++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 02-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
"No Child Left Behind"- PLEASE READ!

What is "No Child Left Behind?"

I'll tell you... it's a program they will go in affect in all high schools in the state of IL, next school year.

What is it SUPPOSED to be doing? It's supposed to be making teachers accountable for their students... making sure teachers give students everything they need to pass their classes...
sounds good doesn't it?

Here's the problem... THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY'RE DOING AT ALL.
It's a cover up. Basically... all they are doing is making it required for EVERY student to take English, Math, Science, and History. Every Year. For 4 Years.
Anyone see anything wrong w/ that... along w/ those you also have to take PE & have to have a lunch. so how many Electives are you allowed to take?
ONE
.... ONE
one elective.
you only get to pick one class you accually want.
This creates a problem for those who want to take Art, Music, And Foreign language classes... not to mention whatever other kind of computer- drafting- construction classes you may want.

So WHY exactly is the state of IL doing this?
TESTS
Tests that President Bush, a man that I admire- a man i respect, is making mandatory... If grades don't improve on this test... the schools funding gets cut...

As an artist I'm not taking this.
As a Musician I'm not taking this.

This is not just the State of IL... if it hasn't happened yet... it will be happening to Your State. Your Schools. Your Kids School.
Please don't let this happen.

PLEASE
VOTE
PLEASE
TELL YOUR CONGRESSMEN THAT YOU DON'T WANT THIS
PLEASE
IF YOU LIVE IN THE STATE OF IL
PLEASE
EMAIL OUR GOVERNOR AT [email protected]
PLEASE
TELL HIM THAT THE "No Child Left Behind" PROGRAM IS DESTROYING
OUR INDIVIDUALITY
... PLEASE

Sincerely, Matthew Schorr

Jesus + Guitars = Life

Last edited by TremontiWanaB : 02-08-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
RMadd
USER INFO »
Of course, then you have people that are dumb as shit in these areas b/c they didn't take those classes all the years they were offered and, instead, wasted their time taking Foods 1, 2, 3, and 4, and study halls (which, in my school, were largely a waste of time) every year, and other B.S. courses. I see where you're coming from, but being more knowledgeable in the four fields you mentioned will help our country out in the long run, seriously (I'm assuming one of the "History"s you mentioned is supposed to be English?). And this is necessary, as American students have consistently been less educated than, say, students from Japan, and other nations that don't come to mind at the moment. We have it very easy compared to them. Now, I'm sure this may be an inconvenience for your high school, but I was able to take Math, Science, History, and English for all four years in high school, and still able to "squeeze" in some study halls, geography, American government, psychology, business law, 2 years of Spanish, 4 years of band, and prolly one or two more I'm not remembering.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by BearFan) Now, I'm sure this may be an inconvenience for your high school, but I was able to take Math, Science, History, and English for all four years in high school, and still able to "squeeze" in some study halls, geography, American government, psychology, business law, 2 years of Spanish, 4 years of band, and prolly one or two more I'm not remembering.
But you weren't FORCED to do so. The Point is, That student's have no choice in what they want to take... cept for 4 classes your entire high school career. you can't take art and music in the same yr. a foriegn laguage and art. a foriegn language and music. some people would like to take only 3 years of science...(not take biology freshman yr) but if you take any math class that isn't the lowest math... you're forced to take biology. the fact is. they're taking our individuality over a stupid test that doesn't count for anything. I attend one of the best public schools in IL... and because of this Test... we're in jepardy of losing funding among other things...

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 02-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by TremontiWanaB) But you weren't FORCED to do so. The Point is, That student's have no choice in what they want to take... cept for 4 classes your entire high school career. you can't take art and music in the same yr. a foriegn laguage and art. a foriegn language and music. some people would like to take only 3 years of science...(not take biology freshman yr) but if you take any math class that isn't the lowest math... you're forced to take biology. the fact is. they're taking our individuality over a stupid test that doesn't count for anything. I attend one of the best public schools in IL... and because of this Test... we're in jepardy of losing funding among other things...
You're right, I wasn't forced. But I took them all four years because I knew what was good for me ("highly recommended" by colleges I was looking at). Many students, I would, are unlike me, as they take classes that are easy, and not beneficial to their knowledge in the future. I can see how you might be a bit ticked off b/c, it seems to me, your high school has some odd requirements for what classes you take. Or maybe it's just b/c I'm really tired and am not fully comprehending what you're saying about your high school's requirements. Just a question: how many classes do you have each semester/year?
And, at least at my high school, I know many people who did art and music in the same year, some even did choir on top of that, and were still able to take other required classes. And if your high school is, in fact, one of the best in your state (I don't doubt what you say), then you should have no trouble worrying about receiving funding. Missouri has had tests for a few years now (at least a few, I'm not sure how far back they go) that determine a school's level of funding. Problem is, most students either blew them off or didn't do well b/c their level of education wasn't where it needed to be, b/c they took blow-off classes instead of those that are truly important.

Last edited by BearFan : 02-08-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by BearFan) I can see how you might be a bit ticked off b/c, it seems to me, your high school has some odd requirements for what classes you take. Or maybe it's just b/c I'm really tired and am not fully comprehending what you're saying about your high school's requirements. Just a question: how many classes do you have each semester/year?
... it's EVERY high school... not just ours... and our school has no control over it...
we have seven periods, but only one will be elective. So you can only take one class that isn't Math, History, English, Science, Lunch, or P.E.
I don't think our school should have to suffer because we have very good students. it's not what you get on the test. it's how you improve as a whole every year. if you don't get better grades then the last yr. you don't get as much funding.
see... even tho everyone get's a good grade on the test.. it might not be as good as last yr...
there's more to it i think that i don't remember... cuz my art teacher told us about it on friday and i don't quite remember all the detail...
i apologize ... i prolly should have waited to get all the details b4 i posted this... but i decided i better post this while i still remember too...

PS.. i do appreciate your interest and comments on this subject Bearfan- they have helped me to hopefully clear this up a lil more for other readers.

Jesus + Guitars = Life

Last edited by TremontiWanaB : 02-08-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
PaulMcCoygirl
USER INFO »
I think that law really sucks. How can anyone do without art and music? I know I can't.

---------------------------------------------------

Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile,
and finds in your presence that life is worth while.
So when you are lonely, remember it's true
Somebody somewhere is thinking of you
Old 02-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by PaulMcCoygirl) I think that law really sucks. How can anyone do without art and music? I know I can't.
exactly what i'm saying... and if they keep this... after a while... they won't have very many ppl in college taking art... cuz no one will have takin it in HS and found out that they're accually good at it... and then they'll start takin art/music out of College...

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
PaulMcCoygirl
USER INFO »
oh by the way, matt, check your PM's.

---------------------------------------------------

Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile,
and finds in your presence that life is worth while.
So when you are lonely, remember it's true
Somebody somewhere is thinking of you
Old 02-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #9
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by TremontiWanaB) ... it's EVERY high school... not just ours... and our school has no control over it...
I'm well aware of that. But I think what I was saying that might your high school already have requirements in place (before this new law takes effect) that differ from other schools around the state? I know w/ Missouri, that schools set the requirements by themselves, not by a state mandate or anything. I had also forgotten that Illinois requires P.E. for all 4 years (I know this b/c my roommate's from Chicago). My high school only required one credit, and that's all I took. So I can see where you're coming from. Is it possible that you school might revise its requirements within the limits of the new state law so as to allow students more leeway?

Old 02-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by PaulMcCoygirl) I think that law really sucks. How can anyone do without art and music? I know I can't.
Quote: (Originally Posted by TremontiWanaB) exactly what i'm saying... and if they keep this... after a while... they won't have very many ppl in college taking art... cuz no one will have takin it in HS and found out that they're accually good at it... and then they'll start takin art/music out of College...
Hmmm... that's interesting. Though I'm not very well-versed in this topic, I've got 2 or 3thoughts on this. First, I don't think that the state would cut fine arts programs so significantly. There would be a great deal of outrage among the schools. I know of a few high schools over east of St. Louis, and at least one in Chicago, that have excellent band programs, and politicians, as stupid as they may seem, are not interested in alienating so many people. And that would most certainly not happen on the college level. Plus, interest in the fine arts, from my experience, is started around the 5th or 6th grade. I started playing my sax in 5th grade. All 6th graders at my middle school were required to take choir (it wasn't required), and there was a fine arts requirement outside of that. That said, many students are fairly set in knowing their talents with regard to fine arts by the time in high school. And even if they were given the chance to explore other fine arts while in high school, realistically, how many "normal" students would wish to take on the label of a "band geek", etc.?

Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 AM   #11
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
You weren't required to take Math, Science, English, and History each year prior to now? When I was in highschool I had to take math, science, english and history each year. We were only required to take PE once though. We were also required to take a foreign language.

I don't think you should be blaming anyone but your state congress who pass the public school requirements (or your school board). This is not the President's fault, IMO. Teachers should be accountable if they can't teach their classes (although teachers also need to have better pay if they do their job well, but that is another issue). If your school system feels that the only way to have their students pass national tests is to take away electives, then blame them, not the President.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 02-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
The state congresses are enacting all these measures based on a federact act that Bush signed into law, so in my mind he and the Congress are at fault approving this. The money from Bush's tax-cut and spend policy has to come from somewhere. This is part of a larger philosophy to undercut federal funding for education.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #13
The Lithium
USER INFO »
I think Bush would kiss his ass goodbye and let UN do the decisions!! What have that damb ass ever done well?

- Bush, let the world be!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-09-2004, 03:12 PM   #14
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM) I think Bush would kiss his ass goodbye and let UN do the decisions!! What have that damb ass ever done well?

- Bush, let the world be!
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 02-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #15
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by JulieLovesCreed)
My sentiments, exactly. I'd love to see what would happen to foreign nations if Bush followed Lithium's advice... talk about going to hell in a handbasket.