++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Entertainment Weekly Review...

Quote: (Originally Posted by IamFilthy) Could you please take the Stapp bashing elsewhere?

pay attention...the "bashing" going on is mostly of the review itself, NOT the album...

Quote: Can you please back this up with a "reasonable argument" b/c I don't think "musical preference" will hold water around here.

I think you'll find the answer to why the "prog-metal" moniker is inappropriate here in Summergirl's post...

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

oh, and I really like your sig, there, Filthy, although I'm a little confused about it, maybe you can help me...you don't have the WHOLE Entertainment Weekly review of Stapp's album in your sig...is that because they said this:
"That said, is there a more self-important rocker out there? His Hallmark card clichés and dull portentousness weigh down every track". (Note: I think they MEANT to say "pretentiousness" here, as it would make more sense). Or is it because they actually only gave it a C+?

Also, you have a negative review of AB on there, which is quite clever...well, no, it isn't, and I'll explain why: if you are wanting to compare it appropriately, I think that you should have the EW review of One Day Remains in comparison...oh, that's right, you probably looked that up and found out that EW gave ODR a B, which, I'm sure, even YOU know that a B is higher than a C+, don't you?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #17
Vliegs
USER INFO »

Pulling a few excerpts from the definition link for reasonable arguing purposes.

"ambitious, eclectic, and often grandiose style of rock music which arose in the late 1960s principally in England, reaching the peak of its popularity in the early 1970s, but continuing as a musical form to this day. Progressive rock was largely a European movement, and drew most of its influences from classical music and jazz fusion,"

I haven't heard Stapp EVER claim classical or jazz artists as his influences, but again there could be that ONE interview out there that says he took inspiration from Chopin and Fats Domino.

"Progressive rock artists sought to move away from the limitations of radio formatted rock and pop, and "progress" rock to the point that it could achieve the sophistication of jazz or classical music. It is admired by its fans for its complexity, requiring a high level of musical virtuosity to perform."

Complexity and virtuousity are not synonymous to Stapp's writing style. The thundering part mentioned in the review is true b/c he's constantly using his "sexy" growl to try inflecting more meaning than there actually is into his lyrics.

"Long compositions, sometimes running over 20 minutes, with intricate melodies and harmonies that require repeated listening to grasp. These are often described as epics and are the genre's clearest nod to classical music."

Again....clearly not Scott's style. Not saying that he has to have that style at all. Just pointing out the differences between what prog rock really is and Scott's music.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #18
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by IamFilthy) Could you please take the Stapp bashing elsewhere?
Do you read before you post? I wasn't bashing Stapp. I was bashing the review. Big difference.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:24 PM   #19
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

I read that over at the VH1 board myself and it just meerly gave me a little chuckle. Obviously that person has not heard prog metal at all, I think a little bit of dream theater shoved up that persons ass would show them the definition of "prog metal." I have heard clips of stapps solo album, and yes It's got some nice tight riffage, but tremonti produced just as good as stapp's backing band.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #20
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by IamFilthy) Can you please back this up with a "reasonable argument" b/c I don't think "musical preference" will hold water around here. Ya see, that is the same kinda posts I would leave on the AB page and I get threatened w/ banishment. Mmmmmm......do I smell HYPOCRISY...??

It has nothing what so ever to do with musical preference, it has everything to do with pointing out how musically inept the reviewer of stapp's solo album is.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:05 AM   #21
evyllsummer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by guitardude1985) I read that over at the VH1 board myself and it just meerly gave me a little chuckle. Obviously that person has not heard prog metal at all, I think a little bit of dream theater shoved up that persons ass would show them the definition of "prog metal."

yeah, again, that was my main issue...Stapp's album aside, that reviewer is pretty clueless when it comes to music...
Old 12-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #22
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

Well, he or she gave lindzay Lohan a B+ so it's not in the least bit surprising.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 AM   #23
shiver
USER INFO »

I think I could be a reviewer. Apparently you need no qualifications.

Um...Lemme see...

Scott Stapps new solo album seems to be made up of songs that didn't make Creed's last album, Weathered. As if that wasn't bad enough, he take pop and combines it with rock, which only brings down the whole rock genre even more.
lyrics: Already heard them three times before - D
Music: See above comment
Total combined grade: F
(Note: TCG takes into account factors not presented here before you)
Old 12-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #24
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

Wow, I can tell you are a stapp fan I tell you what
Old 12-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #25
The Lithium
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by IamFilthy) Can you please back this up with a "reasonable argument" b/c I don't think "musical preference" will hold water around here. Ya see, that is the same kinda posts I would leave on the AB page and I get threatened w/ banishment. Mmmmmm......do I smell HYPOCRISY...??
I'll back her arguments up for her, since I totally agree with her and you are a total pain in the ass!

1) Prog-metal? Well, that is just a joke... You don't have to agree with me, or Dogstar, on Scott Stapp, but at least admit it's nothing like prog-metal! If you don't, you don't wouldn't know prog-metal if it bit you in the face! I mean... This guy thinks TGD is prog-metal! Hell, this review can't be serious!

2) Well, this review is just a total punch in the face to every Creed fan. There is no way Goneblind is tighter than Creed was. Nor are they better musicians! It's thanks to Mark these guys made it! Mark took them under his wings. And what did they do? They did an album with Scott Stapp. But was Mark angry? No. He understood they just tried to make a name out of themselves. Then the drummer and one of the guitarists of GB came out to an Alter Bridge show. Mark met the guys, and said he would really appriciate it if they didn't play Creed songs. They promised that they wouldn't, and didn't even want to. They shoke hands on it, and what happens next? GB is preforming the weakest version I've ever heard, or seen, of Higher with Scott on Nascar. Now was Mark angry? Yes! They stabbed him in the back! --Secure: Michael Tremonti

And when "lack-of-own-material-Stapp" made his radio tour and played MARK's song: "My Sacrifice", they needed two guitarists... Both of them... To play what Mark plays. They needed two guys to sound like ONE Tremonti. Compare One Day Remains to The Great Divide. Doesn't matter which record you think is the best, Mark, Flip and Brian are, were, and always will be tighter than Goneblind!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor

Last edited by The Lithium : 12-18-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #26
ALECIA326
USER INFO »

Hi I don't post much just read.. I have a question.. Why is "My Sacrifice" Mark's song?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 PM   #27
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by ALECIA326) Hi I don't post much just read.. I have a question.. Why is "My Sacrifice" Mark's song?

Apparently anything he wrote the music for, automatically becomes "his" song. Though I did read an inteview with Robert Plant where they played My Sacrifice, and Plant thought the intro. sounded suspiciously like the Led Zeppelin song Kashmir.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:48 AM   #28
evyllsummer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) Apparently anything he wrote the music for, automatically becomes "his" song. Though I did read an inteview with Robert Plant where they played My Sacrifice, and Plant thought the intro. sounded suspiciously like the Led Zeppelin song Kashmir.

eh, well, Plant and Co got sued over "Whole Lotta Love" being a little too close to Willie Dixon's "You Need Love", and Dixon won, so Plant would know what he's talking about...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #29
RockGoddess
USER INFO »

I still say the intro to BW sounds like Hotel California. lol
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #30
evyllsummer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RockGoddess) I still say the intro to BW sounds like Hotel California. lol

yeah...