++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Life after Creed happier for Alter Bridge drummer

Life after Creed happier for Alter Bridge drummer
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
By Christina Fuoco
CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Alter Bridge drummer Scott Phillips couldn't be happier about his post-Creed life.

Phillips makes no bones about being unhappy pounding the skins for his former band, which featured singer Scott Stapp and guitarist/ Grosse Pointe native Mark Tremonti.

Creed announced in June that it was disbanding, and Phillips, Tremonti, ousted Creed bassist Brian Marshall and ex-Mayfield Four frontman Myles Kennedy formed Alter Bridge. Phillips raves about the democratic songwriting process on the new band's debut, "One Day Remains," and the easy nature of working with his new bandmates.

Especially on its first single, "Open Your Eyes," Alter Bridge shows some of the same traits as Creed: swirling guitar solos, soaring vocals and anthemic choruses.

"Mark wrote most of the material (with Creed). He wrote probably 60 or 70 percent of the lyrics, did most of the vocal melodies and came up with all of the guitar riffs," Phillips said in a recent interview from the band's rehearsal space in Florida.

"This time around, it was more of a democratic process. If we had an opinion or an idea about something - not that we couldn't always express it earlier - this time it actually would happen. Mark was very open to suggestions. I like the way the songs turned out. ... It was a really, really fun process. It was really cool."

Phillips explained that Kennedy was one of the first singers at whom the trio from Creed looked. Kennedy, who toured with Creed as a member of the Mayfield Four, was "definitely the guy for the job."

"He's just a good-hearted, fun guy to be around," Phillips said. "It's really cool. He's very creative. He's got an expansive musical background. He's a musician just as much as he is a singer. Scott, being an amazing singer, didn't have a real extensive musical knowledge.

"He (Kennedy) is really good at what he does and understands what we do as well. We trust him and his abilities, and he seems to do the same with us. It's a good mutual-admiration society."

Alter Bridge will kick off its first tour Thursday at Clutch Cargo's in Pontiac with a set entirely of material from "One Day Remains." The band has decided to steer away from Creed material.

"We really feel like we're going to have our core audience in there, and people that are fans of the new projects, and (those who) understand that we're not going to come in there and do two new songs and a do a bunch of Creed stuff," Phillips said.

"We just sort of felt like it wouldn't be fair to Myles to have to go through that. It wouldn't be fair for Scott to go out and do Creed stuff. It's not fair to the fans who are used to Creed, which Scott was a big part of, to watch somebody else do the songs.

"The same goes with Scott if he goes out and does Creed songs with a different band," Phillips said. "I just don't know if that would be fair to us. If he choose to do that, that's up to him."

Phillips added that Stapp has teamed up with the Canadian band the Tea Party to work on new material. He said Creed met the band while they toured together in the late 1990s.

Phillips admitted that he is a little apprehensive about touring with a new band.

"I'm sitting here in our rehearsal space wondering if I can remember how to play the drums," he said. "We got off a 31/2-week acoustic promo tour. We went from station to station sort of around the country and up to Canada and did acoustic performances and interviews.

"Mark got to play and sing. Myles got to play and sing, and Brian got to play his bass, and I was beating on congas. It's probably more challenging for me to get back out there and play full on," he added with a laugh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I met AB in London, and Flip said they've spoken to Scott once after the breakup, so "Uncel Mark" and "Band break up, not friend break up" is problably mostly bullshit.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
Quote: (Originally Posted by THE LITHIUM) Also, I met AB in London, and Flip said they've spoken to Scott once after the breakup, so "Uncel Mark" and "Band break up, not friend break up" is problably mostly bullshit.

That's a matter of opinion. Ab fans are going to believe what they say and Stapp fans will believe what he said. What's bullshit is that Mark wrote a majority of the lyrics. Mark said himself that Stapp wrote 99% of the lyrics in a previous interview...someone isn't telling the truth here.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
The Lithium
USER INFO »
99% is bullshit too!! Mark wrote much more than that, but 60-70, well who knows...? Maybe he did. I know the wrote the most for Human Clay

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
RMadd
USER INFO »
you got to meet 'em after the show? awesome!

Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
The Lithium
USER INFO »
No, I met them before the show!! I got to catch their soundcheck EXLUSIVE!!! We were just about 7 fans who did. They played a "not yet finished" song acoustic. Check the "Concert Review" forum to read my review of the day in London.

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
Stop the constant arguing about who did what and live with AB as the band they are not as the band they were part of! (shakes head) A fact is, he wrote the lyrics now mostly for AB and Flip's happy. That's enough to be happy of over yatta yatta who did and who did and argue babble argue!

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101
Old 09-22-2004, 06:02 PM   #7
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I would think the 60 percent to 70 percent refers to Alter Bridge stuff, not Creed stuff. Where it says (with Creed), it probably means "while still with Creed." In the paragraph before that one, they are talking about AB music.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 AM   #8
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I would think the 60 percent to 70 percent refers to Alter Bridge stuff
It clearly says Mark wrote 60 or 70 % of the lyrics with Creed

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-23-2004, 02:18 AM   #9
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by THE LITHIUM) It clearly says Mark wrote 60 or 70 % of the lyrics with Creed

so it does, Lithium...but do you actually believe everything you read?...it may say it altho, it could easily be a misprint, now couldn't it?...writers are not infallable...nor is the author of this article...

~peace
Old 09-23-2004, 05:34 AM   #10
The Lithium
USER INFO »
I believe it if it comes from the band

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 AM   #11
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
That still doesn't make it true. Scott writing 99% of the lyrics also came from Mark previously so either this was a mis-quote or one isn't true. They can't both be right.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #12
Shadow
USER INFO »
Their memory of Creed seems to be getting fuzzier and fuzzier with every interview. What a shame. We all know that Scott wrote 99.9% of the lyrics. It's obvious. Just reading the lyrics for ODR you can see difference. You can see that there is no influence from Scott. The lyrics don't have as much feeling and depth as Creed's did.

Lith, you seem to only have one view of things. Believe what you will. You can't believe everything you read or hear.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #13
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Not 99%. Mark wrote very many lyrics for Human Clay

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-23-2004, 08:16 AM   #14
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Shadow) We all know that Scott wrote 99.9% of the lyrics.
We do?

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 09-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #15
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
I don't know what the percentage was with Creed but Scott had song writing credits on all of the songs. With Alter Bridge, and I don't have the liner notes in front of me so bear with me, it looked like Mark wrote 6 or 7 of the songs by himself and Myles helped on the other 4 or 5. Which would lead to the 60-70 percent for Alter Bridge (Mark) and the 99 percent for Creed (Scott). But does it really matter who wrote what and where and how much as long as you appreciate the music for waht it was and now is?