++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 04-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #1
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
interview with Jason Jones of Drowning Pool

On Thursday, exactly one year will have passed since Jason "Gong" Jones auditioned to be the new singer for Drowning Pool.

"I'm still waiting for them to tell me it's an April Fool's joke," Jones said just days before the band begins its first North American tour since frontman Dave Williams died of a heart attack on August 3, 2002.

The tragedy could have ended Drowning Pool, who listened to hundreds of demos and auditioned five singers before deciding Jones was their man (see "Drowning Pool Hire L.A. Tattoo Artist As New Singer"). The singer, who was first introduced to the band by Snot/ Amen guitarist Sonny Mayo, remembers how excited he was the day he tried out for Drowning Pool. Strangely, he wasn't nervous at all.

"I had a dream before I got there that I was talking to [bassist] Stevie [Benton], which is weird because I had never met the guy," Jones recalled. "I dreamed I had already auditioned and I said, 'What's up? Do I have the gig or what?' And he said, 'Dude, you've had the gig.' And I was like, 'What the hell?' So when I went in I was pretty confident. When you dream some weird sh-- like that, it's usually a good sign."

The tryout wasn't easy. Not only did Drowning Pool ask applicants to learn their material, they insisted that everyone come in with two new songs written in the band's style. But as soon as they plugged in, Drowning Pool and Jones immediately connected, and by the time they had finished running through a handful of songs, Jones was told to go back home to Los Angeles, collect his stuff, and come back to Dallas right away.

He overcame what could've been the biggest hurdle — trying to live up to Williams' legacy — by not even trying. "I realized I can never replace Dave," he said, "so I kept it out of my mind. Dave was Dave, I'm me."

Jones sounds right at home on the grinding grudge-rocker "Step Up," the first single from the band's upcoming Desensitized, due April 20. Drowning Pool wrote the song three months after Jones joined the band, and unlike the rest of the new disc, which is more straight-up hard rock than 2001's metallic Sinner, "Step Up" is driven by the kind of surging, adrenalized riffs that propelled the 2001 hit "Bodies."

"We needed to start with something that had that same kind of trip," Jones said. "Basically, [guitarist] C.J. [Pierce] came in with the riff, and we organized everything together, then I opened my mouth and sh-- just started pouring out."

"Step Up" was written about someone who meddled with Jones and suffered the consequences. For legal reasons, the singer can't discuss the details, but rest assured, whatever he didn't get out from the incident, he vents through the song. "It's cool, because now that person has to hear it all the time. ... That is probably the most therapeutic song on the record."

For Jones, being in Drowning Pool is the first really good break following years of hardships involving drugs, alcohol and missed opportunities. When he moved from his hometown of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, to Los Angeles, he had visions of becoming a star and living the high life, with the emphasis on high. Instead, he lived in a van for 18 months and was arrested several times. Eventually he got a job as a tattoo artist and was allowed to sleep in a band's rehearsal space, but he was still living hand-to-mouth.

"People were like, 'Look at this f---ing homeless guy,' " recalled Jones. "It's a struggle, man, and a lot of my songs are about the struggle."

But now the struggles are in the past. Drowning Pool are playing on the Headbangers Ball Tour with Hatebreed, Drowning Pool and Unearth (see "Hatebreed, Damageplan, Drowning Pool Taking 'Headbangers Ball' On The Road"). "Step Up" was featured as the lead track on the soundtrack for "The Punisher," and Jones was invited by ex-Evanescence guitarist Ben Moody to add vocals to a song called "The End Has Come," which also features Godhead frontman Jason Miller (see "First Song From New Drowning Pool Lineup On 'Punisher' LP").

"Ben is cool, bro," Jones said. "I was hanging out with him ... and he went, 'Dude, I've got this song that needs something heavy in it. The bridge needs to be heavy. If you wanna do it, it's yours.' And I went, 'Hell yeah.' I did the whole thing in one take."

—Jon Wiederhorn
Old 04-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
The Lithium
USER INFO »
If you wanna step up, you gotta get knocked down!!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 04-23-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Cool. Thanks for posting that. I was surprised they got a new lead singer and are continuting on. It doesn't even seem like it's been a whole year since Dave's death, when it's almost 2 years now. Time sure flies. I haven't heard much of their new stuff yet, but I hope to soon.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 04-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Yeah... man... i miss Dave... has anyone noticed the number of songs dedicated to dave? i mean Saliva & 7D are just a few of the bands that have dedicated songs/albums to him... and in like 1/2 the cds i own have RIP Dave or something in the booklet...

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 04-24-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
PaulMcCoygirl
USER INFO »
I like their new song, but personally I really don't like the new lead singer. I saw their video for Step Up and throughout the entire video, it just focuses on Jason Jones and hardly shows any of the band members.

---------------------------------------------------

Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile,
and finds in your presence that life is worth while.
So when you are lonely, remember it's true
Somebody somewhere is thinking of you
Old 04-24-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
widowmaker
USER INFO »
From what I've heard so far Mr. Jones sounds VERY promising.
And you've got to like the video It's got my man Ben Moody in it.
Also I thought Dave died on the 14th, not the 3rd
Old 04-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #7
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by PaulMcCoygirl) I like their new song, but personally I really don't like the new lead singer. I saw their video for Step Up and throughout the entire video, it just focuses on Jason Jones and hardly shows any of the band members.

There's another reason to not like the video.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
hide
USER INFO »
Jones is a Dave like singer, seems they were looking for that in a way. he does a good job.....
Old 04-25-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by hide) Jones is a Dave like singer, seems they were looking for that in a way. he does a good job.....
i think the new singer is good... but he doesn't compare to Dave...

Jesus + Guitars = Life