++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 02-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #46
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: the devil and rock and roll

Corna
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The corna (Italian for horns, also mano cornuta) is a gesture with a vulgar meaning in Mediterranean countries. Its origins can be traced to Ancient Greece. It is realized by stretching the index and little fingers while holding the middle and ring fingers down with the thumb.

The same gesture is used for warding off bad luck or the evil eye. It is also used as a reference to Satan and Satanism, at least since the 1960s, and has a variety of meanings in heavy metal, where it is also known as devil horns, goat horns, throwing the goat, evil fingers, Pommesgabel, mano cornuto or just the horns.

The same gesture is known as Rock on in some U.S. rock music subcultures, and Hook 'em Horns when used by supporters of The University of Texas or its sports teams. In that context, it is used to approximate the shape of the horns of a Texas longhorn steer. Neither use is considered vulgar or satanistic.

Not to be confused is the sign for "I love you" in American Sign Language, which is made by also extending the thumb, or the shaka sign used in Hawaii, which is made by extending just the thumb and little finger.

With the advent of e-mail and other forms of electronic text-based communications; the backslash, lower case "m", and forward slash characters are used as a representation: \m/

source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corna
Old 02-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #47
Carly
USER INFO »

I am talking about rock and roll in general not all rock bands. I just don't like satanism to be a part of my life. I am a believer so I do think it's a very dangerous thing to do. Anyone who does like to be a satanist in any way has the right to but you shouldn't deny you are making yourself one by using occult signs. To me it's a very simple thing: if you are christian don't use the sign known as the satan sign or you are a hypocrite.

Creed(reason I started the topic here) in my opinion is not satanistic, but they are fans of Metallica which I do find satanistic. That's a dissapointment to me when it comes to Creed. It could be a reason for a lot of christians not to listen to their music anymore.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #48
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Carly) I am talking about rock and roll in general not all rock bands. I just don't like satanism to be a part of my life. I am a believer so I do think it's a very dangerous thing to do. Anyone who does like to be a satanist in any way has the right to but you shouldn't deny you are making yourself one by using occult signs. To me it's a very simple thing: if you are christian don't use the sign known as the satan sign or you are a hypocrite.
so I am an Atheist we all agree on that right??

Well I have a Tattoo of a Celtic cross on my right arm does that make me a hypocrite? No I have a love for Celtic art not to mention the fact that it is part of my heritage. THEY ARE JUST SYMBOLS I mean have you ever displayed a symbol of any sort that you didn't necessarily endorse? Everyone has so what? That is why (Christian) fundamentalism is such a problem in this country because everything is taken literally well guess what the world isn't like that and lets think about this for a minute lets think of another group that takes thing literally we call them terrorists.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Carly the unanswerable) Creed(reason I started the topic here) in my opinion is not satanistic, but they are fans of Metallica which I do find satanistic. That's a dissapointment to me when it comes to Creed. It could be a reason for a lot of christians not to listen to their music anymore.
Metallica as a band is not satanic members of them may be involved in the occult but that does not make the whole band satanic. Much like creed was not a Christian band even though Stapp himself is a Christian. And if the members of Creed (like Tremonti) wanna flash the \m/ then more power to him doesn’t let the religious wack jobs get in your way of rocking out

Next thing you know you are gonna start bashing classical music because Mozart was an Atheist and how Classical is the devils music and so on
Old 02-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #49
Carly
USER INFO »

I think that the most rockers(especially Tremonti) don't actually mean anything satanic by using the sign, it's just a part of their rebellious aditude. Still I think those of them who are christian should be more aware of it's meaning.

I personally also like celtic art and don't see anything satanic in it but I don't use any symbols that I don't understand.

Anyway I don't think classical music could ever be called satanic because it simply has nothing to do with satan so I think there's a big difference between rock(especially metal) and classical music. They might not (all) be believers but you won't see them use \m/ or worship the devil.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #50
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) As an atheist I obviously know that the devil is just as much a man-made fantasy being as is/are God(s), but many times it is said by 'true believers' that we are under the influence of satan, so I, and I think I can speak for Anarkist in this sense too, use some sort of satanic smilie to emphasize that in a sarcastic/ironic manor.

"Know"? That's a strong word.

But for goodness' sake, there is no problem with the sign. It is intentions people. If you intend to worhsip the devil, well yeah, go find something better to do, but if you intend to do what is usually meant (Rock on) then, that's what it is.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #51
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: Next thing you know you are gonna start bashing classical music because Mozart was an Atheist and how Classical is the devils music and so on

Rofl. I gotta admit, some music is bad but... come on guys, not the stuff being talked about.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #52
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Rofl. I gotta admit, some music is bad but... come on guys, not the stuff being talked about.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #53
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist)

If you and I agree on something... wow. We MUST be right. lol
Old 02-21-2006, 04:11 AM   #54
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Carly) I think that the most rockers(especially Tremonti) don't actually mean anything satanic by using the sign, it's just a part of their rebellious aditude. Still I think those of them who are christian should be more aware of it's meaning.

I personally also like celtic art and don't see anything satanic in it but I don't use any symbols that I don't understand.

Anyway I don't think classical music could ever be called satanic because it simply has nothing to do with satan so I think there's a big difference between rock(especially metal) and classical music. They might not (all) be believers but you won't see them use \m/ or worship the devil.

You obviously missed the entire point of my post *shakes head*
Old 02-21-2006, 04:13 AM   #55
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) If you and I agree on something... wow. We MUST be right. lol

some one stop the presses!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 AM   #56
Carly
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) You obviously missed the entire point of my post *shakes head*
I rather think you missed out on mine.

Last edited by Carly : 02-21-2006 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #57
Carly
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) so I am an Atheist we all agree on that right??

Well I have a Tattoo of a Celtic cross on my right arm does that make me a hypocrite?
That doesn't make you a hypocrite but being a christian(believer) and supporting the devil does.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) No I have a love for Celtic art not to mention the fact that it is part of my heritage. THEY ARE JUST SYMBOLS I mean have you ever displayed a symbol of any sort that you didn't necessarily endorse? Everyone has so what?
I think using symbols you don't support is ignorant

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) That is why (Christian) fundamentalism is such a problem in this country because everything is taken literally well guess what the world isn't like that and lets think about this for a minute lets think of another group that takes thing literally we call them terrorists.
I'm not a fundamentalist personally, I'm just one of those people who ask themselves whether I'm becoming a satanist because I love rock and roll (because of their symbolism).
I'm not well informed about these problems in the US, 'cause I'm from Europe (Netherlands) myself.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) Metallica as a band is not satanic members of them may be involved in the occult but that does not make the whole band satanic. Much like creed was not a Christian band even though Stapp himself is a Christian. And if the members of Creed (like Tremonti) wanna flash the \m/ then more power to him doesn’t let the religious wack jobs get in your way of rocking out
I used to be a big fan of Metallica until I realised they have some truly evil songs. Creed on the other hand is the opposite of evil so I can forgive them for using \m/

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) Next thing you know you are gonna start bashing classical music because Mozart was an Atheist and how Classical is the devils music and so on
There's a huge difference between unbelievers and satanists!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #58
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

I am just not even gonna bother I have wasted too much time in this thread arguing with some one whom obviously does not want to learn nor want a true explaination. I am done with this thread
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #59
Rocketqueen
USER INFO »

you find it pointless to argue about a subject that been held in lies and darkness since the foundation of the world...as i have told you before About God Thine Heart Can Awnser All Of Your Questions Knock and it shall be open
I Indeed Babtize you with water BUT ONE Mightier Than I Cometh The Latchet Of Whose Shoes I,am Not Worthy To Unloose He Shall Babtize You With The Holy Ghost And With FIREEEEEEEEEE John The Babtist You Never Count Your Money When YOUR Sittin At The Table There Will Be Time Enough To Count,em When The Dealings Done