++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 02-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
dajstyles8
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
ewEewqe

sdDewqeqwe

Last edited by dajstyles8 : 07-09-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »
Re: I have a question about Creed

IMO. the word "damned" in Overcome isn't meant as a curse... that's the official word in the album booklet but it's used in the Bible so I don't see Scott using it in the context of anger or in a way of cursing.
As far as WTLF... I don't really know why he chose to use GD, it's always been a cringe moment of the song for me. Even now since Scott has been saved and outspoken about being a Christian, I have no idea why he continues to use it because after all it's cursing God & using His name vein. The only excuse I can come up with is him adding "damned" to GD so it would convert the word into meaning that God is "damning" something... but anyway that's how I see it, I guess this is a question Scott needs to answer and explain himself.

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 02-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
dajstyles8
USER INFO »
arerarqaw

tgdsrtyesrye

Last edited by dajstyles8 : 07-09-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Agent D
USER INFO »

It's an angry song and in that moment, I guess Scott felt that lyric was appropriate at the time. And I suppose he still sings it that way in order to preserve the integrity of the song.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Here's an explanation from back in the day from Creednet.com, this was in the "Creed FAQ"

"Why do we use GD in WTLF? First of all let me say that there was never an intention of cursing God. It was strictly an emotional response to a tragic situation of losing two friends to suicide. I know some of you live by the words of never taking the Lords name in vain, and I feel in my heart that there was never that intention. Some of you will never agree with my use of that word, and I respect your convictions. I guess this is between God and me, and my heart has no conviction for the use of this word because I feel God understood my situation. If some of you could look at the bigger picture in that song and not focus on the word, you would understand that it is a cry to lost, put in a way that they could understand." -- Scott Stapp

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
nagpo
USER INFO »

^ Good answer.

But about overcome, in the official lyrics that come with the CD it is spelled "damned" which is the cuss word version. If you think about it, "Dammed" doesn't make any sense to the song. A wall? Nobody uses that term in that way in real life. They always use the cussing version.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
My Sacrifice
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight) IMO. the word "damned" in Overcome isn't meant as a curse... that's the official word in the album booklet but it's used in the Bible so I don't see Scott using it in the context of anger or in a way of cursing.
As far as WTLF... I don't really know why he chose to use GD, it's always been a cringe moment of the song for me. Even now since Scott has been saved and outspoken about being a Christian, I have no idea why he continues to use it because after all it's cursing God & using His name vein. The only excuse I can come up with is him adding "damned" to GD so it would convert the word into meaning that God is "damning" something... but anyway that's how I see it, I guess this is a question Scott needs to answer and explain himself.

Do you know when he got saved? I'm guessing it was recently .
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

I'm not sure... most likely 2008 because I remember him giving his testimony and performing at his church.

& Nagpo "Damned" isn't a curse unless you're using it in anger, much like a lot of words...that's why I believe Scott didn't use it that way. There are various definitions but here's a couple..

1 (in Christian belief) condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell : [as plural n. ] ( the damned) the spirits of the damned.

2 [ attrib. ] informal used for emphasis, esp. to express anger or frustration : it's none of your damned business | [as submodifier ] she's too damned arrogant.
• ( damnedest) used to emphasize the surprising nature of something : the damnedest thing I ever saw.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Creedture
USER INFO »

"I'll be damned, fighting you - you're impossible"

I take him to mean the lengths he'll go to, in order to "Overcome", would be "damnable"(??) ie; extreme, unholy, God wouldn't approve, etc..

At the end of the day, it gives them more validity as a "Christian" group, if we must label them; we're all real people, striving for a deeper relationship and understanding of God - and we sin, a lot.. a whole lot.. they aren't trying to act holier than thou.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
scalthom
USER INFO »

correct me if I am wrong, but back in the day I remember stapp saying that one of his friends wrote about settling a "god damn score" in his suicide note. hence the lyric. it could be rumor and it's been so long.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by scalthom) correct me if I am wrong, but back in the day I remember stapp saying that one of his friends wrote about settling a "god damn score" in his suicide note. hence the lyric. it could be rumor and it's been so long.

That's what I remember too.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Guys It Was The First Creed Record MOP Stapp Meets The Outside Of Modern Day Christian Life Why That Verse Is No More Upsetting To Skeptics And Closed Minds THAN UNFORGIVEN TO THIS WORLD main stream christian folk that have not been in trial by fire just dont get ya,alls and seems Sac RELEGION To Theme This Was The Record Of Youth FORGIVE Me Oh Lord For The Transgression Of My Youth In those Times Stapps Voice Was A Message For Those Lost To A WAR And A Conflict Is Old As Time new fans and so forth discovering creed has to understand that PEACE AND JOY BE WIT YA,all,s ROCK ON