a stable home environment to raise Jagger in. I don't blame him in the least for wanting to be home with his son. In fact I admire and respect him even more for wanting to be home with his son. Unfortunately today too many parents don't want to take on that responsibility of raising their children.
________
Lincoln Y-Block V8 Engine
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by BobbyMcGee : 05-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
TremontiRx
USER INFO »
Quote: Why do i bother reading the AB forum?...because i can...

but on a more serious side...because they are 3/4 of a band that touched me with their music like none other...and whether i like their music in this incarnation or not doesn't mean i have no right to speak up when i feel they are being unfair in their assessments of certain situations...i've never had a problem with them as MUSICIANS and have always wished them well in their present endeavours as a band...

And you aren't even banned because of it! Nice how that works most of the time, huh.

Long live freedom of speech!