++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 05-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #16
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
65% General American English
15% Dixie
10% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
Old 05-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #17
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) I would like to remind everyone (particulary those inside the United States) that there is no such word as mom. In fact the word is mum and if I hear you say mom again the Queen of England will get James Bond on your ass!
Also it is not color but coloUr! lol

This has being a public service announcement by the Department of Proper Speaking under the authority of her majesty the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd of England.
1)
mom
n : informal terms for a mother

mum
n. A chrysanthemum.
adj. Not verbalizing; silent.
interj. Used as a command to stop speaking.
n. A strong beer originally brewed in Brunswick, Germany.
intr.v To act or play in a pantomime. -- The act of mumming. To go merrymaking in a mask or disguise especially during a festival.

2)
It is not "coloUr" because letters in the middle of words are not capitialized.

3) Part A
Our George Bush could kick your Queen Elizabeth's butt any day of the week.

3) Part B
At least we have a ruler who actually lives in our country!

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 05-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #18
RMadd
USER INFO »
Dixie is Southern: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Lousiana, Tennessee, South Carolina... perhaps North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia

60% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

That's kinda funny, b/c I'm from the Midwest.... I wonder if maybe they mean rural Midwest? Of course, they didn't ask how I pronounce "44" (in St. Louis, it's something to the effect of "farty-far".... people from KC & rural MO down here have commented on how i have long A's.... very long A's. for example, "mom" would sound a little bit closer to "mahm")

Last edited by RMadd : 05-05-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #19
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) I would like to remind everyone (particulary those inside the United States) that there is no such word as mom. In fact the word is mum and if I hear you say mom again the Queen of England will get James Bond on your ass!

This has being a public service announcement by the Department of Proper Speaking under the authority of her majesty the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd of England.
are we the only former British colony that decided to not be a bunch of British tools and spell everything the exact same way? "mum" just sounds fucking douchey (is that a word?). here, "mum" is either a type of flower or meaning "quiet".

Old 05-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #20
Trimontana
USER INFO »
[quote=RMadd]Dixie is Southern: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Lousiana, Tennessee, South Carolina... perhaps North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia
QUOTE]
Thanks for the explanation man
Old 05-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #21
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
65% General American English
15% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
10% Yankee
0% Midwestern
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 05-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #22
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) 1)
mom
n : informal terms for a mother

mum
n. A chrysanthemum.
adj. Not verbalizing; silent.
interj. Used as a command to stop speaking.
n. A strong beer originally brewed in Brunswick, Germany.
intr.v To act or play in a pantomime. -- The act of mumming. To go merrymaking in a mask or disguise especially during a festival.
and which dictionary did this come from? ah not the oxford! where does the english language come from? ah yes england i believe! lol the u.s of a is the only country in the english-speaking world (as far as i'm aware) that spells words differently and may i point out incorrectly!

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) 2)
It is not "coloUr" because letters in the middle of words are not capitialized.
you are right but i was just making a point.....now stop being lazy and put those u's pack in colour! lol

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) 3) Part A
Our George Bush could kick your Queen Elizabeth's butt any day of the week.
yeah but could he find her? he probably couldn't point to london on a map!
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) 3) Part B
At least we have a ruler who actually lives in our country!
this is true we should be a republic by now but this country has being colonised for about 200 years now (officially australia in 1901) and there has never being a war of indepedence or civil war. also we don't spend millions of dollars to elect our head of state.

aussie 1:
higher desire:0
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #23
Chase
USER INFO »

It's "mom," not "mum." It's "favorite," not "favourite." It's "realize," not "realise." It's "defense," not "defence."

hahahahahahaha

Anyway... here's my breakdown:
70% General American English
20% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

California English is actually it's own dialect... but I suppose that it's just incorporated into the "General American English." I went to visit family in Massachusetts during January... and they kept saying that I had an accent... probably because I pronounce the letter "r."

Last edited by Chase : 05-05-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #24
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
DANG IT! IM A HICK.
oh well. i should have seen that one coming.
50% Dixie
30% General American English
10% Yankee
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #25
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) this is true we should be a republic by now but this country has being colonised for about 200 years now (officially australia in 1901) and there has never being a war of indepedence or civil war. also we don't spend millions of dollars to elect our head of state.

Maybe you guys need a declaration of independence because your head of state is an old women who sits in a palace in a completely different continent. I would rather ELECT my head of state, in my opinion. C'mon you Aussies... it's easy... we got our independence won by a rag-tag bunch of farmer minutemen (with some help from the French).
Old 05-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #26
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Maybe you guys need a declaration of independence because your head of state is an old women who sits in a palace in a completely different continent. I would rather ELECT my head of state, in my opinion. C'mon you Aussies... it's easy... we got our independence won by a rag-tag bunch of farmer minutemen (with some help from the French).

yeah but you guys elect a president and look what you've elected. there was clinton who did not have sexual relations with that woman! lol now there is bush who has such intelligence he can give inspiring quotes like "our enemies never stop thinking about ways to destroy us, and neither do we" or something like that! what australia should do is simply replace the queen with a figurehead for a head of state that doesn't have any power and is not elected. the prime minister and his/her government continues to run the show, we just sever all ties with england. maybe we could challenge the poms to a game of cricket. if we win we're independent, if we lose we stay part of the commonwealth! we can't lose!
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #27
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) yeah but you guys elect a president and look what you've elected. there was clinton who did not have sexual relations with that woman! lol now there is bush who has such intelligence he can give inspiring quotes like "our enemies never stop thinking about ways to destroy us, and neither do we" or something like that! what australia should do is simply replace the queen with a figurehead for a head of state that doesn't have any power and is not elected. the prime minister and his/her government continues to run the show, we just sever all ties with england. maybe we could challenge the poms to a game of cricket. if we win we're independent, if we lose we stay part of the commonwealth! we can't lose!

Yes, look who we've elected. A man that has brought democratic governments to former totalitarian states like Afghanistan and Iraq. The elections in Afghanistan and Iraq have influenced the rise of freedom in Ukraine, Georgia (the European nation), Palestine, and Lebanon. Face it... Australia wouldn't lead a coalition to stand up to terrorists. Sure, you guys support our ventures (as seen in Iraq and we are very greatful for it) but no way in hell would you guys actually lead a war against a genocidal dictator that filled mass graves and raped the nation's little girls. You're making fun of the way George Bush speaks? Australians speak more broken English than America's biggest redneck. lol Just kidding. I love Australians... but you guys aren't necessarily known for your great linguistic skills either. The English think that we BOTH butchered their language (which we have).

All I have to say, is thankfully John Howard is your Prime Minister... and thankfully Great Britain is re-electing Tony Blair. G'day!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #28
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) and which dictionary did this come from? ah not the oxford! where does the english language come from? ah yes england i believe! lol the u.s of a is the only country in the english-speaking world (as far as i'm aware) that spells words differently and may i point out incorrectly!
Miriam-Websters

Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) you are right but i was just making a point.....now stop being lazy and put those u's pack in colour! lol
There is no U in color. Nor is there one in Labor.

Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) yeah but could he find her? he probably couldn't point to london on a map!
I only said he'd kick her butt. I never said anything about finding her. Hell, you couldn't even find her in Buckingham palace the place is so huge.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) this is true we should be a republic by now but this country has being colonised for about 200 years now (officially australia in 1901) and there has never being a war of indepedence or civil war. also we don't spend millions of dollars to elect our head of state.
There has never been a civil war in your land because there have never been two opinions. You're told what to do and you do it. Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to elect a head of state when you don't have one. It's much easier to use another country's monarch.

Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) aussie 1:
higher desire:0
Aussie: 1
Higher Desire: 1

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 05-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #29
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) and which dictionary did this come from? ah not the oxford! where does the english language come from? ah yes england i believe! lol the u.s of a is the only country in the english-speaking world (as far as i'm aware) that spells words differently and may i point out incorrectly!
and yet we're the only one that doesn't completely suck lol

i guess that pretty adequately explains why Australia is the single most powerful nation in the world. or Britain, for that matter. shit.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:08 AM   #30
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) California English is actually it's own dialect... but I suppose that it's just incorporated into the "General American English." I went to visit family in Massachusetts during January... and they kept saying that I had an accent... probably because I pronounce the letter "r."
that's fantastic! Wheah ah you fahm? but, pretty much every state or region has it's own dialect and what have you. and like i said above, i think the "midwestern" is prolly categorizing the rural midwest. i seem to generally use midwestern terminology (i've lived here since i was 3) and some southern phraseology ("y'all" and other words, tho generally for shits and giggles). so i dunno.