++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #16
Chris98GT
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: anyone else concerned about Stapp's vocals?

Quote: (Originally Posted by BSC) I'm sure that if the guys didn't think Stapp's voice was good enough to go through this tour that they wouldn't have toured.
Money talks.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:05 AM   #17
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chris98GT) Money talks.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
Finaldecision
USER INFO »

The VH-1 video of Bullets was awesome! Stapp was not perfect at hitting every little note, but it was still OK and compared to some performances of the Weathered days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOeF5S2PTg) it was outstanding, also because he managed to hold the audience and put the right aggression into the "Look at me!" - part that this song is asking for.

The reason some things sound "flat" might as well be due to the fact they tuned the songs down. And the reason they tune it down is that they want to treat his voice with care, so he can manage to make it through the whole tour.
You also have to mind that he just recorded a new album and that the band was rehearsing a few days before, so he has already strained his voice in the last weeks.

I'm not saying that his vocals were absolutely perfect, there's still many things that could be improved and that might improve during the tour. But I think he found a good balance to preserve his voice on the one hand and make it a stirring perfomance on the other. And to find such a balance is not only important to make it through a tour, it's a sign of preffesionalism. Maybe the lessons with this vocal coach pay off now.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
BSC
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dark_Knight)

I don't think Creed would want to go back to the time where Scott was butchering songs, just to get some money.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

Ya i can kinda see now that his voice might be tired from making the record. In past havent they made the record and hit the road maybe a month or so after the record was released. I don't know but, Mark and Stapp looked like they were having fun ou there, not just for they money..
Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
perpetualchange
USER INFO »

Him being "tired" from recording in the studio isn't an excuse for not being able to sing on key. In fact, I doubt anything he's done in the studio would be so rigorous that change his voice even a little bit.

It's disappointing. I was watching the woodstock performance from 99 a couple nights ago, and then comparing it to Live and Loud. These performances are by far the worst I've seen of him at any point, even the average on the Weathered tour.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

clearly he doesnt have the same vocal ability he did when he was 26, but he is what he is now..people are coming away from the show saying how bad ass it was..very few are talking about his vocals off key..I am prepared to have a beer in each hand all night and the band kicking my ass, Stapp vocals 100% or not..

Last edited by XALTERBRIDGEX : 08-12-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #23
Agent D
USER INFO »

I surely hope the people who are complaining about his voice weren't people who were completely into this reunion tour with no reservations at all. It seems silly that some people are only just discovering that Stapp's voice has changed a bit over the years.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
perpetualchange
USER INFO »

I was into the reunion when I first heard of it happening. But after the interviews, and these performances, it seems like Stapp isn't really all that... different? I feel like we have the same self-important Stapp that sent Creed down the drain after Human Clay, only now he can't sing.

I hope I'm not getting people angry for saying this, it's just how I feel. If everyone disagrees and would rather not have me killing the mood, I'll stop.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
Chase
USER INFO »

People still pay big money to listen to Bob Dylan sound like he is hacking up a lung. Everyone ages, some people at a quicker rate than others. Eddie Vedder sounds different than he did in 1991. Liam Gallagher sounds different than he did in 1994. I don't know why you guys expect Stapp to be different.

Get over it. He's not the first singer to have a change in his voice. I actually think, to the average Creed hater, his voice and image will come off as a lot less annoying than they were 10 years ago.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
Agent D
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) I actually think, to the average Creed hater, his voice and image will come off as a lot less annoying than they were 10 years ago.

Hopefully. I hope the band as well as us fans are prepared for the huge backlash that will come as a result of this reunion.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
Chris98GT
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by perpetualchange) I was into the reunion when I first heard of it happening. But after the interviews, and these performances, it seems like Stapp isn't really all that... different? I feel like we have the same self-important Stapp that sent Creed down the drain after Human Clay, only now he can't sing.
I totally agree. I want Alter Bridge back ASAP.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

You guys need to have a little more faith, give the guy a chance...trust me I'm concerned as much as any of you (probably more) but it's not that easy to sing night after night in amphitheaters and arenas, it takes a toll on any singers voice.

These videos give me hope that he can recover because they're not from that long ago...(Solo show in Delray & a clip from the AFE tour)

Bullets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcx9F5wXs4
(it's actually in the right key too (D)

Criminal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm7IzEJgQac

He's pretty much spot on, I just think his voice is worn out from rehearsals, recording the new record & of course this tour but I do have hope for the guy that he can recover.

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 08-12-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #29
Tremontiriffs77
USER INFO »

you guys are so off base man...Yeah Alter Bridge rocks but their no Creed...Backlash?Oh you mean them selling millions of records compared to the half a millian Alter Bridge sold in 5 years...C'mon man the Myles love affair needs to stop..The reason Tremonti is doing this is because he wants to be in the biggest rock band on the planet again..period
Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

correction AB sold about 750,000 between 2 albums sold in the states, not sure about overseas. ya AB is not as successful but they dont have songs that play on pop stations like Creed.