++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 03-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #16
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) That would leave the super-majority to determine the rights of the minority without regard to what the minority wants. Sounds like oppression to me.

So is it oppression to the super-majority every time a minority is given what they want, regardless of what the majority wants?

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 03-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #17
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by TeriB19) I say live and let live. They aren't hurting me or anyone else. If they love each other and want to be in a committed relationship, what is the harm? I am not getting into a religious debate about this.

I feel the same way!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #18
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
'Steve, that's all well and good, but what about people who are in the minority? Don't they matter? And why are those in the majority so offended by the thought of two people sharing a life of love through marriage? Why do they even care? Because for most of those it DOES come back to religion. And in that guy's argument, he couches his bias by using the word *tradition*.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #19
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: So is it oppression to the super-majority every time a minority is given what they want, regardless of what the majority wants?

If they are running the show, then no, it isn't because in most cases the majority get what they want. I just don't see the big deal of allowing same-sex marriages. And I loathe the fact that the administration chooses to focus on this issue when there are far more serious issues to tackle.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #20
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) If they are running the show, then no, it isn't because in most cases the majority get what they want. I just don't see the big deal of allowing same-sex marriages. And I loathe the fact that the administration chooses to focus on this issue when there are far more serious issues to tackle.

I hate to change the topic, but I view using a minority status to gain priviledge just as much oppression as the oppositve view as well. For instance, affirmative action. Why should certain people be given jobs, scholarshps, or anything for that matter based upon a certain item (race, sexual preference, etc.)? I was unable to attend a certain university because i could not afford the cost, while someone else from my highschool was able to attend that university because they received a scholarship - solely because they are labeled a minority. Is this right?

I agree that this administration is focusing on this issue when there are more important things to be discussed, however since a majority of Americans (from recent polls) are against same-sex marriages, it's an issue that he can win over the public with. It's all politics... (although I'm not sure if a majority are in favor of amending the Constitution?)

I don't care if same-sex partners are given all the same legal rights as married people. In fact, I encourage that. Let them split the bills 50/50 and fight over who gets the house when they separate. However I think that marriage is a tradition and should be left that way.

Regardless of the separation of church and state, this country was founded on religious principles. This is one religious principle that needs to stay intact.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:31 PM   #21
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
So, Lechium, do you believe that homosexuality is something that is bred in certain people or that it is a concious decision people have to make (hetero, bi, homo, etc.)?

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 03-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #22
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Steve, I agree that affirmative action is flawed. Nothing's ever perfect, but it originated because of the oppression of minorities, in this case, black people. I think the original intent was in good faith, to even things up a little more, or to at least have the workplace reflect the population, which isn't all white. I think that without it, we would revert to the way it was pre-Affirmative Action, at least in attitude. It might not be as blatant as it was back then, but it hasn't really gone away. It's just more subtle, and until racism disappears, I think Affirmative Action should remain in some form. I have seen it work both ways.

And I'm definitely not in favor of a Constitutional amendment regarding marriage, at least not until the Equal Rights Amendment is added .
Old 03-09-2004, 12:32 AM   #23
DangerousDan85
USER INFO »
I agree with Dogstar and Lechium on this one, gay couples deserve the same rights as straight couples
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Alice in Chains- Nutshell
Old 03-09-2004, 01:04 AM   #24
facelessman
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to facelessman Send a message via MSN to facelessman
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire)
Personally, I think that two girls shouldn't turn to each other without giving me a chance. However, after giving me a chance, well... that's a different story.

H-D
lol thats awesome
and ive seen more guts on 11 year old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home
I hope theres ice on all the roads
and think of me when you forget your seatbelt
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
Seventy Times Seven- Brand new
Old 03-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #25
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
...and comin' out of a Mor(m?)ons mouth!!! What else can you expect? LMAO!!!

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 03-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #26
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Dogstar, I also do agree strongly with your posts!

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 03-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #27
Lechium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) So, Lechium, do you believe that homosexuality is something that is bred in certain people or that it is a concious decision people have to make (hetero, bi, homo, etc.)?

H-D

From what I saw so far it looks like it is not a choice. Some people speculate about ressesive gay gene that shows up in some people, others have other theories. The fact is people just notice one day that they are atracted more to same sex than to opposite, rather than make a concious descidion to become gay just for the hell of it.

There are gay animals too, if you havent noticed, so like it or not, but gay are aboslutley natural. You can say that their activities do not lead to making kids, but even with estimated 5+% of gay people Earth is about to get over populated, so I dont think that this is such a big factor after all.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #28
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
First of, it will NEVER be a same-sex marriage because marriage is not defined by the state, but by the church. So if they do legalize 'same-sex marriages' it will ONLY be a civil union. Good luck trying to find a church that will actually marry a homosexual couple.

Bush proposed a constitutional amendment that marriage be defined and everyone, and their third cousin's mother-in-law got thier panties in a bunch. The president can propose as many amendments as he wants, but according to his role..defined by the constitution, he has absolutely NO role in constitutional amendments. he cannot even be in the same building as the constituents. To top that off, all amendments must be ratified by 2/3rds of the states, not the populous.

I am 100% against the practice of homosexuality. I personally think it is disgusting. But then again, thats only my personaly belief. I do believe that they are entitled to the same rights as we are. I dont believe anyone deserves anything, I believe we all have to earn the things we want. The chain of 'shot gun' marriages in San Francisco, IMO, is only harming thier cause. They want us to take them serious and allow them to have the same 'marriage' rights we do.... but they do so by mocking it. Then you see some gay rights activists who have the audacity to go on national tv and compare this to civil rights stand offs in the south. Just when you formulate enough pity to support them, they go out and do something incredibly stupid and lose all credibility. Those are my two cents.

Like steve said, this country was formed by religous and ethical principles. If you do completely remove all the factors that our founding fathers used when creating this country... you get, in one word, Canada. [and thats not meant as an insult]

As for affirmaive action, that to me, seems like the biggest slap in the face. Im a minority and I am completely against affirmative action. I dont see why I have to be awarded special treatment on the basis of my skin pigmentation, country of origin, preferance in food, or my native tongue. Its not the "American Dream" when it is just handed to me.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #29
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by MulletMan) As for affirmaive action, that to me, seems like the biggest slap in the face. Im a minority and I am completely against affirmative action. I dont see why I have to be awarded special treatment on the basis of my skin pigmentation, country of origin, preferance in food, or my native tongue. Its not the "American Dream" when it is just handed to me.

Wow, that was worded beautifully.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #30
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) What do you guys think about all the gay/lesbian weddings that are now getting legalized?

Personally, I think that two girls shouldn't turn to each other without giving me a chance. However, after giving me a chance, well... that's a different story.

And the thought of two guys together is just gross.

H-D
why do you guys always say that!! gay Girls its Like Whoooooooooooooo!! And then the gay guy thing is just gross
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything