++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #46
Krisoz26
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: *The Official "Full Circle" Reviews Thread*

Quote: (Originally Posted by revisfoot) I really think "A Thousand Faces" is this album's My Own Prison, or "Faceless Man". It is an epic tune, and it is amazing.

And you can't deny that "Away in Silence" is one of the most personal songs this band has ever recorded. In fact, it shows a very personal side, lyrics-wise. It shows Stapp's humanity, I think, to sing about something that directly affected him, instead of something from a "world-view" perspective.

Exactly. "Away in silence" is their best song lyrically since wash away the years.

Fear absoulately blew my mind what riffs and music that song has wow!!!

As for the album it was worth the 7 years wait. Atleast 9.5/10. Prob their best with the mix etc no lullaby or any other song to make you sleep and great lyrics and riffs
Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #47
Prog
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Prog Send a message via MSN to Prog Send a message via Yahoo to Prog

"A Thousand Faces" is amazing. I cannot get over how good this song is and how great Tremonti's harmonies are. What's even more special is the first time I ever heard the song was the second time it was ever played live.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #48
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

[quote=revisfoot]I really think "A Thousand Faces" is this album's My Own Prison, or "Faceless Man". It is an epic tune, and it is amazing.[quote]

I can agree with that. The thing is though that the production on that song is pretty bad. My main complaint with the song is the vocals though, they are too all over the place. Do ya know what i mean? although hearing Mark sing with Stapp on a new song is one of the best things I have heard this year. Maybe its just that the Houston performance was so epicly amazing that nothing with Howard Bensons name on it could compete. lol.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #49
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Just finished listening through the whole album.

As a whole i wish they'd gone with a different producer, it all just sounds really muddy and stapp's vocals are...i don't know...too loud? Too pitch corrected? I can't put my finger on it but it just sounds kind of off.

As far as the songs go, i do like most of them. I have to say that i like the new direction they're heading in as far as how heavy it is.

I'm a little disappointed in a lot of the songs lyrically, they just seem weak compared to even alter bridge, there's just no finesse to it like Stapp used to be able to write, the lyrics don't flow at all, and in some cases it's downright awkward.

I think Full Circle, On My Sleeve, Fear, and Thousand Faces are my favorites so far. In a lot of other cases i really enjoy the song musically but then really can't get into it lyrically, those are the 4 that hooked me from both angles though.

There was a distinct shift in the quality of Stapp's lyrics from weathered to great divide, and that shift is still prevalent in this album.

I know some people harp on AB for the generality of their lyrics, but at least they flow and sound good harmonically, in some cases with stapp it seemed like he tried to cram in way too many words that didn't go together in the first place at the end of phrases and it just sounds awkward. In other cases it sounds like he just wrote something general to get from one part of a song to the other because he couldn't think of what to really write.

It's made more noticeable when you listen to a song like Thousand Faces, which IMO is written extremely well, and then listen to a song like Time which just sounds like a generalized, cluttered mess of lyrics, no matter how good the guitar work is behind it.

God i just reread that and it sounds like i'm bashing this cd, i really don't mean to. I love this band and i do love this album, it's just that the lyrical content really stuck out at me in an annoying way all the way through it the same way as it did on stapp's solo album.

Tremonti is a beast, plain and simple, the man is an endless well of awesome guitar riffs, chord progressions, harmonies, and solo's that just rock my pants off, and goddamn can the man sing.

Phillips is one hell of a drummer. I love listening to the old creed cd's and then through the AB stuff to hear how much he's improved as a drummer, it really is pretty incredible.

In my mind, Brian is responsible for some of the really awesome grooves in this cd. I really think he had a hand in the groove of Full Circle, which is a big departure for the band style wise, but just kicks major ass. It's like a really awesome combo between blues groove and rock kickassness.

I'm curious how this would have sounded with ERock actually on the cd, i really love him as an addition to the band, him and Tremonti really seem to get along and have fun performing together. It's cool because ERock really looked up to Tremonti when he was in Submersed, and now look at where he is.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #50
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Update:

I am officially obsessed with On My Sleeve, Fear, Full Circle, and Thousand Faces.

These songs are fantastic.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #51
Citro2131
USER INFO »

Just bought the album at best buy.I like the whole album.My favorite songs are On My Sleeve and A Thousand Faces.The whole album is great tho.Creed is back and back to stay.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #52
00iceman
USER INFO »

Been listening to the whole album non-stop all weekend and all day so far today. I'm still 110% impressed and loving every track. Each time I get through it, I find myself wishing for more!

I've been keeping up with the reviews in this thread and I have to say that I have not found 1 criticism that I really agree with. I find the album impeccable. I love Stapp's vocals and lyrics. Who cares if they used auto-tone. That's why you go to a live concert if you want the grungy, dirty, sometimes out of tune vocals.

Also, my input on the Creed/AB debate - 2 different approaches there. AB is all about Tremonti's guitar, which is great. That's why I like AB. (Let's be honest, though, Kennedy's vocals can't hold a candle to Stapp's.) Creed is all about the whole band. I think Stapp's vocals go perfectly with Tremonti's sound. Flip and Marshall are flawless in driving the band.

Tracks emerging as favorites for me: Bread of Shame, A Thousand Faces, Suddenly, Away in Silence, Fear, Full Circle, The Song You Sing

Bottom line, this entire album rocks like no other.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #53
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

"(Let's be honest, though, Kennedy's vocals can't hold a candle to Stapp's.)"

I lol'd at that.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #54
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Icedmofo) "(Let's be honest, though, Kennedy's vocals can't hold a candle to Stapp's.)"

I lol'd at that.

In my opinion, though, people give Kennedy way too much credit. I've seen plenty of live videos of him singing and struggling to hit notes. No man is perfect. On top of that, they're different types of singers. There are some songs on "Full Circle" that I just couldn't imagine Kennedy singing in. Likewise, there's no way Stapp could sing some Alter Bridge songs.

Aside from that, I think that "Full Circle" is lyrically reflective of the past seven years. Stapp's battling demons that alienated him from his Creed bandmates and family. I don't find his lyrics to be too "general." To me, they sound reflective and optimistic.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #55
bigbird42
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) In my opinion, though, people give Kennedy way too much credit. I've seen plenty of live videos of him singing and struggling to hit notes. No man is perfect. On top of that, they're different types of singers. There are some songs on "Full Circle" that I just couldn't imagine Kennedy singing in. Likewise, there's no way Stapp could sing some Alter Bridge songs.

Aside from that, I think that "Full Circle" is lyrically reflective of the past seven years. Stapp's battling demons that alienated him from his Creed bandmates and family. I don't find his lyrics to be too "general." To me, they sound reflective and optimistic.

I think the previous poster was just pointing out that it is ridiculous to say that Kennedy can't hold a candle to Stapp. Regardless of who you favor, they are both talented vocalists. I personally really liked Stapp previous to the break-up. I saw Stapp on the Weathered tour, and he was fantastic. Plenty of range and great power in his voice. I had never heard of Kennedy before AB. I really enjoyed Kennedy's vocals, especially his range, as soon as I heard him. Both times that I saw AB live, he was phenomenal. I saw Creed in Chicago on 8/30 and thought that Stapp sounded good, not great. While I still think Stapp is a very good lead, I have to give an edge to Kennedy at this point in time. But all of that aside, they are both highly talented singers and I really enjoy listening to both.

In regards to the album, my friend just picked up a copy for me from Best Buy and I'm excited to give it a listen tonight.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #56
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »

I hate Walmart even more now. I went and they swore up and down it wasn't released until tomorrow even though i saw it at other stores. I know full well they have a shipment of them in the back but they weren't willing to sell me one. I want to get it there instead of somewhere else because I want the free DVD. Freaking walmart.

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #57
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) I hate Walmart even more now. I went and they swore up and down it wasn't released until tomorrow even though i saw it at other stores. I know full well they have a shipment of them in the back but they weren't willing to sell me one. I want to get it there instead of somewhere else because I want the free DVD. Freaking walmart.
WALMART SUCKS.

In other news, I love On My Sleeve as it hits deep with how we can really feel passionately about something and have it ripped from our hands. Also, of course A Thousand Faces. That's the best track there is. I am sorta liking the unique sound to Full Circle, I like the backing vocal part to The Song You Sing. It's different. Otherwise, I'd have to say Suddenly or Time are the other ones I like either for their sound or the music. I do agree that the lyrics are not as complex as they used to be. But it's different. A lot of repetition but perhaps that's how the message is relayed now.

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101

Last edited by Torn Signs : 10-26-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #58
nagpo
USER INFO »

I just heard the entire album throughout. I like it. I'll give it a few more listens before I completely review it.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #59
BSC
USER INFO »

THIS IS KILLING ME!

Who thinks I should wait until the 2nd of November (UK release), or who thinks I should download it? Please help :S.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #60
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by BSC) THIS IS KILLING ME!

Who thinks I should wait until the 2nd of November (UK release), or who thinks I should download it? Please help :S.
You should buy it either way.