++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 07-16-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
A reply from Scott Stapp

Has anyone seen this? My friend emailed it to me from I believe a newspaper in Orlando. I really don't like what he has to say, because with the fact that I wouldn't join the lawsuit, I know he had to be drunk...at least.

Singer speaks out on lawsuit, life
--------------------

Scott Maxwell

July 15, 2003

After keeping silent for months about a lawsuit that alleged he was too intoxicated to perform at a Chicago concert, Creed frontman Scott Stapp spoke out Monday, wanting to tell his side of the story.

"Ever since we've gotten successful, we've been under a constant barrage of people attacking me, attacking my character," Stapp said in one of two lengthy voice mails he left at the newspaper. "And some of the things are just made up."

The statements from Stapp, who owns a house in Maitland, come at a time when fans have been wondering what's going on with one of the world's most popular bands.

With 30 million albums sold, the post-grunge group with a Christian tinge stepped out of the limelight shortly after four fans sued the band -- for $2 million on behalf of 15,000 concertgoers -- following a Chicago concert that they described as lackluster.

But Stapp said Monday that allegations he was drunk or that the band's performance was halfhearted were simply bogus.

For instance, when fans said he appeared to have passed out onstage, Stapp said, he was making a dramatic statement during the song "Who's Got My Back?"

"It was a symbolic, personal gesture," Stapp said of his decision to lie down during the show. "I had some things going on in my life. I kind of felt alone. And it was a symbol that I didn't think anybody had my back at the time.

"Some people get it. Some people don't."

In his messages, Stapp sounded frustrated but not angry. And very serious.

"We appreciate the fans," he said. "We know that the fans are the reason we are here today. And that night, we gave it everything that we had -- like we do every night."

Stapp could not be reached for a follow-up interview. But his attorney, Rob McNeely, said band members wanted to air their opinion that the show was a good one. McNeely cited an online petition with 1,310 fans who agree. Stapp said that in the past, his band has given repeat shows for performances band members thought were subpar. The Chicago show, he said, was not one of them.

"If these allegations were true, the band would, of course, feel that the fans deserved a free show," he said. "These allegations are a lie. They're false."

Stapp did not offer an explanation for why he thought fans would sue him for a strong show. While he did say he was "fighting off illness" at the time, he said he watched the concert on tape and doesn't understand the fuss.

"We didn't feel like it was an awful show," he said. "That's why it kind of shocked us."

Copyright © 2003, Orlando Sentinel

Visit OrlandoSentinel.com
Old 07-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Someone posted it yesterday, but I appreciate you posting it again. I am so glad he said some things.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
mamm1234
USER INFO »
Yeah, the thread on this at the Pit already has 550 replies and 28 pages since yesterday.

The consensus there seems to think it is pretty pitiful. Peeps are very disappointed in Stapp.

Myself included. Personally, I think this is very sad. for Creed, the fans and Scott.

And as most ppl said, his lawyer would have to prefer that he say nothing at this point and certainly not call up and leave voice messages.

Very Sad, imho.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
Like I said, it really bums me out that he is now saying it himself. I know what I saw, and I STILL won't sue, but I thought he had more honesty in him. I forget it's a business, and lawyers advise and...anyway, it bothers me. My pedestal I had him on has dropped for a few days.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I don't feel he was dishonest in his statements at all. What else can you say if you honestly feel you weren't at fault? He is the only one and maybe a handful of others that knows whether or not he was really drunk and we are not here to decide that so I am glad he spoke out, probably against his lawyers wishes, but that let's me know that he is honest and does want the fans to know his side.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
marlsy
USER INFO »
sorry, but I think it's obvious even in the pictures I saw of him rolling around on the floor with his socks half falling off he was a bit drunk!! Not that it matters, we all have a bad night sometimes!! I guess noone will really know forsure what really happened. If he wasn't drunk why did they almost cancel that night but didn't because they were afraid of a riot?? don't get me wrong I stand by Creed 100%, but just because he says he wasn't drunk dosn't mean it's true. His word is not gospel. He just dosn't want to give up some of his millions i'm sure.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
I know he was high on something. I saw it with my own two eyes. Again, I stand by Creed. But there is no doubt, none whatsoever, that he was not straight. He repeated verses. One song went on for 16 minutes. Two songs he repeated verses and skipped the second verse. He's covering his butt, and I bet his lawyers told him to say he was speaking out against their wishes. I love Creed, love Scott, but it's not true.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #8
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I was there as well and I feel differently. I am not saying it was the best show I had been to, because it wasn't. I understand what everyone is saying and I respect that. I think he was having a rough night and since I don't know whether he was drunk or high, I don't want to say that he was.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #9
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
I was at other shows too, and even when he just got in his accident, he was way more energetic. He never messed up any words. He stood through the whole performance, never sitting or lying down. I'll say it again, I stand behind Creed, but do you honestly believe he was just having a bad night? Were you in the pit?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #10
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Yes, I was in the pit. I totally understand your view on this! Since the show, a lot of what got me past it was the fact that I really didn't know what was going on with him that night and I knew it would eventually come out and I could understand it better. He looked rough, but he looked like he was tired and worn out. I have been to some awesome shows and I really enjoyed myself at those, I was sad after the 12/29 show and I just wanted to know he was okay and that this wasn't "it" for Creed. When I heard about the New Years Eve show, I was relieved and I knew then he was just having an off night. I think Creed has put on some of the most awesome shows I have ever been to and when one show wasn't as perfect as the others, it was a shock and it was hard on everyone who was there, but since I am not 100% sure if he was drunk or high, I am not saying.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #11
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
I too walked away saying the exact same thing, exactly, "I hope he is okay." That was all I wanted. I never wanted my money back, I didn't want to know what it was he was high on, I wanted to believe he was, if anything, just drunk, no drugs. It's funny how you try to justify it in your head, someone you look up to so much. It would be better in my head if it were just alcohol or if he mixed them and got caught up in prescription drugs. I won't let my mind wonder any farther. It's hard to face reality in those situations for me.

New Year's Eve didn't make me feel jipped out of my money, it made me, like you, feel relieved, so relieved. And the same feeling you had, I did when I knew it wasn't "it."
Old 07-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #12
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I know what you mean. They mean a lot to me and it was hard. I look up to them a lot and I hope that we all find out exactly what is going on, but I have a feeling that is wishful thinking. I am from Arkansas and I flew with my sister to the show in Chicago. I am glad I was present for such a show, but as much as I hate to say this, I wish I would have made plans to fly to Philly on NYE instead of the Chicago show because after hearing the reviews, that would have made my entire 2003 until I could see them once again in 2004.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:00 PM   #13
benkenobi
USER INFO »
I don't know all the details in what you people saw, and frankly I don't even care to know or read about it. Just remember that nobody's perfect. The thing that gets me is many people saw a pretty could performance and a few thought otherwise.
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)
Old 07-16-2003, 05:01 PM   #14
crest tattoo
USER INFO »
Carrie, right? Next time around, we have to meet up at one of the shows. I don't know about you, but I miss having that to look forward to. That was almost as much fun as going. I've meet new people, and I will be with them next time. I wish we had an small, tiny hint as to when that is... Philly would've been so great, but I feel closer I know the situation better having seen it, and I won't give up on them for anything.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:01 PM   #15
benkenobi
USER INFO »
...many saw a pretty GOOD performance that is and few thought it otherwise.
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)