++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Voice Your Opinion: What should happen to Terri Schiavo?

I've been following this story for a while now, and personally, I don't see why there is such a big controversy over it. Things like this happen every day in our hospitals. I mean, the woman has been in a vegatative state for 15 years, being kept alive by a feeding tube. The doctors have even said years ago that there was no chance for recovery. Why are people holding onto a false hope? It's like us still believing that Creed is going to get back together soon. Her brain damage is so severe that even if something did happen, she would have no sence of where she was, or even who she was. She sure as hell wouldn't even be able to talk or move.

A bunch of protesters are not letting the family do what they need to do. They're all a punch of fools who seem to have nothing better to do than stand on a sidewalk and protest something they know nothing about. Terri has been off of her feeding tube for 12 days now, and will die in the next few days if they're not reinserted.

It seems to me, that her husband Michael Schiavo, is the only one with his head on his shoulders. He is doing what is in her best interest instead of his own. It reminds me of what my grandmother said when she was in the hospital dying. She said to "Just stick a needle in me like you would a sick dog." Do what is in the best interest of the patient. Don't force her to keep living. Michael has also requested an autopsy to be done (as agreed upon by both sides) after she dies to prove that she would never recover, and then have her body cremated. Which, IMO, would be best so other people couldn't f*** with her body and try to figure stuff out about what maybe could have been done or whatever. If she were burried, as her parents want, I think it could create all these possibilities for future problems.

Her heart stopped beating for a period in 1990 because of a chemical imbalance that caused this brain damage. If she were magically brought back to life, the imbalance would still be there, and this could happen again. Her brain is so fried that because of the extent of the damage, the only thing that would show she was alive would be her heart beat.

My college president's wife was taken off life support and had her feeding tubes removed after suffering a series of strokes two weeks ago, and not a damn person protested that.

My message to her family: There is no point to keeping someone artificially alive. So do the right thing, and pull the plug, and let her rest. Don't let your own wants take presidence over anothers' feelings and desires. Nobody wants to lose their child, but some people have to. Stop thinking of nobody but yourself.

Well, there's my rant. What do you all think?

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I don't really know much about,not enough to give an opinion anyways.
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
My opinion on the issue:

She probably has no chance to recover and it's a lost cause to keep her alive in that state. However, there's more to the story.

She had no living will so the issue of keeping or removing the feeding tube lies with the person most responsible for her - her husband. The problem with this mess is that her husband moved on long ago and started another family with another woman. He just never got a divorce from Terri. Why hasn't he gotten a divorce? There has to be a reason... maybe a life insurance policy? Some other kind of fortune? I have no idea, but it just doesn't make sense. He has and wants nothing to do with Terri anymore, yet he keeps fighting the parents over their daughter.

What I think should happen is that custody of Terri should be handed over to the parents and let the parents do what they want with her. If they want to keep her feeding tube connected, let 'em. So what? As long as they cover the costs of care, what's the harm of that? Terri's "husband" should let go - like I said before, he's got nothing to do with her anymore. So why is he so intent on being involved now?

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
she's not really on life support although she does have a feeding tube inserted to keep her alive. its not as if her organs are no longer working and being kept artifically alive. i don't think because its not clear she has concious thought she should not be kept alive. i think its sad that once people (particulary the elderly) no longer are "useful members of society" they don't need to be kept alive. as steve said the husband's actions are making this even harder than it is. surely if there is any doubt whatsoever then we should be on the side of life.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 03-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
NeedforCreed
USER INFO »
Right On the Mark

Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) she's not really on life support although she does have a feeding tube inserted to keep her alive. its not as if her organs are no longer working and being kept artifically alive. i don't think because its not clear she has concious thought she should not be kept alive. i think its sad that once people (particulary the elderly) no longer are "useful members of society" they don't need to be kept alive. as steve said the husband's actions are making this even harder than it is. surely if there is any doubt whatsoever then we should be on the side of life.

Very true. What's the harm before all evidence is heard and all avenues are exhausted and as Steve stated her husband is pretty much so on paper only. Her parents should have more of a say in this.
Now and then I consider, my hesitation
The more the light shines through me
I pretend to close my eyes
The more the dark consumes me
I pretend I'm burning, burning bright

shinedown.com
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
I do find slightly ironic that Bush (George and Jeb) are so passionate about "saving life" yet didn't George preside over the highest rate of capital punishment in Texas during modern times?
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) My opinion on the issue:

She probably has no chance to recover and it's a lost cause to keep her alive in that state. However, there's more to the story.

She had no living will so the issue of keeping or removing the feeding tube lies with the person most responsible for her - her husband. The problem with this mess is that her husband moved on long ago and started another family with another woman. He just never got a divorce from Terri. Why hasn't he gotten a divorce? There has to be a reason... maybe a life insurance policy? Some other kind of fortune? I have no idea, but it just doesn't make sense. He has and wants nothing to do with Terri anymore, yet he keeps fighting the parents over their daughter.

What I think should happen is that custody of Terri should be handed over to the parents and let the parents do what they want with her. If they want to keep her feeding tube connected, let 'em. So what? As long as they cover the costs of care, what's the harm of that? Terri's "husband" should let go - like I said before, he's got nothing to do with her anymore. So why is he so intent on being involved now?
Really? Well, if he did get married to another woman without getting a divorce from his first wife, then the second marriage is not legal. It would be a common-law marriage, which would mean he's still the legal party over his wife. I don't know why he never divorced her. Maybe it was because she was already in this state, and knew what would happen if he did. (The same thing that's happening now.) He's been fighting for years to have her feeding tubes removed. After she dies he would be able to claim his current wife as a legal "wife." Some religions teach that divorce is an evil thing, not of Christ, and one must never divorce their spouse. Perhaps that's why he's never divorced her. I don't remember what religion he is, but I believe her parents are Roman Catholic, which teach some things like that.

I guess really there's no point on speculating why he never did it. We'll never fully know. I just think it's pathetic that so many people are getting involved and protesting the whole thing, especially when about 99% never even heard of her until this thing started. People are trying to make decisions that they have no say it. It's not their place to judge if it's murder.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 03-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JulieCitySlicker) I don't really know much about,not enough to give an opinion anyways.
Me either but i will....I Say Let Her Go... doctors like to use for a lab Rat
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #9
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) Some religions teach that divorce is an evil thing, not of Christ, and one must never divorce their spouse. Perhaps that's why he's never divorced her.

That's a possible reason but I don't buy it. It's also a sin to have sex outside of marriage so if he was holding on for religious reasons, he commited a comparable sin while doing so.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
goddess_bb
USER INFO »
I think you all need to give the husband a break here...his reasons for not divorcing Terri are his own, who are we to judge. It has been established that he has been in another relationship for 10 of the 15 Terri has been in this state. I say who can blame him? He has a right to a life! He didin't do this to his wife and he has stood by her in his way... he is still there. Has anyone thought of the medical expences that have accumilated over 15 years, who is responsible for those...her husband...
I think her family is being incrediably selfish, they are hanging on when they should just let her go and be in peace. Maybe at least in heaven she could walk and talk..function.
Someone tries to hide himself
Down inside himself he prays
Someone swears his true love
Until the end of time
Another runs away
Separate or united
Empty or insane
And be yourself is all that you can do
All that you can do

Be Yourself~Audioslave

~Ignore me, I dare you~
Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
goddess_bb, when Terri first developed this condition, the husband sued a drug company (claiming the drugs in combination with her eating disorder caused improper chemical levels in her body). He won the lawsuit and from that X dollars have been used to pay for the care. The lawsuit strictly specified the amount to be used for her care - he never touched that portion of the lawsuit. [this is what I've gathered from watching tv coverage of this from various networks]

I agree that he has a right to move on with his life, but if he doesn't want to be a part of her's anymore, then he should get a divorce, especially 10 years later...

Old 03-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I don't know, I think that people are making to big of a deal of this. If I were in that situtation, let me go. Or let the dogs go at me. If her husband said she has to go, then his desision should stand. Other relatives should have have a say in it. With that being said, once the husband (or wife) remarries, thier rights on this subject should be revoked.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 AM   #13
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
I haven't really been following her story, and it's only been featured on New Zealand news a couple of times. In my opinion, her condition saddens me, how can you want to fight for your life when there is nothing to it, as horrible as that says it's true. She has nothing, I think there is no point in living when you are in the state that she is.

I say just let her rest in peace, but I guess if her family wants to keep her alive everybody has to respect that, but to me it's cruel.
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 03-31-2005, 04:23 AM   #14
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by - hayley -) I haven't really been following her story, and it's only been featured on New Zealand news a couple of times. In my opinion, her condition saddens me, how can you want to fight for your life when there is nothing to it, as horrible as that says it's true. She has nothing, I think there is no point in living when you are in the state that she is.

I say just let her rest in peace, but I guess if her family wants to keep her alive everybody has to respect that, but to me it's cruel.

You have a point but isn't the result a slippery slope? What kind of life does the 90 year old man have who can't feed or bathe himself but is otherwise functioning fairly normally? What is the limit? Are we no longer human when we can't do things for ourselves? If so when does a baby become human? Human babies are COMPLETELY defenceless for at least the first year of their lives if not longer.

As I said I think Bush is a massive hyprocrite because he was governor when his state killed so many albeit convicted men and he led his country into an immoral war. I don't know it saddens me to think of any friends or relatives in the state she is in.......
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) Are we no longer human when we can't do things for ourselves? If so when does a baby become human? Human babies are COMPLETELY defenceless for at least the first year of their lives if not longer.

I don't think you can compare the two because although a baby is defenseless in their beginning, they are also developing. Someone in a persistant vegetative state is not developing...