++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
10/05/2004 - Allentown, PA - Crocodile Rock

Post your reviews here.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 10-06-2004, 02:16 AM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
OMFG!!!! I just got back from the AB show!!! Fricken FANTASTIC. I can't wait to see them again!!!

Ok, here's my recap/review...this could be long, heheh...

I got to the Crocodile Rock Cafe FIRST, hehehe, at around 4 p.m. As I was standing there, all by myself, I saw a guy walking down the street and I'm thinking, he looks like Flip...And he was. I said, Hey I know who you are, how are you doing? He smiled and said hello back and then he met some woman who had approached him and they went into the venue.

The place was pretty small, I'd say 500-700 people, but that's a guess. It was all on one floor and the stage was not big at all. There were a couple of bars ringing the floor with a bunch of seats near them. Despite my being first in line, I ended up in the second row behind the rail, because there was an under-21 line around the back of the building that somehow got let in first. Anyway, I didn't care because I was smack-dab in front of Mark!

Submersed came out first and they did a great set, all the stuff from the new CD. Donald sounded awesome and I had forgotten how good he was live (not really, but it had just been a while). Hollow was really great and the crowd seemed to like them a lot. I was right in front of Eric and he and I made eye contact a few times, which was cool as I was headbanging my ass off and giving him the devil sign! I think they did about 8 songs, but I lost count. They have come a long way since New Year's Eve. Donald really knows how to work a crowd and Eric even joined in getting people to clap their hands to some of the songs. They have real promise!
The only problem was that sometimes the guitars drowned out the vocals, but that very well could have been because I was up front. Vocals always sound better when your back a little bit.

Crossfade came on next and they were OK, but really not my cup of tea. I would say the crowd was half into them. They did have a core group of diehards standing next to me, and the singer was kind of playing to them during their set. I think they did about 10 songs. As someone I spoke to in line said of them, they were kind of like Linkin Park lite . They had a DJ/keyboard guy who was far more effective when he was doing to the rapping/singing. I think his name was Tony because he came out and did the vocals for the Deep Purple song with AB, and he actually did a decent job. I didn't particulary care for the lead singer a whole lot. He had that kind of emo-whine to his voice which I find not very appealing. Nobody booed them, though, which I'm not sure won't happen in Philly. That crowd is always tough, LOL...

Ok, onto our boys!!! The stage was pretty small, so even though I was on Mark's side, I had a great view of Brian and Myles. I didn't see Flip as much, because Myles kind of blocked him, but from what I did see, he was having a blast back there.
They opened with One Day Remains and the place went absolutly bonkers! People (myself among them) were just raising their fists, giving devil signs and screaming their heads off. ODR was a rousing rendition, I might add. I can't say enough how happy everyone looked on stage. Brian was just grooving all night and he smiled quite a bit. I had never seen him live (I only saw Creed on the Weathered tour), so this was a real treat for me. The bass always sounds so cool live! He just looked so relaxed and happy up there!

The setlist (a copy of which I got, THANK YOU, MICHAEL)
was as follows...
After ODR:
Watch Your Words
Broken Wings
Find the Real
Burn It Down
Save Me (It's listed but I don't remember if they actually played it)
Metalingus
Shed My Skin
Down to My Last
Encore:
In Loving Memory (acoustic)
Highway Star
Open Your Eyes

I have to say that Mark played his ass off and Myles was just great. He said he and the guys were suffering from colds and that trying to sing with a cold was like trying to fly without wings, but that there was no way they were going to cancel the show. Everyone went nuts again and despite his cold, he sounded pretty freakin' awesome! He's as good or better live than he is on the album. He has incredible stage presence and he can work a crowd! Several times, he touched people's hands as he walked the stage while singing, and he also twice squatted and held some woman's hand during a couple of songs. It was really cool.

He also played guitar on a couple of songs, and for Highway Star he and Mark were at opposite ends of the stage, standing on speakers or some equipment and fricken wailing on the guitars!!! It was awesome. Mark really played to the crowd, more than he ever did with Creed and people just ate it up. He and Myles exchanged lots of big grins during the show. Myles I don't think EVER stopped smiling. I really think the reception he's getting has been unbelievable for him. Some guy did yell out that Scott Stapp rules a couple of times before they started playing. There's always one, hehehe...Another guy yelled out Sick and Wrong (a MF4 song) as a request and Myles was like, Who said Sick and Wrong? When the guy raised his hand, Myles said Thanks, with a big smile on his face. That was nice of him to acknowledge that. He said AB definitely were coming back to Allentown. He told the crowd several times how great they were.

Also, there was a group of women from Fliponline at the show and they had a sign that said Flip Rules or something to that effect. So in between songs, Myles sees the sign and accepts it from one of the women and then goes in to this funny story about how Flip has childhood issues and that he needs therapy and that maybe they will do a group hug after the show, hehehe. But for tonight, he said, Flip Rules, and we all chimed in. It was cute. He then gave the sign to Flip .

I have to say that the standout songs were: Find the Real, Metalingus (Flip went nuts on the kit), The End Is Here (which really has grown on me), Burn It Down (OMFG..awesome!!!), Watch Your Words (OMFG2...awesome!!), Highway Star and In Loving Memory. Hell, the whole show was great. They were tight and very on.

For In Loving Memory, Mark played a 12-string Taylor. It was a fucking beautiful instrument! Not to mention the playing. He so has the gift, man! It was a treat to watch him rip it UP on the ax, too. All his solos were fantastic. He is so freaken fast and he was playing all kinds of notes. Myles is no slouch on the ax, either. I think he misses playing it all the time because he held the mic stand several times like a guitar, LOL.
Myles' vocals on this were incredible as well.

Aside from the setlist, I got a pic handed to me by Mark! That was cool. They don't have AB ones yet, so it's just a black Dunlop, but I didn't care since he handed it to me. Michael said it may be a few weeks before they have ones that have AB on them.

After the show, I got to talk to Michael, since he was giving out setlists ...Steve, I told him hi for you . We chatted for about 10 minutes and he actually offered me a backstage pass thingy, but I declined. I felt weird going back there without anybody, LOL, and besides, I had an hour's drive back home. While I was getting my shirt, I saw Donald and Eric from Submersed, though, and talked to them for a couple of minutes, telling them I remember them from the NYE show. They were quite appreciative. We talked for a few minutes more and Eric said to me, hey, I saw you out there and gave me a big smile. Without even asking they picked up a little poster of themselves from the merch table and signed it for me. How sweet was THAT? Donald wrote on it, Thanks for New Year's Eve. I thought that was a nice touch. I then told them about how much trouble I had getting the CD, LOL. They asked me what I thought of it and I told them I loved it. Donald said it has a little bit of everything because they don't want to be pidgeon-holed. They are very proud of their work, as well they should be! I told them I looked forward to Saturday's show in Philly!

All in all, a great evening that would have been even better if my favorite concert buddies had been with me (you know who you are )

Last edited by Dogstar : 10-06-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:35 AM   #3
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I know!! We're going to have a BLAST!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the review and the call. Still think you should've helped move some equipment in but, whatever. I'm glad you had such a great time and I look forward to Saturday night tremendously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
LOL...I can't wait, either. We're going to have such a great time!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Great report, DS...well done...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
Jersey_Devil
USER INFO »
One thing I forgot to mention in my Toronto post is that they played with the flu. Like other people have been mentioning. Imagine what they'd sound like playing healthy?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
True that, Jersey Devil.