++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #46
Futanical
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Tonight Show

To some of the people questioning why he is so great on record and not live, news flash .. it's called The Studio and they can make ANYONE on planet earth sound like they have a voice and can pull off insane notes they wouldn't be able to otherwise without the technology in the studio.

Now, I am a recording arts major - One thing a vocalist should never ever ever do is write a melody they can't pull off live. There is NO WAY he pulled those songs off in the studio without some MAJOR vocal enhancement and pitch correction. You're not going to convince me he did, either. Therefore, he wrote melodies and pitches he couldn't pull off live which his own damn fault. He is baratone and screaming high notes makes him look desperate.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #47
BSC
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Futanical) To some of the people questioning why he is so great on record and not live, news flash .. it's called The Studio and they can make ANYONE on planet earth sound like they have a voice and can pull off insane notes they wouldn't be able to otherwise without the technology in the studio.

Now, I am a recording arts major - One thing a vocalist should never ever ever do is write a melody they can't pull off live. There is NO WAY he pulled those songs off in the studio without some MAJOR vocal enhancement and pitch correction. You're not going to convince me he did, either. Therefore, he wrote melodies and pitches he couldn't pull off live which his own damn fault. He is baratone and screaming high notes makes him look desperate.

With respect, do you know what you are talking about?

Why do we all act like we know everything about Stapp...?

For all we know he could have blown his voice in the studio, but nothing is ever that simple on these forums are they?

Yeah his voice has probably been auto-tuned, and so has Mark's, and every other singer's voice on records, but we act like we know every little detail.

It's ridiculous.

When Scott tells us why he can't sing very well live at the moment, in detail. I'll believe you.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #48
King Oropher
USER INFO »

Quote: What ever happened to classic My Sacrifice double fist pump? I miss that.

Lmao. Me 2.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #49
Futanical
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by BSC) With respect, do you know what you are talking about?

Why do we all act like we know everything about Stapp...?

For all we know he could have blown his voice in the studio, but nothing is ever that simple on these forums are they?

Yeah his voice has probably been auto-tuned, and so has Mark's, and every other singer's voice on records, but we act like we know every little detail.

It's ridiculous.

When Scott tells us why he can't sing very well live at the moment, in detail. I'll believe you.

Yes, I happen to know what I'm talking about. I am a recording arts major at Full Sail. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out they did some MAJOR work on his vocals, because he doesn't even sound like the same person from the studio to live. It's a sham. I like Creed, but c'mon, if you can't pull it off live, DON'T RECORD IT IN THE STUDIO and doctor it to make it sound better than it really is. To me, that's no better than Hinder, Miley Cyrus or any of the other no talent hacks making money off being tools these days.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #50
BSC
USER INFO »

What i'm trying to say is... We don't know what has happened to his voice, people just assume it's because of surgery and stuff like that. He could have blown his voice in the studio, and then had to tour for 3 months! His voice could be recovering! He could be able to play these songs live! We don't know what he could do after a few months rest.

I should we should cut Scott some slack, his biggest critics are his fans!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #51
maccamer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by BSC) What I'm trying to say is... We don't know what has happened to his voice, people just assume it's because of surgery and stuff like that. He could have blown his voice in the studio, and then had to tour for 3 months! His voice could be recovering! He could be able to play these songs live! We don't know what he could do after a few months rest.

I should we should cut Scott some slack, his biggest critics are his fans!

Agreed. He sounded fine on the Tonight Show. A little rocky on "buried in a memory". He went above the note that he hit in studio. Scott can hit all those notes. The studio just allows for many takes to get the best final product like any band does. Why is Creed and Stapp held to such a high standard? Everybody is taking shots at Scott and he did fine on their Rain and Overcome TV appearances. It was great to hear them again and I am looking forward to seeing them on the big screen!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #52
in reality
USER INFO »

Great points made in this thread about this singing live standards that only Creed have to live up to. No one else does, and I bet their fans don't mind as much as they do for Creed. The thing is, they did a respectable job on both these songs on tv and all the criticism is just not warranted.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #53
meeceek
USER INFO »

Interesting comments in this thread. Congrats to full sail person. That is an awesome school. Yes, I'm sure there was some editing on the CD. I doubt there are any CD's being produced today that are not edited. More and more, we music fans expect perfection. Sound systems give us such great detail, and we want it as pleasing as possible. It's amazing technology, too.

I'm learning to adjust my expectations now when I go to live concerts because there is no way they can live up to perfection heard on the CDs. Some can do better than others, but there is so much about a live performance that can complicate things for the performers and fans. To me, the big thrill of the live concert is seeing great performers in action, as well as some amazing stage effects. There can be some "off" moments, but overall, most are still really good entertainment events. Stapp's stage presence and commitment to fans is tops on my list. I have never seen anyone give his all like that for almost two straight hours and still be right on musically the vast majority of the time. Same for the other guys, including ERock. Were there a few off moments... yes. Was it the majority of the concert? Heck no. So, while we continue to dissect the poor guy to pieces, let's paint the whole picture.

None of us know if there is a vocal issue or not, but if there is, I wish him well as he deals with it... sure didn't make much difference to me in that concert, and I do have a good ear. I have never, ever seen a singer put his entire heart and soul into a concert like the one they did last month. So, let's look at the entire package for live performances. I've never been a fan of those 3 minute TV performances anyway. They just lack so much, especially Conan who doesn't do justice to any band on his show. He is more about his comedy stuff. I would much rather go view videos online to get a feel for a band's sound.

The Creed haters are out again, and from some surprising places, too. Something tells me the band and fans don't give a **** this time. A good CD is still a good CD, and that will be shown with the test of time. I've already converted two new fans just this week based on the new CD alone. They were then blown away to hear some of the older stuff. It also makes me wonder if some online comments are coming from people who are a little intimidated about Creed's comeback and might have something to lose from their success... not directed at comments here at this site but elsewhere. Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #54
King Oropher
USER INFO »

Quote: It also makes me wonder if some online comments are coming from people who are a little intimidated about Creed's comeback and might have something to lose from their success

You talking about Alter Bridge fans?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #55
nagpo
USER INFO »

I'd like to hear stapp actually say something about his voice. And him to be honest. Because him saying that he can sing better than ever is bs.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #56
maccamer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by nagpo) I'd like to hear stapp actually say something about his voice. And him to be honest. Because him saying that he can sing better than ever is bs.

I think Scott already talked about his "singing" as being better. He stated he "screams" less and only when he wants to. That being said, I think his "singing" has never been better. His screaming/yelling voice isn't what it used to be...almost not there at times (hence the Tonight Show Overcome performance). It is blown out, but he can still "sing" his ass off. It is probably hard transitioning into more of a singer (the way James Hetfield did) than you think.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #57
My Sacrifice
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by King Oropher) Lmao. Me 2.

Yeah, I often do a double fist pump when I pose in pictures with friends. It's just a classic way to show the influence of Scott Stapp on my musical tastes.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
meeceek
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by King Oropher) You talking about Alter Bridge fans?

No, not at all. I think this will actually help Alter Bridge, if that makes any sense. I was never much of a fan and listened before this because I like Stapp's voice better... just me. But since Creed reunited, I've actually become more of an AB fan on at least a few of their songs. I've just seen other comments around the web that make me wonder about the generalized bashing of the band... hence the comment.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #59
josha31042
USER INFO »

Look, no one is trying to cut the guy to pieces.
But if he says he sounds better than he ever did, which he has said, he is quite delusional. I love the guy more than any other vocalist alive.
But the truth is the truth. He - does- not. Not yet....maybe never again.
Or, maybe he'll surprise us all soon.

If you ask why Creed and Stapp or held to such a high standard, I have to wonder if you really put any thought behind that question.
This is CREED. Not your average, everyday rock band.

Its Creed and its Scott Stapp. Listen to how he used to sound, LIVE.
Listen to how he sounds now, LIVE.
Do the math.

I'm sure he can only improve from this point on, so all we can really do is hope and pray.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #60
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

I for one thought he sounded great in that video. The new songs he can do really well, but its the oldies that he just can't do anymore.

I don't know if anybody here is a system of a down fan, but from 1998-2004 their singer was amazing, he had short hair and a small gotee. from 2005-2006 he sounded like shit and guess what? He grew his hair out and his gotee out more. Then that band broke up and on his solo tour he went back to short hair and short gotee and he sounded amazing. So going by that I think the best way for stapp to sounded like he used to he needs to grow his hair out more, its the only logical explanation. haha.