++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-03-2002, 12:00 AM   #16
Tantraess
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
You know? I know exactly how this kid feels. So much so, that I cried when I read his post. I know what he read, because I read the same thing this morning and it made me react in a similar way. I am not sure if I can put a link on here to another BBS site so I will try to copy the parts that he was talking about on here. Be prepared because there is quite a bit to copy. This will be a combination of 2 different reviews to the Washington Concert. I will try to edit them down so they won’t be quite as big. Here goes.

1st Review
Scott really struggled on WGMB, it really pained me to watch him (listen to him) trying to nail the chorus. I thought for sure at that point, we were NOT going to get a whole show, and that he was going to lose his voice altogether.

OLB he started to recover, and by Weathered, he had gotten it back almost 100%.

It was immediately obvious, to me, that he was drunk. Not by the way he was acting, although he did stumble a few times (although how could he not with all the dancing and hopping around he was doing), but by the way he really slurred his words when speaking.

For the intro to Weathered: Scott was talking about how he had written the lyrics (not knowing they were lyrics at the time), generally just the way he was feeling, and then his "friend" came over and said that he had music for that, and Scott said "You just made all my problems go away"...then the intro was "This next song speaks my FUCKING mind."

Yes, I seriously took notes, all over my arm!! I had to get these right, they were too precious to not remember...

I have "why the fuck?" written here, but now I can't remember why...it's right next to where I wrote "Women Lie" and then "do you know the truth?" and "why won't you tell me?"

We got the f-bomb, no LESS than 10 times...this was bullshit, that was bullshit...it was unbelievable.

Before Torn, Stapp says "I was torn in 1996, and I'm torn in 2002..."

After Weathered, he says..."How many of you think I am just whining and bitching with that song?" a few people cheered, and he says "Fuck you then"..."How many of you think I am just getting some stuff of my chest?" more people cheered, and he says "Well I respect you all then, cause your all fucking right!"

I swear to God, I could not keep my eyes off of him all night, waiting to see what was going to happen next. I had to remind myself a couple of times to watch Brett, Mark and Flip...!!!

Lullaby...this was terribly odd. They returned for the encore, and Scott just started singing it..a cappella. It was like none of the other guys knew he was going to do it. And it was BAD...horrible, his voice just wouldn't click in, the verses and were all mixed up...he wanted us to sing with him, but there was no telling where he was in the song because he seemed lost as well. He finally broke into an embarrassed smile (from what I concurred) and laughed...finished it up, and they went into Higher.

Scott asked how many of us had seen a CREED show before, then said "You haven't seen me like THIS before, huh? Well, this is the REAL me."...paraphrasing now, went on to say what he has at previous shows about letting it all hang out, the fans were where he had truth left, where he could trust us to let his feelings out, and open up with us.

He played around with the guys a lot, that was cool to see. He really seemed to be having a good time...messing with Mark's guitar, Brett's bass...and we got the symbal smashes. Lots of humping going on, but that is almost passe compared to what's been happening. Mark got his head rubbed a couple of times.

2nd Review- (This is the one Jon must have read.)

Scott is having an emotional meltdown. Think PSU and Dayton. What I saw is a man in so much pain he didn't know which way to turn. And is trying to fulfill their commitments, trying very hard to give the audience what they came for even though his own cup is empty.

This is not temper tantrum, bruised ego, I-didn't-get-my-way, drama queen stuff. This is what you feel when your core gets challenged--what you hold dear, what is sacred and precious to you, how you identify yourself, what you've thought was true, your ideals...This is the serious life-changing stuff. You can't ignore it, repress it, or run away. And there's no going back. I hope with all my heart he finds his way through before he destroys himself.

His eyes when he sang Lullabye are going to haunt me for a long time. Soooo much pain (he had tears)...confusion...longing. Hope that there can be love and it will be enough. I think he was singing it to the fans and himself, too, not just thinking of Jagger. Well, I have to go cry for awhile, my heart just twists in two thinking of those eyes.

Think I'll post this bit and then come back and do the rest of the review. By the way, I would guess many people would think it was a KICKASS show! Tremonti totally amazed me!

Okay, here's the rest of it.

Scott's face was real puffy, close to Access Hollywood look. He had real problems with his voice. In one song, pretty sure it was WGMB, he was singing in a whole other key. Mark tried to change to match and couldn't, so struggled through. Don't know if his monitor was screwed up and he couldn't hear the guitar or what. In a bizarre way it matched the song which is why I think it was WGMB--"so disconnected"--quite arty in fact. It MIGHT have been on purpose (not for Mark, though!). He talked a lot, same as recent shows.

Random comments and actions:

"...everybody you trust is a liar. I'm standing on stage with the people I trust. And I trust you. (pointing at fans)"

"I felt alone this week" (intro to OLB? asking if we ever felt alone)

intro to Hide, I think. "I didn't know what the hell I was talking about when I wrote this. (said a bunch of stuff). I know where I SHOULD be, so why the fuck am I not there?" (Louds cheers for that--said it just right for how most of us feel, how we think our lives should be and what we've been working towards versus how our lives actually are)

During Weathered, Scott put the top of his head against Mark's cheek. He left it there long enough that Mark started to look worried about him.

After Weathered, he asked "How many of you think I'm bitchin'?" Plenty of crowd response. Then he said "Fuck you!"
Then he asked a question I couldn't understand and the crowd roared. He said "I respect both of you, 'cause I AM a bitch!" Crowd loved it.

Sometime around MOP, he had 2 microphone stands and he took one apart and handed it into the pit? Don't know what that was about.

"You've never seen me this way before. I'm sharing my heart with you. This is real."

His intro to WAWO was heart-breaking. He was wide-open honest, some stuff he said at other shows, ie. how through his son's eyes he could see with innocence again, (more), but so far he still hasn't learned how to greet the world with arms wide open, though he's trying. The way he said it...and then the way he sang the song...well, heart-breaking. I actually sat there and cried for Scott during the song. (Okay, so I cry pretty easily.) I'm an idealist, too, and it is very rough when you can't reach your ideals. (Though I must say, the idea of greeting the world with arms wide open sounds foolhardy to me.)

Mark and Flip and Brett were GREAT! Mark totally took my breath away in "SayI". WOW, can he play guitar! Mark and Brett moved aroung the stage quite a bit. Stapp was everywhere, of course. Mark even hung out on the catwalk longer than I expected from what others have said.

They all went from looking like they were having fun to...well, being so alarmed by Scott's behavior I swear their hair should have been standing up on their heads! To back to having fun. It was definitely a live show with a what-in-the-world-is-going-to-happen-next feel, for both the band and crowd.

At one point toward the end (before encore), Scott shoved the mic in Mark's face to sing the next words and Mark said, in a tight voice, "I don't sing!" and looked like he's just as soon grab Scott by the scruff of the neck and kick his butt.

End of Reviews.

It’s hard for me to handle and I am an adult……
Old 12-03-2002, 12:13 AM   #17
KBoo925
USER INFO »
Oh My God....these reviews are so disturbing. I can't really believe this is the same person on stage that I saw the last 4 times! He sounds so sad and confused and I'm wondering what will happen with the rest of the shows and the one we'll see in Philly next month. It breaks my heart....sigh....that this man who has literaly saved me during so many moments with his music, could be in so much pain and there's no way to reach out to him! I may be really behind here....but, what exactly happened with Hilarie? I know they broke up.. Ugh, that's his business anyway. I feel strange discussing his personal life. I just wish I could tell him how much he and his music means to me, and that I know in some way what he feels because I've been there before. Sigh...it feels good to put this out there, thanks. Praying for peace, for us all.
Karin
Old 12-03-2002, 12:26 AM   #18
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I don't even know where to begin to respond. It's heartbreaking stuff for sure. He does seem to be in a world of pain.

My feeling about the PSU show was that it was more about frustration than pain because of the myriad technical problems. At that show, the incident with Hilaree hadn't been publicized. This show was five days after the incident. He didn't seem drunk at all, just a little fired up and more bad-ass than I had seen him. He did drop a couple of f-bombs.

I really do think he is at a crossroads, personally for sure, and maybe even professionally. Not to say anything negative about him because I know we all like him, but he does seem to have worked really hard to cultivate a certain image. And while it may be *nicer* image, I prefer a more honest approach and give him credit for trying to show is true colors, whatever they may be, and that he is human. We all have our struggles in life, and at least he is still trying to show up for work despite them, just as we all have to do.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:44 AM   #19
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
oh my god...that was heart breaking, i had tears in my eyes just reading what scott did on stage...that is awful! man i can't believe this is OUR scott OUR scoot doing all of this stuff! i don't think i'll come back to this thread it just makes me cry
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 AM   #20
Tantraess
USER INFO »
Amen
Old 12-03-2002, 10:03 AM   #21
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Has anyone heard anything about lastnights show? Wasn't someone on the board going to it? How did he do?
Old 12-03-2002, 10:36 AM   #22
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
ouch!

they need a break, definately... they need to calm down, and wait things to settle down..that was a hard year both for Mark and Stapp...
I don´t know about Flip, coz unfortunately, people don´t pay attention at him... that´s unfair, he´s so funny!
they don´t deserve this...

I think they shouldn´t keep performing, this way, they´ll get burnt...
Old 12-03-2002, 11:54 AM   #23
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by hotforscott
Has anyone heard anything about lastnights show? Wasn't someone on the board going to it? How did he do?

Souldancer, thecandlylady and Altair were all there, I believe. I got a quick note from Souldancer, who said it rocked. She said Scott's heart and soul were definitely into the show (no surprise there), but that his body seemed tired as did his voice on a few songs. I'm sure we'll hear more later.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:20 PM   #24
hotforscott
USER INFO »
If you hear anything else, let us know, I would love to hear more.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:46 PM   #25
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Scott Stapps body and soul surely need a rest......and my prayer was just sent his way... and for the rest of the Creed band also.....
Old 12-03-2002, 04:28 PM   #26
Creed23
USER INFO »
Dont be scared God will lead him.

-Michelle Branch
Old 12-03-2002, 05:43 PM   #27
creedfan47a
USER INFO »
I know people have said on here that all the problems Scott and the band have had this year will make them produce some really intense and meaningful songs for the next album. But I think I would prefer that they have peaceful, happy lives and not put out much music next year, rather than them have messed up lives and be driven to the edge.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:01 PM   #28
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I would like to see them take a long relaxing break. They say all things happen for a reason. Let's hope they can draw on their experiences from the past year, good and bad and have some great songs to write, but not until they are rested and healed both in body and mind.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 12-03-2002, 06:39 PM   #29
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I Agree. I want them to be around for years to come so when my kids are 14 I can take them to see them and if it means not seeing them live for 2 years then so be it. I want them to be healthy and happy. I think whatever number of things are making the band feel this way needs to be dealt with and they need some time to do that and then to rest afterwards and come back better then ever.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #30
faceless kiwi
USER INFO »
When i saw creed in march, scott just looked so happy on stage. He enjoyed himself and just looked like a guy whose life was going not totally great, but going ok.
Its really sad to hear this.
Its sad such a decent guy has to go through this.
I respect him for letting all this out at his shows, although how couldn't he. And for still goin through with the shows after this happnened. Maybe not only did he not wanna let the fans down, but i think he probably needs to still be doing shows, to just simply keep him going.

And as we gathered in the ashes
Said "fire em up boys and let 'em go"
They're making music for the masses
Sliced up real thin for the radio.

Now all that you took for granted
Has been replaced. Replaced by an actor. And now that you're left with nothing but more of the same.
Who do you think you are?
Who do you think you are?
You all sound the same, With nothing to say. We say your an actor!."

PACIFIER- NOTHING