++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 01-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #1021
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Daily Bread

January 23rd

"Make time."

Many people believe in Christ, but they consciously remove Him from their hearts and minds. They don't have time for Him. What a tragedy! Too many people see life in Christ as slavery rather than freedom. They feel oppressed by the only true liberator that exists.

To understand Christ, we must spend time with Him. If we reject Him without even getting to know Him, we rob ourselves of any chance at redemption and salvation. As Christian people, we need to keep God close by us. We need to read His Word, dwell upon Him in our hearts, and speak of Him wherever and whenever possible. Keep the Lord close by you, and you will never feel alone.

The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

Psalm 10:4

You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it.

Charles Buxton

Heaven

Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #1022
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 24th

"The road to destruction."

Someone has said that the road to destruction is paved with good intentions. In this parable, Jesus is showing us that our actions prove our obedience or disobedience. Even though the one son had no intention of obeying, the fact that he obeyed in the end made him the obedient son. The other son said the right thing but didn't follow through, and he was therefore disobedient. We are reminded that our professions of faith are only as valid as the actions that follow them...

"But what do you think about this? A man with two sons told the older boy, 'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.' The son answered, 'No, I won't go,' but later he changed his mind and went anyway. Then the father told the other son, 'You go,' and he said, 'Yes, sir, I will.' But he didn't go. Which of the two was obeying his father?"

They replied, "The first of course."

Then Jesus explained the meaning "I assure you, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. For John the Baptist came and showed you the way to life, and you didn't believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to turn from your sins and believe him."

Matthew 21:28-32

The battle for the world is the battle for definitions.

Thomas Szasz

Heaven

Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 AM   #1023
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 25th

"Louder than words."

Our actions follow our thoughts like a heat-seeking missile follows the exhaust of a jet fighter's engine. So in a day when so much around us trains us to find the negative in life, we must aggressively think and pursue the character, the qualities, and the things of God's goodness.

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable ~ if anything is excellent or praiseworthy ~ think about such things.

Philippians 4:8

There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread.

Mother Teresa

Heaven

Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #1024
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 26th

"Always on duty."

What comfort there is to know that we are being watched over. This life provides some pretty treacherous waters, and we need to know that there is a divine lifeguard, ready to pull us up at a moment's notice. The Lord watches over us, not to stifle or oppress us, but to insure us a full, happy, and healthy life. We can tread life's waters knowing that there is nothing to fear, for the Lord is watching.

The Lord is in his holy temple, the Lord's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.

Psalm 11:4

When I get in over my head, Lord, be there to lift me up.

Dan R. Dick

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.

William Ellery Channing

Heaven

Old 01-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #1025
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 27th

"Trust"

Parents set up rules for their children: Clean up your room, don't go anywhere with a stranger; be home by 11 p.m. The purpose, of course, is for the children's benefit and protection; loving parents are not trying to make their children miserable by given them rules to follow. And parents hope that their children will understand rules as expressions of love and concern; they hope their children's obedience will be motivated more by love than by fear of punishment. Our obedience to Christ should likewise be an expression of our trust in his care for us.

If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you.… Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love them. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them.

Matthew 21:28-32

You have not really learned a commandment until you have obeyed it.

Vance Havner

Heaven

Old 01-28-2006, 07:26 AM   #1026
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 28th

"Focus on Christ."

Paul emphasized that followers of Christ need to keep eternity in view. We need to emphasize daily where to put our focus. We can succumb to selfish, earthbound thoughts, blurring our view of anything beyond the end of our nose. Or we can gaze through this sinful scene and fix our attention on things above, where Christ is seated at God's right hand and we with Him! Then, and only then, are we in a position to see what's most important in life.

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Colossians 3:2

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely;
And let me ne'er my trust betray,
But press to realms on high.

Wesley

Heaven

Old 01-29-2006, 08:08 AM   #1027
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 29th

"Coming down from a spiritual high."

Elijah experienced the depths of fatigue and discouragement just after his two great spiritual victories: the defeat of the prophets of Baal and the answered prayer for rain. To lead him out of depression, God first let Elijah rest and eat. Then God confronted him with the need to return to his mission in life—to be God's prophet.

Elijah's battles were not over; there was still work for him to do. Often discouragement sets in after great spiritual experiences, especially those that produce a high level of emotional excitement or that require a lot from us physically. When you feel let down after a spiritual "high," do what is necessary to restore your inner resources. And remember that God still has a purpose and plan for you.

Elijah was afraid and fled for his life.… Then he went alone into the desert.… He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die.

1 Kings 19:3-4

If the devil cannot make you puffed up by pride, he will try to dampen your spirit by discouragement. It's his best tool!

Unknown

It is never safe to look into the future with eyes of fear.

Edward Henry Harriman

Heaven

Old 01-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #1028
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 30th

"The Big Picture"

When people understand events clearly, we often say that they "see the big picture." This passage in Proverbs makes the point that the clearest view of the "big picture" will always include God. The sequence of rhetorical questions helps us consider the awesome identity and capacity of God. Much like the litany of questions that God showered on Job ( Job 38:1-41:34 ), these push us toward humble and silent worship.

Agur was feeling overwhelmed ( 30:1 ), insignificant ( 30:2 ), and limited ( 30:3 ). But when he turned away from his smallness to contemplate God's greatness, an atmosphere of confidence filled the rest of the chapter. He began with a little picture, no bigger than himself, but he soon looked at the big picture and forgot that he was weary and worn out. God gave him a new and refreshing point of view.

Who but God goes up to the heaven and comes back down? Who holds the wind in his fist? Who wraps up the oceans in his cloak? Who has created the whole wide world? What is his name, and his son's name? Tell me if you know

Proverbs 30:4

One of the best remedies for a weary and tired spirit is to contemplate the majesty and greatness of God.

Neil Wilson

Heaven

Old 01-31-2006, 06:07 AM   #1029
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

January 31st

"When hope fades..."

David's prayer recorded in this psalm essentially amounts to a simple, "Save me, I'm sinking." It's the cry of a desperate man who can't even think of helping himself. But at least David knew whom he needed to ask for help. Although he was exhausted from crying to the Lord in prayer, he kept on shouting to his God, the only one who could save him.

When waves of adversity threaten to drown you in despair, pray to God. Remember David's persistence, and keep on asking God for help.

Save me, O God, for the floodwaters are up to my neck.

Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can't find a foothold to stand on.

I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me.

I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched and dry.

My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me…

But I keep right on praying to you, Lord, hoping this is the time you will show me favor.

Psalm 69:1-3, 13

The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are first, hard work; second, stick-to-it-iveness; and third, common sense.

Thomas Edison

Heaven

Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 AM   #1030
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

February 1st

"Valor"

Moses commends Joshua to them for a leader; one whose wisdom, and courage, and affection they had long known; one whom God had appointed to be their leader; and therefore would own and bless. Joshua is well pleased to be admonished by Moses to be strong and of good courage.

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Deuteronomy 31:6

Valor lies just halfway between rashness and cowardice.

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

The Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, who was renowned for his picaresque novel Don Quixote de la Mancha, had as colorful and difficult a life as his hero. He was born in 1547 near Madrid. He lost the use of his left hand in the battle of Lepanto, after which Barbary pirates captured him and his crew for five years. Later, he was fired from his tax-collecting job and began writing Don Quixote in debtor's prison. It was published in 1605 and made him an overnight success. He died in 1616.

Heaven

Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #1031
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

February 2nd

"Am I in a cult?"

How can I believe in something I have never seen? Arguments against the existence of God can sound good, but they amount to nothing more than opinion in the face of fact. We walk by faith, not by sight. God is looking for faith-walkers. If we will follow what we know to be true with our hearts, instead of what we can be convinced of in our minds, then God will lead us and sustain us in all that we do.

Many of the things we anticipate and dream about are much less glorious in real life than they were in our imaginations. There is one event, however, that is better than we can imagine and beyond our wildest dreams. When Jesus returns to take us home to be with our Father, it will be far better than we can ask, imagine, dream or think!

The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

Psalm 14:2

As it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.

1 Corinthians 2:9

That is faith. To know that, no matter what I do, God will still save me.

Jay

He who cannot change the very fabric of his thought will never be able to change reality.

Anwar al-Sadat

Heaven

Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 AM   #1032
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

February 3rd

"Journal of hope."

Joshua reminded a discouraged people of all the times God had provided for them and demonstrated his goodness. Reviewing past blessings can encourage us to continue to serve God faithfully. Keep records, through a journal or a scrapbook or your blog, of the love God has shown for you. When you need encouragement, review what God has already done, revisiting the mementos of his work in your life. I invite you to remind yourselves (with your own words) the awesome ability Christ Jesus instills and works in, with and through you.

And read the Bible in order to refresh your knowledge of the many blessings God has given his people throughout history.

Joshua said to the people, "This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: …I took your ancestor Abraham from the land beyond the Euphrates and led him to the land of Canaan. I gave him many descendents through his son Isaac.… Then I sent Moses and Aaron, and I brought terrible plagues on Egypt; and afterward Ii brought you out as a free people.… With your very own eyes you saw what I did.… Finally, I brought you into the land of the Amorites on the east side of the Jordan. They fought against you, but I gave you victory over them, and you took possession of their land.… When you crossed the Jordan River and came to Jericho, the men of Jericho fought against you. There were also many others who fought you. … If was not your swords or bows that brought you victory. I gave you land you had not worked for, and I gave you cities you did not build—the cities in which you are now living. I gave you vineyards and olive groves for food, though you did not plant them.

Joshua 24:2-13

Overcoming discouragement brings great blessing.

Unknown

Heaven

Old 02-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #1033
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

February 4th

"Reforming thyself."

We are all called to be Christian in thought, deed, and word. If the love of God truly dwells in our hearts, then we should show it by the way we treat and talk about others. What we say matters a great deal, and God will judge us on our words and feelings, as well as on our actions. Some sins are as motes, while others are as beams; some as a gnat, others as a camel. Not that there is any sin little; if it be a mote, or splinter, it is in the eye; if a gnat, it is in the throat; both are painful and dangerous, and we cannot be easy or well till they are got out.

He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

Psalm 15:3

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Matthew 7:1

It is the property of fools, to be always judging.

Thomas Fuller

Heaven

Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #1034
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

February 5th

"See the value in all people equally as God does."

The Bible tells us that when we receive our rewards on earth, we have nothing to look forward to from God in the future. Our duty is to love and defend others, not take advantage of them. When we put other people's interests ahead of our own, then we can count on God's favor in the days to come.

He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

Psalm 15:5

There can be no equality or opportunity if men and women and children be not shielded in their lives from the consequences of great industrial and social processes which they cannot alter, control, or singly cope with.

Woodrow Wilson

Heaven

Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #1035
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »

February 6th

"One thing leads to another."

Since forgiveness is an expression of love, a person whose life has an endless supply of love should be demonstrating an endless supply of forgiveness. We can experience unlimited love in our relationship with God. It is this resource that makes it possible for us to forgive others again and again. First, we recognize that God forgives us time and time again. Second, we want to express God's love in a world that needs desperately to witness it.

Come back to me, and I will heal your wayward hearts.

1 Kings 19:3-4

Even if he wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, forgive him.

Luke 17:4

To err is human; to forgive, divine.

Alexander Pope

If we practice and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, soon the whole world will be blind and toothless.

Mahatma Gandhi

Heaven