++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #76
Finaldecision
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Mark's singing

Stapps' style of singing is different from the style of Myles. I think Myles has more range, this is true. Myles streaches his voice more with very high notes, but Stapp stretches his voice more with a kind of screaming (What If, Freedom Fighter, Reach Out; I think you know what I mean). It's a taste question which voice you like more, because they both have voices, that can easily be recongnized, but if anyone says that Stapp has nothing special with his voice, that I just can't agree!
To speak about the liveperformances. It's true that Stapp doesnt always reach every note that perfect or that he sings always perfect. Listen to live at Olympics Salt Lake City. I think there his voice is not very good. But it's different. When I listen to Torn live from Greatest Hits DVD, then I think it's just awesome!! Myles hits some very high and difficult notes live. Yeah, sometimes he gets little problems, but he sounds quite good yet.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #77
Agent D
USER INFO »

The difference between Stapp and Myles can be put very simply. Stapp has a 1990s grunge-style voice. Myles has a 1970s-style voice.

Now quit arguing.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #78
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) The difference between Stapp and Myles can be put very simply. Stapp has a 1990s grunge-style voice. Myles has a 1970s-style voice.

Now quit arguing.

I'll agree with that.
Matthew 11:30
His yoke is easy and his burden is light
Old 03-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #79
J-Man
USER INFO »

Adparaiki your post is quite laughable too and on many levels, but why go there? Anyhow, eusebioCBR said it best, it was wind-ups idea. The AB guys don't use the Creed name. Creed died and AB was born.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #80
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

I'll second J-man and Agent D on their last posts...

Someone said that Myles uses more effects on his mike... You must be kidding me... His voice doesn't sound that different from the CD, and neither does Stapp. And one thing I have to give Stapp is him not using sinback since he hits the wrong notes sometimes that gives him a bit of more credit on stage. Shure Myles might have hit the wrong note once or twice... But come on, not as often as Stapp.

The reson I took up the guitar playing was that it shows Myles is a better muscian. And NO! You can not compare Mark and Myles guitarplaying just as you can't compare Marks and Myles singing. Myles is formoste a singer and second a guitarplayer and vice versa for Mark. You have to compare other singers who plays or doesn't play guitar.

Should we stop it here? Looks like EVERY thread is turning into a Stapp vs. Myles...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #81
Justify
USER INFO »

This has really gotten to be a stupid discussion. Some people are going to like Stapp's voice better and some are going to like Myles' voice better. There will be no convincing those that prefer Stapp over Myles that Myles is better or vice versa. The freaking discussion has gotten nowhere. I haven't read one post where someone has actually had their mind changed. They both have centain types of music that thier voices sound better singing. Do you think Myles could sing a Creed song? Maybe so but it would suck because those songs were written for Stapps voice. I can't imagine Faceless Man being sung by Myles. He doesn't have the voice for it. They just have different voices. Here's what it boils down to. Those of you who think Myles has a better voice like AB over Scott Stapp and vice versa. So this basically comes down to another discussion of AB vs. Scott Stapp. And these discussions never get anywhere.
Matthew 11:30
His yoke is easy and his burden is light
Old 03-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #82
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

Well, one desciussion about this actually got somewhere, people who liked Stapp admitted that Myles was the better singer, but they still like Stapp better, and that's okey... But I think we realy need to stop this hostility towards echother.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #83
Agent D
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RoffeDH) Should we stop it here? Looks like EVERY thread is turning into a Stapp vs. Myles...

That's how things tend to go around here now.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #84
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Hey, when I'm being taken down by Uncertain, I like to take someone down with me if possible.

Hehehehe <---evil chuckle. lol

Quote: Amen, bro. That's pretty much what I meant. There is no denying that Myles and Cornell are better singers technically because of their range. Stapp doesn't have that huge range. But he has a certain smoothness(or tone, if you will) to his vocals that I like. What he lacks in range, as far as I'm concerned, he makes up for in passion and smoothness. He might not be able to hit high notes, but when he sticks to a key with which he is comfortable(and good at) he sounds really good, imo. Maybe not to you, Uncertain, but to people who actually appreciate baritones even when they can't hit huge notes, Stapp sounds pretty good(or at least the MOP/HC era Stapp did...but even his new stuff on tour is good).

Care to show me another "good" throaty grungy baritone rock singer? And if you say Eddie Vedder, you forfeit the argument.

And I appreciate baritones. I'm a baritone. Actually I am probably somewhere in between baritone and bass but closer to baritone definitely. Anyway, I just don't appreciate generic, non-unique radio rock singers who all sound alike, Stapp being include in that group.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #85
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Care to show me another "good" throaty grungy baritone rock singer? And if you say Eddie Vedder, you forfeit the argument.

Never in a million years would I say Vedder. Never been a big fan of his vocals myself(I can't understand much of what he sings, lol). As for "good" baritones, Paul McCoy(I know you are familiar with his work) of 12 Stones is decent. Not great, but decent. Uh, there's also Brent Smith of Shinedown. He's a baritone who is capable of hitting the high notes(kinda similiar to Brett Hestla, except, imo, better). I could name more obscure guys, but it'd be pointless because you probably wouldn't know who they are.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) And I appreciate baritones. I'm a baritone. Actually I am probably somewhere in between baritone and bass but closer to baritone definitely. Anyway, I just don't appreciate generic, non-unique radio rock singers who all sound alike, Stapp being include in that group.

I'm a baritone myself.....and I think Stapp is a lot more unique than most of the rock radio singers today. Even if I weren't a Creed fan, after hearing 5 seconds of a Creed or Stapp song, I'd know who was singing it. However, if I heard a Nickelback or Staind or Hoobastank or *insert cruddy rock band here* song, I wouldn't know who the heck it was. Those singers aren't unique. Stapp, imo, is. The only guy you can even compare him to(and it's really a stupid comparison) is Eddie Vedder.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!

Last edited by titan9 : 03-13-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:34 AM   #86
RoffeDH
USER INFO »

Hmmm... Looks like we've gotten a bit more friendly... :P
Old 03-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #87
Agent D
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) I'm a baritone myself.....and I think Stapp is a lot more unique than most of the rock radio singers today. Even if I weren't a Creed fan, after hearing 5 seconds of a Creed or Stapp song, I'd know who was singing it. However, if I heard a Nickelback or Staind or Hoobastank or *insert cruddy rock band here* song, I wouldn't know who the heck it was. Those singers aren't unique. Stapp, imo, is. The only guy you can even compare him to(and it's really a stupid comparison) is Eddie Vedder.

I agree with almost everything you said except about Staind. You seriously think Aaron Lewis doesn't have a distinctive voice? That's insane.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #88
Finaldecision
USER INFO »

Aaron Lewis has a great voice!!

I think also Chad Kroeger has a voice you can recognize. A voice that I think is ok, maybe good, but nothing incredible to me is the voice from Brad Arnold.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #89
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) I agree with almost everything you said except about Staind. You seriously think Aaron Lewis doesn't have a distinctive voice? That's insane.

In my defense, I used those examples rather loosely. Looking back, I see I made a mistake in listing Lewis there. He does have distinctive voice(but I'm not a fan of his). Shaun Morgan(Seether) would probably be better served in Lewis' place on my list of non-distinctive, boring "rock" singers. Never have I heard such a blatant Kurt Cobain ripoff(and I'm not even a Nirvana fan!)

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #90
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Never in a million years would I say Vedder. Never been a big fan of his vocals myself(I can't understand much of what he sings, lol). As for "good" baritones, Paul McCoy(I know you are familiar with his work) of 12 Stones is decent. Not great, but decent. Uh, there's also Brent Smith of Shinedown. He's a baritone who is capable of hitting the high notes(kinda similiar to Brett Hestla, except, imo, better). I could name more obscure guys, but it'd be pointless because you probably wouldn't know who they are.

Meh, I figured you would mention those guys. Nothing really particularly special about any of them.

Quote: I'm a baritone myself.....and I think Stapp is a lot more unique than most of the rock radio singers today. Even if I weren't a Creed fan, after hearing 5 seconds of a Creed or Stapp song, I'd know who was singing it. However, if I heard a Nickelback or Staind or Hoobastank or *insert cruddy rock band here* song, I wouldn't know who the heck it was. Those singers aren't unique. Stapp, imo, is. The only guy you can even compare him to(and it's really a stupid comparison) is Eddie Vedder.

I actually was listening to the radio the other day (shocking, I know) and a song came on and it sounded exactly like Stapp singing it and I was confused. I was like "Did I totally miss a song off his album?". Turns out the song was by 3 Doors Down. Stapp sounds like everyone else. Of course YOU can differentiate him... you listen to his songs all the time for a long time. I can pick him out. I have listened to his songs often. But he still sounds very generic.