++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 01-25-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Faith, God, & Rock 'N' Roll

Has anyone heard or read this book? I just heard about it from a P.O.D. e-mail and I did some searching on Amazon. Here's what they had to say...

"Faith, God, & Rock 'N' Roll" by: Mark Joseph, Dave Mustaine

Synopsis:
MTV and chart success for singing and praising the love of God? "Only in America" you might say, but the most powerful country in the world has become insular in its world-view and its music reflects what the nation is thinking. Featuring interviews and profiles from acts such as Sixpence None The Richer, Lenny Kravitz, Creed, U2 and Coldplay, "Faith, God and Rock'n'Roll" charts what's going on with God Stateside. Following on from his highly successful first book "The Rock'n'Roll Rebellion", which discussed why people of faith were coming back into the music industry in the 1990s, Mark Joseph now updates the scene on religion and rock in America.

Book Description:
God rocks! At least for an ever-increasing number of the global population. With the present unstable and the future uncertain, fans are reassessing their lives. One area in which this reassessment is manifesting itself is popular music. Faith-based rock no longer need be associated with evangelical "happy clappers" with their rattling tambourines and hellfire imagery. A more sophisticated version of religion now permeates the airwaves and dance clubs. This book explores that growing trend in detail through a history of the movement and interviews with some of its most prominent purveyors, from U2 to Lenny Kravitz to Cold Play. Included is information on which bands with "God on their side" have reached the Top 10, as well as photographs, and profiles of 60 artists whose work is fueled by religion or spirituality such as Bono, Donna Summer, and Bob Dylan.

P.S. Sound like some good stuff so I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up!!!
Here's a link to Amazon about the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 01-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Didn't Kiss make a song "God gave rock n' roll to you" or something like that?

Anyway, I don't understand what's the deal with rock. Other music genres areworse than rock, in terms of message. If the rock song has a good message, why not? But when most Christian people think of rock, they think about metal (Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse, In Flames stuff) and Marylin Manson...

But if you listen to funk music/rap/hip-hop, the content is not that different: one curses God, the other tells people to do everything opposite to what God recommended.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by benkenobi) Has anyone heard or read this book? I just heard about it from a P.O.D. e-mail and I did some searching on Amazon. Here's what they had to say...

"Faith, God, & Rock 'N' Roll" by: Mark Joseph, Dave Mustaine

Synopsis:
MTV and chart success for singing and praising the love of God? "Only in America" you might say, but the most powerful country in the world has become insular in its world-view and its music reflects what the nation is thinking. Featuring interviews and profiles from acts such as Sixpence None The Richer, Lenny Kravitz, Creed, U2 and Coldplay, "Faith, God and Rock'n'Roll" charts what's going on with God Stateside. Following on from his highly successful first book "The Rock'n'Roll Rebellion", which discussed why people of faith were coming back into the music industry in the 1990s, Mark Joseph now updates the scene on religion and rock in America.

Book Description:
God rocks! At least for an ever-increasing number of the global population. With the present unstable and the future uncertain, fans are reassessing their lives. One area in which this reassessment is manifesting itself is popular music. Faith-based rock no longer need be associated with evangelical "happy clappers" with their rattling tambourines and hellfire imagery. A more sophisticated version of religion now permeates the airwaves and dance clubs. This book explores that growing trend in detail through a history of the movement and interviews with some of its most prominent purveyors, from U2 to Lenny Kravitz to Cold Play. Included is information on which bands with "God on their side" have reached the Top 10, as well as photographs, and profiles of 60 artists whose work is fueled by religion or spirituality such as Bono, Donna Summer, and Bob Dylan.

P.S. Sound like some good stuff so I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up!!!
Here's a link to Amazon about the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Ha yes i know all about~~yes music is gods gods greatest gift and it is the universal lauguage~~And i could start a rambling here oh boy could i but im not~~Thank you for posting this I loved it~~And may the force be with you~~~~LOL haha
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #4
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed) Didn't Kiss make a song "God gave rock n' roll to you" or something like that?

Anyway, I don't understand what's the deal with rock. Other music genres areworse than rock, in terms of message. If the rock song has a good message, why not? But when most Christian people think of rock, they think about metal (Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse, In Flames stuff) and Marylin Manson...

But if you listen to funk music/rap/hip-hop, the content is not that different: one curses God, the other tells people to do everything opposite to what God recommended.
God Gave Rock n' Roll To You was originally by a Christian band called Petra.

There was a big hoo-haaar especially in the US about heavy metal being satanic in a big way. Including the whole backward masking caper where U would hear satanic messages in the music. This ludicracy has been going on since the birth of rock n' roll in like the 50's. There's sites still dedicated to this stuff. It's sad!

Did they say that the book was co-written by Dave Mustaine, the guy from Megadeth?

I've seen the other book they mentioned. I also have Hungry for Heaven and Spiritual Journeys, that cover the same stuff. Spiritual Journeys is pretty clear that Creed have spiritual overtones but arent a Christian band. Her info is pretty acurate, but I don't know about this new one.

I like to know the spiritual stories behind what I'm listening to. U can pick it up when U are listening to it, but quotes etc by the bands make it crystal clear.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
creedsister
USER INFO »
yes it was co written with dave mustane sincirr]] i remember those days when preachers in crap said there were hidden messages in metal lyrics]]God they sucked}}im 27 years old and i stll here this crap all the time people are so fricking blind the spirt of my lord is insid me and around me all the time And yes i still were my slayer shirts and megadeath shirts and i jam The crues Shout out the devil Louder now thin i did back then}}Society Sucks~~
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
I backward masked balls to the wall and heard lucifer in it twice. I'm serious! I dunno if they meant to put it there for publicity or whatever but, lol it was there!!!! hehe!

Cool. I heard that Dave Mustaine became a Christian in rehab or something. I wouldnt mind gettin my hands on that book, hehe.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Sincirr) I backward masked balls to the wall and heard lucifer in it twice. I'm serious! I dunno if they meant to put it there for publicity or whatever but, lol it was there!!!! hehe!

Cool. I heard that Dave Mustaine became a Christian in rehab or something. I wouldnt mind gettin my hands on that book, hehe.
its worth checking out``i never really ever tryed to backwards anything i keep moving foward LOL]] yes thats true about Dave~~Rock on !!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Many metal bands have satanic references, you can't deny that. Just look at the cover of most of them.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:54 PM   #9
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed) Many metal bands have satanic references, you can't deny that. Just look at the cover of most of them.

Just about any reference seems to be able to be turned into a satanic one. Ohhhh, Master of Puppets, that's about addiction... a tool of the DEVIL!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
creedsister
USER INFO »
oh boy i Got fix this thread}}GOD GAVE ROCK N ROLL TO YOU GAVE ROCK N ROLL TO YOU PUT IN THE SOUL OF EVERY ONE}}}I WANNA ROCK}} ITS ONLY ROCK ROLL BUT I LIKE IT}}SO COME ON BABY ROCK N ROLL NEVER FOREGETS]]I LOVE ROCK N ROLL SO PUT ANOTHER DIME IN THE J<BOX BABY>>HEY ITS ONLY ROCK N ROLL BUT I LIKE IT]]HEY KIDS ROCK N ROLL ROCK ON}}
Old 01-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #11
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Has anyone actually read this book? I think it's fairly new.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM   #12
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by benkenobi) Has anyone actually read this book? I think it's fairly new.
YES I HAVE WHY?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:59 AM   #13
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed) Many metal bands have satanic references, you can't deny that. Just look at the cover of most of them.
I dont deny that at all. I know what U mean, but sometimes the music just sounds good and just cos U R christian, doesnt mean that your taste goes out the window.

I also think that some music that most Christians think is purely satanic, can be used as a powerful outreach tool. Creedsister still wears her Slayer shirts proudly, and I bet that that opens the door for many encounters with young folks, or anyone that likes that music, to talk to her. She can then minister God's love to them. Whats in her is bigger than whats in the world.

I personally cant listen to slayer anymore (please dont get mad, Creedsister), and I had many of their albums, even worn their shirts, but due to the types of people I minister to I cant even have their stuff in my house.

Creedsister's ministry is different to mine though and she can. Perhaps some Christians would find that unwise, but God is using her and making an impact!

Another Chrisitan friend of mine can listen to Morbid Angel, but his wife cant tollerate it in the house. God has given him the ability to listen to stuff like that cos he works amongst other musos that listen to it.

Bottom line, it's God's call as far as I'm concerned.

There are some bands that are using symbols of all sorts and they have no idea of the power behind them. This also happens in the influences to the song lyrics. I love metal, but I dont deny it, and other music as being a strong tool for spiritual connection, good and bad. If U do U r mad I recon!

Black Sabbath were NOT a satanic band, though they would use the imagery etc in their lyrics. Satanists would wait around at their hotel room doors, but the guys from Black Sabbath would get there and go "WTF??". They were just song writers! Some listeners took it seriously though.

Quote: (Originally Posted by bgivens33) Just about any reference seems to be able to be turned into a satanic one. Ohhhh, Master of Puppets, that's about addiction... a tool of the DEVIL!!!

The song has the line, "...Dedicated to how I'm killing you", so they werent going, YEEEEAHH!!! DRUGS ROCK!!! GIMME MORE!!!!!"

Metallica did not write this song cos they believe that drugs are a tool of the devil, but those who know his tricks can attest to the truth behind their lyrics. Period.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
creedsister
USER INFO »
sincirr Im not mad by the way]] but to get to the point music is an instument that can reach inside people souls when nothing else can today i think that instrument has growed in a lot of bands]] as you can tell but there is darkerside of music thats down right straight from hell i will agree but not like most bands who our known for it such as blacksab..And others i will say mansions antichrist superstar i got bad vibes off the first time i held his cd in my hand no supprise there when i found out were it was recored at]]thank you sincirr God does call us to his works in many diffrent ways there is people that you could reach by talking to that i could not]] ROCK ON!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #15
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Thanks chickadee
U rock my world!

I was waitin 4 U 2 git online! I was boored!

ROCK HARD!!!