++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 09-26-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
Racism

Has racism ever touched your life?

Have you ever been racist and have since changed your attitude?

~~~~~I am my kid's mom.~~~~~

~~~My Diary~~~~My Photos~~~
Old 09-26-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
Altair
USER INFO »
I've been called "white trash" before by a Mexican. Interestingly, my mother is Mexican, but I take so much from my father (German/Irish), one might not notice the Mexican in me. Also, a great many times, I've felt out of place when around blacks because I feel I'm being judged since I'm not black: on the basketball courts mainly, in the inner city, at dance clubs, and around various college clubs. I guess they call it reverse discrimination when exceptions are made to acknowledge blacks for the sake of being black. It's all Greek to me because I believe we're all one person, no color, no creed, no pun intended.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 09-27-2002, 08:44 AM   #3
Siana
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Siana Send a message via Skype to Siana
I'm not a rasist and I don't judge ppl by the colour of their skin.I have friends form South America and they are nice ppl..
Old 09-28-2002, 01:20 AM   #4
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
Personally I have been touched by racism in many different ways. First let me say that I did a geneology tree as a teen and I found out some very interesting things. First on my father's side I have German and Irish in me. On my egg donor's side I have Cherokee, Apache, Blackfoot, Hispanic, English, and way back even African. I am a melting pot of races. However, I am Lily White. I am so white that I glow in the dark! LOL.

I come from a coal mining family in the mountains of West Virginia. Everyone on my mother's side were very racist. My grandmother taught us girls to hang our purses over our necks when we pass a black person for they might steal our purse otherwise. I'm serious people... the word nigger was used quite often. My father didn't seem to have an opinion either way.

I grew up in a school where you were had family members in the KKK or you were a wanna be KKK or you were labeled a nigger lover. My school was 50/50 black/white. The next town over was 90% black. The town to the other side was 90% white. Needless to say when sports events happened a lot of racial fights went on.

I had friend that where black and white. I once dated a black guy secretly. I feared what would happed if my white friends found out. That relationship didn't last long. I knew racism was wrong... I knew it in my heart.

Once I found out about my geneology tree was so racially diverse I turned my back in a way on my family. They were ignorant hypocrits in my opinion.

One day, this was after I had had my first child and was married, I was walking in the mall. A black man was coming my way. I had just cashed a check so I had quite a bit of money in my purse. Before I realized it I swung my purse around my neck. I was so horrified at myself that I sat down on a nearby bench shocked. Right then and there I prayed a prayer to God. I asked him to please take that evil spirit of racism out of me and put in me a spirit of love for all people. He did people.

I had battles to fight ahead of me. For my husband was one heck of a racist. However... I never let him get the best of me. And to this day my children don't see colors they see PEOPLE!

My ex-husband still hasn't changed. He's still a racist. I bought my daughter a black Barbie doll over the summer when she was spending the summer with her father. He took one look at that doll and literally cringed. My daughter said... "Isn't she beautiful dad?" and then she winked at me. LMBO!!! Yeah buddy she even realizes at the age of 9 that her daddy's racist ways are wrong.

~~~~~I am my kid's mom.~~~~~

~~~My Diary~~~~My Photos~~~
Old 10-01-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
CollectiveSoul
USER INFO »
used to talk racist but that part of my life is over now.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:49 PM   #6
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
i am defenitly not racist...i believe that everyone should be treated equally, and they are in my life.
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 10-02-2002, 09:52 AM   #7
Siana
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Siana Send a message via Skype to Siana
right
Old 10-08-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
i am not racists, but if you cut me off i will say something, only if i am alone.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:40 PM   #9
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Siana
I have friends form South America and they are nice ppl..

???

What´s wrong with being South-American ?????

Are you thinking all south-american is an indian or black???

Take me as an example... too bad I don´t have a scanned pic...
I´m caucasian, light brown hair, green eyes... My grand grand parents were born in Portugal (2), Spain and Italy...

If you go to the South Region of Brazil (that 3 states down there) you´ll only find blond/blondes, snow white sking, blue eyes... all of them descending from Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians...
Top model Gisele Bundchen is from there, for example...

And yes, we´re good people... except the ones from Argentina, who are really arrogant... well, not all of them, but most of them...
Old 10-08-2002, 10:43 PM   #10
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Siana, don´t get it personal! I know what you meant!
Old 10-09-2002, 01:07 PM   #11
allison
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
[BIf you go to the South Region of Brazil (that 3 states down there) you´ll only find blond/blondes, snow white sking, blue eyes... all of them descending from Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians...
[/b]

Wow, I had no idea about that! And it was only a few years ago that I learned that alot of northern Italians are blond/blue/light skinned. Shows there's alot I don't know!

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:25 PM   #12
souldancer
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
[BTake me as an example... too bad I don´t have a scanned pic...
I´m caucasian, light brown hair, green eyes... My grand grand parents were born in Portugal (2), Spain and Italy...

If you go to the South Region of Brazil (that 3 states down there) you´ll only find blond/blondes, snow white sking, blue eyes... all of them descending from Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians...
Top model Gisele Bundchen is from there, for example...

yes, we´re good people
[/b]

Right on Marcos - you, me and lots of others! All good colors in this human rainbow!

My grandparents were from the Azores, Portuguese Islands - and they were considered the 'dark ones' and were treated badly by the 'white' Euro immigrants. Funny, the island where my mother's side came from has light skinned Flemish (Belgian) roots. My brother has blue eyes, mine are green...But, WHO CARES! Sad that I didn't get to learn the language and my grandmother hated to see me working on my tan. My parents generation worked hard to assimilate, be like 'the others' - had to be accepted...Thank God times have changed - but we still need to encourage more appreciation for our differences and realize we are all ONE - like a beautiful botanical garden!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:46 PM   #13
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by allison
Wow, I had no idea about that!  And it was only a few years ago that I learned that alot of northern Italians are blond/blue/light skinned.  Shows there's alot I don't know!

yeah, their ascendents were all imigrants, Brazil opened doors to imigration at that time because there were only a few people living there...

The Southeast (Sao Paulo/Rio) region welcomed Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Japanese imigrants, while the Northeast (Bahia) got the descendts of slaves... coz the sugar farms were most on that region... that´s why the poorness of Brazil is highly concentrated there
Old 10-09-2002, 06:51 PM   #14
allison
USER INFO »
So interesting. Thanks Marcos.

*adds one more thing to her list that she wants to learn more about, and wonders when she'll ever find the time in this lifetime!*

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:51 PM   #15
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: [b]Originally posted by souldancer

My grandparents were from the Azores, Portuguese Islands

really ? cool!!! my ascendents were from Porto...
Don´t mind not speaking Portuguese, I must say it´s a really complicated language... lots of variations, sufix and different verb conjugations...

Quote: [b]Thank God times have changed - but we still need to encourage more appreciation for our differences and realize we are all ONE - like a beautiful botanical garden! </b>

True!!!