++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 02-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #61
shiver
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Proof that Christianity is the Way

I keep reading you guys talking about no proof for a worldwide flood, but I have read stories of a worldwide flood coming from many other cultures. From what I can recall I remember the Biblical story (the most famous) a Viking story and an Indian (or Native American if you please). I think there are a couple more I am forgetting, but do you think these cultures just happened to coincidently make up a big flood story? Just something to chew on.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #62
RalphyS
USER INFO »

There is no scientific proof for a worldwide flood, sure there are lots of ancient cultures that have myths of such a flood, because guess what, floods occur all over the world.

What if you lived in a primitive culture, centuries BC, and a flood like the tsunami of 2004 occurred? Stories would arise about the big flood, oral traditions about it would develop and everytime it gets a little more embellished, our whole village was flooded, entire villages were flooded, the whole country was flooded, the whole world was flooded and at that time someone writes it down, some cultures experience other floods and the same things happen. So this is the most likely story of how myths about big floods around the globe have evolved!

But if you ask scientists if there is any proof that the entire world was flooded at one time, nope, sorry.

The most probable flood that created the myth in the bible, as I've read somewhere, is the flood that created the Black Sea.

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl
Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #63
shiver
USER INFO »

Actually there is scientific proof that much of the world was underwater at some point in time.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #64
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by shiver) Actually there is scientific proof that much of the world was underwater at some point in time.

oh please present this so-called evidence Shiver because I have heard this one many many times who have yet to give any evidence. so please show us.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #65
shiver
USER INFO »

Well check out a map of the US. Find Oklahoma. You might notice how it is plenty far from any ocean. It used to be underwater at one point. Their are fossils of plants and tiny organisms that lived in the ocean.
I've seen them. Used to have some. We learned about it in science class. Do I have actual physical proof to show you. Not at the moment. Not even sure that I have the fossils around anymore. But again, plenty real.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #66
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

I find it reather odd that when I ask for evidence all of a sudden the evidence you had is gone you have no idea how many times people have said that to me so I am inclined to believe that you never had the fossil to begin with
Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #67
shiver
USER INFO »

That's fine. People move, stuff gets tossed.
If you do some digging you can find it on the net.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #68
SecretWeapon
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) oh please present this so-called evidence Shiver because I have heard this one many many times who have yet to give any evidence. so please show us.

Ok, this new trick is called logic

Did you know that we don't use under-sea paleantological digs to find
remains of prehistoric ocean life? It's true. We find to say the least,
very many fossil remains of extinct plants and organisms on land.
There are helix fossils here in OK, at least severel inches-a foot long,
I've seen them. Not that you would believe me, I just thought I'd throw
that little piece of information in there. We find the skeletons of extict
large aquatic animals in deserts, and other unlikely places, do a little
research on it, it's easy to find where we've found pleisiosaur and
ichthyosaur remains. And while you're at it, look up what chalk is made
of and where that comes from ...
Old 02-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #69
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by SecretWeapon) Ok, this new trick is called logic

Did you know that we don't use under-sea paleantological digs to find
remains of prehistoric ocean life? It's true. We find to say the least,
very many fossil remains of extinct plants and organisms on land.
There are helix fossils here in OK, at least severel inches-a foot long,
I've seen them. Not that you would believe me, I just thought I'd throw
that little piece of information in there. We find the skeletons of extict
large aquatic animals in deserts, and other unlikely places, do a little
research on it, it's easy to find where we've found pleisiosaur and
ichthyosaur remains. And while you're at it, look up what chalk is made
of and where that comes from ...

Yes I know logic... I just find it funny that a Christian would say that since to by in to Christianity you must ignore all logic.

Yeah I once saw a pig fly too doesn’t make it so because its not referenceable or factual or falsifiable now when you have something like that that is called a theory or evidence at this point you have presented none, nothing more that anecdotal evidence

I have done my research now if you have a known scientific source that you would like to sight then I will read it but until then just shut the fuck up.

Last edited by Lunar Shadow : 02-17-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #70
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: to by in to Christianity you must ignore all logic.

Funny. Your entire post was lacking in logic, evidence, tact, and any sort of presentable argument whatsoever...

And yet Christians renounce their logic? He presented you with evidence, and you ignored it. The burden of proof is on you to show why this evidence does not at least give a hint that at sometime many areas that are currently not underwater were at one point. Why is that hard to believe? It doesn't necessarily prove that a Biblical-size flood happened but it isn't meant to. It is easy to imagine that the flood did not cover the ENTIRE Earth but obviously many parts of the earth currently above water were not at one period in time.

A second alternative would be to show that his evidence is somehow faulty. I am not an expert on the subject, but his evidence seems credible. If it isn't, surely it would be easy to show it's faultiness? I would be intrigued in that debate, despite my lack of vested interest in either side.

Instead of shouting scurrilous diatribes at people and trying to be a big jerk, how about just deal with the argument? A few times you probably do have good arguments but people just ignore them, because no one likes to be attacked. I mean, do you seriously think you are going to get anyone to listen to you by claiming that they have all abandoned logic? Instead of claiming it, show it--preferably charitably but that is not necessary. Politely would be good enough. Or, if you insist on vituperations, at least show evidence with it. Might make the argument more interesting.

Last edited by uncertaindrumer : 02-19-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #71
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Well welcome back uncertaindrumer

response coming soon
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #72
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Funny. Your entire post was lacking in logic, evidence, tact, and any sort of presentable argument whatsoever...

Here is a small example of the illogicalness of Christianity.

DT 6:5, MT 22:37, MK 12:30, LK 10:27 Love God.
DT 6:13, PS 33:8, 34:9, 111:10, 115:13, 128:1, 147:11, PR 8:13, 16:6, 19:23, 22:4, IS 8:13, LK 12:5, 1PE 2:17 Fear God.
1JN 4:18 There is no fear in love.

or

PR 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
1KI 22:23, 2CH 18:22, JE 4:10, JE 20:7, EZ 14:9 God deceives some of the prophets.

or

JE 8:8 The scribes falsify the word.
2TH 2:11-12 God deceives the wicked (to be able to condemn them).
(Note: Every word of God cannot prove true if God deceives anyone at all; the Bible cannot be trusted if the scribes falsify the word. The first reference is mutually exclusive with the other three. Thus, the Bible cannot be the perfect work of a perfect and loving God since one or more of the above references is obviously untrue. Note also: Some versions use the word "persuade" rather than "deceives." The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

or

EZ 20:25 God says that he intentionally gave out bad laws. (This means that God-given laws or commandments are sometimes suspect.)

or

LK 1:26-38 The angel who appears to Mary to foretell the birth of Jesus says that Jesus will be given the throne of David, that he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and that his kingdom will never end. (None of this took place nor can it now be fulfilled.)

or

MT 16:28, MK 9:1, LK 9:27 Jesus says that some of his listeners will not taste death before he comes again in his kingdom. This was said almost 2000 years ago. (Note: This and many other passages indicate that Jesus was to come again in a relatively short period of time and not just "quickly" as present day Biblicists assert. All of his listeners are now dead, yet Jesus has not come again in his kingdom. All of the alleged words of Jesus recorded in the Bible are therefore suspect.)

or

MK 16:17-18 A believer can handle snakes or drink poison and not experience any harm. (Note: Many unfortunate believers have died as a result of handling snakes and drinking poison. This kind of assertion negates the Bible as a useful guidebook for life.)

source
http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...gan/intro.html

Quote: And yet Christians renounce their logic? He presented you with evidence, and you ignored it. The burden of proof is on you to show why this evidence does not at least give a hint that at sometime many areas that are currently not underwater were at one point. Why is that hard to believe? It doesn't necessarily prove that a Biblical-size flood happened but it isn't meant to. It is easy to imagine that the flood did not cover the ENTIRE Earth but obviously many parts of the earth currently above water were not at one period in time.

What evidence there was no source quoted I mean if I were to say the shy is blue because a smurf pissed in it once upon a time is that considered evidence? No I would have to provide a notable scientific source he never provided a source so he got no response from me (and if he did provide a source I must have missed it but I never did see a source.)

Quote: A second alternative would be to show that his evidence is somehow faulty. I am not an expert on the subject, but his evidence seems credible. If it isn't, surely it would be easy to show it's faultiness? I would be intrigued in that debate, despite my lack of vested interest in either side.
Yes this type of argument has been made before and has been debunked before and if you would really like I can dig the link back up for you if you would so like (yes I would do that for you)
Quote: Instead of shouting scurrilous diatribes at people and trying to be a big jerk, how about just deal with the argument? A few times you probably do have good arguments but people just ignore them, because no one likes to be attacked. I mean, do you seriously think you are going to get anyone to listen to you by claiming that they have all abandoned logic? Instead of claiming it, show it--preferably charitably but that is not necessary. Politely would be good enough. Or, if you insist on vituperations, at least show evidence with it. Might make the argument more interesting.

Yes this type of argument has been made before and has been debunked before and if you would really like I can dig the link back up for you if you would so like (yes I would do that for you) When these people actually learn to back their assertions up with evidence I will gladly challenge them with counter evidence (I have said this before). But some of the things they are claiming require mental gymnastics beyond any logic and reason. I am not trying to be a "big jerk" it comes naturally (j/k) but seriously I will admit I do not take kindly to people spouting what they believe to be true off the top of their head, I (as I have said already in this post) Like to see some corroboration.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #73
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Anarkist) Here is a small example of the illogicalness of Christianity.

DT 6:5, MT 22:37, MK 12:30, LK 10:27 Love God.
DT 6:13, PS 33:8, 34:9, 111:10, 115:13, 128:1, 147:11, PR 8:13, 16:6, 19:23, 22:4, IS 8:13, LK 12:5, 1PE 2:17 Fear God.
1JN 4:18 There is no fear in love.

Different uses of the same word. You know that "muse" can mean a thoughtful state or, on a completely different note, a source of inspiration? In the same way, you can use fear in different ways. The Christian idea of "fearing" God is not trembling in anticipation of the next great terrible catyclysm.

Quote: PR 30:5 Every word of God proves true.
1KI 22:23, 2CH 18:22, JE 4:10, JE 20:7, EZ 14:9 God deceives some of the prophets.

or

JE 8:8 The scribes falsify the word.
2TH 2:11-12 God deceives the wicked (to be able to condemn them).
(Note: Every word of God cannot prove true if God deceives anyone at all; the Bible cannot be trusted if the scribes falsify the word. The first reference is mutually exclusive with the other three. Thus, the Bible cannot be the perfect work of a perfect and loving God since one or more of the above references is obviously untrue. Note also: Some versions use the word "persuade" rather than "deceives." The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

As a note on the scribes: the idea is that the inspired word of God is not reliant upon scribes but upon the Holy Spirit. Now of course you do not believe in the Holy Spirit but that is the thought process behind a Christian's reasoning. Also, the context of that passage is that the Scribes reject the Word of the Lord. By writing contrary to the World of the Lord they falsify the Word. That is no different than a heretic preaching contrary to the Gospel of Jesus. Does tha heretics error make the original gospel forfeit? I would think not.

or

Quote: EZ 20:25 God says that he intentionally gave out bad laws. (This means that God-given laws or commandments are sometimes suspect.)

Again you seem to have trouble wrapping your head around the concept of a just God. This makes sense. The Christian God is a very difficult One to accept. This is only His justice at work, repaying those evil to Him. It does not make for any break of logic.

Quote: LK 1:26-38 The angel who appears to Mary to foretell the birth of Jesus says that Jesus will be given the throne of David, that he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and that his kingdom will never end. (None of this took place nor can it now be fulfilled.)

I believe you are making the fundamentalist mistake of interpreting everything literally. Even THEN, it can still be fulfilled and already has been; Jesus' kingdom (the kingdom of Heaven) is at hand. He is risen. He is king. You can't see Him, but that doesn't negate his existance. As for the "throne of David", well first of all, that could mean many thing,s but secondly, if we take it literally, at Jesus' second coming He would than assume the "Throne of David".

Quote: MT 16:28, MK 9:1, LK 9:27 Jesus says that some of his listeners will not taste death before he comes again in his kingdom. This was said almost 2000 years ago. (Note: This and many other passages indicate that Jesus was to come again in a relatively short period of time and not just "quickly" as present day Biblicists assert. All of his listeners are now dead, yet Jesus has not come again in his kingdom. All of the alleged words of Jesus recorded in the Bible are therefore suspect.)

Coming into His kingdom refers to His resurrection, not his second coming. We are getting into areas here where, doctrinally, a lot of Christians disagree, but still, I think most can agree He was referring to His Resurrection.

Quote: MK 16:17-18 A believer can handle snakes or drink poison and not experience any harm. (Note: Many unfortunate believers have died as a result of handling snakes and drinking poison. This kind of assertion negates the Bible as a useful guidebook for life.)

Come on. Seriously. You have better arguments than this.

Quote: What evidence there was no source quoted I mean if I were to say the shy is blue because a smurf pissed in it once upon a time is that considered evidence? No I would have to provide a notable scientific source he never provided a source so he got no response from me (and if he did provide a source I must have missed it but I never did see a source.)

Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree here. I think a lot of internet "sources" are untrustworhty at best. Yes, obviously proof is needed but if it is an assertion he makes, one has to prove his assertion is wrong. Well, I suppose one doesn't HAVE to, one doesn't HAVE to argue at all, lol. But to further the discussion it would seem useful. I don't think his evidence was wrong. I know we do find many of the things he has reffered to in land areas. I also know that a lot of the Earth that is now land used to be underwater. I also know that the problem is not that science hasn't "proved" a flood. I need no proof. As long as science has not proven there never was a flood, I'm fine. And science will never prove that, I believe.

Quote: Yes this type of argument has been made before and has been debunked before and if you would really like I can dig the link back up for you if you would so like (yes I would do that for you)

Argument debunked? How can one debunk the argument that there *might* have formerly been area of land now exposed, underwater? Maybe we are just not talking about the same things...

Quote: When these people actually learn to back their assertions up with evidence I will gladly challenge them with counter evidence (I have said this before). But some of the things they are claiming require mental gymnastics beyond any logic and reason. I am not trying to be a "big jerk" it comes naturally (j/k) but seriously I will admit I do not take kindly to people spouting what they believe to be true off the top of their head, I (as I have said already in this post) Like to see some corroboration.

Well seeing as this is a Faith based religion, no scientific evidence has to be offered to prove its truth. It can't. science doesn't DO that. If the burden of proof is on someone, it is the other half who has to prove unequivically. that the believer's idea of events could not have happened.

Anyway, unfortunately, if posts are going to be this long all the time I won't be able to post much, but hopefully I can contribute my two cents here and there. If I missed something, I apologize. Don't have time like I used to.

Cheers everyone.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:44 AM   #74
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

I do have one question did you even bother reading the link because there are many many many more contadictions

I.E.

GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day.

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.

GE 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created.

GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.

GE 1:28 God encourages reproduction.
LE 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

GE 1:31 God was pleased with his creation.
GE 6:5-6 God was not pleased with his creation.
(Note: That God should be displeased is inconsistent with the concept of omniscience.)

GE 2:4, 4:26, 12:8, 22:14-16, 26:25 God was already known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) much earlier than the time of Moses.
EX 6:2-3 God was first known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) at the time of the Egyptian Bondage, during the life of Moses.

GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.

GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

GE 4:4-5 God prefers Abel's offering and has no regard for Cain's.
2CH 19:7, AC 10:34, RO 2:11 God shows no partiality. He treats all alike.

GE 4:9 God asks Cain where his brother Able is.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden from his view.

GE 4:15, DT 32:19-27, IS 34:8 God is a vengeful god.
EX 15:3, IS 42:13, HE 12:29 God is a warrior. God is a consuming fire.
EX 20:5, 34:14, DT 4:24, 5:9, 6:15, 29:20, 32:21 God is a jealous god.
LE 26:7-8, NU 31:17-18, DT 20:16-17, JS 10:40, JG 14:19, EZ 9:5-7 The Spirit of God is (sometimes) murder and killing.
NU 25:3-4, DT 6:15, 9:7-8, 29:20, 32:21, PS 7:11, 78:49, JE 4:8, 17:4, 32:30-31, ZP 2:2 God is angry. His anger is sometimes fierce.
2SA 22:7-8 (KJV) "I called to the Lord; ... he heard my voice; ... The earth trembled and quaked, ... because he was angry. Smoke came from his nostrils. Consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it."
EZ 6:12, NA 1:2, 6 God is jealous and furious. He reserves wrath for, and takes revenge on, his enemies. "... who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and rocks are thrown down by him."
2CO 13:11, 14, 1JN 4:8, 16 God is love.
GA 5:22-23 The fruit of the Spirit of God is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

GE 4:16 Cain went away (or out) from the presence of the Lord.
JE 23:23-24 A man cannot hide from God. God fills heaven and earth.

GE 6:4 There were Nephilim (giants) before the Flood.
GE 7:21 All creatures other than Noah and his clan were annihilated by the Flood.
NU 13:33 There were Nephilim after the Flood.

GE 6:6. EX 32:14, NU 14:20, 1SA 15:35, 2SA 24:16 God does change his mind.
NU 23:19-20, 1SA 15:29, JA 1:17 God does not change his mind.

GE 6:19-22, 7:8-9, 7:14-16 Two of each kind are to be taken, and are taken, aboard Noah's Ark.
GE 7:2-5 Seven pairs of some kinds are to be taken (and are taken) aboard the Ark.

GE 7:1 Noah was righteous.
JB 1:1,8, JB 2:3 Job was righteous.
LK 1:6 Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous.
JA 5:16 Some men are righteous, (which makes their prayers effective).
1JN 3:6-9 Christians become righteous (or else they are not really Christians).
RO 3:10, 3:23, 1JN 1:8-10 No one was or is righteous.

GE 7:7 Noah and his clan enter the Ark.
GE 7:13 They enter the Ark (again?).

GE 11:7-9 God sows discord.
PR 6:16-19 God hates anyone who sows discord.

GE 11:9 At Babel, the Lord confused the language of the whole world.
1CO 14:33 Paul says that God is not the author of confusion.

GE 11:12 Arpachshad [Arphaxad] was the father of Shelah.
LK 3:35-36 Cainan was the father of Shelah. Arpachshad was the grandfather of Shelah.

GE 11:26 Terah was 70 years old when his son Abram was born.
GE 11:32 Terah was 205 years old when he died (making Abram 135 at the time).
GE 12:4, AC 7:4 Abram was 75 when he left Haran. This was after Terah died. Thus, Terah could have been no more than 145 when he died; or Abram was only 75 years old after he had lived 135 years.

GE 12:7, 17:1, 18:1, 26:2, 32:30, EX 3:16, 6:2-3, 24:9-11, 33:11, NU 12:7-8, 14:14, JB 42:5, AM 7:7-8, 9:1 God is seen.
EX 33:20, JN 1:18, 1JN 4:12 God is not seen. No one can see God's face and live. No one has ever seen him.

GE 10:5, 20, 31 There were many languages before the Tower of Babel.
GE 11:1 There was only one language before the Tower of Babel.

GE 15:9, EX 20:24, 29:10-42, LE 1:1-7:38, NU 28:1-29:40, God details sacrificial offerings.
JE 7:21-22 God says he did no such thing.

GE 16:15, 21:1-3, GA 4:22 Abraham had two sons, Ishmael and Isaac.
HE 11:17 Abraham had only one son.

GE 17:1, 35:11, 1CH 29:11-12, LK 1:37 God is omnipotent. Nothing is impossible with (or for) God.
JG 1:19 Although God was with Judah, together they could not defeat the plainsmen because the latter had iron chariots.

GE 17:7, 10-11 The covenant of circumcision is to be everlasting.
GA 6:15 It is of no consequence.

GE 17:8 God promises Abraham the land of Canaan as an "everlasting possession." GE 25:8, AC 7:2-5, HE 11:13 Abraham died with the promise unfulfilled.

GE 17:15-16, 20:11-12, 22:17 Abraham and his half sister, Sarai, are married and receive God's blessings.
LE 20:17, DT 27:20-23 Incest is wrong.

GE 18:20-21 God decides to "go down" to see what is going on.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden from his view.

GE 19:30-38 While he is drunk, Lot's two daughters "lie with him," become pregnant, and give birth to his offspring.
2PE 2:7 Lot was "just" and "righteous."

GE 22:1-12, DT 8:2 God tempts (tests) Abraham and Moses.
JG 2:22 God himself says that he does test (tempt).
1CO 10:13 Paul says that God controls the extent of our temptations.
JA 1:13 God tests (tempts) no one.

GE 27:28 "May God give you ... an abundance of grain and new wine."
DT 7:13 If they follow his commandments, God will bless the fruit of their wine.
PS 104:15 God gives us wine to gladden the heart.
JE 13:12 "... every bottle shall be filled with wine."
JN 2:1-11 According to the author of John, Jesus' first miracle was turning water to wine.
RO 14:21 It is good to refrain from drinking wine.

GE 35:10 God says Jacob is to be called Jacob no longer; henceforth his name is Israel.
GE 46:2 At a later time, God himself uses the name Jacob.

GE 36:11 The sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho, Gatam, and Kenaz.
GE 36:15-16 Teman, Omar, Zepho, Kenaz.
1CH 1:35-36 Teman, Omar, Zephi, Gatam, Kenaz, Timna, and Amalek.

GE 49:2-28 The fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel are: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Zebulun, Issachar, Dan, Gad, Asher, Naphtali, Joseph, and Benjamin.
RE 7:4-8 (Leaves out the tribe of Dan, but adds Manasseh.)

GE 50:13 Jacob was buried in a cave at Machpelah bought from Ephron the Hittite.
AC 7:15-16 He was buried in the sepulchre at Shechem, bought from the sons of Hamor.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:47 AM   #75
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »

EX 3:1 Jethro was the father-in-law of Moses.
NU 10:29, JG 4:11 (KJV) Hobab was the father-in-law of Moses.

EX 3:20-22, DT 20:13-17 God instructs the Israelites to despoil the Egyptians, to plunder their enemies.
EX 20:15, 17, LE 19:13 God prohibits stealing, defrauding, or robbing a neighbor.

EX 4:11 God decides who will be dumb, deaf, blind, etc.
2CO 13:11, 14, 1JN 4:8, 16 God is a god of love.

EX 9:3-6 God destroys all the cattle (including horses) belonging to the Egyptians.
EX 9:9-11 The people and the cattle are afflicted with boils.
EX 12:12, 29 All the first-born of the cattle of the Egyptians are destroyed.
EX 14:9 After having all their cattle destroyed, then afflicted with boils, and then their first-born cattle destroyed, the Egyptians pursue Moses on horseback.

EX 12:13 The Israelites have to mark their houses with blood in order for God to see which houses they occupy and "pass over" them.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden from God.

EX 12:37, NU 1:45-46 The number of men of military age who take part in the Exodus is given as more than 600,000. Allowing for women, children, and older men would probably mean that a total of about 2,000,000 Israelites left Egypt.
1KI 20:15 All the Israelites, including children, number only 7000 at a later time.

EX 15:3, 17:16, NU 25:4, 32:14, IS 42:13 God is a man of war--he is fierce and angry.
RO 15:33, 2CO 13:11, 14, 1JN 4:8, 16 God is a god of love and peace.

EX 20:1-17 God gave the law directly to Moses (without using an intermediary).
GA 3:19 The law was ordained through angels by a mediator (an intermediary).

EX 20:4 God prohibits the making of any graven images whatsoever.
EX 25:18 God enjoins the making of two graven images.

EX 20:5, 34:7, NU 14:18, DT 5:9, IS 14:21-22 Children are to suffer for their parent's sins.
DT 24:16, EZ 18:19-20 Children are not to suffer for their parent's sins.

EX 20:8-11, 31:15-17, 35:1-3 No work is to be done on the Sabbath, not even lighting a fire. The commandment is permanent, and death is required for infractions.
MK 2:27-28 Jesus says that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath (after his disciples were criticized for breaking the Sabbath).
RO 14:5, CN 2:14-16 Paul says the Sabbath commandment was temporary, and to decide for yourself regarding its observance.

EX 20:12, DT 5:16, MT 15:4, 19:19, MK 7:10, 10:19, LK 18:20 Honor your father and your mother is one of the ten commandments. It is reinforced by Jesus.
MT 10:35-37, LK 12:51-53, 14:26 Jesus says that he has come to divide families; that a man's foes will be those of his own household; that you must hate your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, and even your own life to be a disciple.
MT 23:9 Jesus says to call no man on earth your father.

EX 20:13, DT 5:17, MK 10:19, LK 18:20, RO 13:9, JA 2:11 God prohibits killing.
GE 34:1-35:5 God condones trickery and killing.
EX 32:27, DT 7:2, 13:15, 20:1-18 God orders killing.
2KI 19:35 An angel of the Lord slaughters 185,000 men.
(Note: See Atrocities section for many more examples.)

EX 20:14 God prohibits adultery.
HO 1:2 God instructs Hosea to "take a wife of harlotry."

EX 21:23-25, LE 24:20, DT 19:21 A life for a life, an eye for an eye, etc.
MT 5:38-44, LK 6:27-29 Turn the other cheek. Love your enemies.

EX 23:7 God prohibits the killing of the innocent.
NU 31:17-18, DT 7:2, JS 6:21-27, 7:19-26, 8:22-25, 10:20, 40, 11:8-15, 20, JG 11:30-39, 21:10-12, 1SA 15:3 God orders or approves the complete extermination of groups of people which include innocent women and/or children.
(Note: See Atrocities section for many other examples of the killing of innocents.)

EX 34:6, DT 7:9-10, TS 1:2 God is faithful and truthful. He does not lie.
NU 14:30 God breaks his promise.

1KI 22:21-23 God condones a spirit of deception.

2TH 2:11-12 God deludes people, making them believe what is false, so as to be able to condemn them. (Note: some versions use the word persuade here. The context makes clear, however, that deception is involved.)

EX 34:6-7, JS 24:19, 1CH 16:34 God is faithful, holy and good.
IS 45:6-7, LA 3:8, AM 3:6 God is responsible for evil.

EX 34:6-7, HE 9:27 God remembers sin, even when it has been forgiven.
JE 31:34 God does not remember sin when it has been forgiven.

LE 3:17 God himself prohibits forever the eating of blood and fat.
MT 15:11, CN 2:20-22 Jesus and Paul say that such rules don't matter--they are only human injunctions.

LE 19:18, MT 22:39 Love your neighbor [as much as] yourself.
1CO 10:24 Put your neighbor ahead of yourself.

LE 21:10 The chief priest is not to rend his clothes.
MT 26:65, MK 14:63 He does so during the trial of Jesus.

LE 25:37, PS 15:1, 5 It is wrong to lend money at interest.
MT 25:27, LK 19:23-27 It is wrong to lend money without interest.

NU 11:33 God inflicts sickness.
JB 2:7 Satan inflicts sickness.

NU 15:24-28 Sacrifices can, in at least some case, take away sin.
HE 10:11 They never take away sin.

NU 25:9 24,000 died in the plague.
1CO 10:8 23,000 died in the plague.

NU 30:2 God enjoins the making of vows (oaths).
MT 5:33-37 Jesus forbids doing so, saying that they arise from evil (or the Devil).

NU 33:38 Aaron died on Mt. Hor.
DT 10:6 Aaron died in Mosera.

NU 33:41-42 After Aaron's death, the Israelites journeyed from Mt. Hor, to Zalmonah, to Punon, etc.
DT 10:6-7 It was from Mosera, to Gudgodah, to Jotbath.

DT 6:15, 9:7-8, 29:20, 32:21 God is sometimes angry.
MT 5:22 Anger is a sin.

DT 7:9-10 God destroys his enemies.
MT 5:39-44 Do not resist your enemies. Love them.

DT 18:20-22 A false prophet is one whose words do not come true. Death is required.
EZ 14:9 A prophet who is deceived, is deceived by God himself. Death is still required.

DT 23:1 A castrate may not enter the assembly of the Lord.
IS 56:4-5 Some castrates will receive special rewards.

DT 23:1 A castrate may not enter the assembly of the Lord.
MT 19:12 Men are encouraged to consider making themselves castrates for the sake of the Kingdom of God.

DT 24:1-5 A man can divorce his wife simply because she displeases him and both he and his wife can remarry.
MK 10:2-12 Divorce is wrong, and to remarry is to commit adultery.

DT 24:16, 2KI 14:6, 2CH 25:4, EZ 18:20 Children are not to suffer for their parent's sins.
RO 5:12, 19, 1CO 15:22 Death is passed to all men by the sin of Adam.

DT 30:11-20 It is possible to keep the law.
RO 3:20-23 It is not possible to keep the law.

JS 11:20 God shows no mercy to some.
LK 6:36, JA 5:11 God is merciful.

JG 4:21 Sisera was sleeping when Jael killed him.
JG 5:25-27 Sisera was standing.

JS 10:38-40 Joshua himself captured Debir.
JG 1:11-15 It was Othniel, who thereby obtained the hand of Caleb's daughter, Achsah.

1SA 8:2-22 Samuel informs God as to what he has heard from others.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees and hears everything.

1SA 9:15-17 The Lord tells Samuel that Saul has been chosen to lead the Israelites and will save them from the Philistines.
1SA 15:35 The Lord is sorry that he has chosen Saul.
1SA 31:4-7 Saul commits suicide and the Israelites are overrun by the Philistines.

1SA 15:7-8, 20 The Amalekites are utterly destroyed.
1SA 27:8-9 They are utterly destroyed (again?).
1SA 30:1, 17-18 They raid Ziklag and David smites them (again?).

1SA 16:10-11, 17:12 Jesse had seven sons plus David, or eight total.
1CH 2:13-15 He had seven total.

1SA 16:19-23 Saul knew David well before the latter's encounter with Goliath.
1SA 17:55-58 Saul did not know David at the time of his encounter with Goliath and had to ask about David's identity.

1SA 17:50 David killed Goliath with a slingshot.
1SA 17:51 David killed Goliath (again?) with a sword.

1SA 17:50 David killed Goliath.
2SA 21:19 Elhanan killed Goliath. (Note: Some translations insert the words "the brother of" before Elhanan. These are an addition to the earliest manuscripts in an apparent attempt to rectify this inconsistency.)

1SA 21:1-6 Ahimalech was high priest when David ate the bread.
MK 2:26 Abiathar was high priest at the time.

1SA 28:6 Saul inquired of the Lord, but received no answer.
1CH 10:13-14 Saul died for not inquiring of the Lord.

1SA 31:4-6 Saul killed himself by falling on his sword.
2SA 1:2-10 Saul, at his own request, was slain by an Amalekite.
2SA 21:12 Saul was killed by the Philistines on Gilboa.
1CH 10:13-14 Saul was slain by God.

2SA 6:23 Michal was childless.
2SA 21:8 (KJV) She had five sons.

2SA 24:1 The Lord inspired David to take the census.
1CH 21:1 Satan inspired the census.

2SA 24:9 The census count was: Israel 800,000 and Judah 500,000.
1CH 21:5 The census count was: Israel 1,100,000 and Judah 470,000.

2SA 24:10-17 David sinned in taking the census.
1KI 15:5 David's only sin (ever) was in regard to another matter.

2SA 24:24 David paid 50 shekels of silver for the purchase of a property.
1CH 21:22-25 He paid 600 shekels of gold.