++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-10-2004, 01:28 AM   #31
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji_2) Its not that I don't support AB.....I just don't like their music. When they actually record something I like....I'll buy it.
Well if you don't not support them, that would mean that you DO support them. I have to go with Dek here, every single one of your posts I have read have been derogatory both to AB as people, and musically, which I simply can't fathom.
Why is it ok to not like AB and like Stapp, when everyone here is supposedly Creed fans, and therefore alienating more than 3/4s of Creed?
I'm sorry if anyone doesn't agree, and I think I'm being civil about this (by the way Jooji_2, this isn't directed to you, just in general), and really, honestly, just looking for a civil answer, no burns. The fighting and bickering isn't going to stop here until there are either simple understandings of respect towards other people's opinions, or tolerance of the difference of opinions here. For some reason, people can't seem to just agree to disagree, they have to blow everything out of porportion.
I dunno, maybe because I started out at ABrocks and was never *really* exposed to the immature must-have-the-last-post attitude that I'm finding popping up around here, but (other than that) I really do like this board, there's just these random posts that end up getting nasty, and whole threads like this that might as well say "AB vs. Stapp".
Why?

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #32
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) Weathered was an the third album by creed, one day remains is a debut by alter bridge. There is no way you can compare the two.

Unfortunately that is the problem here with comparing of record sales.

ODR is a debut but it is also a debut from 3/4 of what was arguably the biggest rock band on the planet. So it can't be compared to MOP or Weathered. If you want to compare record sales compare it to Velvet Revolver's album. They are kind of in the same position band wise.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #33
Frankie
USER INFO »
Quote: If you want to compare record sales compare it to Velvet Revolver's album. They are kind of in the same position band wise.

If that's what you want...

Okey Doke...Velvet Relvolver has been listed in the top 50 of the Billboard chart ever since they debuted at #1 ...17 weeks ago...and have been certified Platinum by the RIAA

ODR did debut at #5...but sales plummeted and it was gone from the top 50 in 6 weeks. They were called "one week wonders" by Entertainment Weekly.

I think people are comparing ODR to Weathered because AB fans keep saying that AB is better with Myles than Creed was with Scott....and they are just using Weathered's #1 debut...with sales of almost 900,000 with an 8 week stay at the top...just to try to show that all Creed fans did not embrace AB the way people say they have.
AB may be a "new band"...but they purposely came out with the announcement of the Creed break-up to take full advantage of the Creed connection and expected to reap the benefits.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #34
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea) If you support AB you will listen to their music and maybe go to a concert. Thats how you support a band. Supporting the band means you support what kind of music they are putting out their, you are not. When you start liking the music and buying the cd etc, you are supporting the band.

And i hope they don't change the music just to get support of former fans like you.

First of all...I'm a Creed fan....not a former Alter Bridge fan...that would indicate I would have been a fan in the first place. I did listen...I believe I've said that before. They aren't interested in playing anywhere near my hometown or even in my home state.....I'm not driving for four hours to Atlanta to see a concert.

All I have ever said is that I don't care for their music. I don't think I'm alone in that feeling. If wishing them well isn't good enough....then I guess I can't support Alter Bridge then. And if the second album sounds like the first...I can pretty much guarantee I won't be buying that one either.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #35
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by fluttergirl) Well if you don't not support them, that would mean that you DO support them. I have to go with Dek here, every single one of your posts I have read have been derogatory both to AB as people, and musically, which I simply can't fathom.
Why is it ok to not like AB and like Stapp, when everyone here is supposedly Creed fans, and therefore alienating more than 3/4s of Creed?
I'm sorry if anyone doesn't agree, and I think I'm being civil about this (by the way Jooji_2, this isn't directed to you, just in general), and really, honestly, just looking for a civil answer, no burns. The fighting and bickering isn't going to stop here until there are either simple understandings of respect towards other people's opinions, or tolerance of the difference of opinions here. For some reason, people can't seem to just agree to disagree, they have to blow everything out of porportion.
I dunno, maybe because I started out at ABrocks and was never *really* exposed to the immature must-have-the-last-post attitude that I'm finding popping up around here, but (other than that) I really do like this board, there's just these random posts that end up getting nasty, and whole threads like this that might as well say "AB vs. Stapp".
Why?

When you talk about respect...dont' you think it should really go both ways? I've never posted comments such as "Tremonti looks like he's stoned"....or "Tremonti needs to relearn music"....or told anyone "you're full of shit". I realize the fact that I don't like Alter Bridge's music isn't welcome here....if I'm perceived as a Stapp supporter...its because I sense that Stapp's music will actually be something I want to listen to.....not a battle of the bands all wrapped up in one band...who can play faster, more notes....louder. I haven't made my decisions based on one listen to Tremonti's music. I've read the lyrics to every song and listened more than once. If you want me to be honest....I loved Creed....and as a result of all of my observations...Stapp appears to be the one who contributed what it was that I loved most about Creed. And I'm not saying the others didn't contribute to the all round experience that was Creed.

The fact that Alter Bridge is 3/4's of Creed doesn't guarantee me as a fan. I've been told that at another message board. If I don't support and buy Alter Bridge I'm not a true Creed fan. Truth is...they aren't Creed...at least to me they aren't....and they never will be. I take alot of crap for those remarks. You can't fathom that I don't like Alter Bridge musically? That to me indicates you don't respect my choice. Why can't people understand that each of us has our own taste in music.

You try to make it as if people who support Stapp's efforts are the only ones contributing to the division between people....if you actually read every post here you will see that isn't actually the case. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a post titled "Scott Stapp Sucks".....Or "Thank God Stapp is gone"....Stapp vs. Kennedy.....I think you get my drift. And I don't find those at Stapp message boards.....you find them in abundance at Alter Bridge boards.....(though I don't visit any official Alter Bridge boards....just the ones here, at VH1 and The Pit...I'm sure you've seen them too. So if you want to blame people for the AB vs. Stapp issue.....read some of those threads you find at Alter Bridge boards. Creed and Stapp fans would generally leave negative comments about Alter Bridge out of it if the consideration went both ways....but it appears that will never happen. And that isn't because Stapp fans refuse to let it die

Last edited by Jooji_2 : 10-10-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #36
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Frankie) I think people are comparing ODR to Weathered because AB fans keep saying that AB is better with Myles than Creed was with Scott....and they are just using Weathered's #1 debut...with sales of almost 900,000 with an 8 week stay at the top...just to try to show that all Creed fans did not embrace AB the way people say they have.

Thank you Frankie.....YOU got my point.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #37
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: (origionally posted by Frankie):
AB may be a "new band"...but they purposely came out with the announcement of the Creed break-up to take full advantage of the Creed connection and expected to reap the benefits.

these words definitely do appear to be true...more see it than some would care to admit.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #38
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Do you honestly think Stapp won't be promoted as "former lead singer of Creed" ?

Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji) Truth is...they aren't Creed...at least to me they aren't....and they never will be.

excellent. that's all AB wants.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #39
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Plenty of people see it and admit. They'd have to be nuts not have seen that. DUH. Any band or member going in a different direction would exploit the popularity of his former band to further his current project. That sounds like marketing 101 to me. I'll be shocked if we don't see "Former founder/lead singer for CREED" on Scott Stapp's solo project. This is a non-issue.

Last edited by Dogstar : 10-10-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #40
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
and there is no integrity in that type of marketing...will stapp do it so blatently as AB did?...would like to believe that he will take a higher road and market himself on his abilities, which we know he has...the media may choose to mention the Creed connection...but it would be refreshing to see stapp choose another way of marketing his music...

when one wishes to be known for who they are now, than what they were, they will learn from the past, and live in the present...just my thoughts on the subject...nothing more.

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-10-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #41
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
[quote=Bridge of Clay]Do you honestly think Stapp won't be promoted as "former lead singer of Creed" ?

I don't think he will actually have to be promoted that way....most people know who he is.....and was....even the ones who claim to so vehemently hate him, lol. I have no doubt Windup will push their promotions in that direction, as I am sure they believe it will help sales of both efforts. Success-wise Creed was huge...If Windup thinks linking each to Creed will help them make more money....they will certainly do it....cause that really is what its all about with the record company....making money.

P.S. If Alter Bridge never wants to be Creed...then how bout they starting talking about Alter Bridge in their interviews....what they love about AB's music....yadal, yada, yada.....rather than dishing about all that was wrong with Creed.

Last edited by Jooji_2 : 10-10-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #42
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
he already did... it's pretty explicit on www.passionsongs.com
Old 10-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #43
Frankie
USER INFO »
But you see the difference here is...Scott has always spoken with nothing but love and pride about Creed. If they want to call him former lead singer of Creed so be it. At least he is very proud of what they accomplished together.
ab has and continues to only talk about how bad Creed was...they want to distance themselves from it...then shut up and do it.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:59 PM   #44
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Whatever...

I had made a long paragraph to reply it, but I think it's not worthy. Don't worry, it wasn't anything bad! but I erased to say this:

I just think this whole discussion is pointless, because what's done is done... I hate this thing of taking sides... I'd rather the fans were united to support both sides on this new phase and wish AB and Stapp the best.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #45
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Like I said, Jooji, that wasn't aimed entirely or even mostly at you, just something I've noticed.

Completely personally--I was a fan of Creed for the music. There are too many songs on ODR that sound very much so reminiscent of Creed (OYE, for example). I'm not saying that you *should* like them, I'm saying that on some of the songs, they sound enough like Creed, I don't understand how you can not like those individual songs. I dunno, maybe you judge music differently than i do. But your opinion is your opinion, as mine is mine, and we think differently, NBD.
As far as Stapp- he's simply not of the line of vocalists I tend to prefer. However. He was in Creed. He made good music in Creed. I enjoyed listening to him in Creed. Relearn Love doesn't exactly float my boat, but I'll never bash him or post derogatory comments about him, if for nothing else, out of respect of the work he did with Creed.
So yes it should go both ways. With me it does. But if someone posts something bad about stapp, there are 10-20-30 however many ppl who will jump all over them, often rightously so, and I just don't see that kind of support, hardcore, entirely, here for AB.
I'm not saying everyone should love AB and go buy all their CDs. I'm saying people should at least have the decency to have respect for the fact that before Creed broke up, everyone loved this music, and even if you dont like their new stuff, you liked them five years ago. Not all that much has changed. Why bail?
And that goes for Stapp as well. Just pointing out the other side.

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller