++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 07-15-2003, 03:47 AM   #1
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Piercings

I saw a family friend's baby the other day and i was shocked to see that the little kid, barely walking, has pierced ears. I've seen this a lot, but not as much recently, and it got me wondering what on earth would make a parent do that to their child??? There's no medical reasons whatsoever, just for "beauty". It's ridiculous! it was sickening to look at, to imagine the poor thing screaming in pain as holes are punched in it's ears for no reason. I remember getting my ears pierced when i was 10 or something, and it was a big deal and made me feel all grown up cos it was MY decision. I can't believe parents do this still... what do youse think? Don't you think it's kinda barbaric? Doesn't it take all the fun out of getting it done when you're older, when you decide for yourself to do it? Is it just an Australian thing maybe????
Old 07-15-2003, 05:24 AM   #2
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Yep, some Americans are barbaric my 7 year old grandson has his left ear pierced, and he LIKES it.. go figure....

No, I didn't doit, his mother did.....
Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 AM   #3
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
Maybe he chose to have it done, since 7 is old enough to make that decision, but what I was talking about was parents doing it to babies, obviously without the child's permission.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:58 AM   #4
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by mel!ssa
Maybe he chose to have it done, since 7 is old enough to make that decision, but what I was talking about was parents doing it to babies, obviously without the child's permission.

Had it done when he was a baby, and he still likes it
Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 AM   #5
marlsy
USER INFO »
alot of people do that here in the US. I think it looks cute! Although, I didn't do it to my girls as babies, I wanted it to be their decision. My 10 yr old is the only one so far who wanted them! My 13 yr old still dosn't! I would even do my 7 yr old but she's not ready yet,she's afraid it will hurt! I wasn't aloud to get mine until I was 12.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #6
Aimee
USER INFO »
My mommy got my ears peirced when I was a baby because I was bald until I was two (anyone who has seen how much hair I have now may not believe this :lol: ) and she was tired of everyone telling her what a beautiful baby boy I was!!! I had then peirced again when I was 14, and I remember that it hurt so in a sense I'm glad i don't remember the first time (she said I didn't cry at all) but I don't know if I could handle doing that to my own kid.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I got mine done when I was 14. I would have gotten them done sooner, but my mother wouldn't let me. She told me I could do it when I could pay for it. So, I washed cars, cut lawns and used baby-sitting money and got it done while she was away on a trip ...I couldn't believe she didn't freak out when she saw them. 'Course, she and the woman who was watching us worked it all out ahead of time, as I had told her I had the money. ....I think parents should wait and the let the kids decide because not everyone wants them.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM   #8
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Aimee
My mommy got my ears peirced when I was a baby because I was bald until I was two (anyone who has seen how much hair I have now may not believe this :lol: ) and she was tired of everyone telling her what a beautiful baby boy I was!!!  I had then peirced again when I was 14, and I remember that it hurt so in a sense I'm glad i don't remember the first time (she said I didn't cry at all) but I don't know if I could handle doing that to my own kid.

Oh sweet Aimee!!!Your moma could have put um.. Baby bonetts on your cute lil baldy head LOL!!! I always put Baby bonetts on Mercedes because she looked like her Grandpa Carol!!!! And her Grandpa had a "girls" name, but he looked like a man, which meant Mercedes looked like a boy!!!!!! :embarass:
Old 07-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
I got mine done when I was 14. I would have gotten them done sooner, but my mother wouldn't let me. She told me I could do it when I could pay for it. So, I washed cars, cut lawns and used baby-sitting money and got it done while she was away on a trip ...I couldn't believe she didn't freak out when she saw them. 'Course, she and the woman who was watching us worked it all out ahead of time, as I had told her I had the money. ....I think parents should wait and the let the kids decide because not everyone wants them.

I was supposed to wait till I was 14 to get my ears pierced to Dogstar(Dad's rule) But Mom did them when I was 12
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 07-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #10
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
My sister got her ears pierced when she was 2 or 3, and it was because she wanted to have them done. I still feel that that is way to young. I guess it's all personal choice, though.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 07-15-2003, 02:06 PM   #11
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I don't think its right to have little tiny kids ears pierced That is way to young I think.
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 07-15-2003, 04:30 PM   #12
Lechium
USER INFO »
In Philippines they pierce female babies few days after they're born by the way (know that cuz thats how my ex got hers).
Old 07-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #13
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
IŽll get back to this thread when I have a daughter... :P lol!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #14
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I was 9 when I had mine done. My first job ws at a store called Afterthoughts, similar to Claire's and I had to peirce ears. I hated having to do babies. I want it to be my daughter's decision, but I do have friends who had bald girls so they had it done.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:11 PM   #15
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Lechium
In Philippines they pierce female babies few days after they're born by the way (know that cuz thats how my ex got hers).

Just to let you know, in parts of the middle east and areas of Africa they circumsize girls when they're born. Cut off the clit so there is no sexual excitement. I know because it happened to a girl I know. They keep doing it to the younger generations because it happened to them.

Believe it or not I am saying this for a point. It seems wrong, doesn't it? It's the same with piercings (and basically everything else in this world). It isn't right to you, therefore it's wrong. Murdering isn't wrong to murderers, rape isn't wrong to rapists, stealing isn't wrong to thievs... and so on. It's only a bad idea to you if you were raised differently

H-D

PS- My statement is not aimed at Lechium, as may be believed by including the quote.

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"