++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
HuMaN~ClAy
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Just a few Thoughts......

hey people, here are just a few of my thoughts on what i think is one of the best musical displays of art that i've ever heard. I'm talking about Alter Bridge's song, In Loving Memory.

first of all i'll talk about the lyrics, they're fairly easy to interperate on a literal level. at the start you get a sense of Mark missing his mother, "I've missed you for so long, i can't believe you're gone". this is a very touching part of the song, it sets a very sad mood and you get a feeling of the greif that Mark went through. As the song picks up you kinda get a feeling that Mark is coping with the loss and simply likes to remember the good times, "I'm glad he set you free from sorrow...". Then the song slows down and you get a sense of peace from the vocals and the music, "Ooohhhh.....". This also adds to the effect that he's proud of his mother and what she's done with her life, and that he's making peace with himself. Then the song picks up again for one last boost of confidence that he can make it through life and that she is still "with" him, "I sing tonight, cus it comforts me".

On a more global and figurative meaning, I personally relate the lyrics too a person's general life. how life is full of ups and downs, we have to deal with them and be assertive and confident in our choices. Life can be very difficult at times but as long as we keep a good attitude things aren't as bad as they seem. At the end of life we should be left without any regrets.

finally the music apart from the lyrics.... the music can be broken up into 6 different parts. First we have the intro, very soft and sets a warm feeling. Next the initial verses set a sad mood that match the lyrics, kinda slow and simple, only guitar work. Then the song picks up in intensity, which also match the feelings comunicated in the lyrics. Then during the "Ooohhhh.." part of the song everything goes very soft and simple, showing the inner peace that he has reached. Next the song picks up again matching the emotions of the lyrics of confidence. Finally the song ends in a soft outro, a repetition of the intro, symbolizing a return to his initial feeling, before he took us on the rollercoaster of feelings.

I am very interested in what anyone else feels about this song, or any other song. also any comments about my take on In Loving Memory.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Umm... yeah. The song is a straightforward song. Good song, but not overly amazing.

Now, if we were to have a discussion about Metalingus... THEN there would be a lot to talk about, lol
Old 03-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Trem24Fan
USER INFO »
Yeah I'll give you a uhhh ..I agree. I didn't really listen to this one the first few times, but a few weeks after i got the CD (The day it went on sale by the way), I really started to get into it. I think it's a pretty straight forward song, and you're right about the feelings of the music sort of matching the lyrics. Its a very very cool song and generally don't like ballads / slow songs. I could see this one never ever really getting discovered, while at the same time, you could see this one going to #1 on the singles charts. You never really can tell. Either way - we all have something special in One Day Remains.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Very Good analysis HC! Actually, In Loving Memory is one of my favorites song in ODR, (by the way, the other one is Broken Wings) ...cuz it's really intense and and of course, a kinda sad ... however, ILM it's a very beautiful song because Tremonti can really transmits all his feelings with sensibility, and as a result.the emotion grows little by little...Yeah, ILM is definitely an amazing song!
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 03-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Umm... yeah. The song is a straightforward song. Good song, but not overly amazing.

Now, if we were to have a discussion about Metalingus... THEN there would be a lot to talk about, lol

Humm, actually isn't because ILM made you really feel sad everytime you're listen to ?

Cool guy... not ...sad guy lol
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too